Submitted by Relientk77 905d ago | article

Sony: Core PSN Gamers Are 'More Adult'

Jack Buser and TGC's Jenova Chen define the PS3 audience. (Flower, Heavy Rain , Jack Buser, Jenova Chen, Journey, PS3, Sony)

Alternative Sources
Hufandpuf  +   905d ago
They aren't lying. A PS3 is the last thing I'd get for my kids. I categorize each console according to audience:

PS3 - Teens to adults
Wii - Children to teens
Xbox 360 - Children to Adults
Shadow Flare  +   905d ago
LittleBigPlanet 2

It's one of the few games I know which genuinely encompasses people of all ages equally. Children love playing the levels and community levels and having a go at creating their own levels. And adults can really get stuck into LBP2 and build some of the most fantastically complex levels that involve really smart uses of logic, basic programming and overall design and art styles.

For adults, its a fantastic creative outlet to actually build games and for kids, it's one of the best kids games on the market.

Well I'm an adult now, and I play it non stop
#1.1 (Edited 905d ago ) | Agree(64) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
LOGICWINS  +   905d ago
Sounds like a great game. Might considering buying it. It probably works really well with Move too.
Shadow Flare  +   905d ago
You can make your own games in LBP2 with the Move. Sony may not be supporting move much but with LBP2 you can create your own games for it, which is pretty cool.

There are so many games out there which have a tired formula but LBP2 for me is the freshest game for years.

If you're willing to put the time, creativity and effort into creating levels, this game can be so enjoyable. It's basically gaming equivalent of YouTube. Create a game and publish it for others to play. I absolutely love that concept.
Bathyj  +   905d ago
LBP 2 is probably the most hardcore game I've ever played.

Sure, not if you want to just play through the levels and collect bubbles, but if you want to create, it surely is. Thats part of the charm, the game works on so many levels.

I studied bi-pedal robotic movement trying to get a ED209 to actually walk under its own power and balance correctly. I actually designed it in autocad, plotting the radius of the arcs needed to get the right range of movement and then built it into LBP. It took me ages.

Seriously, if you've ever wanted to make your own game (and who here hasn't?), have any interest at all in design or construction, then LBP doesn't have any peers.

My personal favourite this gen, possibly ever.
Army_of_Darkness  +   905d ago
I would not get my kids a PS3 simply because it's too expensive to have it treated like a Toy.... A 360 or wii, I wouldn't mind, since they are much cheaper and easier to afford or replace...
and as long as they play my PS3 under my supervision, I wouldn't mind that either.
Raoh  +   905d ago
I actually find LBP to be a bit too hard for the general public.

It seems easy and fun to me but I can see non gamers/casuals getting frustrated.
Denethor_II  +   905d ago
"When I was a kid, I always wanted to make my own game. That's why for me LBP2 is one of the best games this generation. If I'd had this game when I was a kid, I'd have played it non-stop. "

Couldn't agree more. I remember using a cheat code that was like a console command on sonic 3 where you could create things from the level.

I think LBP for the Vita will be awesome, can't wait.
inveni0  +   904d ago
PS3 games are, in my opinion, more artistic overall. There's more poured into them on a technical standpoint, and games like Journey and Uncharted 3 put storytelling on a whole new pedestal. For that reason, I let my children play any game that showcases these points, not just LBP2. Games that are gratuitous for the sake of gratuity? No. But art is art is art, and people of all races, sexual designation, age, sexual orientation and creed should have the opportunity to experience the new direction of Video Games.

They're not just games anymore. And I think that's what Sony is trying to say.
#1.1.7 (Edited 904d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(4) | Report
LOGICWINS  +   905d ago
Modnation Racers, Eyepet, LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4,LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars, Little Big Planet, Little Big Planet 2, Toy Story, Tales of Monkey Island, Disney Universe, Rayman Origins, Sly Cooper, PS Move Heroes, Rachet and Clank: A Crack in Time, Skylander's Spyro, Sonic Generations, Rachet and Clank: All for One, LEGO Batman, Lego Indiana Jones, Wall-E, Disney's Bolt, Madagascar 2, Cars, Surf's Up, Up, Monster's vs. Aliens, Ice Age, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Kung Fu Panda etc.

