Top
250°

XBOX determined to be the cause of duplex fire

Longview Fire Department officials tell us, an Xbox in a closet of a duplex was left on and covered with clothes. It overheated and caught fire.

Damage is minimal to the outside of the building, but there is extensive smoke damage inside the duplex.

The family living there is now displaced, but fortuantely, no injuries were reported.

The story is too old to be commented.
lashes2ashes2247d ago

I hope you are joking. More like the idiots that left clothing on it when it was running should be sued.

BrianC62342247d ago

But there's no sticker on the Xbox that says don't leave it running in a closet with clothes on top of it. A jury will award them millions and Microsoft will have to put out a recall so stickers can be put on every 360. Just watch.

I'm kind of joking but kind of not. You never know anymore.

sikbeta2247d ago (Edited 2247d ago )

@crazypicklemonkey

How is MS fault? you don't know what happened in that house or why it happened, not that they can sue MS and get away with it, forget it, not gonna happen....

gypsygib2247d ago (Edited 2247d ago )

It's not a toaster, MS defense force are ridiculous.

You know what 99% of consumer electronics do when they overheat????

TURN OFF!

Not catch on fire, irrespective of whether a t-shirts on them or not.

Gamer30002247d ago

well, no one told them when they where buying the xbox
that it's a f....g toaster as well

SuicidalTendencies2247d ago

@gypsygib

The 360 does shut off when it overheats. That's what 2 flashing red lights mean.

hellvaguy2247d ago

Actually ms cannot be sued here because of the negligent use of this product. Xbox does have a warning label on stating to not cover the exhaust vents.

Additionally, we could be dealing with a console that is 6-7 years old and electronic equipment such as heat shut-off safety devices will all fail in time (its a matter of when, not if). I work on furnaces for a living and heat sensors and flame roll out safety switches definitely do stop working and need to be replaced on occation.

dcbronco2247d ago

Probably some kid playing games when he wasn't supposed to be and hid the 360 when his parents were coming to his room. Not sure how Microsoft gets blamed for that. But it seems that anything can happen in the mind of a fanboy.

BattleAxe2247d ago

No surprise really, we've seen this countless times from this console.

shoddy2246d ago

I though xbox burn house story end years ago.
I prefer rrod than burning house.

+ Show (6) more repliesLast reply 2246d ago
SuicidalTendencies2247d ago

I've read some dumb fanboy comments on here in my time but this one takes the cake.

lorianguy2247d ago (Edited 2247d ago )

^Cake flavour.

gamingdroid2247d ago

I agree.... Your own stupidity caused you to be displaced, and the kicker? Red Cross is pitching in to help!

I guess you can't blame people for not knowing better...?

SuicidalTendencies2247d ago (Edited 2247d ago )

It's carrot cake. My favorite. :P

dcbronco2247d ago

I was all ready for carrot cake and Bit had to go and ruin it.

+ Show (5) more repliesLast reply 2247d ago
Dante1122247d ago (Edited 2247d ago )

Man, why would someone do that? Microsoft tells you not to put stuff on your 360 while it's on or you might get RROD. No wonder the place burnt down.

Edit: I'm with crazy on this one. Someone could have gotten seriously hurt or killed by that device. Glad everyone made it out ok though. Just my opinion guys.

gamingdroid2247d ago (Edited 2247d ago )

In other news, people accidentally stabbed somebody else and now sues the retailer that sold them the knife.

Dante112 agrees that is the appropriate action. Somebody could have gotten killed!

Dante1122247d ago (Edited 2247d ago )

@ gaming

You see what the 360 did to their home? Consoles should not explode or catch fire like that.

Edit: @ gypsygib above

QFT.

gamingdroid2247d ago

@Dante112

You do know heat causes fire, right?

Anything, and I mean anything that causes heat will catch on fire if you put it in a small enclosed space. That is common sense NOT TO DO!

shoddy2246d ago

A gaming machine not suppose to create enough heat like a toaster to create fire. Usually electronic device design to shut off when overheat to prevent more damage.

kreate2246d ago

@gamingdroid

U cant expect kids to have common sense. And xbox is for kids as well as adults.

I still think its not microsoft's fault though.

+ Show (2) more repliesLast reply 2246d ago
PetitPiPi2247d ago

What?! crazy monkey choked on his pickle. He's not feeling right.

BitbyDeath2247d ago (Edited 2247d ago )

Sounds more like "Natural Selection" to me.
DERP

+ Show (2) more repliesLast reply 2246d ago
2247d ago
2247d ago Replies(5)
Death2247d ago

Sue Microsoft?

Is it really out of the question that the person(s) that left the system on and in a closet covered with combustible clothing be held responsible? The homeowners insurance should pick up the tab on the damage unless the fire was intentional.

-Death

buffycrp2247d ago

Watch the same happen with practically any electrical.

Show all comments (52)
The story is too old to be commented.