Submitted by ajaxmoroni 123d ago | opinion piece

Microtransactions in Console Games: Does a Dark Future Await?

With the just-announced price drop of the Xbox One, the removal of the Kinect, and the recent hiring of the games-focused Phil Spencer as new head of the Xbox division, Microsoft is backing off extremely hard from their initial branding as an always-on living room service and joining the Playstation 4’s price as more of a classic console. This might be good news for the future of consoles, but it’s also indicative of how perilous the console market is right now. (Android, Dev, EA, Industry, iPad, iPhone, Kinect, Microsoft, Mobile, PC, PS3, PS4, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

Kingthrash360  +   123d ago
Not if we don't buy in.
madpuppy  +   123d ago
microtransactions would be fine...if all games with microtransactions were free. I'm not forking over 60.00 for a game I cannot complete without being nickel and dimed, and if microtransactions effect gameplay at all they should be banned.
ZodTheRipper  +   122d ago
What's with complicated examples like Driveclub where it's basically half-free? I think that it depends on the game itself and on the content you can buy ...let me start with saying that I never bought any ingame stuff and I'll probably never do - but if the game itself is build without microtransactions in mind and you can progress through it without them, then I can live with microtransactions added in for people who would like to speed things up. It's just extremely important that games are not being designed around microtransactions AT ALL. I think that Microtransactions can be a good thing (as a CHOICE) for developers and consumers alike just as long as nobody feels shortchanged.
ziggurcat  +   122d ago
well luckily for you there hasn't been a single instance where micro transactions have affected anything in any of the games they've been implemented, nor have they prevented anyone from acquiring the same items through natural progression that have been made available via micro transaction.
Jrmy84  +   122d ago
Was going to say the same thing. We pay enough for games already $60 plus if you buy collector editions.
#1.1.3 (Edited 122d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
slivery  +   122d ago
Good luck with that, it's one rare situation that people actually give enough of a shit to work together on such a large scale to make a change for a slightly better world.

I could say the same about fossil fuels, something we shouldn't even be using anymore or things like paying for electricity that can be made for free but people pay out the ass for it regardless of knowing that. It is easier for people to just take it rather than deal with the struggle of fighting against it.

Just like people will continue to pay for microtransactions regardless of how it affects the industry.

People have been screwing up the world like this for centuries, it will never change as history runs in a continual loop, many don't have the intelligence or ambitions to want more out of life. A better future for others or even their children. They could not care as long as they drag by in their own little bubble, they are okay with it.

It will only get worse as time goes by, just about everyone these days is ripping us off but barely anyone cares and that is why these companies and practices will continue till the day every human is dead. The world is definitely a lost cause, there is no turning back now, we passed the point of no return ages ago.
#1.2 (Edited 122d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Omnisonne  +   122d ago
Well explained, I sometimes really wonder what the future will hold (10-20y from now) should things keep going like this.

I dont really worry about gaming though, sure the big companies might try screw us over (and some will bend over).
But for the ones that refuse to, theres more than enough upcoming devs and devs with common sense (CD Projekt) that will continu to breathe life into gaming.

More than anything I see the community dividing in 2 sides: dumbasses and real gamers. Real gamers who have been there long before and will always be there to create and enjoy. And most importantly care about their fellow gamers, as opposed to random ex-lawyers and managers that just jumped into the industry to make $$$.

Apologies for the long post
randomass171  +   122d ago
Kingthrash360 speaks words of truth.
clonerz  +   123d ago
Its coming but its up to us as consumers as to how much we are willing to be hosed
#2 (Edited 123d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Mega24  +   123d ago
its coming... it has been here for the last 8 years, microtrans have been a part of consoles since Guitar Hero 2 or 3 I think.
Multipass   123d ago | Spam
clonerz  +   123d ago
I was talking about dark future of microtransactions not microtransaction itself I myself have spent alot of money on dlc
s45gr32  +   122d ago
Nope started last generation with Dead Space 3 were the gamer needed real money to modify and improve his/her weapons. What Guitar Hero offered was DLC. In contrast Dead Space 3 had both DLC and micro transactions and the game still cost $60.00 plus tax. The point is to not allow micro transactions for $60.00 games. Free to play solution can be found in extra creditz youtube channel.
aiBreeze  +   123d ago
Microtransactions can be a good thing, it's just a real shame that companies feel the need to ruin it and be greedy. If developers/publishers want to extend a game's life by adding in new content down the line, I don't see how that is a bad thing for fans of the game.

It's things like digital currency that bother me though. Letting people take shortcuts which can have a drastic effect to online modes by letting them buy the best stuff with real cash. Worse still, you then get games like GTA Online which (on the first few weeks at least) was clearly designed around trying to encourage people to buy ingame currency for real money by charging ridiculous amounts for dying and guns + ammo.

When games get designed around microtranactions is where the real problem lays. I don't see anything wrong with map packs and even funky weapon skins (providing they're not included on the disc then "unlocked" by buying them separately.
#3 (Edited 123d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
SegaGamer  +   123d ago
I despise these things.

