Halo and Destiny studio Bungie has decided to resurrect the Marathon series that it created in the early ’90s, and announced it at the PlayStation Showcase 2023. While the original trilogy of games were first-person shooters with single-player and multiplayer arena deathmatch modes, this new Marathon is a multiplayer-only extraction shooter. So, when will it be coming out? This guide will help players answer the question of the Marathon release date and what the story for the game is.
- Bring gaming worlds to life – Feel your in-game actions and environment simulated through haptic feedback*. Experience varying force and tension at your fingertips with adaptive triggers*.
- Find your voice, share your passion – Chat online with the built-in microphone. Connect a headset directly via the 3.5mm jack. Record and broadcast your epic gaming moments with the create button.
- A gaming icon in your hands – Enjoy a comfortable, evolved design with an iconic layout and enhanced sticks. Hear higher-fidelity** sound effects through the built-in speaker in supported games.
- DualSense Controller PS5 and PC compatible. Not compatible with PS4.
When Is Marathon Coming Out? Estimated Release Window
The Marathon release date is currently set as TBA (To be announced), as developer Bungie have not given a date for when the game will be launching. The studio did announce that Marathon will be coming to PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, and Xbox Series S. According to The Loadout, its estimated release window will be in late 2025, as CEO Pete Parsons previously mentioned he wanted “other franchises” outside of Destiny up by 2025.
Since there is no date for when the game is coming out, there is not yet a way to pre-order the game and see if there are multiple editions to choose from. Despite how early the announcement is, Bungie did say that Marathon will support both cross-save and cross-platform play, so players do not need to worry about not being able to play alongside friends.
What Is Marathon About?
Marathon is a sci-fi player-versus-player extraction shooter in the vein of Escape from Tarkov. Players infiltrate the world, defeat other players, gather up loot, and then try to leave when done.
Bungie gives this description of the game on the official website: “A massive ghost ship hangs in low orbit over a lost colony on Tau Ceti IV. The 30,000 souls who call this place home have disappeared without a trace. Strange signals hint at mysterious artifacts, long-dormant AI, and troves of untold riches. You are a Runner, venturing into the unknown in a fight for fame… and infamy. Who among you will write their names across the stars?”
Today’s best deals
- Logitech G903 wireless gaming mouse – Save $30
- Logitech G G923 – Save $50
- Samsung Odyssey G65B – Save $150