Try our new beta! Click here
Submitted by shodan74 1347d ago | opinion piece

Anybody Else Bored Of Shooters?

"We appear to be drowning in an endless, stifling sea of FPS and TPS titles, but it’s not just the sheer prevalence of shooters that grinds. A bigger problem is how deeply generic and mired in convention they have become – to the point of utter cliche." (Battlefield 3, Call of Duty Series, Culture, Gears of War 3, Halo Series, PC, PS3, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, Xbox 360)

Relientk77  +   1347d ago
Yes, I am. I want variety in the games that are released, but this generation is like over 80% shooters
MaxXAttaxX  +   1347d ago
Meanwhile, I'm playing real shooters

Call me old-fashioned.
#1.1 (Edited 1347d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
F7U12  +   1347d ago
bad shooters, yes. good shooters, never.
VonBraunschweigg  +   1347d ago
Try the Starhawk beta on PSN if you want something new & non-generic. Beta ends next week, game launches early May. Very addictive.
Godmars290  +   1347d ago
And its still a shooter.

Been dying for a space strategy title - that doesn't have unnecessary physics or that stacking thing that Starcraft does.
#2.1 (Edited 1347d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
Pintheshadows  +   1347d ago
Homeworld. It has aged a little but if you want a top quality, space themed RTS that requires genuine thought then you cannot go wrong.

I still stand by my opinion that next to Total Annihilation (more real time anarchy perhaps) it's the best sci-fi themed RTS ever made (yes, including Starcraft).

The sequel is just as good.
Pintheshadows  +   1347d ago
I, personally, want more real time strategy and roleplaying games. I'd love to see a new Homeworld game.

I'm not adverse to shooters but more Bioshock Infinite and less modern war would be nice. Lets see some of that imagination developers. It's one thing everyone has afterall.
shodan74  +   1347d ago
My sentiments exactly. I'm looking forward to BioShock Infinite and Borderlands 2 because I know they won't simply be a linear procession of mindless gunfights with nothing to distinguish themselves from any other FPS. Your CODs and Battlefields etc. are increasingly devoid of any real creative thinking.
TrendyGamers  +   1347d ago
I can't wait for Bioshock Infinite.
Godmars290  +   1347d ago
Replying to above:

No offense to Homeworld, but I'd rater see something on a more arcade level. Something that's not real-time reliant in response time so I can sit back and watch. Something like Infinite Space on the DS.
Gran Touring  +   1347d ago
I don't mind the few good, traditional shooters, but I can't stand the plethora of sub-par shooting games released trying to "cash-in" on the market, when those same developers probably would make more money if they worked on 1) a genre/series of games they're already good at developing and 2) something original instead adding to an already stagnant market.
Ahasverus  +   1347d ago
From militaty modern ones? To death.
#5 (Edited 1347d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Baka-akaB  +   1347d ago
The only issue with shooters is that most are currently the same old military type , be it extremely hardcore and realistic , or painfully mainstream .

If current shooters meant an actual variety of stuff between more twich shooters , sci fi shooter , story oriented ones like Bioshock , and plenty more , it would be fine . Just like it was in the 90s , with no less shooters , but far more variety
Cajun Chicken  +   1347d ago
It was great playing the Jak games again not that long ago. Okay, you could argue that those are shooters too, especially the second two, but I loved the break of mini games throughout those, wherever it be arcade challenges, rail shooting or racing.

Maybe we need more games trying to blend genres than just BEING genres.
-MD-  +   1347d ago
Go buy Twisted Metal

It's a breath of fresh air.
LoaMcLoa  +   1347d ago
You deserve 10 bubbles for that comment!
LF91  +   1347d ago
I just purchased Twisted Metal yesterday and without a doubt its the most fun i've had in ages online, mostly because it's so different to what's on the market at the moment. And as you said its a breath of fresh air.
CommonSenseGamer  +   1347d ago
They have become stale and generic. Take away some of the fancy visuals and you still have nothing that provides much of a challenge. I thought AI would have advanced more than it did this console gen.
DARK WITNESS  +   1347d ago
My thoughts exactly. I don't think I have played anything that has made me think Wow when I see stuff the AI do.

Playing Halo CE puts the shame most of the AI in shooters this gen.
josephayal  +   1347d ago
I would never get bored of the CoD series
Blues Cowboy  +   1347d ago
We're not drowning in a sea of shooters. I haven't played a single one EXCEPT Mass Effect 3 since the start of 2012 - instead, I've been enjoying loads of great indie, strategy, experimental, role-playing and platforming games (many of which straddle different genres) - and I play games for at least 3 hours a day.

Oh, and for the record, I love shooters. Seriously, I actually MISS them, I've been so busy with other genres.

