Top
540°

Destructoid: How Microsoft ruined fun for everybody

Destructoid writes: "I love my Xbox 360 just as much as I love my PlayStation 3. It's got a great library of games that I've invested a considerable amount of time and money into over the past few years, and it's a system that will likely still be serving me for some time to come.

That said, in a significant parallel to the PS3, my love for the system seems to come at an inverse proportion to my love for the company behind it. I am of course talking about Microsoft, otherwise known as the poster boy for corporate greed and everything that is wrong with America. Not my words, the words of other people ... probably.

Despite bringing out a good console that many true gamers have flocked to, Microsoft has also helped to ruin fun for everybody. Perhaps you don't believe me, and are preparing to call me a "bias troll that's trying to get fired" already, but please read the article before making your accusations".

Read Full Story >>
destructoid.com
Oculus Quest Giveaway! Click Here to Enter
The story is too old to be commented.
JaggedSac3828d ago

LOL. Looks like it must be the emotional time of the month for this blogger. Take some Midal before posting please.

gamesR4fun3828d ago

but theres nothing wrong with ms getting into the console game and i dont think they did more harm than good. Fact is they put the stakes up with their online services. Sure ps3 is almost as good and free but its ms that pioneered it imo.
I suspect if they had made a more reliable machine and curbed their greed a bit they would b #1. Lucky for Sony and Nintendo they fell short.

3828d ago
Rock Bottom3828d ago (Edited 3828d ago )

N4G should have a separate section for "emotional" bloggers.

Maddens Raiders3828d ago (Edited 3828d ago )

"I am of course talking about Microsoft, otherwise known as the poster boy for corporate greed and everything that is wrong with America."

"One feeling a console should never, ever evoke, however, is fear. People should not be afraid to turn their Xbox 360s on, faced with a grim inevitability that one day it just won't work anymore. However, this is the prevailing emotion that Microsoft has given to gamers. A dread feeling every time they turn on a 360 and feel that it's taking longer to switch on than usual. That timid wait for the blessed arrival of lights that flicker green instead of red. That horrible moment when a game just crashes while trying to load, and the scramble to reset the Xbox in the hopes that it switches on again."

I expect we'll see more and more of these "sudden conversion" articles as the train pulls further and further away from 2005. Oh, the humanity!

lmfao

phosphor1123828d ago

So expect a one for Nintendo soon as well.

Immortal Kaim3828d ago

I think it's hilarious, you know why, cause most of it is true. The 360 is the most dodgy piece of hardware I have ever owned (PS2 is second), if they didn't have the strong games and community like they do, I wouldn't touch it.

Elven63828d ago

"Microsoft, otherwise known as the poster boy for corporate greed and everything that is wrong with America. Not my words, the words of other people ... probably"

LOL! This guy has obviously never heard of companies like IBM, GM, Enron, etc! Microsoft has done a few shady things in the past but they have many redeeming qualities about them, just look at the huge amounts of cash they donate to various charities on a yearly basis.

The article itself is ridiculous, comparing 360 themes to PS3 themes? Probably because it takes more work to create a 360 theme then it does a PS3 theme, plus Sony gives the tools to make said PS3 themes at home. Microsoft isn't very "bullying" when it comes to charging for small stuff, when it comes to other items such as DLC, map packs, etc they may be a bit more aggressive.

Hardware issues are a problem yes but Microsoft has done much to rectify this to the best of their abilities. The problems have severely decreased over the past few months.

The days of companies on the scale of Microsoft, Sony, Activision, EA, etc being able to make money using low price models like Mr. Sterling suggests if impossible.

This is a stupid ass rant, why is Jim Sterling still writing for Destructoid anyway?

Tony P3828d ago

By the same guy who wrote "Sony needs to STFU"? 'Nuff said.

IdleLeeSiuLung3828d ago

I'm of the belief that the market will correct itself. Screw over your customer and they will eventually revolt.

