Submitted by nick4761 351d ago | opinion piece

Are Games Worth What We Pay?

Games are starting to become a little more expensive between retail price and additional cost of DLC. Are all games worth a $60 price tag? (Industry, inFamous: Second Son, Madden 25, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

« 1 2 »
corvusmd  +   351d ago
Some yes and some no. It depends how much we enjoy them. Like for me, I paid $30 for Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeros, and despite being a huge fan of the series, I spent more time watching the ending cinematic than playing the game. Although the game does look gorgeous and I'm looking forward to Phantom Pain, GZ was basically a glorified demo. On the other hand, games like Titanfall an COD I've played for over 170 hours each, meaning that the entertainment they have brought me is less than $.40 an hour...where else can you entertain yourself than well for that cheap? I'm not sure I'd have that much fun standing in my yard waving a stick...it's not 1080p/60fps :)

Side note, I love this picture that was used for the article...it cracks me up.
#1 (Edited 351d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(12) | Report | Reply
Becuzisaid  +   351d ago
I'm pretty sure someone disagreed with you just because you said you enjoyed Titanfall. How dare you have the opinion that you do.

On topic though. Well said.
darthv72  +   351d ago
I've grown up with games for so many years and this subject always keeps getting brought up. I can remember when there was this big consumer push to get companies to lower the costs of the games and it worked for a while back in the 90's.

Then that "while" wore off and we were back to paying $60+ for games again. We were told that the increased cost was due to the newer technology in making the games. the media used (as that time we went from carts to cd) and how because of such advancements it justified the costs the companies were charging.

But now here we are...again...with the same topic of discussion. The mfg costs should be significantly lower based on the materials used to make the games. Yet we are told the development costs are the main reason they are asking for the prices they do.

But then why are we getting incomplete games? Day one patches or DLC released later on for a small fee (free is better but still) and then within 6mos of being on the market these games get reduced to crazy prices that make you wonder why they didnt just release at something more reasonable in the first place.

Nobody ever said this hobby was cheap but it could be more affordable if they really wanted to sell their wares.
#1.1.1 (Edited 351d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(1) | Report
Army_of_Darkness  +   351d ago
Recently paid $15 (regular price) for Child of light. Best purchase I have ever made on a game. Really well worth it cause it's an awesome and pretty lengthy game! hell I'm surprised they didn't charge $60 for this gem! and This game is like an old school Jrpg, but with a twist to keep you busy and active during battles. Buy it if you enjoy JRPG's
#1.1.2 (Edited 351d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
3-4-5  +   351d ago
Most = No

Some = Yes

The Rare = worth even more than we pay
xPhearR3dx  +   351d ago
I agree. Most games you feel are worth the $60 and within a week or so, you shelf it and never touch it again until years later. There's been many games I've spent $60 on that during the first couple days I felt was worth it, but after spending more time with it, I could have easily waited and spend half the amount and still be satisfied.

Then of course there's games that are over quicker, and don't last as long, but leave that lasting appeal. Then in my case, which I'm sure I'm the minority on N4G, is a game like ESO. I spent $100 on the Imperial Edition (being a huge TES fan that I am), and I've played the game over 400 hours and counting.

A game is only worth what it is to the person buying it.
3-4-5  +   351d ago
GTA 5 = I regret buying day 1 for $60.

Crimson Skies - I would pay $100 for right now!
XisThatKid  +   351d ago
Depends form game to game imo
marloc_x  +   350d ago
Nintendo games? Absolutely. .
Baka-akaB  +   351d ago
@Becuzisaid

Nope in my case . i just disagreed based on being tired of the "GZ being a demo" argument . Barely fits to me , when only a few time did a demo even provide such content , even accounting the raw length of a first run on normal settings ... and for lesser games .

Plus i feel these days that people easily buying similarly short if not shorter games , based on the easily accepted premise and idea that "so called indies should mean short yet worth 20 bucks" . Well some are worth the 20 bucks , some arent necessarily , but no one complains .

