It appears there has been a lot of backlash from many people over the introduction of a mandatory paid service for online play coming to the next generation Playstation.
Let me start by saying I am a PlayStation owner, and have been all my life.
Secondly I should state I have been a PS+ member for around 4 months now and have a fair bit of insight on this topic.
People are up in arms that they now need to pay $60 / £40 to play online. But why?
Let's see what we know you get for your money:
- You get Drive Club, a ps4 launch title, free of charge, for the same price as what the game would have cost anyway.
- Free games every month for the length of your subscription
- The ability to play next gen top quality games in all of their multiplayer / co op modes
- Cross game chat
- Cloud saves
- Automatic game and system updates
These last points are just assumptions as we don't have details as far as I'm aware
- The ability to stream, share videos and photos and connect with social networks
- The ability to use Gaikai when it launches*
* As gaikai hasn't been detailed in full yet, this could mean that over time the entire ps3 catalogue could become available to stream at no extra charge to your ps4.
All of these features for $5 a month is a steal if I ever saw one
Let's not forget this will also benefit Sony as another source of revenue to put back into PlayStation and create an even better service and acquire new games and exclusives.
I write this not to disagree with the people who liked having free multiplayer.
But to point out why it isn't a bad thing, and why it will benefit us all.