From all I have seen most of the customers seem to be happy and the most unhappy onces seems to always complain about 2-3 things:

a) RROD which is justifiable, but now a days is a non-issue.

b) Pricing on various item, most notably DLC and Xbox Live Gold. Well if you don't like it, don't buy it. There are perfectly other great alternatives so bugger off!

c) Advertisement on NXE. This to me is a great thing, because all this advertisement is so far relevant. Do you complain about Google showing you relevant ads at the top? What about if Google showed you irrelevant ads?

I think it is fair that MS tries to profit from their business and that is an important factor. If Sony had come out with subscription based PSN and more agressive pricing, they might have afforded to get a price cut sooner.

If consumer don't like it they will avoid it and the company is forced to change their business or suffer!

heroprotagonist3828d ago

The things I don't like about the Xbox 360 are:

1. RROD, E74, and just crappy reliability all around
2. Expensive proprietary accessories. The hard drives cost a ridiculous sum of money and I don't like that I can't use Bluetooth or regular USB headsets like you can on the PS3.
3. Paying extra for Wi-fi
4. The feeling that most Xbox 360 "exclusives" are not going to stay exclusive and will be available on another console eventually.
5. Paying for Xbox Live. It just isn't worth it to me. PSN does what I need and is free.

So I agree with a lot of the points in this article even though it is basically a crappy article just like the one he wrote attacking Sony.

Alvadr3827d ago

240 Points to down load a theme... After paying an annual subscription to Xbox Live....!!!

And people moan about Sonys pricing policies... Whatever

willie62893827d ago

"just look at the huge amounts of cash they donate to various charities on a yearly basis. "

you do know that this is done for the huge tax write offs they get right? every large company does donations. check out phillip morris for a good example. does that make them a good company? no.

Corepred43827d ago

if you believe that microsoft is giving money to charities because it wants to. ever heard of taxes? and you know that they use these charities just to get tax breaks. if it weren't for taxes you know they would't be giving out a dime!

JD_Shadow3827d ago

"c) Advertisement on NXE. This to me is a great thing, because all this advertisement is so far relevant. Do you complain about Google showing you relevant ads at the top? What about if Google showed you irrelevant ads?"

The issue, though, is that they show these ads even AFTER they get your money for the year long Gold membership to XBL, which is inexcusable. If you're not paying for the service (like, if they were only showing them on accounts from the Silver memberships), then that would be understandable. But not AFTER you've paid for the service (where most other services would have those ads removed once payment was received).

And with those Google ads, they're not as "in your face" as the XBL ads are being.

jden283827d ago

First of all Gamers have had one fear or another for almost every game system ever created. Example; nes & snes blowing on carts to get it to play, ps1 had to turn it upside down to prevent over heating cause air vents were on the bottom, ps2 had 3 first one scratched a ring on my disc 2nd disc read errors wouldn't read the blue disc, jaguar no support, saturn killed early, dreamcast killed early, n64 weak 3rd party support stupid cartriges costed 60 bucks back 13 yrs ago.

So rather it's a hardware problem most notorious are ps1,ps2, & xbox 360 or a software shortage or the whole platform dying a early death there has always been fear.

Second all of these companys are out to make money and they should. but your right I don't like shady tacktics. For instance nintedo in the early nes & snes days used it's market dominance 95% to prevent sega and other from getting a foothole and had publishers sign contracts and prevented developers from making games on any consoles but thiers. Sony used it's market dominance 70 % in it's ps1 and ps2 days to secure exclusives even though it didn't have the best hardware that generation,(xbox), imagine ffx built from the ground up to use xbox specs...mmmmm..sweet...

Third yup your right paying too much for too little sucks... I'm talking about all the crappy 1200 point games that have and will follow braid. However is something has value or is exceptional then I'm willing to pay, and xbl is!! better than psn thats why I pay and they're looking to add more things to it and give more to gold members who pay for it . Oh xbl is better bcause downloads are faster, we get more content than psn, not because msoft pays for it but because msoft doesn't charge developers per mb for comsumers to download it. So we'll get more and get it first.

Last didn't sony get in the market to stick it to nintendo not because sony was making magnificent games at that time.

So I say you're a jaded gamer with a short memory, but thats ok we all have short memories or should, because don't we play games to get away and some fun.. I'm forgetting this already it's time to play something.....

3827d ago
callahan093827d ago (Edited 3827d ago )

1) Most PS3 themes are free, and there are literally hundreds of free themes available, not to mention that themes on the PS3 are fully customizable and you can make your own themes.

2) There is no advertisement on PSN except within the store itself. Even there, there are no advertisements for anything other than games. On the XMB, there is not a single ad.

3) Most PSN games are 10 dollars, or less. A lot of them are priced at 3, 5, 6, 7, or 8 dollars. Not to mention that they often give away games for free (I've gotten about a half dozen PSN games for free in the past year)

4) OK.

IdleLeeSiuLung3827d ago

I guess I can see that people have commonly associated paid for service means no advertisement, but the advertisement is relevant. If they started showing irrelevant ads, then I would complain, but I personally prefer the ads. They show me what is upcoming and almost could be considered relevant information rather than ads.

For instance I didn't realize that The Secret of Monkey Island came out without the ads.

Perhaps a solution to it is the ability to turn it off, but the way I see it is MS now has much more financial power to benefit the consumer i.e. the lower console cost among other things.

If you don't like it, don't use it.

All-33827d ago

1)Most PS3 themes are free, and there are literally hundreds of free themes available, not to mention that themes on the PS3 are fully customizable and you can make your own themes.

> Are there 'premium' themes for the PS3 - yes or no?

2) There is no advertisement on PSN except within the store itself. Even there, there are no advertisements for anything other than games. On the XMB, there is not a single ad.

> Are there ads in the PSN store - yes or no?

> Are there ads in Qore - yes or no?

3) Most PSN games are 10 dollars, or less. A lot of them are priced at 3, 5, 6, 7, or 8 dollars. Not to mention that they often give away games for free (I've gotten about a half dozen PSN games for free in the past year)

> Are there $15 dollar PSN games - yes or no?

> Are there $15+ dollar PSN games - yes or no?

The answers to ALL of the above BTW - is YES.

thewhoopimen3827d ago (Edited 3827d ago )

To throw a wrench into your lame slippery slope argument All-3, lets put some clear unmistakable arguments up for consideration:

- Do your paid-for premium themese for pre-NXE still work post NXE
Y or N?
- Did you pay $20 (1200 pts) for Battlefield on XBL when everyone paid $14.99 on the Ps3?
Y or N?
- Did you tack on that $49.95/ year cost on top of all XBLA purchases?
Y or N?
- Do you happen to forget "premium" themes on Live cost about $3.00 (250 pts) when it all PSN "premium" themes have cost less than $1.99
Y or N?
- Do you think we're all so stupid that you can just cover glaring price differences with your candy nail polish arguments?
Y or N?

I rest my case.

I think reading through these posts and how many "anonymous" posters give carte-blanche to MS's charging tactics. It's clearly more cost-effective for Microsoft to hire a bunch of PR bu11shitters who 'smooth' over details with their lame straw-man arguments then it is to simply cut prices overall. Pay 3 guys? lose $105,000 to salary cost. Cut a game's price by $2.00-3.00? Lose meellions.

+ Show (17) more repliesLast reply 3827d ago
jarhead9063828d ago

This is just an example of criticism for a company's actions. A similar article could be brought up for both Sony and Nintendo or even any large developer like EA or Activision.

While the tone of the article probably won't resonate well with Xbox 360 fans and put others off completely, the author merely pointed out the pitfalls of MS's business strategies that are usually overlooked.

The primary bullet-points in the article are quite simply true. From the theme pricing to the 'test' of how much gamers are willing to pay for XBLA games such as Braid are a testament to that.

This article will probably get bad rep because it doesn't fall in line with being the most popular opinion; and we all know that the most popular opinion is the correct one.

Mo0eY3828d ago

Now that this has hit the front page, I hope more Xbox fanboys come here to read all of these bullet points that Destructoid pointed out. Maybe it'll open their eyes about how they are getting shafted by a greedy monopoly.

FragMnTagM3828d ago

Last time I checked Sony charges for avatar clothes and loads more crap also like apartments and clubs and the like... so your point is....?

