Submitted by lightwarrior179 786d ago | opinion piece

Reality or Illusion: Dragon Age II is the Worst RPG Ever

Renowned for making top-quality role-playing games from the CRPG-glory days of Baldur’s Gate II to the modern era of Mass Effect 3, one could easily blame BioWare for getting complacent somewhere on that path. Others blame it on their takeover by EA. BioWare’s track record was pretty much spotless before that, a rare feat for a developer that has been around in the industry for more than 15 years.

Then, Dragon Age II happened. (BioWare, Dragon Age 2, Dragon Age: Origins, EA, Mass Effect 3, PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

Godmars290  +   788d ago
FFXIII
That is all...
dedicatedtogamers  +   787d ago
Yeah, I was gonna say...

There is only one group of people who say DA2 is the worst RPG ever: Bioware newbies. For the most part, people who have played Bioware/Black Isle games since the late 90s see DA2 as just another symptom of Bioware's downfall, but DA2 is a good game, a great game, even, if you take it on its own. But DA2 is just one part in Bioware's being EA-ized after Mass Effect.
caseh  +   786d ago
Well thats a thing of the past seeing as the main guys at Bioware have gone walkies since completeing Mass Effect.

Hopefully they will resurface with a new studio and not fall into the lure of big money from publishers like EA.
animegamingnerd  +   786d ago
was about to put that comment my self
MrAnderson  +   786d ago
Agreed, only FF i've played and not finished, and to this day the thought of that games existance pisses me off.
TheDivine  +   785d ago
It's the only FF I have finished. Not saying its the best because its not but I always lose interest and random battles wear me down to where I just take a break and never return. This was a really good game though. Amazing story, characters, worlds, graphics, music, the only bad thing was I wish all combat was on the world map instead of another battle screen and it needed exploration with some sidequests and npcs to make the worlds feel alive and add lore. Still damn good in my opinion.
Bumpmapping  +   786d ago
DA2 was a snore fest but far from being the worst RPG ever.
Bladesfist  +   786d ago
Dragon Age Origins was awesome, how did they go so wrong :(
xPhearR3dx  +   786d ago
EA. You know, the company trying to make every video game they publish accesible to casual gamers. The term "learning curve" is slowly disappearing.
riverstars86  +   786d ago
EA happened to Bioware. All you have to do is look at the original Dragon Age and Mass Effect, both were better than their successors and both were made before EA acquired Bioware. The games are watered down from RPG's and closer to action games.
#3.2 (Edited 786d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
JasonXS12  +   786d ago
The game isn't bad but the controls for me were broken.
a08andan  +   786d ago
Their fault was trying to expand beyond the core of Dragon Age Origins without fully understanding why the audience appreciated said game. The mechanics of Dragon Age Origins and its settings is vastly superior to DA2. DA2 is a good game, but DAO is most definately its boss.
#5 (Edited 786d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
bicfitness  +   786d ago
Oh, see I thought that the mechanics - combat, systems (not being able to equip your companions aside) - were far, far better with DA2. Certainly more polished. DAO was quite clunky, even on PC. The story, lack of a driving narrative in particular, and the recycled elements of DA2 are where it fell apart. Imo.

All I want is Skyrim with a few more AI controlled team-mates in a DA universe. That's where they should be going with the series. Not this instanced crap. (Yes, ES has loading areas, but the overall scope of the game is free-roaming.)
asyouburn  +   786d ago
The combat in DA 2 was a freakin joke. It went from deep and tactical in DAO to "press x to win". In a game with so many choices why do I have to mash on my basic attack for 40 hours

And the fact that I couldn't have conversations with my own party members anytime I wanted (I.e. go to someone's house to talk to them even though they're running with you in your party right now) was a major step backwards IMO
#5.1.1 (Edited 786d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
Monkeycan8  +   786d ago
Wait! Dragon Age II Was an RPG? whoa learn something new everyday.
RTheRebel  +   786d ago
This vid tells all =)

Related video
#7 (Edited 786d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
pennywhyz  +   786d ago
EA is a sham they will do or say anything to sell their games.
Daesy  +   786d ago
Unlimited SaGa. Seriously, Dragon Age II may be many things, but at least it's not fundamentally broken. DAII's manual and tutorials do not lie to you about how to play the game. I know I don't need to say this about click-bait, but hyperbole is played out. Don't go around proclaiming "wrost gaem evar!" about games that are at the very least competent.
#9 (Edited 786d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
dreamoner  +   786d ago
One of the few things I liked about the game and it was probably a first in voice-over'ed RPGs(or any game) was the change of voice tone. f.i. I played a nice guy in my second playthrough and made and intimidation choice; my character's voice was not as rough as my previous angry character's voice was and my good guy's intimitadion attemp was a failure ofcourse. The game calculated my character's personality and determined the voice which would be in effect and that's a lot of voice over. Yes gameplay sucked, story was short and was worse than DAO, there was a lot of copy/paste dungeons etc. but the script was awesome(maybe not/ it had it's flaws), lots and lots of dialogue; everywhere your followers talking; commenting on stg. arguing with each other... and that made me play the "Worst RPG ever" more than once.

At least it was a RPG and had the right to be called one. I'll go ahead and say I loved Skyrim and played it maybe for 200 hours with mods etc. but in the end I call skyrim an action-adventure-exploring whatever game NOT a RPG cos Skyrim didnt have any real player choice in events nor any dialogues for that matter, it was simply talk the guy learn something/get a quest/return the quest be thanked, follow the story. Role playing game shouldnt be given to titles with just combat/looting/equipment esspecially if it's not online.
#10 (Edited 786d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Evil-snuggles  +   786d ago
Dragon Age 1 and 2 where both horrible the gameplay mechanics where old and date to me it play alot like kotor a ten year old game the same for mass effect 1 thank GOD they finally changed the game mechanics in mass effect 2 and 3 now the game is awesome they need some good game mechanics for dragon age
#11 (Edited 786d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
anticlimax  +   784d ago
Old does not necessary mean bad. With Mass Effect they just turned the game more into a shooter and less RPG. DA:O simply had a classic tactical RPG combat system whithout trying to be revolutionairy. It's why I liked it so much.
ceballos77mx  +   786d ago
To be two towers two and ff13.

Updated list of discounted first-party 3DS and Wii U games

16m ago - An updated list of discounted 3DS and Wii U games include Bayonetta 2 at $50.97, Xenoblade Chroni... | Wii U

Why Steam’s new paid mods is a bad idea

16m ago - Why Steam new approach towards paid modings can be troublesome for the industry. | PC

Make the World / Break the World

Now - Myriad is a twin-stick shooter that grows more beautiful the better you play. Give us your vote on Steam Greenlight! | Promoted post

PrimeGuard Interview - The First Destiny Team to Beat Vault of Glass

21m ago - Creating and maintaining a hardcore gaming group can be challenging and exhausting. It demands a... | PC

An Interview with indie game studio Cubic Pie

21m ago - An interview with Cubic Pie, the creators of such indie games as Yury, Tactical Craft Online, and... | PC

Five Essential Features for Black Ops 3

21m ago - Eldon from Denkiphile: "As someone who contributes to the death of the video game industry by pur... | PC