Submitted by GamersXTREME 806d ago | opinion piece

Top 10 First-Person Shooters of All Time

First Person Shooters are one of the most beloved, yet over-saturated genres currently in the gaming industry. While there are a lot of great ones out there, there are an exceptional bunch that stand out over the others. (BioShock, GameCube, Half-Life 2, PC, PS2, PS3, Resistance: Fall of Man, Retro, Timesplitters 2, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas, Xbox, Xbox 360)

« 1 2 »
supraking951  +   806d ago
couldn't have picked a better #1 :D OMG Crytek make Timesplitters 4 already!!!!
spicelicka  +   806d ago
Although timesplitters definately should be up there, this HAS to be a F***** JOKE.

There's no HALO, it just blows my mine that there's resistance but not a single halo? I would put all of the first three halos up there but for not saturating the list, at least halo 1 should be there.

This seems like a total fanboy list. Even if you hate halo with your guts you have to be completely ignorant to not put it among the best FPS games.
#1.1 (Edited 806d ago ) | Agree(26) | Disagree(39) | Report | Reply
cone   806d ago | Spam
DeadSpaced  +   806d ago
You honestly seem like a fanboy. You're praising Halo (Xbox exclusive) and bashing Resistance (Sony exclusive).

Now, if you gave reasons why you feel that way, I would be perfectly fine with it.
Drake117  +   806d ago
I think that Killzone 2,3, Halo 1,2,3,Reach, and maybe even Counter strike or Unreal tournament, were more deserving of being on that list over resistance, Rainbow six vegas, and Turok 2.
#1.1.3 (Edited 806d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(15) | Report
Fez  +   806d ago
The writer does say it's a personal list so maybe he just doesn't like Halo or has never played it. I wouldn't have Halo in my top list cos I've never finished any of the stories.

Played Halo 2 multiplayer all the time with friends and loved it and then got Halo 1 on PC but didn't enjoy the singleplayer. So I'm just not in a position to put it in my top 10.

I understand why its a great series and why so many people would have it number 1 though.

Edit: actually thinking about it, Halo 2 would probably sneak into my list cos I had a blast playing that with friends!
#1.1.4 (Edited 806d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report
jthamind  +   806d ago
Resistance being better than DOOM and, more importantly, Half-Life 2? is this guy fucking stupid? Resistance isn't even the best shooter on PS3. and no Halo, wtf?
#1.1.5 (Edited 806d ago ) | Agree(15) | Disagree(9) | Report
liquidhalos  +   806d ago
Yeah Halo should be in there just as much as resistance should. Gameplay aside both of those games have rocked the console boat and caused millions of heated debates between fans which is what its all about. Getting the community talking this much for so long shows how great these games are.
BattleAxe  +   806d ago
Resistance, CoD4, Bioshock and Rainbow six Vegas are the most deserving titles on that list. Half Life 2 is still one of the most overrated games this generation and I still don't see why a small minority of people think its one of the best FPS games of all time. People mention HL2 and story telling in the same sentence which is an oxymoron since HL2 has absolutely no story telling in it. Its took me 17 hours to beat HL2 which was one of the most boring games I have ever played. The only reason I finished the game was to shut up one of my friends who kept saying it was the best thing ever, and now I can say that having played the game myself, its boring as hell.

I would have included Bad Company 1 and/or 2 in the list, Killzone 2 and/or 3, FEAR 1, CoD: WaW, FAR CRY 2 and Rainbow Six Vegas 2. To include a game like DOOM 2 is a bit ridiculous as so many games in the past 10 years have surpassed that crap by light years. Halo is really a mediocre franchise. If the Halo hardcore that think this game is the best ever were to actually play something else, then I think their collective consciousness would expand into a different dimension and create world peace and solve the world hunger issues facing us today.
spicelicka  +   806d ago
I singled out resistance on the list, not because it's a sony exclusive but because it's the closest to halo in terms of gameplay and the type of game it is, not to mention how much it borrowed from halo (which isn't a bad thing).

That's why i also mentioned timesplitters because it's a lot like halo. Regardless of where i would put halo on there, i was giving the list the benefit of doubt by splitting these games into separate niches in the FPS genre.

