Submitted by xtheownerzx 1365d ago | opinion piece

FPS Vs RPG's: Which Genre has the Greatest Games?

GamerFitNation's Gregory Laporte ask gamers which genre has the greatest games? Rpg's or Fps titles? "First Person Shooters are some of the most awe inspiring innovative titles ever created, RPG's are also some of the most time consuming but personally rewarding games in terms of story and combat. This brings us to the article that I am writing about today. FPS titles and RPG's have created waves of new ideas in gaming but, which has really created the greatest games? (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Final Fantasy XIII, Killzone 3, PS3, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Xbox 360)

Kalowest  +   1365d ago
RPG's
Nevers  +   1365d ago
RPGs are my pick as well.

I play FPSes sometimes cuz I play videogames... but RPGs are what got me hooked into playing videogames at all.
#1.1 (Edited 1365d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Skip_Bayless  +   1365d ago
Life would be boring if one of the genres did not exist, but I must say in the modern day the FPS is dominant. I'm not a relic so I'm not going to back to the PS2,PS1, and SNES to play old games with visuals that don't stand up to today.
solid warlord   1365d ago | Offensive
solid warlord   1365d ago | Offensive
GameTavern  +   1365d ago
I don't think there's any way to really compare which has the better games.

What makes a great FPS isn't the same thing that makes a great RPG and vice versa.
HeavenlySnipes  +   1365d ago
Not really a comparison
at least, that's how I approached the question. I saw it as "Which genre has the best games". My immediate response was RPG because my favourite games ever are RPGs (Chrono Cross and FFXII). Add to that the numerous well received RPGs like The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, most of the Final Fantasies, Dark/Demons Souls, Chrono series, Xenogears etc..
GameTavern  +   1365d ago
You also get a ton of well-regarded FPSes as well.

And more often than not, you get something like Goldeneye, Halo and Modern Warfare which are seen as hallmark games that changed the industry.

For RPGs, I can only really think of Final Fantasy 7.
BitbyDeath  +   1365d ago
@GameTavern
Don't forget Elder Scrolls
iamnsuperman  +   1365d ago
I personally not a fan of RPG so I would have to go with FPS even though FPS (to me) hasn't got the best games I have played. Its all about personal choice and preference.

off topic but I like the photo. Looks really good
#3 (Edited 1365d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
Relientk77  +   1365d ago
RPG's are hands down better than FPS's

Final Fantasy series
Folklore
3D Dot Game Heroes
Valkeria Chronicles
Vagrant Story
#4 (Edited 1365d ago ) | Agree(19) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
xtheownerzx  +   1365d ago
you bring a lot of great titles that I haven't played in years relientk77. There are a lot of great series both past and present my only concern is why haven't we seen such greatness this gen. It seems like FPS titles are catching up in terms of quality and the experiences that they are providing.

There have been several great FPS titles this gen that are better than a lot RPG's this generation.
MariaHelFutura  +   1365d ago
There has been some pretty good RPGs this gen

-Oblivion
-Skyrim
-Tales Of Vesperia
-Lost Oddessy
-Fallout 3
-Fallout:NV
-Mass Effect 1
-Demon Souls
-Dark Souls
-Final Fantasy Versus (looks to be amazing)
-Deus Ex

Thats pretty good.
Kalowest  +   1365d ago
"It seems like FPS titles are catching up in terms of quality and the experiences that they are providing." Lmao, sorry i just had to laugh.
Nerdmaster  +   1365d ago
@MariaHelFutura

I love RPG and hate FPS. But your post made me realize how the RPG genre has fallen this generation. I think the last great RPG I played was Final Fantasy X.
Focus  +   1365d ago
yay, lists
Capt-FuzzyPants  +   1365d ago
You forgot kingdom hearts. But yea rpg's are definitely better then shooters
Pikajew  +   1365d ago
Zelda is not an RPG, it's an action adventure game. Just because they are long doesnt make them an RPG

I like JRPGs, turn based RPGs and some action RPGs. I usually get borde with shooters half way threw

The only shooters I actualy finnish are adventure shooters like Halflife and Metroid Prime
#4.4 (Edited 1365d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
_Aarix_  +   1365d ago
Zelda has health, currency for items an side quests.. Yea it's an rpg.
Capt-FuzzyPants  +   1365d ago
@aarix

