Susanne Ault reports for Video Business on 12/7/2007. Highlights from her report:
• Halo 3 is estimated to have sold about 2.5 million copies, topping first-day sales approximations for Shrek the Third. Transformers, however, sold more - about 4.5 million DVD copies in its first day.
• Bob Geistman, senior VP of sales and marketing at Ingram Entertainment, predicts many consumers can't afford both hit games and DVDs and are likely having to prioritize their shopping.
• Geistman says studios are becoming cognizant of the fact that they need to plan their DVD releases around games to avoid unnecessary cannibalization.
• Video Buyers Group (VBG) president Ted Engen says Halo 3 is the best-selling title, period, among game and DVD releases.
• If current trends continue, Engen expects many VBG members will swap out catalog DVD shelf space for videogame space.
• Comparing fourth-quarter 2007 with the same 2006 period, VBG games sales/rentals are expected to climb 20%, and DVD should lift about 5%.