While gamers can't possibly like every game they come across, have you encountered a studio that seems to make games
1) Rockstar 2) Naughty Dog 3) Sony Santa Monica Honourable mention - Insomniac Games Rotten Tomato Award - CDPR (used to be in my top 3... but we all know how that turned out.)
If not for Cyberpunk, CD Projekt RED would be on a lot of lists. xD
Cyberpunk was a giant miss for the devs, but Witcher 3 was still one of the best RPGs of a long time. Same with 2, honestly. The original is an acquired taste, and has some pacing issues, but it's still great content if you get past that.
Great point! Also, if it wasn’t for all the murder, Charles Manson was a genius.
Seconding this list. I'd actually put Capcom up here too in the honorable mentions after RE Village. Their work using the RE Engine for action and adventure games is just amazing. Hope they keep up the good work.
Capcom's been on a roll these last few years. RE7, REMake 2, Mega Man 11, DMC 5, Monster Hunter World... And Dragon's Dogma is straight up my favorite game ever. They've only lagged behind in their fighting game division, but the rest of the company is crushing it.
Agreed. For me its the same except Naughty Dog is top of the list, possibly Rockstar in third place.
I find Rockstar gameplay and mission design to be pitifully bad.
I agree. I think they're way overrated.
Rockstar ND Insomniac games Sony Santa Monica Capcom(lately quality) Most Nintendo and Sony studios make quality titles
From Software should be mentioned. They have had nothing but good games going on a 3rd generation now.
I second this. I'd put From first on that list and Capcom definitely deserves a spot too. As for ND..I think they should focus on something entirely different. Like an epic space open-world sci-fi rpg. Show Bioware how it's done. I'd also like to see what SSM can do when they are let loose - in this studio I trust when it comes to epic gameplay.
4) Housemarque 5) Hello Games (yes NMS, but play the Last Campfire...you're welcome.)
I am hoping for a Witcher 4 redeeming them... somewhat...
Definitely no developer from Microsoft
You're the #orangemanbad of videogame commentary.
I'll take that as a compliment since I'm telling the truth. Microsoft needs to raise the bar
If you choose. I'd say they had solid developers even before the acquisition. Playground games is a huge name in the industry. The coalition has done fantastic work with the last few releases. Rare is getting back to form under their management. Even Halo, as mismanaged as it is, still seems to do highly well. MS has had some flops, but most of their titles tend to do well. Of course there's room for improvement. They dropped the ball this gen; but it seems like you just want to trash them when, hey, in my opinion they're doing pretty well as a publisher, and their acquisitions just means more quality products coming forward. Legitimately, my most anticipated title around right now is Avowed, and that's because I love Obsidian and want to see what a 1st party bankrolled RPG in the Pillars universe will look like.
It's funny but Cyberpunk is the only game by them that I enjoy. I've never enjoyed a single game from Rockstar except Red Dead Redemption and L.A. Noire which they only helped with.
We really need to get away from this kind of thinking and always be cautious regardless of who is behind the game After so many fall from graces over the years, most recently CD Projekt Red, each game is like a fresh slate, you never know how things will go. If we get into this mindset of "Oh this developer / person has a great track record" it stops people from being more honest about the game and the flaws, people start to come up with excuses if the game does fall short, that's not saying the game is awful but more it's not as good as their last offering. For example if Kojima wasn't behind MGSV, I highly doubt it would have been received as well, same goes for Breath of the Wild if it was a multiplatform, brand new IP with no Zelda / Nintendo influence.
i ill disagree about Kojima and BoTW (Kojima is Kojima, and BoTW has some Nintendo mojo in it that i m jealous in every game) but i will agree with everything else..... perfectly fit of your sayings is ND with LoUS2,,...completely destroying the high expectations ...yet people still goes to defend the game (even get numerous awards) while had major flaws
"perfectly fit of your sayings is ND with LoUS2 ...yet people still goes to defend the game (even get numerous awards) while had major flaws" I disagree with this, i didn't buy Tlou because Neil Druckman is the writer, or In Tlou2's case.."Oh Neil again..its a must have". Having seen the leaks, i bought it and still enjoyed the game. A combined effort of all that is in the game. Graphics, the world, sound, the voice acting all too nothch. As for story, well thats up for debate. There are 3 types of people: 1. People who think its trash. 2. People who think its ok. 3 . People who think its a masterpiece. For me its 3. Whether or not you like the story doesn't change the fact that it's still an incredible next gen almost polished game thats a must have. To you its not...but to others it is. Take GtaV for eg. the story was really poor compared to previous ones but hey i still enjoyed the game. But Rockstar games are still must haves. And The Witcher 3? I thought their games will be must haves..based on their previous games. I played CyberPunk and it was frustrating as hell. The ai turned me off, the constant crashes too. I could have stuck for the story but being an open world where you're bound to roam and explore, these small details which you find in Rockstar games and Naughty Dogs..would have really helped Cyberpunk.
You could've realized the subjective nature of such examples when you disagreed with Foxtrot about MGS and BoTW, yet you're trying to pass your issues with TLoU 2 as objective flaws. Even if some of them are objective, the priorities of a group of gamers are never perfectly aligned. Different people can be fans of the same thing for very different reasons. One person's major flaw might be another person's minor gripe, or not even be important enough to pay attention to in the first place. That's precisely the reason why I don't put my trust in the name of a studio or director alone. Don't get me wrong the track record certainly plays a role, but the structure of a studio always varies and personal tastes and opinions change over time. What's important is to be in touch with your own interests and make informed purchasing decisions.
How was MGSV well-received? It was review bombed to hell and most fans say it's the worst of the series. If anything, it would have done a lot better if it had been an original IP with no ties to MGS and Kojima.
FROM Soft (obvs)
Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Sony Santa Monica, FromSoft
1) Naughty Dog 2) Sony Santa Monica 3) Rockstar 4) Guerrilla 5) FromSoft 6) Nintendo (first party, cant live without Nintendo) 7) Insomniac 8) Sega (ima lover of Yakuza and Judgment, etc) 9) Capcom
I agree except I think Insomniac should be a little higher
No love for Bandai's jRPGs?
I like their jrpgs as long as it isn't sao
The only answer.
Exactly. There's devs whose past work I respect, and might keep their upcoming titles in mind once announced, but there's not a singular studio I'd just buy their game simply because they made it.
For me: none. I’m not a shill.
My personal list just off the top of my head, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Devolver Digital, (love those guys), Insomniac, From Software, and SSM. If you're a gamer, you have at least one company that always comes through for you, and gives you a great experience. We can't all be miserable, close minded, clowns.
Real gamers don’t. We are gamers, not corporationers.
What are you on about senorfartcushion, real gamers know where the talent is at. It's like film fans, they know what to expect from different directors.
When you say real gamers, do you really mean young gamers? Us old timers understand the eb and flow of gaming.
No I mean “real.” People who care about the medium but know who to blame for economic inequality, as opposed to blindly fanboying for them, like brick-heads.
Games I bought from studios: Media Molecule: LBP (both), Tearaway (both), Dreams Naughty Dog: Jak series, Uncharted series, TLOU (both) Insomniac: R & C series, Sunset Overdrive, Spyro (remake), Spiderman (both), Resistance 3 Santa Monica: GoW series, The Order, Playstation All-Stars, Warhawk, Journey Sucker Punch: Infamous series, Ghost of Tsushima All of the Smash games I didn't buy all the games because, frankly, I didn't have time to play them all nor the money when I was younger. Parents thought video games were going to change and harm my brain. They have changed since due to lack of evidence. I used to love Nintendo but I got bored of Mario and Zelda, same with Xbox but with Halo and stuff. Honorable mention: Bluepoint, while they don't make "original" stuff so far, they have only remake games I have never tried or remake/remaster games I love and could enjoy at higher FPS. I have bought every game they have made so to me it's a must-play. Edit: I don't like the idea of "must-play" and rather think of it as a "must-try".
I think all devs have had a game or two I didn't like. Even Fromsoft and Naughty Dog....so I can't think of any. Based on quality, consistency, and quantity of releases, I generally think Rockstar, Nintendo, Supergiant, Naughty Dog, Larian Studios, Capcom, Platinum, SSM, Insomniac, Team Ninja, Guerrilla, P-Studio, Monolith Soft and a few others are the "best" developers.
1) Insomniac = game output 2) Sony Santa Monica = God of Gaming 3) Sucker Punch = Ready for whatever they throw at us next. 4) Naughty Dog = Taking Risk, pissing people off. 5) BluePoint Games = What you got up your sleeve next?
Naughty Dog Insomniac Sony Santa Monica Nintendo's 1st Party (I really have no idea who the eff they are) Sucker Punch Studios Playground Games Bungie Respawn Entertainment
Everyone can mess up, and there are bound to be games that you won't like from even the best devs. I didn't like TLoU 2, but ND are wizards and I will always praise them for the technical masterpieces they create. Then there're devs that haven't quite figured out all the computional wizardry that I can still praise for being really creative. Then there's Ubisoft, Activision, and EA who can't seem to escape from mediocrity no matter what amazing game they might put out once in a literal blue moon.
