Andriasang: This week's flying get magazine info is going to be big. I mean pre-TGS level big Why? Because both Dengeki and Famitsu are promising mega Square Enix features this week to follow up on last week's 1st Production Department premier event, so that means we can expect lots and lots of Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2, and Kingdom Hearts Dark Drape Duck details.
Update 3: Dengeki PlayStation has a two page spread on final Fantasy XIII-2 this week, complete with a one page interview with producer Yoshinori Kitase and director Motomu Toriyama. Here's a bit of what they say:
* XIII-2's story begins in Gran Pulse after the ending of XIII.
* The story will feel like it expands out from the after story that was included in the booklet with Xbox 360's Final Fantasy XIII International.
* Outside of Lightning, other characters will appear in the game in unexpected forms. Some will see major changes.
* XIII-2 is a full sequel. You'll learn some of the things that took place in the background scenes of XIII.
* The story will be more dark and mysterious than XIII's.
* The story will focus on the goddess Etro.
* The game will not have the pop feel of Final Fantasy X-2 (I think this means no dancing Lightning booooo)
* The battle system will be an evolved form of XIII's ATB system.
* They're listening to opinions both inside and outside of Square Enix and from outside of Japan regarding characters, story and interface.
* There may be a difficulty setting.
Update 2: Here are some more Versus XIII details from Dengeki's feature and its interview with Tetsuya Nomura. Included are some comments from Nomura indicating that we shouldn't expect the game this year:
* Main character Noctis is not "cool." He's just a normal youth. He feels "I am strong," but he's not as strong as he thinks.
* Some segments of the trailer show natural landscapes. These are like the fields you encounter in other games. The game will have time progression: morning, afternoon, evening and night.
* Contrary to some theories, the dragon rider character who appears in the trailer is not heroine Stella. Nomura says he wouldn't show Stella in such a state. The character you see in that sequence is an enemy.
* You can steal army vehicles for your use. You can ride air ships, cars and Chocobos.
* The blonde character shown in the trailer is Noctis's friend. The other two characters are friends from Noctis's childhood. The person with glasses is like Noctis's tactician.
* You'll recall that someone in the trailer says "You're not fit to be king," or something to that effect. This statement is not directed at Noctis. (I think everyone assumed it was!)
* Nomura says something along the lines of: This year, we have Type-0 and XIII-2, so please forget about Versus for a while. He asked that people be patient and understand that they're trying to do something incredible.
* At the earliest, we could see more from Versus XIII at E3.
Update 1: A few Versus battle system details have leaked out:
* The actual battle screen in the final game will show character names.
* Some areas regarding how the battle screen shows commands will probably change for the final.
* Magic has different effects depending on the character who uses it.
* A young blonde male character shown in the magazine's screenshots is good with guns. He alone has aiming controls and can aim for enemy weak spots.
* When other characters use guns, they have just a normal lock-on.
* The game has a large number of weapons. Main character Noctis can use them all.
* Your battle party can have up to three members. However, the members who aren't taking part in the battle will join in on conversations.
* There are more party members than the four shown in the magazine. However, the game doesn't have a massive number of party members.