Want to learn more about the enemy factions in Helldivers 2? Stick around. We’ll cover everything you need to know to get the upper hand in combat and save Super Earth from an invasion.
In Helldivers 2, you’re tasked with the job of saving Super Earth from an invasion of hostile alien species. Taking on missions alongside friends can help you come up with effective strategies to take down your enemies, but you’ll need to know exactly what you’re up against to determine the best course of action. Luckily, there are just two enemy factions you’ll encounter in Helldivers 2. However, both groups consist of several variants equipped with unique skills and attacks. Here’s everything you need to know about the alien enemies you’ll face off against on each mission.
- Enlist in the Helldivers and join the fight for freedom across a hostile galaxy in a fast, frantic, and ferocious third-person shooter.
- Become a Legend – You will be assembled into squads of up to four Helldivers and assigned strategic missions. Watch each other’s back – friendly fire is an unfortunate certainty of war, but victory without teamwork is impossible.
- Loadouts – Rain down freedom from above, sneak through enemy territory, or grit your teeth and charge head-first into the jaws of combat. How you deliver liberty is your choice; you’ll have access to a wide array of explosive firepower, life-saving armour and battle-changing stratagems… the jewel in every Helldiver’s arsenal.
- Requisition – Super Earth recognises your hard work with valuable Requisition. Use it to access different rewards that benefit you, your squad, your destroyer ship and our overall war effort.
- Threats – Everything on every planet wants you dead. That’s what we’re dealing with. Each enemy has distinct and unpredictable characteristics, tactics, and behaviour – but they all fight ferociously and without fear or morality.
What Are the Enemy Factions in Helldivers 2?
In Helldivers 2, there are two distinct enemy factions that you’re up against in the fight to save Super Earth from an alien invasion of sorts. These include the Terminids and Automatons. For all intents and purposes, we’re talking insects and robots.
While both groups are undeniably hostile, they’re also equipped with entirely different sets of skills, strengths, weakness, and weaponry at their disposal. Because of this, it’s in your best interest to understand what you’re getting into when you engage in combat with either faction. Let’s break down the key differences.
Terminids are likely the first kind of enemy you’ll face in Helldivers 2, primarily showing up in the eastern region of the Galactic Map. While most bugs aren’t exactly intimidating, this faction is comprised of gigantic insect-like enemies that are certainly nothing to scoff at. They let out awful screeches like war-cries of sorts, so listen closely and check your map to determine their whereabouts.
Three subspecies of Terminids and a boss-like enemy can be encountered, each with their own set of skills. The standard enemies are the smallest of the three and the easiest to take out. If you can manage a head-shot, however, you’re golden. Next is the slightly larger variant, which has a whitish hue. They’re much faster and more agile than their standard counterparts, so they can easily cause trouble if you become overwhelmed by a horde. Finally, there’s the armored subspecies. They boast incredible defenses and much larger builds than the other two variants, making them the most threatening of the bunch.
Aside from these common subspecies, you’ll meet the Brood Commander, which is the toughest of the bunch. They’re a dark, blood-red color, hinting at their merciless nature. like the armored variant, they’re defense-heavy and must be taken down with your most powerful weapons and stratagems.
Here is a list of all known Terminid variants:
The Automatons have invaded the western region of the Galactic Map in Helldivers 2. In general, these highly intelligent robot enemies wield all sorts of weaponry, from firearms to melee weapons. Like the Terminids, Automatons also fall under several different subspecies, each sporting different skills.
The most common come equipped with standard firearms or grenades. Again, they’re far less capable than their more powerful counterparts, but they’re still able to cause some trouble if you aren’t prepared for their attacks. Headshots can take them out instantly, so your best bet is to aim carefully.
Apart from these Automatons, you’ll find others wielding melee weapons like chainsaws and blades. While they appear much more intimidating than their weaker variants, they’re only effective at close range. Good aim will give you the upper hand here. With that being said, both Automaton subspecies will call for backup if you don’t take them out in a timely manner. Because of this, you’ll want to take a stealthy approach against them.
Here is a list of all known Automatons:
- Scout Strider
For more on Helldivers 2, check out these guides from our team: