Submitted by Ben_Rage_3 652d ago | news

Wii U Hits 40K sales in UK

The Wii U has just been released in the UK and has reached 40K in sales thus far. That may seem like much compared to the 400k sold in the us during the same period, but it's a sellout. (Wii U)

-Mika-  +   652d ago
SMH. This article is trying to cover up the failure that was the WiiU launch in Europe. I know the site is named Nintendolife but don't leave out important details and comparisons.

First off, the WiiU did not sell out. There are plenty of people in the UK and through-out europe saying they still see the WiiU in stores.

Second, the Vita sold more than this. The vita launched in europe selling 60-65K.

Check out the neogaf thread below. It a detailed thread about the horrible WiiU sales in europe/

lilbroRx  +   652d ago
You can't sell what doesn't exist. If it sold out then it sold out. You can't sell people air in a box.

Not that I expect you to use any logic.

Seems everybody forgot that "UNLIKE SONY AND MICROSOFT", Nintendo stopped using Foxconn to manufacture their console and they were the biggest producers. On top of that, there was a major fire at the Japanese factory that was manufacturing it as well a month or 2 ago.

They shipped all they could and all that arrived sold out. Not much more can be done than that. They will just have to sell them as they are developed like they did with the Wii.
#1.1 (Edited 652d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(13) | Report | Reply
Baka-akaB  +   652d ago
nvm its uk . Was saing that i dont put much stock in sold out consoles reports as it's readily avialable , even if selling well , but i'm not even in the uk
#1.1.1 (Edited 652d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(3) | Report
Knushwood Butt  +   652d ago
Where's the source reporting that the Wii U isn't manufactured by Foxconn?
quantae06  +   652d ago
Do u even live in the UK!? How would u know how many consoles were shipped to Europe?
#1.2 (Edited 652d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
jmc8888  +   652d ago
People forget, that while we ARE in a depression (actually greatest depression in the history of mankind), Europe is where it's being felt right now.

Do people really think anything is selling well in Greece, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, and Spain?
MultiConsoleGamer  +   652d ago
NeoGAF is an agenda driven fanboy spin machine.

NeoGAF told me the DS would be discontinued early and replaced by a portable GameCube.

NeoGAF told me the 3DS would be discontinued and replaced with a dual stick revision.

NeoGAF told me the Wii and the Xbox 360 would fail.

NeoGAF told me the 360 version of GTA IV had "problems" even though the ps3 version turned out to be inferior.

NeoGAF tells me that Xbox 360 and Nintendo hardware NPD sales are bad even though they haven't published Sony NPD data in over two years.

And since GAF supports the company that wants to push Nintendo out of the market you shouldn't believe anything they say about Nintendo, or anything else for that matter. Lol sock puppet message boards.
shiningpen   652d ago | Spam
KonaBro  +   652d ago
Wow.
I've never had to say this to anyone but you sir are an idiot. NeoGAF is probably one of the most informed message boards in the world. You definitely sound like a disgruntled fanboy who got their panties in a bunch when you saw info about your console of choice you didn't like. The only sock puppet is you.
MultiConsoleGamer  +   652d ago
"Most well informed"

Apparently not because I just posted a long list of things they were wrong about.

Anyone who still visis that sock puppet forum deserves to be lied to.

So either they're wrong all the time or they have a clear agenda and they're lying to people.
#1.4.3 (Edited 652d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report
Ben_Rage_3  +   652d ago
NintendoLife is a UK run website (meaning everyone who runs the website lives in the UK), so I think they know what they're talking about.
Linko64  +   652d ago
In Newcastle the wii U sold out in all major stores. So yeah i don't subscribe to the 'omg people are telling lies cuz they r clearly fan bois lul' argument.
rainslacker  +   652d ago
If it's anything like the US, it's sold out in some places and not in others. It's very possible even in Newcastle it's sold out in some stores but not in others.:)
richierich  +   652d ago
Well then Nintendo didnt put much work into marketing the console. But Im sure it will still be very sucessfull in the long term
#2 (Edited 652d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Godchild1020  +   652d ago
I wish more people would think like you when it comes to the Vita. While it didn't do well, this week, it will do well in the long term.
Jinkies  +   652d ago
Well not as good as it could be but at least it's not even worse.

I had a chance to play it today actually at HMV, had a go on Rayman Legends which is a good game much better then the first in my opinion but what I'm not liking despite people saying it was comftable was the game pad, it's too big for my liking and it's hard to get all four fingers to rest on the RT/LT and the front ones. Then theres the tikmes you have to use the touch screen and having to keep looking up and down...up and down etc. Kind of disapointing to be honest, it felt like another gimmick to me which they'll try and force into games. I think when I finaly do get one in June I'll buy a Pro controler.
PopRocks359  +   652d ago
You're not supposed to use all four fingers on the shoulder buttons. Or at least I never saw it that way. I'm perfectly comfortable using my index fingers.

So far the only game that seems to prompt going back and forth between the screens in the heat of the gameplay is ZombiU and one or two of the Nintendo Land attractions. I never had the issue you had playing the Rayman demo I tried out.

