Submitted by BLACKBIBLE 706d ago | opinion piece

Wii U Will Be The Most Used Console This Gen, and Next

GamerFitNation's BlackBible gives his opinion on why he believe's the Wii U will be the most used console in this generation and possible the next. (Nintendo, Wii U)

Attached Video
BLACKBIBLE  +   706d ago
Nintendo TVii was one of the smartest moves Nintendo could make. It makes the usage of the system very high. Let me know if you agree or not I'd like to hear your opinions on this subject.
TripC50  +   706d ago
Heck ya it was a good move. It makes the WiiU gamepad the go to controller whenever the tv is in use, be it watching TV,Netflix,or playing a game. With TVii added on it makes the WiiU the ultimate home entertainment system.. It's a shame they didn't add the ability to play DVD movies on the Wii U as well. But I guess that would have made the price too high.
RivetCityEnclave   706d ago | Spam
Instigator  +   706d ago
I think the Wii U has potential to be the most used console, not only because of the games, but also the features. It depends on what MS and Sony is cooking for their next gen systems, though.

We don't know anything about them, but if they aim to be the center of your living room the same way as the Wii U with an equally streamlined interface then it could go either way. If they just add more power on top of what they did this generation then you may have a point.

"Also does anyone agree with my end statement about the gamepad not being sole as a single at launch."

I think Nintendo confirmed that it won't be sold seperately in the beginning. The fact that there's no support for two Gamepads at launch is probably one reason, I believe it may be because of some of the confusion still surrounding it.

There will be people walking into a store thinking they can use the Gamepad on the Wii, and proceed to buy it along with a few games and take it home. By only selling it with the console at launch will send a message to these people that they will need the system to use it, and avoid the backlash accompanied by any hypothetical scenario you can imagine.
Ben_Rage_3  +   706d ago
I get what you're trying to say and I think you make a pretty good argument. But maybe you can help clarify something for me. I get what you mean about Wii U being the most used system of next gen, but I don't understand how it could possibly be used the most this gen. This gen has one maybe two years left in it. The 360/ps3 consoles are in 70 million homes apiece, probably more in the next few years. So how could Wii U possibly match those numbers in that limited time frame? In other words, there simply won't be enough Wii U's in living rooms to be the most used in this current gen.
WeAreLegion  +   706d ago
It doesn't work for Comcast users. That's like 90% of AMERICA!!!
-Mika-  +   706d ago
Lol, you're seriously doubting Sony and Microsoft. Mark my words, once sony and ms reveal their new console. People are going to forget about the WiiU until a new zelda game comes out.

@ Bible

I don't think it smart because im pretty sure sony and MS are working on a similar idea to put into their consoles. Like i said don't underestimate sony and definitely not MS. They did alot for the gaming industry this gen alone.
#2 (Edited 706d ago ) | Agree(21) | Disagree(25) | Report | Reply
BLACKBIBLE  +   706d ago
I do not doubt them at all. Still its funny Nintendo is starting to look like the trendsetter. Mark my words soon you'll see a Playstation and Xbox tablet. Heck sony is already there with Wikipad and PSvita.

Once again I do not doubt Sony or MS. But if you look at what the Wii has done, it seems Nintendo has found a formula for keeping themselves in 1st place.

Lets be honest a lot of you didn't believe Nintendo would make anything for the Next Gen that would matter and to our surprise they did.

Nintendo has create a console that is a "Monster of Convenience." That's the key, people want what's Convenience, above anything else these days.

Also does anyone agree with my end statement about the gamepad not being sole as a single at launch. Right now there is no need to buy a second game Pad. Due to the fact that it's not necessary.
#2.1 (Edited 706d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(10) | Report | Reply
Nintendo always make innovative hardware. Games? not so much. Mark my words 99 mario games before next gen is finished.
#2.1.1 (Edited 706d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(14) | Report
GuyManDude  +   706d ago
"Mark my words soon you'll see a Playstation and Xbox tablet. Heck sony is already there with Wikipad and PSvita."

The PSV isn't a tablet. It's the logical next step from the PSP. Bigger screen, a second analogue stick, touch screen, and track pad. With the exception of the track pad, it's what everyone assumed they would do, not a response to what Nintendo has done.

