Submitted by moegooner88 465d ago | opinion piece

The Last of Us is CVG readers' Game of the Generation

Fellow Naughty Dog PS3 exclusive Uncharted 2: Among Thieves came second, followed by Rockstar pair Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption, with BioWare's Mass Effect 2 in fifth. (PC, PS3, The Last Of Us, Wii U, Xbox 360)

xHeavYx  +   466d ago
Well deserved, it is an amazing game
DirtyPimp  +   465d ago
i agree
itBourne  +   465d ago
It is hard to pick a single game from the entire generation. I think its a much more viable argument though, that Naughty Dog were the best developers of the generation.
TheTwelve  +   465d ago
I didn't like Last of Us but after all of these awards I'll be playing it again very soon.
deafdani  +   465d ago
Wait, what? If you didn't like it, how does itngetting a bunch if awards change your perception of it?

I refuse to believe you would be such a tool. Care to elaborate on your comment?
TheTwelve  +   464d ago
I didn't like the game, but I'm guessing I must have missed something considering the fact that it's getting so much praise.

So I'm going to try it again. I bought the game; I've every right to play it again.

Why does this cause such vehemence on the internet? lol
deafdani  +   464d ago
Ok, that's a pretty valid response. Thanks for clarifying. :)
miyamoto  +   465d ago
I think its a tie between Uncharted 2 and TLOU or Uncharted 2 is the game of the generation. That is my opinion. But I understand why gamers choose TLOU because it is new and got millions of exposure from tons of play throughs from modern day mainstream YouTube commentators like PewDiePie and the RadBrad.

Anyways its a win win for Naughty Dog the greatest developers on the planet today.

@ the monkey below
"This is the generation where realism was favored over true beauty."

I remember very clearly during the 8bit, 16bit, 32bit, 64bit, 128bit generations how developers try their darn best to mimic reality or achieve realism with what graphics hardware they have at their disposal and now you are talking shit and despising years of hard work now because your Nintendo is trapped into making just simple cartoony kiddie games?
Crabs-in-a-bucket mentality like yours drags video gaming to the backwards sorry state Nintendo is in right now.
#1.3 (Edited 465d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
MONKEYDLUFFY  +   466d ago
I agree this game defined this generation. This was the generation where creativity died. This is the generation where game play took a backseat. This was a generation where you had to put your game into overused cliche tropes to get it to sell. This is the generation where realism was favored over true beauty.

TLOU truly defines this Generation.
xHeavYx  +   466d ago
I feel some pain coming from you *checks comment history* Oh, Nintendo lover, no wonder...

@Below
You a video game lover? Sure, whatever you say
#2.1 (Edited 466d ago ) | Agree(26) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
MONKEYDLUFFY  +   466d ago
I'm a videogame lover. I like good video games. I have a ps3 and a psp. I have games I enjoy on all of them.
rarity  +   466d ago
looking at your comment history you're nothing more than a butthurt nintendo fanboy if you actually played the game you never would've said something like that ya can't sit there and say the last of us isn't beautiful nor fun it has amazing gameplay and a beautiful story lol and what do you mean more realistic how realistic is a infected human apocalypse exactly?
#2.2 (Edited 465d ago ) | Agree(19) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
Volkama  +   465d ago
TLOU has quite bad gameplay. Are you telling me you would have taken some enjoyment from it if the story wasn't there? Throwing bricks and bottles at people is a bit funny I 'spose.

Before people jump down my throat please note I'm not saying TLOU is unworthy of plaudits. Gameplay just wasn't it's strength, that's all.

Gameplay in the raw old-fashioned sense of the word is still valuable, but there is definitely validity in crafting a cinematic experience or a strong interactive story.