Half life is story driven, bioshock is like an rpg, rainbowsix and call of duty are realistic military shooters (in a sense), and the rest of the games are qualified as "old school" so i didn't want to compare them to halo.

That's why i picked the game most comparable to it, which is resistance. I've played both resistance and halo and i own both consoles so don't give me that fanboy crap. Resistance is a great great game and i have no problem with it being on the list, but it's "top 10 FPS of all time" and anyone with common sense should be able to conclude halo should be up there as well, if resistance can make it on there.

Change the list to "my 10 favourite FPS games" and everything will be back to normal, cuz this is bullshit right now.
#1.1.8 (Edited 806d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(5) | Report
MassRunner  +   806d ago
This article is bullshit if Metroid Prime is not in the list and Half-life 2 is not near the first positions. Also, I would include Crysis.
otherZinc  +   806d ago
Agreed!

I LMAO at this list, especially when I saw Resistance. This must be comedy.

The author is obviously in special ed. classes.

This stupidity has made my day...now we know of another site to omit from the trusted list.
EeJLP-  +   806d ago
R:FoM was a beast.. only 6th on this list, but plenty deserving of the cover pic.

I'd remove R6V and probably Doom 64 and Turok 2 for a Bad Company (love the characters), Halo, and a Killzone. I also don't agree on the order of the list, but overall not too horrible. Better than a lot of other Top 10s.

Edit: People below saying Portal. Portal is a great franchise, but you're not really shooting anyone. It's a puzzle game.
#1.1.11 (Edited 806d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report
ginsunuva  +   805d ago
Resistance Fall of Man had one of the best SP and MP of all time!

It is right up there with the first two halos and such.
mewhy32  +   805d ago
Halo Reach, Killzone 3, Should have definately been on that list.
WeskerChildReborned  +   806d ago
Timesplitters was my favorite FPS of last gen.
KeiserSosay4788  +   806d ago
Counter-Strike deserves to be above most of these. UNBELIEVABLE...
clearelite  +   806d ago
Yes, counter strike was and still is just amazing.
darkride66  +   806d ago
Here's some quick thoughts.

Never did care for Rainbow Six Vegas. Bored me to tears and I never did get that far into it for that reason. That and the series just took such a far turn from the tactile shooter it used to be. The arcade shooter Vegas became really didn't do anything that hadn't been done before.

Resistance I get being on there. The WWII shooter with a sci-fi twist gave us great, new weapons we hadn't seen before and I cool infusion of historical shooter and evil alien killing, plus the split screen co-op made it stand out.

Perfect Dark. Ugh! And I upgraded my N64 for that ridiculous game. At the time I was playing Counter Strike and loving it and I'll never get what people saw in this game. Boring, repetitive, uninspired weapons. I tried to like this game, I really did. Even bought the second but in the end just couldn't do it. There was just nothing to hook me into these games compared to the excellent FPS games that were available on the PC at the time.

Never understood the appeal of TimeSplitters 2 either. Rented it. Played it for maybe a couple of hours. Tried some multiplayer. Never played it again. Again, I really don't know what made this game special.

Now as for Halo, I loved Halo. I would have put it on this list but I can understand it not being on here. Halo was the first, massively popular console shooter but did it really do anything new that FPS gamers hadn't seen before? Games like Unreal had already done this type of sci-fi shooter action already and everyone was playing Counter Strike and Quake 3. Halo was a good FPS game, it was just on consoles. That was really the only thing that made it stand out, and from that it gained a following.

And please don't tell me Reach should be on this list. There was nothing about that game that deserved to be in a top games list for the year, let alone for all time. What a joke that game was. Bungie clearly phoned in that lackluster, run from point a to point b uninspired mess of a game. Oh, here's something we've never seen before. An alien equivalent to a shotgun. And in the end, rather than have the player feel a sense of accomplishment, we're going to kill every faceless character, then kick you in the nuts and say "Hey! It all worked out in the end, didn't it?" I have no idea how anyone who've played games longer than 2 years can defend that game.

