Submitted by Abriael 188d ago | news

Knack Devs Explain Why PS4 Was Given 8 GB of RAM Instead of 4 by Sony; Talk Development and Feedback

The development of Knack wasn't without problems: as a launch game that was being developed in parallel with the console it had to run on, there were many unknowns in the equation, and Senior Producer Yosuke Watanabe, Outsourcing Manager Seiichiro Funayama, Game Director Takamitsu Ijima, Lead Artist Yoshiaki Yamaguchi and Lead Programmer Tsuyoshi Murakami provided quite a lot of interesting "post mortem" information. (Knack, PS4)

XiSasukeUchiha  +   188d ago
Good read actually thank you dualshockers.

Cole

Nice joke,and surprising a good article from dualshockers.
#1 (Edited 188d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(31) | Report | Reply
ColeMacGrath  +   188d ago
Is this the first time you read an article? xD
sonypsnow  +   188d ago
PS4 have 8.192 GB RAM.
jebabcock  +   188d ago
This was a nice good read. No hate, no fanboys, just information. I liked knack as well. It wasn't GOTY material but it was definitely a game worth playing IMO and could be a good franchise if continued. My kids also loved it.

Off Topic:
Truthfully, there is actually an additional secret 4gb of specially optimized RAM that sony can unlock at any point that is directly tied to an even more powerful hidden molecular GPU that when coupled with a firmware update coming out later this year will increase the performance of the overall system 2000%.

So i was thinking of starting a website to compete with MisterX... do you think my material is good enough or do i need to stretch things a bit further?

sorry... i couldn't help myself.. with the comment about slightly greater than 8gb of ram... I had to take it a step further.
#1.1.2 (Edited 188d ago ) | Agree(18) | Disagree(5) | Report
LamerTamer  +   188d ago
@jebabcock

But you forgot the all important "secret sauce", hidden eSRAM, DX12 port, and of course "the cloudz".
jivah  +   188d ago
@sonypsnow

No they have either 8GBs or 8192MBs

The amount you wrote insinuates they have 8Gigs and 192Megs meaning a total of 8384MBs
abzdiine  +   188d ago
Knack is a technically flawless game. i haven't experienced any glitch at anytime.
UltraNova  +   188d ago
I'm still undecided whether to get this game or not..

How long is it? Is it worth it?
alexkoepp  +   187d ago
It was given 8 because the OS uses 3.5 and if they remained with 4 devs would have 512MB to work with. Same as last generation consoles
Prime157  +   187d ago
Sonypsnow is talking about the background task chip. 2gigaBIT.

"Along with the 8GB of dedicated GDDR5 RAM, the PS4 has an extra 2Gb of DDR3 RAM, a system teardown by iFixIt has revealed. This extra 2Gb – that’s really 256MB, 2 Gigabit rather than 2 Gigabyte – is suspected to be used for background processes on the secondary processor."
- http://www.thesixthaxis.com...

If he's not adding that in his comment, then I don't know. It's for background tasks and low power state. I don't know, I just don't.
XiNarutoUzumaki  +   188d ago
Interesting Read, indeed!

I liked Knack even thought it was less than I expected.
naomyi_kyle   188d ago | Spam
Prime157  +   188d ago
Well, I remember developers being flabbergasted by the announcement of 8gigs. Most people thought MS was going to easily win this generation because the specs on "Durango" were 8gb rumored, while Orbis was speculated at 4gb. A fact later reiterated by articles like this.
nice read indeed
ITPython  +   188d ago
Even with 4 GB the PS4 would still have have had better performance than the XB1.

But glad they stuck in 8GB instead, otherwise this entire gen gamers would be bickering about which version of a multiplat game was better than the other. Rather than how it is now, where we all know without a shred of doubt the the PS4 versions of multiplat games trump the XB1 versions.
Angrymorgan  +   187d ago
@ isasuke
I know you cant answer me but..why do you always get so many disagrees for seemingly innocent comment's?
And how the heck are you always 1st to comment???
#1.4 (Edited 187d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Syntax-Error  +   187d ago
Who cares?
TBONEJF  +   187d ago
LMFAO you're one pathetic guy. You really don't know anything bout computer hard ware. And quit making a fool out of yourself.
naomyi_kyle   188d ago | Spam
Dlacy13g  +   188d ago
Interesting, so they are saying Knack was the game that did it. Meanwhile there were other numerous rumors about the likes of Gearbox and other 3rd party devs basically hinted that they were going to be way behind with only 4GB even if it was GDDR5.