I really enjoyed Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead too, they're great games but I sure wouldn't claim they have "great gameplay".
scott182  +   465d ago
^

I disagree, I think the gameplay was one of it's strongest points. It was some of the funnest most addictive gameplay all gen.
#2.2.2 (Edited 465d ago ) | Agree(16) | Disagree(2) | Report
rarity  +   465d ago
please forgive me I sounded extremely immature. it's just what you said sounded really silly.
Ezz2013  +   465d ago
@volkama

strange that you say that
because the first reason to go back to this awesome game for me was the gameplay to play in different ways and how enemies AI react every time
not just the story (which is amazing as well)

i love every thing about the last of us fantastic gameplay and i find it above any other TPS game i have played this gen
and as it seems i'm not the only one who think that
since it's the game with most GOTY/GOTG awards from both critics and gamers

and i can't believe you trying to put TLOU (which is 20+ hours pure Gameplay) in the same genre as TWD and HR
#2.2.4 (Edited 465d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report
Ezz2013  +   465d ago
double post
#2.2.5 (Edited 465d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
Volkama  +   465d ago
@ezz I'm not putting it in the same genre. I'm picking extreme examples in which a game can be great without great game play. I could have gone for mass effect or Bioshock or something, but the point is less obvious in those cases.

You guys love the gameplay, I get it. I stand by my opinion that the gameplay alone isn't much fun, but to each his own. It has a well received multiplayer component (that I admit I didn't try) so maybe my opinion isn't typical. I'm honestly a bit surprised on that one, but not overly bothered. We can like different things.
deafdani  +   465d ago
I played it. Last of Us is beautiful indeed, and it's quite engaging, but most of its virtues are due to its excellent (and I mean EXCELLENT) narrative. Last of Us, in my opinion, is the epitome of linear games, where everything on it is used in order to deliver the story in the most effective way.

However, the actual gameplay? Yes, it's enjoyable, but nothing special at all. In terms of pure GAMEPLAY there are a lot of games that came out this year that absolutely surpass it... never mind the entire generation. And in the end, gameplay is always more important than narrative, where games are concerned. At least for me.

I perfectly get why this game has been this year's best for many people, and I respect it... it's all preferences, after all. But it's not my personal game of the year, and definitely does not my "game of the generation". Not even close.

Still a pretty damn good game on its own, though.
gillri  +   465d ago
Bit overboard there, many games define this generation
DARK WITNESS  +   465d ago
I think what he said is true in most cases... it's just the wrong game being held up.

If there is a game of this generation that sums up all the negative points listed it's... .COD!!

Last of Us, brings to light the few good things about last gen.

The question now will be this gen starting, will we see more games like TLOU or more games like COD?
Ron_Danger  +   465d ago
To answer your question, it all boils down to which console you buy (speaking mainly on the track record of 1st party devs/ exclusives.)
#2.4.1 (Edited 465d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report
Ron_Danger  +   465d ago
Dude, you sounded like you had trouble typing that cause it was too hard to see the keyboard while looking down your nose. You impressed no one on this sight by trying to sound like a gameplay snob.
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   465d ago
@Monkey
Too bad your post makes no sense since The Last Of Us gameplay was awesome.
#2.6 (Edited 465d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Ol_G  +   465d ago
subjective
miyamoto  +   465d ago
@ the monkey
"This is the generation where realism was favored over true beauty."

What is your idea of true beauty?

Crabs-in-a-bucket mentality like yours drags video gaming to the backwards sorry state Nintendo is trying to pull video games in right now as a plaything for little kids.

Nintendo will never ever lead to video games industry to a mature industry like the film or music industry has achieved over the years.

They will always stick to the kiddie and sucker mom cash cow just to make money and drag video games industry to their own image- child's plaything.

Is that your idea of true beauty?

@Volkama

What is your idea of fun game play...jumping over the same old blocks of bricks pits to save a princess?
Volkama  +   465d ago
Not so sure you really care but since you asked :-)

Gun play I'll take quake 3 arena.
More strategic cover shooting I like the first gears.
Hand to hand... Well it isn't TLOU.
Stealth I just plain don't enjoy as a mechanic in any game so far, which may factor in to my opinion on the gameplay.

That's off the top of my head, and purely referenced against different gameplay elements of TLOU. It's by no means I list of my favourite games...

