Submitted by ssb3173 836d ago | opinion piece

Five great franchises they should give to a different developer

In an ideal world, there would be no intellectual property ownership, no hiding away of concepts for private gain, and ideas would flow freely between developers like tides of fairy dust. Everybody would have the right to leverage any fiction or approach, quality and quality alone would determine the definitive interpretation, and we'd all live happily ever after, eating jam and pies.

Heck, this could actually be the way things work. Perhaps all those copyright spats are just melodramas they've cooked up to keep us interested between screenshot mail-outs. You never know. Just in case, here's a list of franchises that might perform better in another studio's hands. Feel free to take heed, publishers. (3DS, Alien vs Predator, Final Fantasy, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, PC, PS3, PSP, Wii, Xbox 360)

CaptainSheep  +   836d ago
I would love to see a Final Fantasy game by Atlus.
Lucretia  +   836d ago
buuut.....atlus only publishes games -_-. lol

EDIT@ Wishingw3l

I stand corrected!

I like FF 13-2 though, and am looking forward to Versus.

sure key devs from square are gone but what can we do, the past is the past.
#1.1 (Edited 836d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
wishingW3L  +   836d ago
Atlus is a publisher and a develper. They are the ones that make the Growlanser series and many others. =/

#1.1.1 (Edited 836d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(0) | Report
Lord_Sloth  +   836d ago
No, Atlus makes many games themselves. Persona and Catherine for example. They just publish a lot more than they make.
jc48573  +   836d ago
Atlus didn't make Growlanser and I don't think they ever did.
#1.1.3 (Edited 836d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(3) | Report
Ranma1  +   836d ago
....Give FF back to Squaresoft (give it back to Sakaguchi)
#1.2 (Edited 836d ago ) | Agree(19) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
colonel179  +   836d ago
This! Enix needs to get the hell out of Squaresoft!
Lucretia  +   836d ago
People who say Enix needs to leave Square make me sick because they don't understand anything.

What made squaresoft what it was, was the developers. With sakaguchi gone and like mostly everyone gone its not the same team. Enix had good people back in the day too, but tri-ace left so thats not the case as much.

Nomura and Yoshida are the last good in square enix so what do you expect?

besides, crisis core, KH bbs, KH DDD, dissidia and 13-2 were all great games, but most people forget that stuff
Irishguy95  +   836d ago
Naw, Mistwalker and S-E need to co develop a game that involves the same teams than made FF 1-10

Toriyama was actually a great dev too, so long as he's not in charge of a project
#1.2.3 (Edited 836d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report
AIndoria  +   835d ago
What @Lucretia said. ^^ Cheers!

@Lucretia : A Disgaea fan? :P
crawling182  +   835d ago
How about a Final Fantasy made by PlatinumGames?
xflo360  +   835d ago
I think final fantasy should be given to level 5 not atlus, look at ni no kuni for example it has beautiful art design, classic rpg gameplay and an overall epic feel about it. i.e everything ff needs to be great again.
Relientk77  +   836d ago
Spyro the Dragon, Crash Bandicoot back the original developers
Hellsvacancy  +   836d ago
I still play the original Spyro The Dragon games, with my 4 year old daughter

Id love a proper next gen sequel, same play style as the original

I dont think itll ever happen though, Spyros time has been and gone

;(
Relientk77  +   836d ago
I can't tell you how many times I have beaten the 3 PS1 Spyro games, they are so much fun and I love re-playing them. Very good memories
ChunkyLover53  +   836d ago
With the success of Skylander's, I think its safe to say Spyro is staying put. That is a gold mine in and of itself.

Crash could use a reboot, but when he was originally popular, it was a different time. Sometimes games are great looking back, but don't translate well.

I say this applies quite often, I mean I always said I'd like a new Killer Instinct, but its a different time now, sure I enjoyed the SNES version as a kid or teen, but I didn't like the N64 version as much and I think I've possibly grown out of that franchise. There are a ton of examples like this.

Sometimes games are a hit at a particular time for a reason.
Lord_Sloth  +   836d ago
Here's his spread across several pages list.

Legacy of Kain to Mercury Steam
Silent Hill to Frictional
Mass Effect to CD Projekt
Alien vs Predator to Rocksteady
Final Fantasy to Atlus

And outsourcing is the PROBLEM with this current Gen, especially where my beloved Castlevania is concerned!
j-blaze  +   835d ago
"Silent Hill to Frictional"

hell no, we don't want a first person SH game...i think it should go to Japan Studio "to the team that made Siren" and Final Fantasy to Mistwalker
AIndoria  +   835d ago
Eh? Mass Effect?!
GupX19A  +   836d ago
I was about to rage when another person would suggest Final Fantasy be more western, but then I saw Atlus which is actually an interesting suggesting LOL.