Since Quake, there have ALWAYS been loads of shooters. And there always will be. There's a demand that needs to be filled. But if you're bored of them, it's because you're too lazy to go and enjoy the wealth of other games that you won't find on the best seller lists. Get on Steam, Desura, Indievania, PSN, XBLA, and treat yourself to something new rather than complaining that a popular genre is popular.

EDIT: I'm not saying that there's any excuse for piss-poor shooters, mind.
#11 (Edited 1347d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
shodan74  +   1347d ago
I'm bored of shooters because the genre itself has become so generally stale and devoid of imagination. Yes, there are many other great types of games out there - and it's with those where I'll usually spend my gaming time - but I really do wish more shooters weren't such innane, creativity-free clones of one another. I actually used to enjoy the early Battlefields, Call Of Dutys etc. Now they've just become a procession of the same-old, same-old.
#11.1 (Edited 1347d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Pintheshadows  +   1347d ago
Since the original Call of Duty the entire first person shooter genre hasn't really moved forward from a gameplay perspective.

Admittedly there are reasons for that, the formula they discovered works, but it is sad to see that so many developers are trying to emulate rather than innovate.

I said above that imagination seems to have given way to an obsession with becoming the next Call of Duty. That's a dangerous path to walk on. I still see Call of Duty as a fad. Eventually something will draw attention from it and all that effort will have been misplaced.
Dlacy13g  +   1347d ago
No, I am not bored of "shooters" I am bored with the writing of the story lines and plots. Give me some fresh new characters and stories that aren't rinse and repeat. I love playing shooters... I am tired of playing the modern/future military shooter as its either "us against XYZ military machine" or "us against XYZ terrorist unit"
LightofDarkness  +   1347d ago
There are PLENTY of other games to play. I haven't played a shooter yet this year, barring one or two rounds of Battlefield 3. There are tonnes of games available to play that aren't shooters, so go play one. Apparently they need the help.

I've been playing a lot of RPG and adventure games, and I'm feeling like I could play a shooter next. We're just on different rhythms, guy.
#13 (Edited 1347d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
fullymoated  +   1347d ago
Thank you Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinite
NYC_Gamer  +   1347d ago
I'm bored of run and gun shooters.bring on the tactical shooters already.
Tdmd  +   1347d ago
I'm bored of first person shooters, but not of shooters in general. Third person are still very welcome in my book, and shooters like starhawk proves that there is still room for inovation in this genre.
TheColbertinator  +   1347d ago
FPS games are getting boring.However I do like shooter/RPG hybrids like Mass Effect 3.

This month I also got Tales of Graces F and Silent Hill HD Collection which are really good
kma2k  +   1347d ago
i have a rule of thumb i stick with for the most part to keep me from getting bored. I never play a samn genere game back to back. I have gamefly so its easy for me. I usually go RPG, Action, FPS/TPS. I do have to admit though i STRONGLY prefer TPS to FPS just because its more & more rare now a days!
_Aarix_  +   1347d ago
Wtf? Wheres killzone and resistance in the tags ( they didnt forget halo and gears -_-) also why would there be Marcus in the picture and not something from cod since its the mainstream shooter here.
#19 (Edited 1347d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
A LIVING LEGEND  +   1347d ago
The industry itself is bored to tears of shooters,fairly obvious.They aren't bored of counting money however.
I was asked the other day 'fave shooter this gen'?.... I thought for a sec....' Halo,Combat Evolved.'
Confusion,panic,disappointment spread across nearby faces 'blasphemy'!

Even the hardcore shooter crowd is wavering ever so slightly,the generic repetition of recent shooters is undeniable,unbearable even.I think some changes are coming,are due.
Awesome_Gamer  +   1347d ago
FPS? Yes, i'm bored to death
TPS? No, i love them
eak3  +   1344d ago
I can guarantee that when FPS style games stop making money they will stop making them. The article can say what it wants, but businesses are their for nothing more than profit. Shooters make boats of money, whether good or not. So you want something new get people to stop buying the latest cliche.

How Many Classes Should an MMO Have?

16m ago - Most online games use their various classes in an attempt to differentiate themselves from other... | Industry

Naruto Storm 4: Trailer 7, Demo Out on Japanese PSN

16m ago - Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 trailer 7 is here. | PC

US Movie Releases to Look Out For in November

Now - Remember, remember, the films of November! It’s the time of year when the nights draw in, the year winds down and studios line up their most presti... | Promoted post

10 Best Indie Games of 2015

19m ago - The Independent video games more widely known as indies are games created by small groups or many... | PS3

Does Take-Two even need another Grand Theft Auto?

20m ago - If you work in games retail, it will be hard to forget September 2013. Grand Theft Auto V laun... | PC

Rocket League X Portal? Yup That’s a Thing!

32m ago - Starting December 1st you can score some cool fluff for your rocket powered battle car just by pl... | PC