If you’re looking forward to teaming up with friends in Helldivers 2, then you might be wondering if you can play in couch co-op or split-screen. We have the answer to this burning question. Read on for all the details.
Helldivers 2 it out now, tasking you with taking out hordes of intergalactic opponents on various missions and quests to save Super Earth. While you can opt to go solo, your job is made easier with the help of friends. You can assemble squads of up to four players to strategize, face off against foes, and maybe even engage in a bit of friendly fire. Given the third-person shooter relies so heavily on online matchmaking, is it possible to play Helldivers 2 in couch co-op or split-screen? Here’s what you need to know before you get your squad together.
- Enlist in the Helldivers and join the fight for freedom across a hostile galaxy in a fast, frantic, and ferocious third-person shooter.
- Become a Legend – You will be assembled into squads of up to four Helldivers and assigned strategic missions. Watch each other’s back – friendly fire is an unfortunate certainty of war, but victory without teamwork is impossible.
- Loadouts – Rain down freedom from above, sneak through enemy territory, or grit your teeth and charge head-first into the jaws of combat. How you deliver liberty is your choice; you’ll have access to a wide array of explosive firepower, life-saving armour and battle-changing stratagems… the jewel in every Helldiver’s arsenal.
- Requisition – Super Earth recognises your hard work with valuable Requisition. Use it to access different rewards that benefit you, your squad, your destroyer ship and our overall war effort.
- Threats – Everything on every planet wants you dead. That’s what we’re dealing with. Each enemy has distinct and unpredictable characteristics, tactics, and behaviour – but they all fight ferociously and without fear or morality.
Can You Play Helldivers 2 in Couch Co-op?
Unfortunately, Helldivers 2 does not support couch co-op. While it’s certainly possible that developers at Arrowhead Game Studios might make the decision to implement support for this feature down the line, those who elect to play with friends will need to join a squad in online multiplayer for the time being.
That being said, couch co-op support is becoming increasingly more obsolete with the release of new gaming titles. Online multiplayer game modes have all but taken the place of this classic feature, which required you to join up with friends on the same console for a gaming session. While online multiplayer modes tend to be more accessible in the grand scheme of things, many Helldivers 2 players remain hopeful that couch co-op support will be added in the future.
Can You Play in Split-Screen?
Without couch co-op support, you also can’t play Helldivers 2 in split-screen. This feature is virtually exclusive to couch co-op games, so it only makes sense that it’s not supported in the new third-person shooter from Arrowhead. If devs do elect to implement couch co-op support down the line, however, players will certainly see this feature added along with it.