Consoles Will Never be like Steam
Still drinking Kool-aid that Microsoft is not even selling any longer, many people are under the impression that the Xbox One as it was originally conceived was an excellent idea. A handful of people think that with DRM, Xbox One would have managed to lower prices and have better sales. The prices would even be on par with Steam. But the fact of the matter is that Xbox One was never going to be like Steam and consoles themselves will never mimic Steam.
What is a console? It is a closed platform. That means that Microsoft (in the case of Xbox One, which supposedly would have been the bringer of Steam-like service for consoles) manages everything and makes money off of everything that passes through it. It also means that there is absolutely no "internal" competition; once someone buys an Xbox, they have one source to buy digital games and one only; XBL. You don't like the price of the game on XBL or how they serve it? Too bad.
What is Steam? It is a game service on an open platform. That means that Valve does not control where you buy games when you buy a computer (other than titles brought to you by Valve and games that just happen to be exclusive to their service, but that's digressing). In order to keep customers, they must compete with other services, as there is plenty of "internal" competition within the platform of the PC.
On one platform, there is infinite amount of incentive to keep prices low. On the other, there is little incentive (other than the potential to get you to ultimately spend more with good deals, but the gaming industry doesn't seem to get this concept anyway). You don't like the prices on the console? Your alternative is having a massive paperweight; console manufacturers know that you have no other option once you've spent the money for the system. You don't like the prices on a specific PC game service? You find another; game distributors know that you have loads of alternatives.
It is business 101; if you control the supply, you can control the demand. Consider diamonds; they are far from rare, but one company controls about 80% of diamonds worldwide and has perpetuated the belief that they are valuable (and the other 20% takes advantage of being in a position of selling something that the western world has been convinced that you can't prove your love without). It is very similar (to a smaller scale, obviously) on consoles; they have no reason to charge you less if they control their economy/supply of digital games.
I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but consoles will never be Steam. There are fundamental differences in the infrastructures of a PC game distributor and a console and they do not favor consoles in prices.