Submitted by Pozzle 1228d ago | news

Hellboy Director Hates Game Cutscenes

"'I'm not watching a movie, f*** you'. I want a game."

Ever since movie director Guillermo Del Toro announced his survival horror game Insane, there's been a lot of excitement about the project. That said, if you were hoping the game would contain movie-length cutscenes featuring Del Toro's signature style, you're in for some disappointment: The dude who directed Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth actually hates cutscenes. (Guillermo del Toro, inSANE, PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

Tachyon_Nova  +   1228d ago
I agree, for me cut scenes Undermin3s the sense of immersion I have in a game. If say a FPS kept the cutscenes somewhat interactive (ie move the camera) and in the same perspective as the gameplay (a la Crysis 2) then I have no problem though.
AntoineDcoolette  +   1228d ago
I used to believe cutscenes were a necessity for story telling experience in VGs and when I first played HL2 I knocked it for not having any. But over the years and having played more and more titles with no cutscenes I've come to prefer a lack of them most of the time. A few titles such as MGS are an exception.
NEW-AGE  +   1228d ago
I Hate Scripted Action War Games, id rather bad guys pop out from differnt places everytime you play or differnt buildings would collapse or random Stuff Would Explode .... I cant Explain it But i think i heard of a Never ending Offroading game that would Render Land and mountains Randomly... Swwet Jumps
Commander_TK  +   1228d ago
No surprise here. Spielberg also thinks that too.
Pikajew  +   1228d ago
I like in game cut scenes that let you move around during it or the opening credits like what Okami and Zelda games have.

I hate animated cutscenes. Professor Layton were the only ones I ever liked
#2 (Edited 1228d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
BlmThug  +   1228d ago
I agree. If i wanted a film i would watch a film. If its a short cutscene then its alright but cutscenes like MGS4 is just taking the p***
xtreampro  +   1228d ago
A game cut-scene has never felt like a flippin advertisement to me. Maybe it's just him because I tend to feel a sigh of relief when a cut-scene comes in a very hard game, or after a very intense part of the game.

It's kind of but not exactly like the feeling you get from hitting pause in games like Resident Evil 2 and Dino Crisis 1 .
dorron  +   1228d ago
I have no trouble with cutscenes. I love'em.
ironfist92  +   1227d ago
Its all up to how the developer decided to further the story. If its all in-game such as Bioshock, then it work just as fine as the many other games which use cutscenes.

Its all about delivering the message, and they dictate how effectively they want to portray it.
e-p-ayeaH  +   1228d ago
Then you better play multiplayer if you dont want story at all moron.
#6 (Edited 1228d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
reznik_zerosum  +   1228d ago
so the only way to tell the story in game is trough the cutscenes ? that means whole gaming is flawed and all people that that say games could be art are tards.if gaming is medium that is not made for some random nolife kids and only thing that it does is coping other types of popular medium then u are right.do it easy way,cutscene way.
e-p-ayeaH  +   1228d ago
Yes you will always need cutscenes to make a solid story in a videogame.

Cutscenes is almost everything that is story related even if there´s some button mashing to cover it up (QTE´s) or some scripted event doesnt change the fact that segment is there just add story to the game.

Back then cutscenes were also alot used to show some certain action scenes that that werent possible during gameplay but games like uncharted 2 have changed that.

Cutscenes are still very needed to deliver a solid story due to alot things that dev time schedules cant go over it at least for now.

Just have fun with your games that you like for what their are.
#6.1.1 (Edited 1228d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(3) | Report
Aery  +   1228d ago
Cut-scene are a great addition to the game. Maybe sometime there are too much, but in the end are a good things.
My dear director, there are a LOT of game without cut-scene, so play them and be happy, you are not forced to play other games.
#7 (Edited 1228d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
christheredhead  +   1228d ago
hellboy directors favorite game is mgs4.
dragonelite  +   1228d ago
I hate them.
Trainz  +   1228d ago
What the heck is going on in that thumbnail?
Sugreev2001  +   1228d ago
I enjoy cut scenes,just not overly long ones.Anyway,a huge fan of Guillermo.
Me-Time  +   1228d ago
Same here. Even then, after hearing this, I choose Hideo Kojima over Guillermo Del Toro. It's no contest. I believe Kojima to be the "superior" being lol.

