Submitted by MarioAna 135d ago | opinion piece

Forget resolution and frame rates; gaming has bigger things to fix.

Since the start of the 7th generation the battleground for fanboys has largely been graphical; which system produces the best visuals at the best framerate. Now the fact is that the jump from generation six (Xbox, PS2) to generation seven (360, PS3, Wii (LOL)) was startling and this kept the wars going for pretty much the entire generation. Along with which company got which exclusives there really wasn’t much else gamers looked for in improvements. (Industry, Microsoft, Nintendo, PS3, PS4, Sony, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

Hugodastrevas  +   135d ago
M$ would love if we forgot about Framerate and resolution, with them living in the clouds and all that!
Matt666  +   135d ago
there a lot more to gaming then resolution and frame rate there no point playing a game with a boring story line or where there not much to do, there needs to be a better balance of both graphics and gameplay but gameplay should come first.
kingdip90  +   135d ago
That's true but if you can play the same games (multiplatform) at a higher resolution then what is the excuse not to? It's not as though the gameplay is going to be different.
#1.1.1 (Edited 135d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(5) | Report
wonderfulmonkeyman  +   135d ago
@ King

Here's one for ya; supporting a lower-res version would convince devs that they don't NEED to waste tons of extra cash on developing for higher res.
It puts them at less financial risk if a game flops in that case, and if other trends follow, eventually it would end up in models of game development that are less costly to the developers that will still make gorgeous-looking games that play great for us, the consumers.

Our wallets have more power than most people think, as far as developer influence.
If we support the more cost-friendly projects that focus on new ways of playing the games, over the huge money sinks that likely won't really offer much better beyond graphics, then developers will start steering away from what's costly and, in the end, shallow,[aka, the looks] and will focus more of their money into making games just PLAY better.
MarioAna  +   135d ago
Don't forget all the secret sauce, hold the fries.
Hugodastrevas  +   135d ago
Do you want me to supersize that with some eSRam?
C-H-E-F  +   135d ago
Hmm.. how about we start with articles like these "forgetting about these articles". In case you haven't realized author, there's been a change in consumer wants and needs. The average console consumer now wants REALLY REALLY PURRRRRTTY games to play along with GREAT GAMEPLAY. End of story, Microsoft flopped this gen when it comes to the hardware department. It's just the change of the tide, the ps3 had it rough in the beginning maybe devs will find out how to make really really good looking 720p/ 30fps games hey, the PS3 1st party devs managed it so no excuses.
#1.3 (Edited 135d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
wonderfulmonkeyman  +   135d ago
I think it's kind of sad that the change of tide has come down to consumers becoming, basically, a bunch of Ravens.
Show them something sparkly enough to cause hype through some exciting cinematics, and they'll dive on it without hesitation.
If that's the way the tides are changing, I'd rather take the risk of drowning by swimming against it.
At least I'll die floating amongst a ton of games that have much more focus on gameplay than on sparkles.
#1.3.1 (Edited 135d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
ALLWRONG  +   135d ago
I'm sure Sony and GG would like to forget the past couple weeks.
nosferatuzodd  +   135d ago
Well said to the ai part but not so much to.everything else
#2 (Edited 135d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Dirkster_Dude  +   135d ago
What this article has stated is something the 360 and XB1 are precisely trying to work on. Cloud computing has allowed the A.I. controlled cars called drivetars in Forza 5 to become painfully realistic. Voice and motion control without the controller is also being worked on with KINECT. It isn't perfect, but compared to what the PS3 and PS4 is offering it is worth acknowledging that Microsoft is trying to make it work. Microsoft's botched launch means they have so many other problems that this feels like big weight around everyone's neck especially since it costs an extra $100 for the privilege of what is essentially a beta tester.
#3 (Edited 135d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
Cupid_Viper_3  +   135d ago
Lol @ Dirkster_Dude

"Cloud computing has allowed the A.I. controlled cars called drivetars in Forza 5 to become painfully realistic."