So yeah i'll easily be the sheep , buy the exceptional occurance of a prologue for a usually cult game serie , and get the warrented disagrees . And let other pretend it will be a gateway for something that's essential already there .
#1.4 (Edited 351d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Ghost_Nappa  +   351d ago
Far cry blood dragon was $15 and had a longer campaign
Baka-akaB  +   351d ago
And ? Vanquish was 3-4h ,6 to 10 pushing it , if you suck ... at 60$ at release (and worth it to most fans , myself included) . And there are low budget indies at 15-20 dollars . There were always games that are shorter or longer released at a given price . Length never necessarily led to cheaper games , in any era of gaming

Like i said some are worth it , others arent .
#1.4.2 (Edited 351d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
Dark11  +   351d ago
I agree .. i still regret paying $60 for infamous SS.
the game is enjoyable but way too short.
Tetsujin  +   351d ago
My gripe is when a game is hyped as the second coming, only to learn there's already DLC planned at a later time (or day 1). Then the companies bitch/complain because "not enough sales;" then release some "GotY" or "Complete" version at either reduced price or at full price with everything included.

I grew up in a time where games had unlocks; that was the drive to continue playing, and that's where the value of a game came in. Games like Chrono Trigger had 15 different endings, and if it was made for the audience today those endings/extras would have been paid dlc for the "full experience." Watch Dogs I wanted to play, however, now that they announced DLC I'm gonna wait until some "full" version is announced (say what you want, I'm not spending $ anymore on games that already mention dlc/expansions before it's even released outside MMOs, and even then it's a big "if").

I want companies to realize just because "cost of gaming" went up doesn't mean everyone has the $ to just throw away on medicore games and/or games with cut content for that extra boost in income. I've already limited myself from purchasing a lot of games because anymore it's based on how much a company can get away with ripping customer off instead of amplifying the positive experience.
GotHDGame  +   351d ago
Yup, I just payed 13 bucks for Assassins Creed 3 for Wii U, because I am like the only gamer on the planet who has not played it.
Also, so many of you kids do not remember the time when a Colecovision, Atari, Pong, Magnovox odyssey, game cost, Oh yeah, you could pay $70 for a no bit game
#2 (Edited 351d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
GotHDGame  +   351d ago
Stupid article, do some research and see what a game cost in the 80's. N64 games were at least $60.... and that was in the 90's.
#3 (Edited 351d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
tyler01durden77  +   351d ago
I still have the £45 price gun sticker on a MegaDrive copy of Ghouls & Ghosts. Tough game but it can be beat in an hour.

Compare that to Infamous Second Son which I just completed with 100%. That took ages. Now I can play through again with Evil Karma, so I'm really just 50% though.

Modern games are easily worth the price tag if (a) they're AAA and (b) You collect all the achievements / do the side missions etc.
ThatEnglishDude  +   351d ago
Games, like anything, are only worth as much as you get out of it. Stupid question really.
#5 (Edited 351d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SG1_dapunisherX  +   351d ago
Yes if you're type of gamer who like fps, sports, action, & rpg games.
matt139  +   351d ago
So you mean every genre basically?
SG1_dapunisherX  +   351d ago
Pretty much
aLucidMind  +   351d ago
The genre doesn't matter, what matters is the quality of it. I can name one game in each of those genres that were worth it (minus sports, not into sports games), one worth more than the $60 I paid, and several in each that were not worth it at all. More often than not, they're not worth the price tag.
Applejack  +   351d ago
Video game prices were about the same since the early 90s. I remember SNES games being between $40 and $50 dollars which would be around $60-70 with inflation. Didn't change much did it?
ShaunCameron  +   351d ago
Not only that but wages were lower back then.
Bonkerz  +   351d ago
It all depends if YOU feel you are enjoying it enough for what you paid. I may love a certain game and someone else may find it to suck, so it varies from person to person.
aLucidMind  +   351d ago
Yes and no. There are some games that should never have been released at $60, $40, or even $30 (looking at you, Ground Zeroes) for one reason or another. What a game is worth and how someone values it are two totally separate things.