Idk, I'm disappointed, but I have to choose Kojima. Del Toro might regret making this game in the end. I don't want to play a game that doesn't have a good storyline, or a deep dialogue. I don't want cutscenes to only be shown at necessary points in the game. Depth is needed if I'm going to buy. I won't even buy God of War 3 or Heavy Rain unless they're $15 - Black Friday!
Sugreev2001  +   1228d ago
Same here,bro.I believe having these pre-requisite requirements are the hallmarks of this generation.
Tony P  +   1228d ago
I could not disagree more, Me-Time.

Because you seem to assume a game cannot tell a good story without ditching what makes a game different from a movie or television show: interactivity.

You are basically equating cutscenes with depth and that couldn't be more wrong.

You leave out extremely adept games like Heavy Rain, Fahrenheit, HL2, Bioshock and others where so much of the story is given through in-game activity.

Cutscenes are not the only way and they haven't been for a long time now.
LoLZoRz  +   1228d ago
I agree, I buy a game because I want to play it. There can be some fast cutscenes to push the story but if there's tons of them then I rage inside.

Kingdom Hearts 2 for example, I couldn't stand playing it, I only started enjoying it near the end because there was a long cutscene every 10 minutes.
CDzNutts  +   1228d ago
Love em. Entertainment is entertainment. There are games with good cut scenes and there are games with bad ones.

I don't care how much of it is in the game, if they are good and I am entertained...game-play and cut scene wise, then I've gotten my money's worth.

Good is good, no matter what form it comes in.
CynicalVision  +   1228d ago
For me it depends on the game, if I'm playing a game like Metal Gear Solid or Uncharted then the story is the most important part.

reznik_zerosum  +   1228d ago
cut-scenes have nothing to do with story/telling a story its just a excuse for lack of creativity.
one main difference between stories in gaming and stories in movies is experience that u get from playing the game,it should suck u in and not just trow at u pointless cutscene.evolution of whole gaming is experience.

"It seems pointless to pay full price for a game and not fully understand what's happening as you play the singleplayer, that defeats the purpose." - this is pointless
e-p-ayeaH  +   1228d ago
You better give some good examples (games) how it should be done to clarify your point.
#14.1.1 (Edited 1228d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report
CynicalVision  +   1228d ago
Obviously we have very different opinions.
SSKILLZ  +   1228d ago
I don't mind cut scenes do we need them all the time for a better experience? No.
Bioshock and the fallout series are a awesome experience and don't have cut scenes, but what I would like to see are interactive ones where the player is in control all the time.
#15 (Edited 1228d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
e-p-ayeaH  +   1228d ago
"Bioshock and the fallout series don't have cut scenes"

Im sorry but they do.

Bioshock audio tapes are a good way to deliver some story during gameplay but when your progressing through the main story scripted events (which is basicly a cutscene) and cutscenes will appear.

And the fallout series like any other rpg you have to go through with all the NPC´s talk (interrupting the main gameplay) which is no diferent from a cutscene that also allows you to skip it or pause it.
#15.1 (Edited 1228d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Blacklight82   1228d ago | Spam
Nac  +   1227d ago
I always find it ironic that Hollywood directors like Guillermo, Jackson, and Spielberg have a distaste for cutscenes. Always interested how they would tell stories alternatively...

In terms of cut-scenes, I feel we are getting to the point where we don't really need them anymore. I had doubt about the future of this medium's presentation...then I experienced Uncharted 3.
#17 (Edited 1227d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply

Latest Specs and Reception for the Kingston HyperX Cloud II

11m ago - Check out some thoughts about this new headset. | Culture

The 5 Goriest Mortal Kombat Fatalities Ever - The Gist

11m ago - Mortal Kombat is infamous for its brutal finishing moves called fatalities, but Mortal Kombat X h... | PC

Make the World / Break the World

Now - Myriad is a twin-stick shooter that grows more beautiful the better you play. Give us your vote on Steam Greenlight! | Promoted post

First Hour: Axiom Verge (PS4)

11m ago - If You Like Metroid, You'll Love This Game! Colin Checks Out The First Hour Of Axiom Verge On The... | PC

Games of April: GTA V PC, Mortal Kombat X

11m ago - MMGN writes: The year kicked off with a mellow stream of releases throughout January and February... | Culture

Fake VR boob goggles showed me that 'two party politics' are no good for gaming

11m ago - Destructoid: "Last week, Steven Hansen did a news story about some fake boob-infused videogame... | Culture