Sony's UK studio is looking for a senior/lead designer to help bring Wipeout to the PS3 platform. This would all but confirm that the next game in the series appears to be in development.
FROM SCEE's RECRUITMENT PAGE:
Senior/Lead Designer - URGENT
Wipeout is the most revered, innovative and respected arcade/action racing franchise of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios.
To have a key role in realising future iterations of Wipeout on PSP and PS3.
- Being instrumental in defining & maintaining the creative direction of a major SCEE franchise.
- Have a good understanding of the games market & the ability to identify the key factors in producing commercially successful products.
- Be aware of the needs of the global target audience & be able to deliver designs which satisfy those needs.
- A strong track record of leading major projects.
- Responsibility for the creative direction of at least one commercially successful shipped product.
- Ability to generate original and innovate ideas.
- An interest in contemporary trends in art, design and music would be an advantage.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Though pretty much expected this is the first proof that a next-gen version of Wipeout is in (or will soon be) development for the PS3.