Borderlands should be on here somewhere. Killzone 2, not so much. Fun, but not "Best of all time" fun. Just my two cents.
#1.4 (Edited 806d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(10) | Report | Reply
EeJLP-  +   806d ago
You made some good points, but I disagreed because you said Borderlands should be on the list.
Rampaged Death  +   806d ago
Nice to see Rainbow Six Vegas getting recognition. Don't agree with Resistance 1 on the list. I found it bland and okay at best. As much as I don't like it, Halo should be on the list.
#2 (Edited 806d ago ) | Agree(17) | Disagree(11) | Report | Reply
coolbeans  +   806d ago
Yeah, Rainbow Six: Vegas is still my favorite FPS of this generation (it's close with a few others). I don't know about the 'gripping story' part mentioned in the list though :/.
#2.1 (Edited 806d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Rampaged Death  +   806d ago
The story was nothing special. It was the multiplayer that was so great.
EeJLP-  +   806d ago
R:FoM's story telling and multiplayer (besides a couple unbalanced weapons in Ranked) were excellent.
jjdoyle  +   806d ago
I need to add Rainbow Six Vegas to my FPS list, I've heard lots of great things about it.
Jasko45  +   806d ago
Meet me in the vent, facility, 2 o'clock sharp.
dangert12  +   806d ago
Shocking how on earth did, Killzone 2 and Halo CE not make It? though I can agree with some that are on there my personal list would go

1 Golden Eye N64 & Killzone 2(Joint First)
2 Halo Combat Evolved
3 Massive Action Game...(when you can get a game lol)
4 Time Splitters 2
5 Red Steel (Say what you want I loved It)
6 Halo 3 (Online strictly)
7 Battlefield Bad Company
8 Bioshock
9 CoD WAW
10 Fear...

Yes theirs alot of FPS I've missed out on even recent ones but those I've listed I've enjoyed and after join first their just In any random order with numbers down the side you can Ignore lol

@tentonsoftube
How could I forget unreal tournament!! that game WOW
#4 (Edited 806d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(12) | Report | Reply
cone   806d ago | Spam
JsonHenry  +   806d ago
Doom, Half Life, and Duke Nukem 3D. In that order from #1-#3 would have been my choices. But I am probably a little older than the author so..
Shinuz  +   806d ago
Agreed on your choice of games and i would personally add Crysis as well, its definitely one of my favorite fps of all time.
NastyLeftHook0  +   806d ago
far cry

battlefield 3

bad company 2

modern warfare
#6 (Edited 806d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(14) | Report | Reply
Moncole  +   806d ago
Portal 2 isn't an FPS. Its a puzzle adventure game.
dangert12  +   806d ago
you still shoot in first person
cone   806d ago | Spam

5, Crysis 2
4, Unreal Tournament 2k4
3, Quake 3
2, Half-Life 2
1, Deus Ex
aviator189  +   806d ago
Well, CoD 4 was an excellent and probably one of the best entries in the series, so I'm not going to argue with that choice.
A-Glorious-Dawn  +   806d ago
I like this list Turok 2 was stunning I remember it so well.

That said I think Killzone2 deserves to be on here.
Styxoric  +   806d ago
Laughable. But whatever.
ritsuka666  +   806d ago
Yeha, Resistence in this list is just laugable. lmao
#10.1 (Edited 806d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
_Aarix_  +   805d ago
Wouldnt be as bad if cod was replaced with halo.
ACBAA  +   806d ago
the list is totally based on nostalgia
STK026  +   806d ago
Rainbow Six Vegas? I liked the game, but it had nothing on the original Rainbow Six series.
Resistance Fall of Man? I don't know how this game can be put in such a list, maybe one of the better FPS of this generation, but definately not of all time.
No Halo at all? Not a big fan of the series, but I know Combat Evolved should be somewhere on such a list.
What about Duke Nukem 3D? Or Deus Ex for that matter. Shouldn't System Shock 2 be on such a list? And no Battlefield at all?
And while I did like Turok 2 back in the days, how did that game make it so far in this list, while the original Half-Life is nowhere to be found?

I know this list is likely based on the opinion of the author, it seems he is missing some of the greatest and most influential FPS in his list.
Pintheshadows  +   806d ago
I miss R6 games like Rogue Spear with the meticulous planning stage. You could spend hours planning.