Guess it really doesn't matter ultimately what/who made the call. They did and they are better for having done so.
Volkama  +   188d ago
Weird parallels between 360 and PS4 though. It is quite well known that the 360 was going to have 256mb gddr3, but epic spoke up and demanded more for gears of war and so it ended up with 512mb.
Dlacy13g  +   188d ago
Yup, I remember thinking the same thing.
MasterCornholio  +   188d ago
Well I believe that several developers saying that 8gb was essential caused them to implement it. I dont believe it was just one studio that did.

P.S Reminds me on how Bungie and Guerilla Games helped Sony design the triggers.
#3.2 (Edited 188d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Dlacy13g  +   188d ago
it definitely was multiple studios I just specifically recalled Gearbox stating they had told Sony they didn't think 4GB would be enough. But the rumors are that multiple studios had hinted that very thing.
wsoutlaw87  +   187d ago
well knack was lead by Cerny and he was lead designer on the ps4.
uth11  +   188d ago
Thanks Knack for making the PS4 better! lol
Illusive_Man  +   188d ago
Because they looked over and saw Xbox One. MS needs to more careful about leaks.
Well your username does not fool anyone, neither do your comments
AviaFlyer   188d ago | Spam
D3ATH_DRIV3R_777  +   188d ago
Well that explains even more why sony went with 8GB instead of 4GB,
thanks for convincing them to go with 8GB guys.
Knushwood Butt  +   188d ago
Hmm, I noticed that Knack gets my PS4 hotter than most other games. The fans are noticeably more active when playing Knack.
Blackleg-sanji  +   188d ago
Knack ftw. Now wheres my sequel
agame914  +   188d ago
Knack was better then ryse played both beat both
CrowbaitBob  +   187d ago
I also played both and beat both. At no point did I ever say to myelf "this game is better than that other game" though.

I honestly can't see how anyone can compare Ryse and Knack. Sure you may personally have enjoyed one more than the other, that makes sense, but saying one is better than the other is extremely subjective.
wsoutlaw87  +   187d ago
ya they dont really compare because they are two different types of games. Of coarse everyone can prefer one, but they arent really that similar.
showtimefolks  +   188d ago
whatever the cause i know developer community is happy they did. I think GDDR5 will come to play later in the console life.

just curious:

MS added stuff like wifi/hdmi ports to newer xbox360's, so could they realistically add GDDR5 to a slimmer model of xbox one?
#10 (Edited 188d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
ColeMacGrath  +   188d ago
It's possible but won't happen because it's going to be unfair for previous owners to have inferior version of games not to mention, it's gonna require devs to work on both versions of the game.
#10.1 (Edited 188d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
showtimefolks  +   188d ago
Thanks yeh i agree might be a tough sell to those who already bought the one without
blakstarz  +   188d ago
Knack was a fun game...hope they make a sequel my only suggestion is that they just add a bit more "action" to the screen.
LamerTamer  +   188d ago
Since the PS4 OS is so bloated at what, 3.5 GB that means they would only have 512mb left for games if they only had 4 GB? Ok they probably wouldn't have done that but man they put in 8 so they found the need to bloat that up and take almost half away. What the hell did they put in there to fill it so much? It seems OSs expand to fill much of the memory they have. It they had 16 GB they would use 8 for OS bloat.
#12 (Edited 188d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
ion53  +   188d ago
It only takes 3.5GB because of Project Morpheus. When that releases the number will more than likely go down to 2.5 or 2GB. Maybe even less
RevXM  +   188d ago
I wouldn't say bloated, Sony have reserved memory for future updates so that they are sure that any feature they implement will be easy too implement.

