Game Focus writes: "2K Sports is back again with NHL2K9 and this time it is Visual Concepts and not Kush Games developing. With the competition melting the ice with their solid title, it is more important now than ever before for 2K Sports to pick up the pace and deliver a solid and enjoyable sports game that will appeal to both the hardcore hockey fan and those with even a remote enjoyment of the sport."
* Simple control scheme
* Lag-Free Online and plenty of online options
* Team 2K is a smart idea.
* In-Game Sports Ticker
* User controlled Stanley Cup celebration
* Easy Menu surfing
* 12 player online action
* Graphics really need an upgrade
* Lack of single-player options including no create-a-player
* Commentary is really bland
* Collision system not that effective
* Questionable AI
* Might be a bit too easy for veterans of the series or hockey fans