As far as FPS games go,
Half Life 2, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Unreal Tournament, Painkiller, Q3, Stalker, Jedi Knight, Elite Force, Project IGI.

Doom shouldn't be on these lists as I consider it a hall of famer. It just doesn't need to be said.

Quake 2 should be on more of these lists.
#12.1 (Edited 806d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
radewagon  +   806d ago
It was a good list until the top 3. Three games by basically the same dev team? Only one of which probably should have been on that list.
OldSnakePS3  +   806d ago
my fav fps by far is perfect dark on the n64
bioshock is prolly my 2nd fav
#14 (Edited 806d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Razgriz383  +   806d ago
The list was completely fair imo
Suprised Halo didn't make it though
Hicken  +   806d ago
Agreed. Kinda sad to not see Killzone, myself, but I can't really argue with what's there, either.
ritsuka666  +   806d ago
Killzone not deserve be in this list,Anyway, Perfect Dark are best FPS all times.
shodan74  +   806d ago
Well, this writer sure does love their N64! ;)

Definitely agree with BioShock, GoldenEye, and Half-Life 2, but I'd say the original Doom, Quake and System Shock 2 should be in there somewhere as well.
#16 (Edited 806d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
GamingPerson  +   806d ago
GoldenEYE 64
Battlefield 2
Counter Strike 1.6
Half life 2 & Ep 2
Farcry 1
Fear 1
Cod4
Bioskock 1
Team Fortess 2(one of a kind game)
Left4dead 1 & 2. (nothing like it)
BC2
BF3 for me.
Resistance 1
Portal 2?
Not fps but Socom was great bad in the ps2 days.
#17 (Edited 806d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Hufandpuf  +   805d ago
1. COD4
2. Half Life
3. Bioshock
4. Halo
5. Counter Strike Source

Honorable mention
team fortress 2
Goldeneye
Time splinters
Battlefield 2
Zha1tan  +   806d ago
Rainbow six vegas? WTF?!? Have these people even played a proper rainbow 6 game? i.e Rainbow six Raven Shield.

what is the sweet god is resistance doing below half life 2? just no....sorry no.
Zha1tan  +   805d ago
LOL @ PS3 fan girls thinking resistance is better than half life.......
edonus  +   806d ago
No Halo(any of them)? insta-fail

Also no Portal, Killzone2, Left4dead? complete failure.
TenkoTAiLS  +   806d ago
No Doom? The father of FPS gaming, the reason the genre exists, the cult phenomenon. This list is automatic fail. Should have been a "best FPS games this gen with a few others thrown in" or a "best FPS in the last 10 years" or something list. Best FPS of all time list this is not.
Hufandpuf  +   805d ago
How can the FIRST FPS be the BEST? DOOM just gets kudos points for being the father of FPS but you can't tell me I'll have a better time playing DOOM than Bioshock.
aviator189  +   806d ago
Killzone 2 and Halo CE should have definitely made that list.
Bobby Kotex  +   806d ago
I would add Quake 3 Arena and Tribes to that list.
zeddy  +   806d ago
half life 1&2. proper fps's no bullsh*t.
Cajun Chicken  +   806d ago
Credit to mentioning Doom 64! That game'a badass.
StayStatic  +   806d ago
I feel like i'm being trolled reading that list , okay:

1. Half-Life 2 + Episode 1 - 2
6.Valve game
7.Valve game
8.Valve game
9.Valve game
10.Valve game
iliimaster  +   806d ago
glad to see 007 and resistance get some love ! halo should be in that mix just like COD but other than that nice read
smashcrashbash  +   806d ago
Typical. Just because the person doesn't put what you think is on the list people decide to take this chance to diss Resistance. Resistance was a solid shooter despite what fanboys think.Resistance gets hated for no reason at all. Insomniac made awesome weapons, cool scenario and a deadly frightening enemy and people just dump all over them all the time.I suppose you would have preferred he slobber all over Halo like people think everyone should.
Kahvipannu  +   806d ago
Hmmm.. it really wasn't that great, it was ok for a launch title. Ofcourse for some it might be one of the best fps (like the person making this list).. But the game was just ok.
smashcrashbash  +   806d ago
I am sorry that really didn't explain anything. What was wrong with Resistance compared to most shooters? I always listen to the speeches about Resistance being a bad shooter but no reasons are ever given. Aiming wasn't off, it had a smooth MP, the weapons were accurate and efficent, the enemy was deadly, the atmosphere was scary,the story was told well, a hell of a lot better then most shooters, they gave you vehicles to break up the shooter monotony, the health system wasn't simply hiding behind objects to heal your self, you had to actually be careful with your health, the enemies were varied, you could carry a ton of weapons with the weapon wheel.So every time I hear Resistance wasn't the best anything I really don't understand. What was so wrong about it?
Kahvipannu  +   805d ago
When you put it up like that, it does sound great, tought I did play some of it with my friend when PS3 came out, since he got it on launch. It really didn't grasp our interest that long. I don't know, it just felt.. generic, there really wasn't that much to keep us playing. It was just ok. The setting to me was "meh", generic at best.

Same thing as KillZone 3, second one I didn't play much, third one I borrowed couple months a go from my friend. I played it to the part where you were sneaking in the vertile planet, and I just had to stop, it was boring as hell. Multiplayer I didn't test, I tryed the beta tought, which was fun but at the time I was playing BC2's-mp, so it took my time.

Or CoD's MW's campaigns, boring. I just prefer fps to have something more going on in it, or any good hook that it perfects, and R just didn't have one.
Xenomorph  +   806d ago
While I'm a little sad that Killzone didn't replace Resistance, the list actually surprised me. I was like "Not bad not bad" as soon as I saw Perfect Dark up there. Still, there needs to be like a top 15 to have everyone be happy with the choices.

PS: Halo is over rated
Kahvipannu  +   805d ago
Killzone? Really? What is so special about that game... I couldn't finish the game since it was so linear/scripted/boring, this gens shooters have been nothing but "best of all time" with few exceptions, like Bioshock or Deus Ex 3, or Halo's, had to mention that since it's over-rated.
Xenomorph  +   803d ago
Anyone that has played Killzone 2 knows that its multiplayer is one of the best around, and also had a difficult learning curve. You had to be actually good at that game to play it.

As for the story, it's a little sub-par "space marine" syndrome, but it actually does "gritty sci-fi" better than most games.
pbasson  +   806d ago
From all the 1000+ games that have been released over 3 decades. People think you can pick 10 all time. Hell most of games in these lists are usually current gen games.
Kahvipannu  +   806d ago
Personally I would had preferred older Rainbow Six games over LV, or putted original Operation FlashPoint there, or REd Orchestra, CoD 1 or 2 over any current MW ones, Halo's have been topnotch every time, System Shock maybe, not including Deus Ex is a sin, or maybe DE 3... Original Duke Nukem anyone? Quake? Swat 3? Any Battlefield title? Half-life 1? Portal? The list goes on and on...

I know it's a list of someone's opinion, and it's obvious he has only played console games since there is only them, but generally putting a list like that and calling it best of all time, and putting games like Resistance there (really?), TS 2 (which was great tought, but still), or MW1, over DE, OFP, or others, just sounds silly to me..
#30 (Edited 806d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
« 1 2 »

The Last Tinker: City of Colors review | Gamin' Girl

5m ago - The Last Tinker: City of Colors is Mimimi Productions’ first venture onto PCs after several foray... | PC

Sex Sells…and We’re ALL Buying

6m ago - CCC Says: "The world’s oldest occupation doesn’t revolve around sexuality for nothing! Let’s f... | Culture

Korean girl group A-Pink melt gamers with their cuteness for 'Legion of Heroes' commercial

11m ago - Korean girl group A-Pink are the newest models for 'Legion of Heroes' game for Kakaotalk and the... | iPhone

Assassin's Creed Unity Embraces RPG Features; New Lady Assassin and Game Size Revealed

11m ago - GameVerb writes: Brand new details about Assassin’s Creed Unity reveal new RPG features, possible... | PC

Study Game Design at DeVry

Your 3DS play time totals may surprise you

24m ago - From the article, "The 3DS is over three years old now, and has settled into a comfortable niche.... | 3DS