Submitted by BakedGoods 1838d ago | article

Best and Worst Developer Acquisitions in Gaming History

Capital game lists some of the industry's best and worst, including purchases made by Microsoft, EA and Sony. (EA, Industry, Microsoft, Sony)

SOAD  +   1844d ago
Ensemble was not a bad acquisition. No acquisition has to be a bad acquisition. You take a studio of talented developers or at the very least competent developers, and you give them some funding and some time, and let their creative energy ferment a little and see what they can come up with.

I have a belief that most of these developers, whether you consider them good or bad, at least know how to make a game, so all that needs to be done is they need to be disciplined.

Case in point, Guerrilla Games. GG doesn't have a very good track record if you go far enough into their history. They used to be called "Lost Boys," and they made games for Gameboy, PS2, and Xbox. And their games were pretty bad, very bad, actually.

But Sony gave them funding and let them work on a grand, exclusive game, and they came up with Killzone, which was a pretty good shooter from a developer who was known for Shellshock: Nam 67, one of the crappiest shooters ever.

And now, GG has spearheaded the Killzone franchise into greateness.

Where there's talent, there's potential.

I don't think that RARE is a bad studio. I think that some good guys left the studio and people lost confidence in RARE, but worst of all, Microsoft chooses not to utilize RARE for anything special. MS orders RARE to make Avatars and Avatar accessories and now Kinect games.

I think if Microsoft gave RARE a bigger budget and more time, RARE could come up with a very great game.

Also, Ensemble made Age of Empires, so they were not a bad acquisition by Microsoft and therefore should not be in the honorable mention for worst acquisition.

Microsoft doesn't utilize its studios well.
#1 (Edited 1844d ago ) | Agree(18) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
BakedGoods  +   1844d ago
Yeah, Halo Wars was pretty good, but I think the fact the MS took Ensemble a developer who always had a proven track record, and basically threw Halo at them then disbanded them right after they were done, it's kinda like 'use and abuse'. If Ensemble stayed independent they could have completed Halo Wars then maybe ventured out with a new RTS IP. Who knows?
Conloles  +   1838d ago
I dislike that many still bash Rare, I had a lot of fun with BK:N&B and the Viva Pinata series.
vsr  +   1838d ago
EVERY sony aquisitions are BEST
Honest_gamer  +   1838d ago
well
i loved halo wars it was a really good RTS (for consuls never held a candle to Dawn of war thought IMO)
bringitson   1838d ago | Spam
AssassinHD  +   1838d ago
@Soad
That is a lucid, intelligent, and well thought out comment. Bubbles for you and the first person who figures out the reference I am making with this response. No googling.
#1.2 (Edited 1838d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
AssassinHD  +   1838d ago
Double post.
#1.3 (Edited 1838d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Spenok  +   1838d ago
Ensemble was a TERRIBLE acqusition. As soon as they finished Halo Wars they were disolved as a studio. To which they promptly said F-U to Microsoft and made there own studio.
safetyUnit  +   1844d ago
didnt know about some of these. Like the GTA guys originally doing lemmings? thats so old school!
#2 (Edited 1844d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
The-Tentacle  +   1844d ago
Seems like everything Microsoft touches turns to shit.
MRJENKINS  +   1844d ago
@The-Tentacle
really? i heard fanboys have the same effect on everything..
kasasensei  +   1838d ago
@jenkins
Well said buddy, bubble for you.
#3.1.1 (Edited 1838d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(8) | Report
The-Tentacle  +   1844d ago
@mrjenkins (reply fail)
Zune, Kin, HD-DVD, numerous development studios, windows vista, windows phone 7, Encarta, Ms dewey, Bing (probably), DOS 4.0, IE 5, bob, active x, clippy, winME

and just because a lot of people have been dumb enough to buy (and re-buy and re-buy...) their broken xbox even though it has numerous hardware faults and general bad design choices it's deemed successful?

add it to the list I say.
#4 (Edited 1844d ago ) | Agree(21) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
Awesome_Face  +   1838d ago
Your just an ignorant fanboy who is missing out on a multitude of great appliances due to blind hate
darkmurder  +   1838d ago
Wow so you bash HD-DVD which wasnt even Microsofts own property, they just chose to back it. Vista wasn't even bad it was blown over by media hype, Encarta used to be the most used in the world till Wiki came. How you can say that Bing (probably) when its consistently gaining market share has failed bemuses me. Windows phone 7 hasn't even launched lol.