I'll say again though, I'm not hating on TLOU. Just don't think gameplay was an outstanding feature in the package.
Ol_G  +   465d ago
You can't say stuff like that on n4g i do agree with you on some points this gen we got the most gray brown fps shooters a lot of devs closed this gen after failed projects And they also introduced the regenerating health bar turning every shooter or wrpg into a casual game
This was also the gen where people said yes to microtransactions and day one dlc
so if TLOU defines this gen then...........
I'd rather stop talking here
S2Killinit  +   465d ago
this game deserves every praise. i thoroughly enjoyed it.
JsonHenry  +   465d ago
I feel conflicted about this. Yes I thought the game was great. Fantastic game overall! The story was solid and the gameplay while being nothing new was still "tight" and well done.

But when I think of "game" and leave out the good story and voice acting (the parts of the game that isn't actually gameplay) I can't help but feel that Dark Souls would be my vote for game of the generation based on gameplay mechanics and overall "game-like" presentation.
BlackTar187  +   465d ago
Demon Souls over Dark Souls.

Last Of Us
Souls Series
Fallout
Xcom
Battlestations Midway

were all my favorite games from this gen.

Honorable Mention:
BioShock 1
#4.1 (Edited 465d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
gillri  +   465d ago
I know opinions and all but thats a pretty lame list
BlackTar187  +   465d ago
I don't know how you can call that list lame but whatever.
Ol_G  +   465d ago
Well if you only enjoyed 7 games or so in the past 8 years yeah that list is pretty lame no matter the titles on it
BlackTar187  +   462d ago
OI_G i mean cuz i was clearly saying i only enjoyed those games over this entire gen.

Sometimes people are so stupid it amazes me.
Evilsnuggle  +   465d ago
I love Last Of Us it is one of my two favorite games of this gen. It Would be hard for me to say it a better game Than Demon's Soul's. Demon's Soul's was groundbreaking I have had a experience like it in very long time. last game that pulled me in was Panzer dragon Saga. Some things you don't see coming were you can't stop playing the game. The Last Of Us is a great game and one of the best Game of the Generation. The other in my opinion is Demon's Soul's . Dark Soul's was not as good as Demon's Soul's . Dark Soul's had a lot of technical flaws Bad frame rate problems.Back stabbing was overpowered and horrible overused in PVP also it was harder to get the multiplayer to work properly. Multiplayer perform better in demon's Soul's. http://www.playstationlifes... http://www.gamespot.com/art...
#4.2 (Edited 465d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
DirtyPimp  +   465d ago
game of the generation only on ps3

lol a disagree for stating a fact? lol
#5 (Edited 465d ago ) | Agree(20) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
KRUSSIDULL  +   465d ago
I think they disagree with you because it's an opinion in the sense that their game of the generation is on another platform.

PS I didn't disagree with you but my game of the generation goes to the Mass Effect trilogy but I'm sure TLOU would be one of my top picks if I had played it. :)
MonChiChi  +   465d ago
I just wanna sing "another one bites the dust" but I know the song has a different meaning.
This game cannot swat away all the awards that are flying at it, much deserved.

TY TLOU
-wub-  +   465d ago
Uncharted 2 was my game of the generation.
<3 Naughty Dog
Hanso  +   465d ago
very solid stealth gameplay and the rest was fantastic like crafting in real time and wondering if you will make it in time before the clicker rips out your throat.
oh my god these moments..
TLoUs is the Game of the Generation for me too.
Heisenburger  +   465d ago
In a way TLoU encapsulates how the medium grew last generation.

We've had some amazing stories told through text. Two generations ago we had games like Snake Eater that were, to me at least, emotional gut punches. Now we can watch these scenes playing out before us in such an amazing way.

I just don't how people can take what we have for granted.
scott182  +   465d ago
For me, best story and acting, and the gameplay was brilliant, loved the sneaking and brutal fighting. The multiplayer blew my mind it was so fun and it was so different. So many great memories with this game.
#10 (Edited 465d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
LightofDarkness  +   465d ago
If you want a game that defines the last generation, look no further than COD4. I didn't even like it that much, but out of every game from last gen, this one has had the most profound and indelible impact on the industry, by a country mile. It's far from my "favourite" game from last gen, but it was easily the most significant. Just about every AAA game released since then has been impacted or influenced in some way by it. You just can't say that about TLOU. Even if it had time, I doubt TLOU would've influenced other games nearly as much. It had really solid voice acting and looked really good for a PS3 game, but COD4 revolutionized multiplayer gaming forever during a console generation where multiplayer gaming became the locus.
Angels3785  +   465d ago
Good point its very true.....while I may hate cod it deserves credit where credit is due.