I'll give anyone the RROD argument, but it is nowhere near like it was. My launch console died on me last year and this one I have now seems ok.

Harry_Manback3828d ago (Edited 3828d ago )

"My launch console died on me last year and this one I have now seems ok."

What are you trying to say? That your launch console DIDN'T seem ok prior to its premature death? I highly doubt it. Thats just the thing too, you really don't know when the damn things are going to die. They don't show any warning signs that a problem may be on the horizon, they just straight up kick the bucket!

willie62893827d ago

"Last time I checked Sony charges for avatar clothes and loads more crap also like apartments and clubs and the like... so your point is....?"

the difference is there is no monthly fee on psn.

jessupj3827d ago

I mostly agree with the article as well. He's basically saying he loves his 360 and the fun he's had over the years with it, but he hates MS. Frankly, I hate MS as well. Yes they have created a good gaming experience for 360 owners, but they have taken a lot from the industry instead of conbributing. I won't go into all the specifics, but if it wasn't for MS my PS3 experience would probably be a lot better.

It's not all MS though, of course sony is to blame as well. The issue here I'm talking about is 3rd party support. MS rushed out with a defective console, instead of taking pride in their work and making sure they have a quality product. Because of this they procured quite a big lead, so of course devs will give more support for the bigger install base. Of course the PS3's high price and complicated hardware are factors as well, but none so great then MSs 1 year head start.

I'm not annoyed that MS released their console when they did. If I was in charge I'd do the exact same thing. What I'm annoyed at is MS, knowing they had a defective console, still released it before it was ready. The motivation there was purely greed. Let me say that again....purely greed. Yes sony wants to make money as well, but they also have a passion for their product and games. You can see many examples of this.

That's why I choose the PS3. Because Sony has a passion for it's games as well. It's pretty darn obvious MS only cares about 2 things; money and bragings rights to show down sony's throat. And it's games and products clearly show this selfishness and lack of passion.

+ Show (2) more repliesLast reply 3827d ago
XLiveGamer3828d ago (Edited 3828d ago )

You the consumer is the one who decide what to buy and what not to buy.

Is not Microsoft the one to blame about price content on Xbox Live and nobody from there have a shotgun in my forehead forcing me to buy their stuff. People who spend money on digital useless stuff are the ones to blame but ones again NOBODY have a shotgun in their foreheads.

FEAR? Not for me. Of course there have been many RROD and some E74 but some of those "RROD News" have been exaggeration on the internet.
Do i have fear? NO my xbox360 have been running smoothly since 1st day, NO disc scratch, NO RROD, NO E74 and NO noise.

But hey some people forgot about this and other similar complains about PS2: http://www.consumeraffairs.... <<< Now that is a stupid mistake coming from a HARDWARE company. Dont forget that the people behind the Xbox360 CPU are: Sony & IBM.

Is your mind trapped on this Xbox360 vs PS3 vs Wii vs PC?
Here a solution: GROW the Fnck Up!

topdawg1223827d ago

No noise? now i know you're lying

Gue13827d ago

Do not try to compare a 30-33 percent failure rate to the mere 5 to 10 percent on the PS2. I have friends with almost 5 broken Xbox's for god sake! That's just gross and shows that you really like to get ripped-off by MS.

MS says that they want to give you a choice but when the choices are as expensive as they are, I don't want any choices then... Expensive HDD, Wi-Fi card, pay to play online and for everything that it is in it, very unreliable console, etc. It is really a miracle that people are still supporting the brand. Figure it out.

-But but btu the X360 is the PS2 of this Gen!

The X360 doesn't have as many games releases as it used to and the sales aren't that far from the PS3 either. No quality, no consistency. That's what happen when you don't have a great first party support and only depend of third party's for great tittles on your console. =D

thedukeofkna3828d ago (Edited 3828d ago )

stay away from this one folks, just more fuel for the never ending console wars.

is it me, or is this all destructoid is good for?

whateva3828d ago

both articles are dumb and just used to get hits on the website by mad fanboys.