If you enjoy a $10 game enough that it was worth the $60 you paid, more power to you but that doesn't override the fact that the game is objectively worth $10.
Baccra17  +   351d ago
Nope.
uth11  +   351d ago
Some are definately worth it.

Games I'm not sure about I'll wait for them to go on sale or get a price cut.
incendy35  +   351d ago
Love how they are showing MGS Ground Zeroes as a related article :D

Although for the record I love Ground Zeroes! It was worth it to me.
#11 (Edited 351d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
DualWielding  +   351d ago
No games are worth that but if you are patient now you can get games for much less a couple months after release i never buy games at launch
aLucidMind  +   351d ago
Couple weeks, more often than not lol.
LogicStomper  +   351d ago
Value is dependent on personal experience.
GoPanthers999  +   351d ago
We are lucky they are not more. In the 80s and 90s, yes I am dating myself, games were $40 to $50 and I remember paying $400 for my Sega Saturn. Honestly, this is little to no price increase other than a AAA title with DLC up at $75 to $100 or a Skylanders draining you for $250+. Also, there are so many more retailers now and constant sales and price wars. It is an amazing time to be a gamer!
Gohadouken  +   351d ago
I feel that fighting games get a sometimes underserved rep in that area . People forget being lured and tempted into buying AT FULL PRICE - at a time games were more expensive - two to three updated versions of a same numbered fighting game . All of that based on the fact that we couldnt update the cartridges , and pre ps3/360 versions of those games .

And now we are at a juncture where some people complain no matter what .

Give them dlc characters , they'll complain about being sold cut parts or the price of each characters , whatever the behind the scenes and reasons , are about said releases .

Propose them an update expansion two ways , one with a dlc pack expansion cheaper , or even a new disc at a discounted price ? Still complaints

Answer a strong demand from an existing base for yet another version ? To , i insist , satisfy the demand of a fanbase that do demand it ? And still complaints from people that mostly dont even care , but need a forum to vent their anti dlc frustations . Or grudges with a publisher
#15 (Edited 351d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
TXIDarkAvenger  +   351d ago
For me it depends how much hours of gameplay I get out of it though I rarely pay full price for games anymore. It's really personal preference for the most part. For example some people may like beating the main story and that's the end of the game for them where others would replay the game, change difficulty, go back and find collectibles, try to get all the achievements, etc...
#16 (Edited 351d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
DJustinUNCHAIND  +   351d ago
Games today need more replay value.
ShaunCameron  +   351d ago
Replay value is subjective.
RebelWAC  +   351d ago
SP focused games like Fallout, TLOU, Dragon Age, Skyrim and Mass Effect yes considering the content provided in these titles. Annual MP focused and alway online games like COD, Madden, Battlefield, FIFA, NBA 2k etc are losing value for many reasons IMO.

Maybe things are moving too fast in a hurry or maybe I´m just getting too old for this but if you ask me, the gap between satisfaction after finishing a game let alone playing one is getting bigger by the minute.
Fixay  +   351d ago
Some games yes and others no.

I pay ridiculous amounts of money when going to the cinema, so I kind of justify the price by that lol

Multiplayer games for me also justify the price a bit more, more replay-ability etc Also just simply being able to play the same game as your friend helps make the price a lot more reasonable.
TrollingKoala  +   351d ago
In Australia it is absolute BS, people in America have to pay around about $60 for a AAA new release maybe a bit more for special editions, in Australia you have to pay $100 for a AAA game and if we were paying the same amount that Americans were paying in AUS dollar it would be something like $65 at most, absolute BS and people over there are complaining wow.
Summons75  +   351d ago
Depends on the person playing/paying. I only buy games day 1 I know for a fact I will enjoy, if there is ever a doubt then I hold off for a sale or price drop or buy it spontaneously somewhere down the line. Example I'll never buy Call of Duty due to it's poor game quality and how it holds tons of content back and tries to make me purchase and it's way overpriced too, however Drakenguard 3 comes out tomorrow and I am buying that because I know I will enjoy the game because I loved the first two and Nier. Doesn't mean I have regretted purchases before but it's very rare when I do.
ChickenOfTheCaveMan  +   351d ago
Enjoyable games will make money not only with the game itself but also DLC asked by fans of the game. So the price is fair for both sides.

