Next Gen is almost here but before we move on to the next one lets recap gaming's awesome accomplishments this gen. This is the stuff that made MS, Sony and Nintendo who they are today.
In no particular order.
1. In the beginning there was light...a red light. Remember when the Xbox 360 came out? Yeah.. that. It was a mess, the red ring of death was like a plague killing gamer's consoles like mike tyson murdered no-name boxers in the ring. And lets not even get into the scratched disks and YLOD thing. What happened? Greatly better designed consoles, new xbox machines look downright sexy nowadays, are greatly reliable and console manufacturer's go to greater lengths than before to keep you playing on their machines.
2. Xbox Live shows how you really make an online service. Let's face it guys, when xbox live came out it changed the gaming landscape, no gaming service out there made you feel as connected before Live did. PSN is a beast of a service "especially PS+" because of Xbox live. Xbox came with a mic, "the most basic and one of the most meaningful things" that would connect you to gamers in every game you played online. Thanks Microsoft!
3. Sony shows the world what next gen hardware needs to have. HDMI connectivity? Check. Wi-fi? Check. Blu-Ray? Yup that one too. The Microsoft Team just had to include some of this stuff later with add-ons but seriously... just add that in the system dude. And they did.
4. Nintendo brought in the whole family to play with you. Yup, you can say you hate casual games a thousand times but really, how could you hate seeing the whole family go crazy dancing on your living room having fun with those crazy games. Almost my whole block came home to shake it when I got a kinect. Nintendo started this trend.
5.The PC is Dead!!! The PC is Dead!!! The PC is....ouch, no wait, it's not dead. PC got back on his feet and now is back on the streets after taking 2 bullets in the chest and is out for revenge, thanks in part because of great services like STEAM. Who would of thought a no-brainer idea like downloading your games through your own PC which can download stuff would work. Go figure.
6. Call of Duty breaks worldwide sales records left and right. Possibly up and down too. Gaming's such a niche hobby.. NOT! Sequel after sequel sales get owned and gamers are happy. The movie industry gets showed who's the new kid in town (at least for a bit) when this tittle drops. Haters are gonna hate (that's what they do though right?) but most COD heads just want to play more Call of Duty duH!!
7. Indie Games!!!! Xbox live Arcade and now PSN have benefited from great relationships with indie devs. Such Gems like Braid and Journey are some of the most memorable in a long time of gaming.
8. Downloadble Content. Some of the most awesome stuff played out there didn't even come in the game you bought, that's crazy. Now of course there are a few knucklehead companies out there who can't get this right to save their own lives, but for the one's that do we got some awesome gameplay out of it at a reasonable price.
9. Mobile Gaming survives mobile phones. The ds shattered sales records. The PSP? Survived being the most hacked system ever and sold like what 70 million? Yup. The 3ds is kicking but right now and the PS Vita is coming back around because well... lets be honest, the thing is just the best gaming portable ever made. Period. Keyboard critics go type your hearts out right now.. go ahead.. start with the no-games stint, that one's always a laugh for vita owners.
10. This was the best generation because you most likely have like the biggest backlog of freaking games you've ever had in you whole life that you haven't even STARTED playing. There are so many good games on so many consoles with so much content that this gen feels like arriving at a party as a guy and there is a 20 girls for each guy that comes in. And they all wanna dance. I wonder wtf we complain about most of the time. Some people will say there isn't much to play right now but really, they are just the type of idiots you can place in the middle the most awesome place in the coolest city and say shit like: "There's nothing to do here".
We gamers have survived, changed, argued and most importantly played a generation of gaming that has defined what gaming will be like for a long time. Now put on that red banana on your forehead son because the next one will be a war, lets hope our wallets survive.