Then there's Zune which whilst it hasnt been commercially successful is a kick ass media player which is better than the iPhone in all things bar apps.

You're just a deluded sad little fanboy but of course Sony has never released a bad product cough Betamax cough. I could make a list too but unlike you I don't take a gripe on companies just because they're from a rival platform of a gaming console.
mrv321  +   1838d ago
Vista wasn't that BAD? Sure it didn't make me sick, but man it was inefficent, problematic and unless you reinstalled every 3 months you'd notice such a performance drop.

I made a switch to Ubuntu because Vista was THAT bad.

Trust me Bing will fail because at the end of the day the internet is google.

Betamax which provided advanced quality was still used in television into this century BTW.
SilverSlug  +   1838d ago
SEGA's Creative Assembly and Sports Interactive
didn't make the list? Football Manager and Total War franchise are some of the biggest selling games in Europe.
04soldier  +   1838d ago
good point tentacle....
On topic... I feel rare is the biggest bust this gen.. They made one of my favorite games on the N64, yet they havent had a single AAA game since then.

I buy an xbox if they brought back the comic-satire-genius that was Conkers bad fur day...
psycho360  +   1838d ago
Where is 3D Realms in here? SHould be the worst dev ever.

Edit: oops sorry misread the heading. It's accquistions, not worst and best devs.
#7 (Edited 1838d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
wenaldy  +   1838d ago
I would say Media Molecule..
fdgfgfg   1838d ago | Spam
PSjesus  +   1838d ago
RARE made me buy two consols in the past
I was SEGA fan and bought SNES for DKC,PS1 fan and got N64 for B&Z and Conker.
Now they are really one of the worst,even i,m sad for M$ losing 400m$ on them.
-MD-  +   1838d ago
I take it you haven't played Nuts and Bolts? PDZ was the most fun game in 2005. Viva Pinata is loved by nearly everyone that played it.

You have no idea what you're talking about.
Cheeseknight28  +   1838d ago
Yeah really. Rare's games aren't the classics like they used to be but Nuts & Bolts and Viva-Pinata 1/2 are all excellent games.
yumena1   1838d ago | Spam
TANUKI  +   1838d ago
:'( I'm still reeling from the loss of Westwood and Ensemble studios. I would say Blizzard and the Actibision merger, but still a bit too early to speculate.

My 10 most anticipated games still to come out in 2015 - Xbox Enthusiast

18m ago - Steve C. writes - "We’re more than half way through 2015 now, and it has been a good gaming year... | Xbox One

The Best Books on Games to Watch Out For

18m ago - Gamemoir's Bryan offers a brief overview of a few books on games worth checking out. | Culture

Filmwatch Contest Details

Now - Come celebrate Independence Day with us on Filmwatch and win cool prizes. | Promoted post

Heroes of the Storm: Leoric is Broken

18m ago - Leoric is the latest hero to be released for Heroes of the Storm. Blizzard is normally fairly ade... | PC

The Skyrim Forgotten City Mod Promises To Be Spectacular

18m ago - Skyrim Fansite writes: "The Skyrim Forgotten City mod is launching this October. It’s no secre... | PC

Retro City Rampage is Getting a Limited Edition MS-DOS Floppy Disk Release

19m ago - Here's an odd one for you: Retro City Rampage will be getting a special limited release on the ob... | PC