It would be nice if they would let us know how much a replacement will cost down the road. If a year from now someone's child breaks the controller and a new one ends up costing $150 (just a hypothetical) I'd be pretty upset.
againstblindfanboys   706d ago | Spam
LOGICWINS  +   706d ago
Mika, he's not underestimating Sony/MS. He's simply using the common sense that there are a CRAPLOAD of casual gamers that scoop up anything the mainstream media throws at them. I've seen more Wii U commercials in the past two weeks than I have PS3 commercials in the whole year.

We live in a heavily marketing driven society where consumers don't buy the best products, they buy what they PERCEIVE are the best products.

Nintendo is brilliant in making people perceive that their products are the pinnacle of modern gaming.
#2.2 (Edited 706d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
iamnsuperman  +   706d ago
It strange because here in the UK its the other way round. I have seen an unusal amount of PS3/PS3 sponsored adverts and hardly any Wii U advert (bad advert. More informative than the USA one but the commentator is annoying on the UK one)
#2.2.1 (Edited 706d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(2) | Report
LOGICWINS  +   706d ago
I always hear the U.K. is EXTREMELY Sony oriented. PS3 exclusives tend to sell better in Europe, thus why they almost always get the better special/collector's editions.
#2.2.2 (Edited 706d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(4) | Report
iamnsuperman  +   706d ago
The UK is actually very 360 orientated (similar to the USA). Sony have been gaining more but it isn't like the rest of Europe which is very Sony orientated. Of course the Wii (not Nintendo as a whole) is in the background but they tended to advertise well for it

As far as I have seen for Wii U adverts one aired after Homeland and apart from that and one other time that is it really
#2.2.3 (Edited 706d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report
LOGICWINS  +   706d ago
Wii U adverts after Homeland? WOW, things really are different across the pond lol. In the U.S, Homeland runs on Showtime and the only adverts on Showtime are promotions for Showtime shows.
iamnsuperman  +   706d ago
Ha really. Its Channel 4 here though so its adverts galore. Seriously their on demand service (4od) requires 6 adverts to start the damn show with at least a break in the middle with another 3-6 adverts (which you can't skip because the player stops working on certain ad blockers). We have the BBC who do that but we have to pay for (can't watch TV legally without it) that so there shouldn't be adverts on that channel
Jobesy  +   706d ago
I'm not sure how "mainstream" the Wiiu will be. Here's 2 examples: First, I saw on the news this morning they had an analyst showing the must-have video game related products. He showed Book of Spells, Halo 4, the Vita bundles and BO2. No mention of the Wiiu whatsoever. Example 2, I went to Walmart yesterday afternoon and went to the game section to check the Wiiu out. To my surprise, not a single person was at the Wiiu kiosk, while all other kiosks were being used.

Casuals are finicky as hell, hate to break it to people but they jumped off the console gaming bandwagon with the Guitar Hero/Rockband and Wii. They're not gaming anymore on consoles, now its tablets and smartphones for them.
tehpees3  +   706d ago
You mean like when PSP came out and everybody forgot about DS? Oh wait. Oh but PS3 will be sure to destroy 360 and the gimmick that was the Wii. Ok that didn't happen but Vita is sure to make 3DS completely irrelevant. Sure Monster Hunter is on 3DS but it isn't that big of a deal.

People say this all the time. The exact opposite has happened every time.
#2.3 (Edited 706d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
Rumor  +   706d ago
Sadly I cannot disagree with this
PopRocks359  +   706d ago
I think it's perfectly fine that there are people out there who like Sony and Microsoft a lot more than they like Nintendo.

But when Mika gets this many agrees I feel like throwing up.
twilight_link  +   706d ago
@Mika "I don't think it smart because im pretty sure sony and MS are working on a similar idea to put into their consoles."

this is funny sentence, you're truly gifted person, hands down, certainly you grow up with Playstation, true hardcore gamer.
#2.5 (Edited 706d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
LOGICWINS  +   706d ago
"They actually forced MS and Sony to create there own gimmicks to compete."

Actually, Sony didn't release the Move to keep up with the Wii's market. The blueprints for Move were created YEARS before the Wii released. With or without the existence of the Wii, Sony would have given us the Move regardless. To your credit, the Wii MIGHT have made Sony speed up their plans with Move....but the idea of Move was uniquely Sony's.

