The Internet this week has been buzzing with chatter about the dueling Blu-ray/HD DVD formats. While there are journalists who predict the success of one format over another, there is growing consensus that this "war" will be longer and more vicious than anyone had previously predicted. A SciFi.com article has collected thoughts on the format war from CNET, Gizmodo, CrunchGear, PC Magazine, Coolest Gadgets, and Forbes.
Highlights of the collected thoughts are:
* The war isn't what matters: it's getting people to abandon the DVD in the first place (Yankee Group Research via CNet News)
* On Toshiba's sub-$1000 laptop with HD-DVD/DVD-RW drive: Meh. Could help? (Gizmodo)
* HD-DVD's new "U-Shop" gives that format an edge (CrunchGear)
* Dual-format players are not the solution (PC Magazine)
* A third competitor? Don't forget the HD-VMD (Coolest Gadgets)
* A fourth competitor? Downloads (Forbes.com)