As for suggesting it's gimmicky, that's fair if you think that but I am curious as to what your opinion of the double/touch screen capabilities of the DS/3DS and Vita is, particularly the latter since some Sony fans insist that it in unison with the PS3 is an alternative to the Wii U.
#3.1 (Edited 652d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
jmc8888  +   652d ago
To each their own on the controller.

People also have to remember, you won't be standing up while using it like at a store.

You'll probably be in a chair, couch, floor, or recliner.

Myself it's a recliner, so it mostly lays pretty flat in my lap. I have two fingers on the trigger bar line with those fingers going over the buttons, so it's more of a press from the from the first knuckle area inward on the triggers.

Then my index fingers on the shoulder buttons, and that curve goes down around the side of gamepad. So basically the pressure from where I hold it goes there basically if the index finger continued down into your palm.

My fourth and pinky finger loosely grip on the little outgrowth on the bottom of the gamepad on the right and left side. The fourth finger mostly goes over, while the pinky more or less grips it.

From this position while on the lap it forms a pretty good 45 degree angle or so, which means you aren't really even holding the controller in an awkward position.

The looking back and forth is pretty intuitive. If not, it will be over time. Especially since once you get used to a game, you'll realize the times when you need to look at it or not.
Jinkies  +   652d ago
I was sitting down, they have there own games area with chairs so you can sit down. The only one that you stand is the handhelds.
Thepcz  +   652d ago
*high-fives nintendo*
...
#4 (Edited 652d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Sp1d3ynut  +   652d ago
Yes, let's celebrate failure and mediocrity, like giving the last place kid in the Fat Camp 1/2k run a consolation ribbon, and a cupcake.
Allsystemgamer  +   652d ago
Hey as long as its a half the fat health cup cake it's ok!!
WOW!!!!!!!!!! In 48hrs is that good? kinda low no? I thought they would have consoles to sell.
#5 (Edited 652d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
jmc8888  +   652d ago
Pretty strong if you ask me.

UK is 1/5 the size of the US. So multiply by 5 and that is what it would compare to for the U.S.

So basically it's the equivalent to the U.S. buying 200,000 units in 48 hours. I'd say that's pretty good, considering how bad things are in the U.K.

It's obviously worse in most of Europe, which I would expect to not sell as well. People can't be in bread lines and Wii U lines at the same time.
josephayal  +   652d ago
nintendo UK
strong, very strong
GribbleGrunger  +   652d ago
I'd say that is a reasonable number myself. It's not huge by any means but I reckon Nintendo will be satisfied with it. And it's only the UK too (a dot in Europe). Let's wait for the European numbers before we start judging it.

I also think the Wiiu is set up for a price cut 'if necessary' (PLEASE NOTE THE 'IF NECESSARY'). The fact that we didn't know the specs before it released suggests to me that Nintendo didn't want to tie themselves with the hardware. I wouldn't mind betting they can cut the price and still make a profit. But that's only in the light of a possible 'worse case scenario', which, at this point, is pure speculation and can't be gleaned from these early numbers.

Call it a 'just in case' strategy that Nintendo will surely have put in place.
#7 (Edited 652d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
ClaudiaSomers22   652d ago | Spam
ScubaSteve1  +   652d ago
remember U.K and Japan are not going to get a whole lot of systems unlike U.S.A did
dkgshiz  +   652d ago
These numbers are meaningless. Long term sales is the only thing to go by. Give it two years then you can see if the Wii U is a success or a flop.
KonaBro  +   652d ago
I really hope,
You guys aren't looking at this as good. Even the Vita managed to sell 60K in it's release. Also, the info we are receiving from sources in the UK are saying that the allocation was greater than 40K meaning that it didn't sell out like some would have you believe. Also MCV is not a legit source as they are the definition of a corporate ballwasher in media form. If they said it, then take it with a huge grain of salt.
mochachino  +   652d ago
If Nintendo thought demand was so low that they should only release 40 thousand units, the Wii U launch in the UK would be a failure before it even started.
#12 (Edited 652d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply

Hyrule Warriors Review - Gametrailers

4m ago - "While the Zelda series is no stranger to spin-offs, Hyrule Warriors is probably the most unexpec... | Wii U

Watch Dogs: Bad Blood has some tricks up its sleeves | Eurogamer

4m ago - It's been four months since Watch Dogs sold a ton of copies and earned itself Yves Guillemot's ru... | PC

SteamWorld Heist Hands-on Preview - NWR

4m ago - NWR: "Wednesday, August 13, 2014. I remember that day very well as it was the first day of Games... | PC

Forza Horizon 2 Deluxe & Ultimate Editions Revealed

4m ago - Forza Horizon 2 has an Ultimate and Deluxe Digital Editions available for pre-purchase via the Xb... | Xbox One

Destiny (PS4) Review

Now - Bungie’s next series is here, but how does it stack up? | Promoted post

#GamerGate: Games Journalist Calls Out Media’s Corruption

4m ago - One Angry Gamer "A certain Steve Tom Sawyer, a freelance writer, former contributor to Hardcore G... | Industry