Sure they'll make high budget games with no return on investment, but that's because the game is broken, boring, not well done.

Where price is too high is digital; no distribution and packaging costs, players can't resell, lend them and need to use their bandwidth to get them, but same price, that's the biggest joke of the last gen and the current gen. It should be 25-33% less.
ZombieGamerMan  +   351d ago
Worth is subjective to each individual
CanadianTurtle  +   351d ago
I look at it this way. When I go see a movie, I pay 15 bucks for a ticket for 2-3 hours of quality entertainment.

I usually buy my games when they're on sale, so for example, I get TitanFall on the 360 for 40 dollars. That is pretty much a month's worth of entertainment.

Or if I get a JRPG/RPG for around 30 dollars, that is at least 2 months of entertainment. I'm not the kind of person that spends playing an RPG for 7 hours a day. I put in a max of 3 hours per day
tamarkovia1  +   351d ago
Most hard core gamers at least those who can afford it are supporting the development and creation of the games. I tend to buy my fave genres on release out of my own personal needs and in some way I feel I'm giving back to the studio. Does that make sense.
wheatley  +   351d ago
Some are certainly, but you can't really compare all to a 100 hour open world adventure in terms of worth.

If I've spent money to experience something different than the usual genre game, then that's definitely worth something. The Stanley Parable was absolutely fantastic and offered a few different paths. The chance to talk about the game is great as well and added to the enjoyment.

Other games chance their arm, offer nothing new, and make you feel shortchanged and/or that you haven't received the full release in the first place.
AaronMK  +   351d ago
Knowing that there is DLC and/or micro-transactions can change the perception of value quite a bit.

Release something and truthfully state that there is no DLC nor any micro-transactions, and there is value in knowing that I am getting a complete product that will make many games worth $60.

You could release that exact same disc, but announce or keep the window open for paid DLC, and the value perception of that initial $60 drops quite a bit.
#27 (Edited 351d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Skate-AK  +   351d ago
Some are some aren't. There is no right answer.
madpuppy  +   351d ago
I personally don't think that the industry can sustain anything over 60.00 for a game, and that is only certain games, a good portion shouldn't be over 40-45.00 for what you get.

why do you think the 60.00 price cap has spanned almost 3 generations of consoles? publishers are smart, they know darn well that sales would drop drastically if they started hiking prices to 70.00 or more. Young gamers would be out of the market on pre-orders and would just have to wait till the game dropped in price, Older gamers, I feel would wait as well being more patient and conscious of forking out hard earned cash on something that costs as much as a monthly cell phone bill. which would screw up sales forecasts and would skew how popular a game is thus hurting it's chances for a sequel.

on top of all that, when people like Cliffy B as well as other high profile game devs are driving around in "his and her" lambo's and living in million dollar homes as well as crying about money, I personally have very little sympathy
for their "struggle".
lefty  +   351d ago
This article don't apply to wii u owners, we have access to Nintendo game...:)
« 1 2 »

Dark Romance: Heart of the Beast - Review | AACG

1h ago - Dark Romance: Heart of the Beast has an engaging plot and delightful visuals, but lacks the chal... | PC

Is there really room for four new Total War games?

1h ago - Last month, UK developer Creative Assembly proudly announced it has teamed up with Games Workshop... | PC

Make the World / Break the World

Now - Myriad is a twin-stick shooter that grows more beautiful the better you play. Give us your vote on Steam Greenlight! | Promoted post

The Benefits of Kids Playing Video Games

1h ago - With so many games and devices to play them on today, I’ve been asked if and how I limit my kids’... | Culture

Valve: "Getting people sick isn't a choice"

1h ago - Chet Faliszek explains VR's future depends on defeating motion sickness | Tech

Witcher 3 and Batman: Arkham Knight Free With Select Nvidia Cards

1h ago - Nvidia has announced that purchases of its GeForce GTX 980 or GTX 970 graphics cards will include... | PC