Nintendo. Blizzard. Valve
For me it used to be bethesda and cdpr. No more. Now i guess the only developer i get really excited for is rockstar. Because they actually give you value for your dollar and dont put out rushed garbage.
1. Rockstar 2. Capcom 3. UbiSoft 4. Naughty Dog 5. Halo/Gears Devs(MS) For me...
Ubisoft ah hellll nah 🥴✌🏻🤣 games are half price of less within 2-3 months new ones within 12 months 💰😑🤷 27995;♂️✌🏻
My favorite games ever are Ubi-Soft games. Splinter Cell, Rainbow 6, AC, and others..
That’s fair enough 😜✌🏻
1) Kojima 2) ND 3) Housemarque 4) Bluepoint (at least remakes) 5) Playground Games 6) Santa Monica 7) Nintendo 8) Shinji Mikami 9) Ken Levine 10) Tim Schafer 11) David Jaffe 12) Thatgamecompany 13) Rockstar
Not in any particular order: Sony Santa Monica Naughty Dog Sucker Punch Guerilla Insomniac Bluepoint FromSoft
Rockstar and Naughty Dog are the only studios I still get really excited for.
Respawn, they allways make good games
1) Naughty Dog 2) Playground Games 3) Retro Studios 4) Monolith Soft 5) Insomniac 6) Obsidian Entertainment 7) Larian Studios 8) Shin'en Multimedia 9) I'd put Nintendo on here, but I don't consider every game they make as must play.
You know, there's really no dev whose game I'd buy purely out of namesake, but Larian has pretty much hit it out of the park from day one. Dragon Commander was kind of meh, but the writing was top notch. I love Obsidian. Have made some of my favorite games; but they can be really hit or miss. Now that they have MS money, I'm hoping we really see amazing things happen.
Used to have a few but I’m doubtful now. There was a day that rockstar, bethesda and cdpr were on that list. Now I just wait and see. Though im pretty positive I’ll be buying the next battlefield day 1.
1. Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio - No game has been bad. All games have had some experiments and even if they don't always work, you can always be assured of the quality of world building. 2. From Soft Games - I feel their games are being kind of casualized. Bloodborne was easier than Dark Souls and Sekiro became even more easier, but again, they retain the quality of everything they do around the difficulty. 3. Id Software games - Probably the oldest one on my list, but apart from Rage 2 (Which was Bethesda's fuck up to partner them with Avalanche) and Doom 3, I can hardly recall a misstep. Heck they revitalized the FPS genre for me. Doom and Eternal are two of the best FPSs of the decade. 4. Arkane - Despite some issues, Prey, Dishonored 1/2 are three of the best games of the decade in terms of game design acumen. They easily take the cake when it comes to the best level designs and gameplay systems integrated together. 5. Larian Studios - I think this is the most obvious on the list. Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 are fantastic. Have yet to play BG3. Honorable mentions: Moon Studios - Both Ori games are fantastic, but they need a longer track record. Team Cherry - Giving them the shoutout not because they have multiple games, but the DLCs they added to Hollow Knight later on were too much to be given away for free. If Silksong is as good, then yes, my trust in them will be there. Eidos Montreal - Avengers and Mankind Divided being incomplete was Square Enix playing their cards. While Avengers was burning horsecrap, Deus Ex Mankind Divided had "Square Enix butchered the potential" written all over it. Cant help but feel that had it not been for SE, MD would have been just as masterful as Human Revolution. But if SE did bring back Deus Ex from Eidos Montreal, I would keep an eye out for them.
Solid list, bro.
Hell yes for id, Arkane and Eidos Montreal.
For me: 1. Every Playstation first party studio. 2. Housemarque (Returnal elevated them in my list). 3. Capcom (they have been on fire lately) 4. Bluepoint (they are masters at what they do). 5. From software. 6. Team Ninja (Nioh elevated them in my list).
In no particular order: Platinum Games Square Enix Capcom Bandai Namco Insomniac Naughty Dog I'm sure there's a few others I'm missing but these are the ones that immediately come to mind.
Klei and CDPR were the only ones left for me. Where I would buy automatically based on reputation. Cyberpunk took a dump on that and I haven’t heard from klei in years.
Rockstar, rocksteady, naughty dog, Santa Monica, Nintendo and Hideo Kojima for me. Doesn’t mean I’ll buy anything and everything everyone has a bad day (animal crossing plaza festival or whatever it was called) but generally this list for me is day1 or seriously interested.
No one has. Judge games on a per-game basis, not on a per-developer basis. Cyberpunk proved that. CDPR would've been considered a 'must play' developer prior to that.
1. FROMSoft 2. Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (AKA Sega's Yakuza team) 3. Platinum