#3 (Edited 706d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
OmniSlashPT  +   706d ago
The PS3 and X360 are now at 70 million and the Wii is close to 100 million. Is not that much of a difference if you think about it. And was it Move/Kinect that sold all those PS3s/X360s or were its games? Because the Wii has been lacking good titles and multiplats from like ever. And the Wii U doesnt seem to go the right way (will it be able to handle BF4 for next gen? probably not).
Deku-Johnny  +   706d ago
Before Kinect and Move the PS3 and 360 had almost half the sales they have now. They tried to follow Nintendo's footprints in appealing to the casual audience and they made a lot more money. The top selling game on 360 is Kinect Adventures. They owe a lot of success this gen to Nintendo taking the risk they did with the Wii.
Sp1d3ynut  +   706d ago
LOGICFAILS
RFornillos4  +   706d ago
you make it sound like "YEARS" is more than the actual 2 years as mentioned in your link. Wii was released 2006, and your link points to 2004. At E3 2004, Reggie Fils-amie debuts as NOA President, Iwata then introduced the Revolution which eventually lead to the Wii.

however, if you go back to another article, as early as 1999-2001, a certain Tom Quinn pitched his idea of motion controls to Microsoft and Sony but was snubbed. Nintendo liked his pitch, bought shares from Tom Quinn's company and started planning the use of motion controls in gaming. With Microsoft even saying they can do a better job at it, and Sony asking if it can be made for 99 cents.

now, i for one don't think Sony copied motion controls from Nintendo since they are using the Eye Toy for managing it, but you have to admit, if Nintendo's Wii didn't sell because of "motion controls", do you really think Sony will also come out with it. Probably not, because Sony didn't think "motion control" would sell. They had the "Eye Toy" for years, but did they maximize the use of the device before doing Move?
scribbletheworld   706d ago | Spam
OmniSlashPT  +   706d ago
I give it until E3, then everyone's Wii U will be gathering dust just like their Wiis.
scribbletheworld   706d ago | Spam
Deku-Johnny  +   706d ago
My Wii isn't gathering dust.
Dogswithguns  +   706d ago
Nintendo did it again, I really liked it.. M$ and Sony gonna copy again like they have been.
OneAboveAll  +   706d ago
You don't even know what the PS4 and Next-Box will be capable off so you can't state this as a fact. So dumb.
MasterCratosKong66  +   706d ago
Nothing was being stated as fact. He said it might be the most used in the next grouping of console and politely invited you to prove him wrong.
GBELKIN1  +   706d ago
Most buyers of the Wii-U don't know that Nintendo released a pr yesterday morning in regards to TVii & said it will not be available until December. Also it's been confirmed by Nintendo that the gamepad will not be sold separately at launch or through 12/31/12. As for the video presentation that states the Wii-U will be the most used game console of this generation & the next generation is pure speculation because we don't know what Microsoft & Sony will do with the PS4 & next xbox console's. The biggest problem with the Wii-U is it's mostly current generation excluding the gamepad & TVii. I've played a demo game on the Wii-U & it's fun to play. The Wii-U will sell out globally throughout 12/31/12 as there is no direct competition. The huge question that needs to be raised is if the Wii-U continues to sell out in the 1st quarter of next year at this high price point. This is the most expensive nintendo console in the history of Nintendo & it's going to be extremely tough to try & sell the gamer after the holiday season is over at this price point. I'm considering a Wii-U only when the price drops which I expect to happen by E3 next year. Nintendo has done a much better job this time around with 3rd party games & attempting to attract hardcore gamers to their console. Nintendo acts like the xbox 360 & PS3 don't have any of the features of the Wii-U which is obviously false. I fully expect mii-verse to crash within the first 48 hours of launch due to the inexperience on Nintendo with online gaming. I'm not saying the Wii-U is inferior to the PS3 or xbox 360 so Nintendo fanboys don't attack me. Lastly Nintendo has made a huge upgrade over the Wii with the Wii-U but has priced the console too high by $50.00 on the basic & deluxe version's. I fully expect the Wii-U to outsell the Wii from 11/18/12-12/31/12 including preorders globally.
Sp1d3ynut  +   706d ago
I agree....GameStop, Amazon and eBay will have a sh*t ton of them "used" after MS and Sony announce their next consoles.
#9 (Edited 706d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
2pacalypsenow  +   706d ago
this gen? so it will make up for the 7 years the 360 has been out? really?
againstblindfanboys   706d ago | Spam
Embeepee  +   706d ago
I disagree, I think it'll have similar usage to the Wii (aka people buying them for Xmas and playing it for a few days and then never playing it again). I hope for Nintendos sake I'm wrong though

The X720 will have the most usage of any console next gen IMO. Microsoft will make it an entertainment hub with music, gaming, movies, TV, etc. etc. (just like they're doing with the 360 now)
BigCojones  +   706d ago
You make some good points and all-in-all it is very plausible. Problem is we don't know what the others have in store.