Anyways, if people want want more Fallout or Mass Effect, just play them and wait for the sequels/spiritual successors. Not every JRPG has to play like it. (I realize this ain't the topic to say that...)
linkratos  +   835d ago
Atlus isn't Western...?
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   836d ago
These are actually decent suggestions.
Although I think Silent Hill should go back to a Japanese studio.
doogiebear  +   836d ago
Gve it to kojima, or let Sony Japan Studios make it (they made the ultra scary Siren series)
CLOUD1983  +   836d ago
I would love to see a Silent Hill game made by the genius Hideo Kojima!

And about FF although I agree that it must change hands I dont agree with ATLUS, the games they made have nothing to do with FF their best series Persona is a completely different fruit in comparison with FF.

FF must return to Sagakuchi's hand, hes the only one in my eyes that have the right to get it back, he was the mastermind behind the story & design of the best FF/JRPG in history.

But something tells me that Sagakuchi is not motivated enough for something like that, he is 50 years old now & I read somewhere that after The Last Story he doesn't plan to direct a game again, so I dont know who can take his place I cant think of any1 right now.

For me FF die 10 years ago, the last true FF we get was FFX, so I have nothing to look forward to every time a new FF unannounced, FF is in grave need of a savior to revive it & make it count again, & before some1 mention Versus I would say now that Versus in my eyes is just a spin-off no matter how gr8 will be if we ever get it on our hands an FF with that battle system is not what the main series need to reach the legendary status once hold.
#7 (Edited 836d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
3-4-5  +   836d ago
I want to play FF so bad....I just want there to be a game that interests me though.

I just started getting into DQ with DQ9 and love it and it makes me realize that sometimes simpler is better. If FF decided to make a less futuristic , less emo, more Fantasy SNES style FF game , then I would buy it first week.

They are missing out on bringing in new FF fans. FF7 brought them a whole generation of new fans = new money to make.
CanadianTurtle  +   835d ago
I'd say that the Resistance series needs a new dev. Its really hard to make a bad Resistance game. There is so much room for creativity in the universe and unique gameplay. You'll know what I'm talking about if you've played the games.

Nhilistic is now what I consider the worst game development team in the history of gaming. They did the impossible, they made a terrible Resistance game.
BitbyDeath  +   835d ago
Time Splitters > Insomniac
numonex360  +   835d ago
Final Fantasy should be made by Ubisoft/EA a developer that knows what they are doing. S-E latest games: FFXIII/XIII-2 and FFXIV have been second rate and well down on the great FF games produced by Square Soft during the mid 1990s to the early 2000s.

Halo series made by EA/Ubisoft and launched as multi-platform and coming out on Sony and Nintendo platforms. The Halo series could be as popular and successful as GTA and Call of Duty.

Killzone, Resistance and Uncharted series also made by EA/Ubisoft should be released on multi-platform. Shooters sell lots on XBox consoles and PCs. PC and XBox fans play shooters more than any other game genre.

Multi platforms = more sales and more profits.
#11 (Edited 835d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Tontus  +   835d ago
I'd love it if Sony Santa Monica developed Heavenly Sword 2!

At the moment God of War goes completely unchallenged as the best franchise of its genre by light-years, they could turn the Heavenly Sword franchise into another juggernaut in the hack n' slash genre with massive sales & critical acclaim.

It'll be great if Sony let them give God of War a little break, also if they do Heavenly Sword 2 maybe they could even tie Nariko in with Kratos' story in God of War IV and have some co-op play!
majiebeast  +   835d ago
Crash bandicoot to Sanzaru game's
Spyro to Sanzaru game's
Chrono series to Level 5
Final fantasy to Level 5
Time splitter's to Valve
Heavenly sword to ready at dawn
#13 (Edited 835d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Xperia_ion  +   835d ago
Mortal Kombat made by Blazeblue devs, lol. I would buy it.
#14 (Edited 835d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Kyosuke_Sanada  +   835d ago
-Oni/Platinum Games.

-Tenchu/Acquire and Kojima Productions (Joint Project)

-Parasite Eve/Atlus

-Rival Schools/Cyber Connect 2 (supervised by Capcom)

- Skullgirls /Reverge Labs and Arc Systems (Soundtrack composed by both Daisuke Ishiwatarii and Michiru Yamane)

ShockCast Ep. 197 - "The JorgeStation Experience"

31m ago - The guys are back from vacation to talk Playstation and award shows! | PC

FIFA 15 App Issues Again: Disconnect, Poor Server Response Times

50m ago - The latest FIFA 15 update to the game seems to have made the experience of using it a lot worse,... | Xbox 360

Block N Load Preview | Gamer Attitude

1h ago - Chris Hinchcliffe takes a look at Jagex's new game. | PC

War Thunder – Conflicts Series: WW2 Chronicles

1h ago - On December the 17th, War Thunder will be starting a series of historical events, step by step, i... | PC

Start Making Games for the PS4

Final Fantasy Explorers Original Soundtrack Now Available In Japan

1h ago - The original soundtrack of Final Fantasy Explorers, the new Final Fantasy series spin-off title l... | 3DS