How does that slogan go again...? Oh yeah, "Have you seen Titanfall?"
lonewolfjedi  +   135d ago
there is a long list of things that need improving
ShinnokDrako  +   135d ago
I want those fixes (AI over all), the resolution AND the framerate. I'm getting all of that with my PS4 + PC
Tiqila  +   135d ago
My wishlist for future game improvements:
- better AI
- no loading times
- minimum resolution of 1920x1080p at 60fps
- stable online play, no connection issues or long idle-times in matchmaking lobbies

There are more, and they are all equally utopian. Still I would like that graphics are not the only component which constantly improves with new games.
C-H-E-F  +   135d ago
Sounds like... power of the Playstation....'Where Amazing Happens'
Moncole  +   135d ago
Get a gaming PC.
Tiqila  +   135d ago
I have: i5-4670 (3.2Ghz), radeon 7970 and 8GB RAM, SSD

You think that this makes the AI any better, or diminishes loading times? True, resolution and fps are nice and usually it is loading fast, but I want no noticable loading times at all and I want all that for consoles too... And I know that this is utopic.
Moncole  +   135d ago
Put games on an SSD and games will load faster but its up to the dev for great AI and since they always focus on how the game looks we will hardly get great AI.
starchild  +   135d ago
Honestly the PC is going to get you closer to fulfilling your wishlist than any other gaming platform.
Kraftwerk  +   135d ago
"Gaming has bigger things to fix"

Let's start with imagination and creativity.
MarioAna  +   135d ago
Those I fear have been needed in all entertainment firms for the last few decades. I'm not sure we will be seeing much headway there.
Hugodastrevas  +   135d ago
Do you guys have a minute to spare for our lord and savior Dark Souls?
SolidGear3  +   135d ago
The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, Portal 2, Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain, Mass Effect .. to name some
DC777  +   135d ago
I think where I would like games to go in the future is to have actual choice. Making game changing decisions that affects the entire game and I don't mean the lame linear ones implemented in the past. That's about the only new direction I can see to go to from here that's not more of the same.

Other than that I'll still dream about the open console.
MegaSackman  +   135d ago
Gaming is fine, it just needs to shoot things less and it'll be great.
#9 (Edited 135d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
JunkyardWillie  +   135d ago
When this generation hit all of a sudden it's not about graphics and resolution. If that was the case games would have still been at 480I -_- and I bought a NEXT GEN for a reason. And I'm willing to bet 99.8% of these people who say "graphics isn't everything" wouldn't choose a Nintendo DS over a next gen system.
#10 (Edited 135d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
DCfan  +   135d ago
Im actually more interested in a DS more than all next gen offerings.
Reeze  +   135d ago
I'm not sure whether to take this article seriously or not.

"There's more to gaming we need to focus on than graphics"
Mm-hmm... I agree.

"We need to add more gay lead characters"
...how is this the thing you think should be improved on in gaming? Not the style, greedy microtransactions, varied genres- we just need more gay and female characters and every problem will be solved.

Really?
thaiboy  +   135d ago
There have actually been a few articles on trans-gender gamers wanting to play as their "real" selves.

I think the idea is not to push one or the other but to allow people the choice and from there, craft the story and gameplay around that choice, to a degree of course.
jazmac  +   135d ago
"Now we sit with 1080p and 60fps (mostly) and who really cares about the odd game that’s at 900p or dips to 40fps?"

lol what complete bullshit for 1080p you can argue that the ps4 might be getting that most of the time...maybe...

Definitely untrue for the xbox one in almost all cases.

But none of the games on the console aside from I think maybe forza 5 (racing game, no surprises there...) are running at a solid 60fps, any that claim to do so consistently drop and hang around the 40-50 area and the rest are capped at 30 and of those they can drop as low as 16 fps like in Dead Rising 3 and RYSE.
starchild  +   135d ago
You're right. There isn't a single graphically demanding game on the PS4 or XB1 that runs at both 1080p and 60fps. Call of Duty Ghosts is about the only game I can think of that does (although it still has drops), but everybody said it has last gen graphics so I don't think it really counts. Even last gen Call of Duty games were running at 60fps.
#12.1 (Edited 135d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
DualWielding  +   135d ago
I like the idea of gay and non unrealistically attractive female characters (to be fair most male video game characters are also unrealistically attractive). However, I don't see how not arguing about resolution helps the cause. You can campaign for more diversity on main characters and argue with opposing console fanboys about resolution..... the two things are completely unrelated.
jazmac  +   135d ago
Ye tbh It sounds like the guy is pushing an agenda unrelated to improving gaming more than anything else.

