Ryse... The best?
I am not here to go on about why Ryse isn't the best looking game this generation but this is more along the lines of how anyone came to this conclusion. After looking at the game in detail, I really can't be anything but awe struck, not in a good way. Now you may automatically assume I mean graphically but what I am about to show you has nothing to do with graphics at all.
I am posting this because of a user I came across who pointed out some issues in this recently heated debate about Ryse being the best looking next generation title, issues that I didn't really notice before in the game. Honestly I am kind of shocked now after seeing all these problems that no one during E3 or anywhere else pointed them out. I guess when you are watching something in action it is really hard to pay attention to detail but after really looking into these Ryse images, I wanted to highlight some issues, well there are quite a few actually. So strap yourself in and get ready for a long read.
People will use the alpha excuse all they want I am sure but knowing the Xbox One isn't too far off from being released it is kind of a worry. Alpha or not I am surprised Crytek of all people would even put this out there to be seen in its current state, for instance the first CoD Ghosts trailer used fake lighting which created an up roar but somehow no one noticed these problems in Ryse.
Everyone also knows by now that this game was going to be released on the Xbox 360 as a Kinect title but it was held off and put on the Xbox One instead. Knowing it has been in the works for quite some time with that information, this worries me even more seeing these in game issues are still prevalent.
I am going to put up the images where I have highlighted each problem in a red circle. Seriously I am amazed not many people have pointed this out besides one person here on N4G. You would expect this to be on GAF or something for everyone to talk about.
I will post two of the same image, one without any highlights and one with them just so people understand how important it is to pay attention to detail. I know many of you probably won't notice any of this until I point it out, I didn't either until someone else did.
I will be linking them all. I guess I will address the problems from left to right, top to bottom in that in order, so it is easier to see exactly what I mean. Feel free to save these images so you can zoom in yourself and see more in detail, they should be 1920x1080 unless something goes wrong with the links.
Here is the first image with no highlights.
Now here is the first image with each problem highlighted.
1. Okay first, look at every guy levitating dead on the ground. Not a single one of them is actually on the ground in that area, they are all floating. You can even clearly see their shadows being projected below also. The circle within that shows how one of the floating men, his sword is just hanging there inside the ground.
2. Now lets move onto the next highlighted area. Look at every guys stance. They are basically standing and fighting the exact same way. Again the circle within that shows another pair of men fighting but they are sunken within the ground almost past ones knees, just like how before you saw the glitched sword. Within that area there are actually more guys falling slightly into the ground.
3. Now to the background, where the guys are all fighting in the water. Notice how every single one of them is not in the water, they are standing on top of it, again almost every one of them fighting is in the exact same stance meaning they all must be doing the same thing.
4. The circle below that once again shows almost every pair that is fighting each other are all doing the same exact motion and stances again. Also look at the diversity of the character models in the field. There is none, almost all of them look exactly the same just switched around in some places or have different hair and pants.
5. With the last circle below that you can see the same monotonous stances again and that the character models are few and far between.
Here is the second image with no highlights.
Now here is the second image with the problems highlighted.
1. If you look at all the guys with bows, once again you see the ones at the top where you can see where the feet connect to the ground, they are all floating. Not only that but again ever single one of them standing back there is in the same exact stance. Not only that but the same reused character models with only different hair and pants.
2. Now look at the hair in his helmet, they look a little odd to you don't they? Because you can actually see the frame used for it, with the hairy bits at the top. It shouldn't look that way.
3. So now take a look at him cutting his neck from the back, can you see the sword magically cutting through his metallic helmet.
4. Below that another time you see the guy dead on the ground, sinking into the ground, his legs are falling through.
Now here is the third and last image without highlights.
Now here is the third and last image with the problems highlighted.
1. These are some big technical issues here and this image surprises me the most that no one managed to see this, it is actually kind of funny how messed up it is. You will immediately notice in the first circle there is a guy flying in the background. I mean literally he is just hovering there over the rock wall.
2. On to the next blunder, this is hard to notice and I bet most even with it highlighted won't notice it. Now look at the guy being stabbed with the sword. Do you notice anything in that circle that seems weird to you? Probably not but if you actually look closely. He has two left hands, just look, his right hand has a pinky where his thumb should be. You can actually see the hand closing also and it is clearly a left hand closing, when it should be a right one. No matter how you bend your arm, you can't get it to do that and if the hand was turned properly to give that appearance, his fingers would be facing to the right of the picture, not to the left.
3. The last and final problem is that the main character, one of his calf muscles are almost like a square.
Well that just about covers it all for now, I am sure if I actually looked for more images I could find even more issues like these. Of course every game around experiences some type of technical problems but there sure are a lot in Ryse. Point being they have been working on this game for what will be going on three years now, by the time it is probably released. It still has issues like that though even with close to three years of work.
I thought it was interesting and how it relates to the question I first asked is easy, with all the visible problems how can people be calling this game the best next generation title there is? It sure doesn't look that way to me, especially not after seeing all those problems. All The character models are so similar and lack any variety, all of them fighting out in the field look completely animated to the point it appears to have no life because every person fighting is practically fighting the same way, one after the other. All the bow and arrow guys just stand their like drones again floating with all the same stances. So much so it really does look as if someone just copy and pasted them around the battlefield in areas.
I am really not too impressed with this game at all anymore after looking at it in detail. If the end result is anything like that then darn that just sucks. Like I said there isn't much time for this game to be worked on and honestly that looks like quite a bit to deal with. It does seem a little bad that Crytek would release any images or anything for that matter with that many noticeable problems so close to release. It is a launch title after all.
Some may say it isn't that close but months fly by like nothing, before we know it the PS4 and Xbox One will be here.
If anyone else can maybe find something that I missed or has any of their own to share, please do just that. Thanks, if you took the time out of your day to read this no matter how you perceive it, it is still time that you spared.