For example MS can do exactly what TVii is set out to do, but with Kinect (Rumors have said that every nextbox will come with kinect). I think this could be even more attractive for casuals. Using hand motions and voice control to navigate their entire TV/Media experience, swipe to change channel etc. There is a long way they can go with this. Browsing the web with voice and gestures. Inserting new commands in to the kinect you want (like bookmarks and like feature on facebook that by saying like will instantly update your facebook). They could even make a "touch" interface (like in tablets/smartphones) using the kinect if it is accurate enough. With the windows 8 connectivity you could answer your phone calls while playng games thorugh the kinect. Skype. Send links, xbox music, video etc. from your xbox to your pc/tablet

Sony probably have something in store, but as their direction seems more for hardcore gaming, who knows what they'll do. Pretty interested to see what they'll do with Gaikai.

Also the Wii U has one thing going for it. As it has been said that next gen AAA games will cost double. I think many developers who made triple-A games this gen will not be making the jump and make such huge investments. BUt the level what the Wii U is capable of will still be doable and so they will use it as a baseline from where they'll make games. Maybe develop them the same time for ps4, nextbox not fully using everybit of processing power available...
#13 (Edited 706d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SegaKnuckles86  +   706d ago
Seriously doubt it. Nintendo's consoles have been struggling with attach rates with the majority of the buyers for pretty much any console beginning with the N64, and the Wii, while sold more units than the HD consoles, is by far the LEAST used console of the three and have the lowest amount of software sales which is just as important as the hardware sales in the long run. The majority of those software sales are first party games like Mario and Zelda and the people that STILL play their Wii is for Mario and Zelda. Nobody cares about that glorified bathroom scale you call Wii Fit anymore and have moved on to the next big thing. The Wii U MIGHT be better in this regard given third party support so far is a significant leap over from the Wii but how will this carry over when MS and Sony release their next consoles if developers switch lead platforms? Will the Wii U see the same multi-platform games available on the other two eighth generation consoles? That is something Nintendo needs to worry about.
cee773  +   706d ago
ps3 was launched as a multimedia game console when everyone claimed ps3 had an identity crises remember that

I watch blurays horde thousands of mp3 and hundreds of movies on my ps3 stream netflix hulu etc

now im not knocking the wii u multimedia capabilities they intrest me but.......

I can seriously see the wii u gamepad constantly being put on charge with its terrible 5 hour battery life I can also see the batteries dying prematurely batteries average about 500 charge discharge cycles and were talking 3 to 4 charges a day give or take especially with multiple users (between gaming,and tvii,web browsing etc. maybe) your lucky if you can get a year with the wii u pad without changing the batteries
#15 (Edited 706d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Deku-Johnny  +   706d ago
It's 3am on the 18th in the UK right now. That means in a few hours the Wii U officially goes on release in America. After that whenever anyone says 'this gen' they will be referring to the 8th gen making the Wii, Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 last gen consoles.
jbgamer  +   706d ago
with nintendo tvii, and all the other features of the wii u? I totally agree. this is the gaming device of the future.. I am throwing my tv remote away.. I bet more and more devices, like i pad, will start doing everything the wii u pad and nintendo tv does.. once again just like the rumble feature in controllers, analog stick, motion control, nintendo is going to cahnge the way we play games and now watch tv!! cannot wait!

Q-Games:Can't Push Graphics Unless It's An Exclusive;The Tomorrow Children Is "Something Different"

10m ago - Q-Games President said that the graphics can be truly pushed only with exclusives, while adding t... | PS4

Is Firaxis Soon To Make Us More Familiar With XCOM’s Enemies?

23m ago - In 2012, Firaxis Games released XCOM: Enemy Unknown, a reboot of the classic sci-fi strategy seri... | PC

Using The Xbox One November Update – Backgrounds, Twitter Connectivity And More

45m ago - IM PLAYIN have had access to the Xbox One November update as Preview Members, here's what they th... | Xbox One

What Happened to EA?

1h ago - I’m a 35 year old gamer, and that means several things;I owned singles on records and cassettes.... | Industry

Start Making Games for the PS4