The PS3 appeals to kids too. If I had kids, I'd get one for them...along with Move.
#1.2 (Edited 905d ago ) | Agree(23) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
smashcrashbash  +   905d ago
A lot of those games are multi-platform or not exactly for kids. Sly and Ratchet for instance themes are a little to mature for children. I don't think Bentley being crippled or Ratchet being shot in the chest or Sly being sucked dry by mosquitoes is kid friendly gaming.
LOGICWINS  +   905d ago
The Iron Man movies have plenty of sexual innuedos and The Dark Knight hinted at several dark moments of violence.

I bet plenty of kids saw these films and didn't have a problem with it. Don't know when you were born, you might be a little too old fashioned, but kids these days can handle mature themes.

EDIT: Btw, whats your point by mentioning that these games are multiplatform??? They are on the PS3, therefore they are PS3 games..hence they are PS3 games that can be played by children.
#1.2.2 (Edited 905d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(11) | Report
TheColbertinator  +   905d ago
@LOGICWINS

"Btw, whats your point by mentioning that these games are multiplatform??? They are on the PS3, therefore they are PS3 games..hence they are PS3 games that can be played by children."

Hence why this article is referring to core PSN gamers not the casual build that make up the Wii or the 360 Kinect audience.I appreciate Sony highlighting they stand behind its core gamers unlike Microsoft and Sony.

However its pointless to me since I hate most Sony games and Sony itself.The only console maker I respect is Nintendo but they along with Microsoft post-2009 have little interest in adult core gamers such as myself.
Hicken  +   905d ago
@LOGICWINS
I doubt you'll get it, but here goes:

When people talk about the demographic a console is aimed at, they talk about who the console manufacturer AIMS the console at. Who are the commercials aimed at? Who are the exclusives and features aimed at?

For the PS3, that focus is definitively on the core gaming segment, which tends to be more mature than not. Therefore, Sony's core gamers are more mature than not. That doesn't mean there aren't any immature people playing core games, and it doesn't mean that there aren't any kid or family friendly offerings. It means that the CORE of Sony's gaming audience is from the CORE of gaming.

Yes, LBP and other games can be considered to be for kids, but there's also a great deal of depth for adults, as outlined above. And multiplat games for kids doesn't at all reflect Sony's intentions for the PS3.

SOME kids can handle mature themes. Many of them can't. Most of them don't even get it, which is usually the case.
SilentNegotiator  +   905d ago
But still, its core audience is older than the other 2 systems on average, even if it HAS stuff to appeal to young audiences.
PirateThom  +   905d ago
I wouldn't get Rayman Origins, Sly Cooper, Monkey Island or, really, Ratchet and Clank for kids.

They'll just get frustrated. They may enjoy the colours, but lack the patience.
Outside_ofthe_Box  +   905d ago
They are talking about PSN gamers not PS3 gamers as a whole.
LOGICWINS  +   905d ago
"They are talking about PSN gamers not PS3 gamers as a whole."

Thank you Mr. Information..I was referring to Hufandpuf's comment, not the article.
Outside_ofthe_Box  +   905d ago
Did I reply to you?

I was replying to Hufandpuf's comment as well.

What you said is true, which is why I didn't reply to you. The PS3 tries to appeal to kids as well.
cpayne93  +   905d ago
Hey logic you never responded to my comment about your reading comprehension. Why didn't you respond? I would like for you to tell me how you were right and I was wrong.

Now I don't know if this is a problem with reading comprehension or if you just looked at his comment and thought it was under yours...

But whatever. I do actually agree with you that the ps3 does have plenty of family friendly games.
Drainage  +   905d ago
nah , more adults probably own a WII than teens. most teens are 'too cool' for nintendo until they turn 20
#1.4 (Edited 905d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
Outside_ofthe_Box  +   905d ago
You might be right. A lot of old people own a Wii which could skew the adult numbers in favor of the Wii.
Ducky  +   905d ago
I'd let kids plays Journey and Flower.
Don't see what's mature about that, and why you have to be an 'adult' to appreciate artistic games.
#1.5 (Edited 905d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Neckbear   905d ago | Immature | show
suicidalblues  +   905d ago
you'd let them, but that doesn't mean they'd want to. I think the maturity they're referring to is the appreciation of these games over the typical fragfest games that are in abundance lately.
Shadowstar  +   905d ago
"PlayStation 3 is a big meal that you have once a year, the 360 is a special meal that you have on weekends, and Wii is an everyday meal."

What Kojima says goes.
F7U12  +   905d ago
"They aren't lying. A PS3 is the last thing I'd get for my kids."

hahhaha well played hufandpuf, well played. lol
#1.7 (Edited 905d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
dark-hollow  +   905d ago
the terms "core", "casual" and "hardcore has been thrown around here too much that they lost their meanings.
Relientk77  +   905d ago
Interesting, I wont disagree with it, cuz its a matter of opinion, but thats an interesting assumption nonetheless
karademo   905d ago | Spam
NastyLeftHook0  +   905d ago
true, all of my friends have ps3's, i think my sons nephew who is 12 has a 360.
WrAiTh Sp3cTr3  +   905d ago
Interesting.
#3.1 (Edited 905d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
Relientk77  +   905d ago
In terms of consoles, honestly my friends are all over the place. 3DS, PS3, Wii, 360, etc lol
Lavalamp  +   905d ago
Well I do get to sit at the adult's table at dinner parties now.
IHateYouFanboys   905d ago | Trolling | show | Replies(3)
Apocalypse Shadow  +   905d ago
isn't it obvious?

the ps3 gamer waited for a console that had everything built in and not the nickel and dime model.sony knew the sony gamer had jobs to save up for a console that to this day,still does more than the multiple times redesigned competitor.

sony gamers supported hard working companies that built great next gen engines and not third party hand me down engines.they wanted more sophisticated games that told deep stories.they support artistic endeavors like flow,flower,journey,heavy rain,etc.

sony gamers supported sony on bluray because it was made for next gen content and not the insane new standard of DLC.which we all know would fit on a bluray.they are willing to wait instead of yearly update games from third parties.they can't stand children screaming on the other end of mics or chit chatting from separate games.

it would not be elitist to say ps3 gamers are mostly adults.
OldSnakePS3  +   904d ago
^this right here^
Septic  +   904d ago
I'm sorry but that really sounds like a cheesy fanboyish way of putting things.

It can also be said that the PS3 by design was unimaginative. Sony went down the 'let's throw everything at it' route so you have an intricate yet difficult to work with Cell processor, you have a blu ray player etc but where was there any real thought about a gaming interface. Compare it to the 360 which for

1) had a controller that felt sculpted to fit your hands and was designed with some thought as opposed to a mere copy of its previous iteration with a desperate last minute poor attempt at copying Nintendo that was Sixaxis controller whilst neglecting dual shock (later changed)

2) Lacklustre online interface- it was and arguably still is quite draconian in nature when compared to the 360. Whereas the 360 has undergone several changes, the PS3s rather unimaginative XMB remains the same. The 360 interface is far more integral to its online features.

Microsoft had the foresight to dedicate some RAM to the interface functions which made key features like cross game chat and the like to work properly. What about achievements? That was a genius addition (although one I don't care for personally). Sony again copied it with Trophies.

3) General interface: Can you play your music during the game? How about appearing offline before you sign in? Just go to the last blade at any time and change your status. Wanna hear your friends talk from the tv and headset? Easy, go to settings. Wanna turn off notifications at any time? Easy? Gamer profiles actually mean something with Live. Not to mention everything is more intuitive and fast.

Sony's approach to the PS3 was very blunt and unimaginative in comparison to the 360. Mandatory installs? Downloading a demo then installing it? Updates that take 10 minutes or more to download THEN install? This is going beyond what a games console is supposed to be like and more towards the headaches associated with PC gaming.

Respect goes out to Microsoft for thinking outside the box and actually thinking about it more dynamically. Still, both companies have their strengths and weaknesses. The PS3 did get things right though; a HDD as standard (MS really dropped the ball on this one), built in WiFi and a more stable system.

I don't think your comments supporting developers and blu ray are any good to warrant a response. Gamers will buy good games (and even then, as is argued here a lot, they didn't do that enough and they had no choice but to support Blu Ray! Your argument is very skewed and with no disrespect intended, purposely done so to try and desperately give credit where it isn't due.
#6.2 (Edited 904d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
ufo8mycat  +   905d ago
PS3 - adults and a mixture of 14-18 year olds
360 - adults with a bigger mixture of 14-18 year olds
Wii - kids and family
PC - mixture of nerds, fat people and 30yo virgins.
#7 (Edited 905d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(16) | Report | Reply
Skateboard  +   905d ago
My 10 year old cousin is a PS3 player, but he is very mature for his age and only plays M rated games that me and his father buy for him. The kid beat Silent Hill Homecoming without a guide, LOL.
TheDivine  +   905d ago
Steriotyping. On psn i hear just as much horrid language and whiny kids.