So many games try and mimic cod its unarguable. Heck even dead space 3....which is in my opinion completely separate. I don't see how people disagree with you.....I've seen quite a few people complaining when a game is "cod like" and "casual" myself included. Its dramatically effected shooters and their popularity this gen. Especilly pushing a cod like multiplayer component.

Also TLOU Could have impacted the industry had uncharted 2 not released. But it came late and built upon uncharted 2's foundation.

But again you could say uncharted 2 also had a dramatic effect on the industry in terms of cinematic effect and production values...creating the ideal forms of single player. So many developers of different genres even (bfbc2 comes to mind) compared their games to uncharteds visuals and production values. Many people want to follow in the footsteps of the highest rated game ever! (That's a verifiable fact google it)

The pacing, the set pieces, the single player story, the marvelous visuals.....the list goes on
#11.1 (Edited 465d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
fonger08  +   465d ago
Ugh you make an excellent point. Don't get me wrong COD4 by all means was an excellent game, even for a generic overplayed "war" FPS genre. But it seems like every other shooter is trying to milk the MP or at least try and replicate COD's success in that facet of gameplay. I just hate what pre-teens and "bro-gamers" have done to attach the gross after-taste stigma to those games.
Hicken  +   465d ago
... except Call of Duty had ALL GENERATION to do that. When it came out, it was a great game, but everything you're talking about was only felt many years down the line. And it was a multiplayer-only impact, to boot.

The Last of Us is destined to fail by your standards because it released at the end of the last generation. Had it released when Call of Duty 4 did, there's no doubt in my mind that it would have had a more profound impact. Storytelling and characters, and even multiplayer(yes, TLOU's multiplayer is quite unique, and has as much potential to alter that area of the gaming landscape as MW did), The Last of Us set new standards pretty much everywhere.

You have to try pretty hard not to be impressed with The Last of Us, even if you're just watching someone else play. But Call of Duty isn't a game you can enjoy in the same way. It really doesn't appeal to people who don't like shooters, and isn't as much of a spectacle(as in something you can have fun with just by spectating).

To be frank, the trends set by CoD4 haven't exactly been all positive. The desire to replicate that game's success by replicating what made the game unique has led to more stagnation in the industry than innovation. Even within its own franchise, it was at the peak, not to be topped or even matched by the six games that have followed it.

Edit: I should note, TLOU isn't MY game of the generation. That would belong to either Valkyria Chronicles(lost many nights of sleep just to get to the next part of the story) or Journey(simply amazing, if you're of the mind to accept it, and one of the most profound impacts ANY entertainment has ever had on me).
#11.3 (Edited 465d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
fonger08  +   465d ago
While TLOU was a great game, the best "overall" experience of the last generation was Uncharted 2. The story, acting, gameplay, and the graphics were phenominal. Everything about the TLOU and obviously Uncharted 3 seemed like an extension of the build from Uncharted 2. That being said if there's the most "influential" game it would have to be either Mass Effect or Heavy Rain. Those two game put and raised story telling to whole different level.
#12 (Edited 465d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
oIITSBIIo  +   465d ago
TLOU is GOTG !! What a BAD JOKE .

This was one of the most boring games I ever played with a lame story and stupid ending .
#13 (Edited 465d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(17) | Report | Reply
georgenancy  +   465d ago
your opinion is in the minority,sorry
NeoTribe  +   465d ago
Can taste your tears. Must be rough not being able to play the best games by the best developers on the best piece of hardware (ps4).
classic19  +   465d ago
game of the generation, wow. i guess this is why it didn't get gm of year.. congratulations to the big ND.
LAWSON72  +   465d ago
Halo 3 was my game of the generation just because Bungie managed to make a game and support it for about 3 years keeping the community alive. I never will have as much fun with a multiplayer game again.
Then maybe Dark/Demon Souls (I cant choose one because both have something great that is absent from the other and I am not sure what I like more) because they are so creative and new, and the best part is they dont hold your hand. You learn mostly everything from just playing. No other game this generation can be compared to it.