I don't think most people are interested in playing as a 40 year old fat lesbian woman in their fantasy games (although there are exceptions).

Games like mass effect and dragon age really have already solved this 'problem' in that they allow you to pick and choose how your character looks and behaves.

They just need to expand upon that (and I'm sure they will) and keep doing what they're doing.
JunkyardWillie  +   135d ago
Lol 40yr old fat lesbian. A Rosie O'Donald game
Cobra951  +   135d ago
You beat me to the punch. I expected a real story starting off with a much needed rejection of the tech war dominating current console discussion. But instead, we got a political push to the left. Keep overt social agendas out of my gaming, please. They're prominent enough irl already.
MAULxx  +   135d ago
This article is a big waste of space on the net and I actually wasted my time reading it.
Gay lead characters? Why would I want that? That's not moving forward that's moving backward.
I think Shadows of Mordor has the potential to move things forward. The things their doing with the AI sounds incredible.
If they can pull it off it will be something special.
#14 (Edited 135d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
thaiboy  +   135d ago
After reading the article it doesn't seem like he is pushing gay character but more of a message like - take gaming in new directions, more innovation and less specs. I tend to agree with it, gaming needs a push toward something new and fresh (not necessarily gay leads) but something new.

All us gamers seem to compare and moan about are specs, graphics and the like, when we should be complaining about story, mechanics, message and engagement.
MAULxx  +   135d ago
It was one of his points that I just didn't agree with, among others.
I do agree with gaming becoming something better and new ideas. It already happening. Maybe not in giant leaps but look at the Nemesis System in Shadows of Mordor. Look at the acting in InFamous SS. Not just the actors facial expressions but their entire physical performances are in the game. It's becoming something to take serious. Things are being put into these new gen games. New ideas are being tried. If you think about it, a lot of little things add up and build up on each other. The Nemesis system alone is a great idea that could be huge. The fact we're getting great performances from actors that's captured in a more refined & detailed way. It's happening now. The new round of hardware has spurred ideas and creativity. If you want a niche game you'll have to look at crowd funded/indie games where they are making the game they want to make for the fans of that particular niche. That's not to say that new ideas and gameplay aspects will never find their way into big AAA games. And I'm not saying that a big AAA game won't have any new ideas of their own. Some do & some don't. Some will and some won't.
#14.1.1 (Edited 135d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
TristanPR77  +   135d ago
It has come down to this

X1:
Forget about resolution. Sacrifice visuals and a good Gameplay is your only hope.

PS4:
Have the best of both worlds, visuals and Gameplay . Don't settle for less.
Geobros  +   134d ago
I would agree with this article if it wasn't so "aggressive". I agree in general that the fights between fans for graphics are ridiculous....

Twitch Allows Cross-Stream Channel Hosting; Users Choose Their Hosted Channels

29m ago - If you’ve ever spent hours on end playing games for the public and felt like your time has gone t... | PC

Planet Explorers: SteamFirst Impressions

1h ago - SteamFirst: Every Saturday morning as a child, I would be glued to my TV in eager anticipation of... | PC

Let's Play - Trine 2

1h ago - Join Geoff, Jack, and Gavin as they play Trine 2. | PC

Let's Build in Minecraft - Monopoly Part 3

1h ago - Geoff and Gavin are back building in Minecraft for "Monopoly Part 3." | PC

Looking for a great Pokemon Community?

Now - Look no further. Join us at the BulbaGarden Forums, the best community for everything Pokemon | Promoted post

First Hour: Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty

2h ago - Abe is BACK in this remake of the Playstation 1 classic! Colin checks out the First Hour of Oddwo... | PC