It was a sad day two days ago. My 60gb fat PS3 ,sadly, packed in after 4 years and 3 months. What makes this situation worst was I bought From Dust and was thoroughly enjoying it until my PS3 cut out. Now I am in a dilemma on how to move on. I have got all these PS3/PSN games that I still play so I would like to get another. But there is a surprising number of option out there.
One option is to wait. There are signs that the next generation is coming soon. I could wait for this generation to end before picking up a new console but the problem with this solution is how long the generation could be anything between a year to two or more years away. Sings may be there hinting at a new generation but with Uncharted 3 and ACR (my biggest games coming out) I would not only be missing out but I could be waiting for a while
The next option is to get it fix/fix it myself. I have had a look and it doesn't look to complex but how long does this fix really last? I have seen on forums that a fix can last 2 months and some of the prices floating around the web and at my local It shop are well a little extreme for something that can break again in as little of two months. So realistically this option doesn't make sense. It would mean I could play my PS2 games but not really a permanent fix.
So this leads me to one final option. Buying another PS3. £200 is not bad for another PS3. But this again runs into other options. There are basically two models. Is there much different between the two models? At the moment the cheaper it is the better. The other problem is the PS3 slims can't play PS2 games. I have a few PS2 games that I play from time to time. I could live without the function of playing my PS2 games but I would rather not. I could by a PS2 as well which are cheap around but this could be around £40 on top of something I am barley able to afford anyway. Instead, though, I could buy and old PS3 fat which range from £42 to £120 but the likelihood of these breaking is much higher and at those prices there is the same risk as if I was going to get it fixed.
I may be over thinking things but either option can be quite costly. I know I will get my situation sorted out eventually. I just wished it was as easy as it was to replace my PS2 when that broke. I want to take the financial plunge but which option is really the best?