I like TLOU but I did not find it as great as everyone else, I have played games with better and solid gameplay mechanics and the only great thing about it is the story and characters oh and maybe the atmosphere because at times with the clickers I was on the edge of my seat and not many games manage to do that, though Metro LL managed the same thing.
#15 (Edited 465d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
Stoppokingme  +   465d ago
It's definitely one of best games of the generation, but I'm not sure if it's THE best game of the generation.

You've also got to consider all the other great games; Mass effect 2, Uncharted 2, Red Dead Redemption, etc-all great games that preceded TLOU.

I've forgotten my favorite game of the generation, would you kindly tell me what it is?
DanielGearSolid  +   465d ago
If I had to narrow it down

Demons Souls
MGS4
Red Dead Redemption
DanielGearSolid  +   465d ago
And Valkyria Chronicles

Im a slimy piece of sh** for forgetting to mention VC
LAWSON72  +   465d ago
You should be ashamed
Sizzon  +   465d ago
Wow, nice!

I think personally it's my third favourite game of the generation.
#18 (Edited 465d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
thegent  +   465d ago
I'm surprised at how many people say the story was amazing. It was pretty good, but I think it was the characters and atmosphere, not the story that was amazing. Write a page summary of the story and its pretty bland.

I dunno I guess I'm not into naughty dogs single player as I am their multiplayer. I love playing tlou online ao addicting. And the reason I got a ps3 was to play uncharted 2 and 3 online. Once I found out the first uncharted didnt have multiplayer I was confused why it was so hyped. The single player gameplay gets a little bit on the repetitive side. And once you're used to hanging off a cliff in uncharted shooting baddies, hanging upside down in tlou isnt that big of a deal.
#19 (Edited 465d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Aceman18  +   465d ago
Loved TLOU, but my favorite game of this generation goes to Valkyria Chronicles.
DanielGearSolid  +   465d ago
Oh sh** I'm gonna edit my comment and add this to the list
Aceman18  +   465d ago
Yea how could you forget that Lol.
Darkfist  +   465d ago
capcom should let ND make the next resident evil, but without all those super monster/zombie/tyrant/wesker/. .
Ripsta7th  +   465d ago
I loved the single olayer story.MP wasnt for me though, itjust felt too slow
leahcim  +   465d ago
Totally agree here.
joinsideke  +   465d ago
Oh good,

I'm glad a well informed decision was made about all games and this award wasn't just handed to a title that is currently on everyone's mind. That would be awful if that kind of decision was hastily made. How embarrassing that would be.
stragomccloud  +   465d ago
For me it's gotta be the Mass Effect trilogy. Not one game, and the ending was maddening. But no other game gripped me in the same way that Mass Effect did.
for we are many  +   465d ago
Mario Galaxy.
PR_FROM_OHIO  +   465d ago
It should be IMO TLOU is a Masterpiece!!!!
Reeze  +   465d ago
I love this game, and it is no doubt an amazing experience.

However, I think that it won simply because of its more recent release and coverage.

Game of the year? Almost definitely. Game of the generation? Possibly.

Star Wars: Battlefront – Everything you Need to Know

9m ago - "The entire madness started in 2013 at E3, where EA showcased the first teaser trailer for Star W... | PC

Review: The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask 3D | Gamercafe

9m ago - In short, if you did not play Majora's Mask at the time, this is an excellent alternative, and in... | 3DS

See what games are coming out in 2015

Now - Visit our release calendar to see what games are coming out in 2015. | Promoted post

Mortal Kombat X Review | OnlySP

35m ago - Boasting a deep storyline that no other fighting game can match with infamous gameplay, Mortal Ko... | PC

Fondling – Victor Vran

36m ago - Drew Leachman gives us a small taste of the new action RPG, Victor Vran. | PC

The Magic Of Nintendo's New Shooter 'Splatoon' Is In Its Multiplayer

37m ago - Engadget writes: "My Nintendo 64 memories have nothing to do with GoldenEye 007, the famed first-... | Wii U