I think 3.5 GB is a bit much, I mean ps3 can do quite a lot although the memory footprint have been shrunk down to something like 30-40MB.

We will just have to wait and see. when the smoke clears it may be down to less than 1GB.

But Im glad sony is taking this approach atm, they wouldn't implement cross game chat on the ps3 due to a tight memory budget. funny thing is they shrunk the footprint by like 10MB or something after they said they were developing the X chat feature and thats why I was pretty upset when they said they couldn't do it later on.
Because either they were completely bulshitting us or they made the mistake without even realizing you cant go back once games have released to take advantage of the free'd up memory. free'd up memory for games is good too though, but dang I wanted X chat so bad. lol.
wsoutlaw87  +   187d ago
its not that bloated lol. They are reserving that much just in case of future needs. It doesnt mean it is using it now. You will see updates that free up ram after sony is possitive they wont need it for an os function. They probably wish they had done that on the ps3 for xgame chat.
Picnic  +   188d ago
The PS4's a funny old console. I feel like I know its ethos intimately inside out and yet I'm still waiting for a game to really excite me. I know that will change when The Order 1886 and Uncharted 4 come out. Sony consoles always get in their stride 2 years down the line.
DualWielding  +   188d ago
So as bad as the game was we have to thank Knack developers for saving the PS4
Rainbowcookie  +   187d ago
This is more of the topic and more of a question? Would it be possible for companies (MS and Sony to boost their ram by an update where the OS uses less ram? Did it happen last generation?
P.S I haven't been stuck on an island with the Green Arrow, I just can't recall? :)
wsoutlaw87  +   187d ago
yes they have in the past and will in the future.
Mexxan  +   187d ago
Knack? Kack. If you rated the game what was the point of getting a Ps4? Mundane at best.
Good article though.
#16 (Edited 187d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
lemoncake  +   187d ago
Because 4gb of ram would have been a joke in this day and age, never mind in a few years from now. 8gb shared for both gpu and system is the minimum they could safely get away with.
kingduqc  +   187d ago
Video memory(vram) is just there to draw a picture on by the gpu. No matter how much you got does not improve the performance. They can put bigger textures all they want if they can't draw them fast enough it's pointless.
raiden11  +   187d ago
@ITPython

you are so wrong to think that 4gb gddr5 PS4 would beat
xbox one with 8gb ddr3. Infamous: Second Son uses 4.5 gb of
ram to run the game. if there's only 4gb on the system, they could only use sub 720p resolution with screentearing, just like last generation. PS4 system uses 3.5GB and that will leave 500mb for games. Killzone:Shadow Fall uses 3GB of ram for PS4, killzone: Shadow Fall would look like killzone 3. If PS4 has only 500mb or ram to use for games.

Im shock at gamers with low standards. In 2007 4gb of ram for PC was the norm thats excluding the GPU ram. In 2010 8GB ram is standard for PC thats excluding GPU ram. Open World games suffered most on Ram limitation. A.I on open world is still stupid, even with promise of advanced A.I, fake promise. 8gb ddr3 ram is so cheap. I would rather have nextgen on 8gb ddr3 ram for system and 4gb GDDR5 for GPU.

Philippines’ first horror game hits Steam Greenlight

16m ago - Zeenoh Games is hard at work on the Philippines' first survival horror game, based on local folkl... | PC

Far Cry 4 review: A land where you’re really just lunch for a wild animal - Gamejunkie

25m ago - Far Cry 4 is a great game that is strengthened by its villain Pagan Min. | PC

Famitsu’s most wanted games (12/28/14)

38m ago - It’s time for the latest Famitsu’s most wanted games chart! Final Fantasy XV, Bravely Second, Per... | PS3

Super Smash Bros Wii U: Advanced Zero Suit Samus Combos Guide

53m ago - One Angry Gamer "There’s a new combo video making the rounds that shows off some advanced techniq... | Wii U

Study Game Design at DeVry

Indiegogo Game Crest Opts For Flexible Funding To Expand

1h ago - Developers Eat Create Sleep hope to raise interest in the game enough to make it a far bigger pro... | PC