You could say 360 gamers are more mature because they play stuff like The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Mass Effect and other rpg's that sell a quarter the amount on ps3. 360 also has far more rts games and an equal amount of artsy stuff like limbo, braid, insanely twisted shadow planet, bastion, and fez.

You could say wii owners are more mature because they dont play shotters all day cursing at each other. Theyre oldschool gamers who like platformers, nostalgia, and rpgs like xenoblade an the last story. They prefer a smarter shooter like metroid prime not arcade shooters. They play classic survival horror like the resident evil remake not the shooterfest re5 that ps3 owners play.

You could say 360 owners are kids because of all the kinect games aimed at kids and families. Never mind the 60 million hardcore gamers who own 360's.

I love their games and they are appreciated on ps3. They wouldve been just as praised on 360 though because the games are good despite the store that sells it. People bough it on ps3 because thats the only platform for it. It might have sold more on 360, journey or flower on xbla summer sale and everyone wouldve gotten it. That sale singlehandedly made braid, bastion, and limbo successful.
#9 (Edited 905d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
jthamind  +   904d ago
well said. i think this makes the point best, that you can't pidgeonhole console owners just because of a few games on a certain console.
YodaCracker  +   904d ago
Well said. Bubbles up!
user5467007  +   905d ago
You can really imagine a kid playing on Journey and yelling "I'M A MAN...A BIG STRONG MAN", as his Fish Fingers and Smiley faces go cold on the table.
ChocolateGiddyUp  +   905d ago
"We're really a little more progressive with artistic, adult games that actually require the user to think."

Related video
#11 (Edited 905d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
ChunkyLover53  +   905d ago
This seems like something intended just to get arguments and invoke fanboyism. How can you prove one console has the more "adult" gamers? Its a crazy claim in my opinion. I don't care who said it.

Its an opinion, and will never be fact and in the end this statement will just have people arguing.
kneon  +   905d ago
Actually the demographics from a few years ago showed that the average PS3 owner was late 20's while the Xbox owners were mid to late teens. Now that was before the price cut, since then I expect the age gap has shrunk a bit but the PS3 still tends to be skewed towards an older audience.
SeekDev  +   905d ago
Well, a large portion of the core PS3 community may be adults, and these adults may prefer games like Journey. But I'm a core gamer, I'm only in my teens, and I strongly enjoy games deemed to be art. It's something I look for and they're often my top rated games.

It might be more accurate to say that PS3's (or PSN's) core audience is more mature, then it encompasses those teens like myself and those adult like, well, like those adults.
goldwyncq  +   905d ago
People should really stop generalizing here....... Every console has their own share of audiences, and age isn't one of the factors.
DFresh  +   905d ago
I would say it depends on the person.
Relientk77  +   905d ago
I agree everyone has their preferences
Relientk77  +   905d ago
The PSN has some awesome games though. I love Fat Princess, that game's a blast.
problemchild84  +   904d ago
I've always felt that the PS3 has the same target audience that Adult Swim has: 18-34 year olds.

The Level Up Show is a Show by Gamers on PlayStation, You Should Watch It

5m ago - Live from PlayStation has been a great platform for people who want to share and celebrate gaming... | PS4

New Valkyria Chronicles PC Screens and Details

11m ago - Today, Sega has revealed additional information regarding the PC port, including an official rele... | PC

Goodbye Ghosts - Call of Duty pros set for last war

14m ago - CoD stars compete in the final Ghosts tournament at ESWC this week, but will it be a fond farewell? | Xbox 360

Far Cry 4's multiplayer modes detailed by Ubisoft

20m ago - Neil writes "The 'Battles' of Kyrat' have been detailed by Ubisoft and all things point to seeing... | PC

Win Outlast and Whistleblower Codes!

Now - It's no trick, Outlast 2 is in the works - and to celebrate Red Barrels has given us Outlast and Whistleblower treats! | Promoted post

Let’s Play Halo: The Master Chief Collection – Halo 4: Infinity

25m ago - EB's Matt Heywood writes, "The final Let’s Play for Halo: The Master Chief Collection series of v... | Xbox One