It's bad enough when they rip pieces out of games and then release them as DLC and call them "extra content" what a load of BS. It's very very rare that it is indeed extra content. Now we see this crap coming into gaming more and more. It will get to the point where i am playing an RPG and if i want to upgrade my armor or weapons i will need to pay REAL money for it.

DLC like i was talking about above and Microtransactions don't do the gaming world any good, it takes the fun out of it and ruins it.
#4 (Edited 123d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
s45gr32  +   122d ago
Best statement ever, now I see why game developers got rid off map editors and free unlock ables to nickel and dime the consumer. What is the point of 50gb discs when map editors or free unlockables are available.
ajaxmoroni  +   123d ago
Join the boycott by igniting the petition.
ajaxmoroni  +   123d ago
Join the boycott by signing the petition.
SegaGamer  +   123d ago
I have signed it, is there a way to view how many signatures it has received ?
crusf  +   123d ago
It's already happening.
BG11579  +   123d ago
I remember that some company tried to impose DRM on a console. Why did they backup already? Oh we should definitely try that.
TuxedoMoon  +   122d ago
It's been happening with DLC!
Capcom's shady business practices with their games, Selling the REAL ending to Asura's Wrath for example. Dead Space 3 with it's material stuff...A dark future is ahead...
KakashiHotake  +   122d ago
Microtransactions have no place on consoles. I understand from a developers point of view it's a extra revenue stream, but what they don't understand is it also has the potential to destroy consoles entirely. I think this is one thing that all console gamers can agree on as most of us have been gaming for a long time. It's one thing to have it on mobile where mostly casuals play, but consoles and PC is where the real gamers game.
#10 (Edited 122d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
LightDiego  +   122d ago
Last generation we had DLCs and season pass, now we have microtransactions too.
D3ATH_DRIV3R_777  +   122d ago
Hell no if it don't break the game! but if it does and i paid $60.00 dollars for it, then yes, i'll have a serious problem with it. And yes a dark future will await if so, but devs are not stupid to do that with a big budget game by you paying high dollar for it, and just have microtransactions left and right. That will be stupid if they did that to a big titled game that they put their heart and soul into.
DualWielding  +   122d ago
I understand the concern but I doubt a petition would help, we can all do our part by no paying for any microtransactions, other than that we can only hope the suckers aren't that many
mydyingparadiselost  +   122d ago
"Some have suggested that if gamers simply refuse to buy them that they’ll sell poorly, fail and everything will be hunky dory. A recent study performed by mobile marketing firm, Swrve, however, showed that almost 98.5% of the people who download IAP-heavy games on mobile don’t buy microtransactions at all. Yet somehow, the other 1.5% is holding up a multi-billion dollar industry. If this same dynamic were to take hold in core gaming markets, what the average gamer wanted would become relatively unimportant to the companies that finance video games."

This is from another recent article about microtransactions and it's the truth, an entire industry is being held up by a small percentage of people that make these transactions. With a system that allows profit from so few people actually buying anything it doesn't matter if you or tons of other people don't buy, as long as someone is willing to part with their money we all wind up losing.
DualWielding  +   122d ago
but developers wouldn't care about a petition if those people keep making them money with pay to play so the only hope is still that not enough people fall for it for it to be more lucrative than traditional pay to play
kingduqc  +   122d ago
Console market already gave in in paying just to play online so...
Jrmy84  +   122d ago
I'm glad I use my PC for my online gaming fix. I have no gold or PS+. I did gold for awhile, I ended up just going back to play online via my PC. I only fell for the micro transaction one time.
jnemesh  +   121d ago
Don't buy EA branded games and half the problem is solved right there!
HardcoreDroid  +   115d ago
Historically speaking, there have been countless boycotts that have forced corporate change. Wiki: "boycott."

I know it scares some and others thinks it's a dream that's understandable I guess. We just ask that you muster some faith and cajones and sign on.

We are pumped about the results so far and we've only just gotten started. If you are on our side of the fence, don't buy into the false and limp argument that a boycott can't work. Instead, read the truth about them online or get a book on them--library, Amazon, however you acquire your reading material--then join us and add your name to the good fight by signing the boycott.
#17 (Edited 115d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

Hands-on preview: Far Cry 4 | PC & Tech Authority

13m ago - As great as the previous Far Cry games were it's hard to deny that Far Cry 3 was a break-out hit... | PC

The Home Button – Episode 1

35m ago - On the inaugural episode of The Home Button, our (temporally sort-of) host Jean-Luc makes Nate sh... | Xbox 360

Valve Complete Pack on Sale For $25 on Steam

35m ago - Hardcore Gamer: Valve usually only puts their complete back catalog on sale during the big season... | PC

Hulk Hogan Joins the Cast of Crazy Taxi: City Rush in Free Update

36m ago - Hardcore Gamer: LEMME TELL YA SOMETHING MEAN GENE! IT’S TIME FOR ME AND ALL MY HULKAMANIACS TO GO... | iPhone

Start Making Games for the PS4

The Evil Within's getting a comic book adaptation

36m ago - Titan Comics is set to release a prequel comic of The Evil Within as part of its New York Comic C... | Culture