shooters have health and currency too.those aren't the elements that make up an rpg
_Aarix_  +   1365d ago
Zelda has had all of those before any shooter did. What exactly makes a rpg then that Zelda hasn't had for 30 years. Never mind the fact that that's it's official genre other than a puzzle/action game.
#4.4.3 (Edited 1365d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
kma2k  +   1365d ago
Im a RPG whore its no comparison for me, but that is IMO its not fact!
Relientk77  +   1365d ago
Same with me. I love RPGs. They truely give you an incredible experience and suck you into a whole fantasy world. It is easily my favorite genre of video games.
thrasherv3  +   1365d ago
They are both good but it's when you combine them that magic happens.
Kalowest  +   1365d ago
Border Lands and Fallout 3 & NV are three game i can think of.
CaptainMarvelQ8  +   1365d ago
That is just ridiculous,RPG's will always be superior to FPS.For me personally what makes a game is a great story,gameplay and freedom...graphics are my least priority providing that the game looks acceptable.While for FPS games,everything is quite the opposite of what I like;Graphics seem to be top priority,then multiplayer(which is the only good thing)and lastly story,that is if there's actually a campaign.The gameplay is the same with very little developers innovating.Run,duck,shoot and repeat.
#7 (Edited 1365d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Bathyj  +   1365d ago
Neither.

3rd person adventure games, and user generated content platformers have been the two best games for me.

I said FOR ME.
kma2k  +   1365d ago
Soooooo your favorite game is infamous/uncharted?
Bathyj  +   1365d ago
My FAVOURITE game is probably Tenchu Z on Xbox, but I think the best games are LBP and Uncharted. Infamous is my favourite superhero game.
Chnswdchldrn  +   1365d ago
wow how can you even make such a comparison

on average, RPGs have more great games than the FPS genre, but there doesn't exist an RPG that tops Half Life 2 for me
Focus  +   1365d ago
RPG's. . .more specifically WRPG's.
Kalowest  +   1365d ago
Personally I think JRPG's are better. The best JRPG's this gen are mainly for the Handholds.
Deadman_Senji  +   1365d ago
RPGs, no contest
Tex117  +   1365d ago
What a retarded question.

Some people absolutely LOVE FPS.

Some people absolutely LOVE RPG's.

For me, Im an RPG guy, but that doesn't mean they are the "better games."
VonAlbrecht  +   1365d ago
finally, someone with a fucking brain showed up in here

and someone had the testicular fortitude to disagree with preference being a subjective thing
Tanir  +   1365d ago
well lets see.......FPS's the most milked genre besides sports....vs the takes time to make genre and is actually worth 60$ genre called Rpgs.

these Rpgs have replay value, immersion, customization, and if ur speaking of jrpgs, awesome story, long campaign, fast paced combat (tales, star ocean etc)

theeeeeen FPS's........well ummm, you shoot crap.....shoot stuff, shoot things, play the 2-3 hours SP, then play the copy paste MP that feels the same across all games. I mean FPS mixed with rpg is cool (bioshock, fallout etc)

but just shooters are Meh

long way of saying rpgs ftw
BitbyDeath  +   1365d ago
Pretty much my thoughts as well.

Have a bubble
SDF Repellent  +   1365d ago
RPGs are great but in this generation, tactical RPGs like Final Fantasy tactic or Shining Force are no where to be found.

I will sell my first born to have a new Shining Force 4 or a HD remake of all three shining force 3 scenarios.
#14 (Edited 1365d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
TheColbertinator  +   1365d ago
Try out Jeanne D'Arc,Sakura Wars:So Long My Love and if you have not tried out yet,I strongly recommend Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 2.
admiralthrawn87  +   1365d ago
adventure shooters like Half-Life, Halo, Bioshock, Doom 3?
or mindless 4 hour long shooters like COD, Battlefield?

those are two different genre's to me
VampiricDragon  +   1365d ago
its not even close

rpgs by a mile

theres been hundreds of good ones this gen on all systems
TheColbertinator  +   1365d ago
Some FPS games have the brilliance of RPGs like bioshock,Half-Life,Deus Ex,and Mirrors Edge.

Most FPS games are devoid of quality unfortunately.

JRPG and WRPG games on the other hand are brilliant.The characters,the music,the art and the stories are definitions of high quality gaming.
BitbyDeath  +   1365d ago
Whether you like them or not you gotta admit that RPG's are a lot more diverse in what they offer. You get JRPG's, WRPG's and the inbetween mixes.

Where as shooters are generally the same. Some may come with destruction, added gore or a series of crazy weapons but none of that really changes the game unlike an RPG which doesn't always have guns or even the same view type (text based, overhead, 3PS, side scroller etc). Which changing those up can also lead to a lot more variety in story and missions.

RPG's should win by default IMO
#18 (Edited 1365d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Sharingan_no_Kakashi  +   1365d ago
Rpg's.... duh.
swishersweets20031  +   1365d ago
i think rpgs were king 10 years ago but now days i just cant get into them anymore.. :(

Homefront The Revolution Gameplay Demo

20m ago - A gameplay demo of Homefront The Revolution looking at the open world guerilla based gaming. | PC

Gamescom: Halo 5, FIFA 16 Xbox One Bundles Coming This Fall

41m ago - Microsoft announced the Limited Edition bundles at Gamescom Tuesday | Xbox One

Warhammer Fans! Win a Pro-Painted Ghorgon!

Now - Turbo Tape Games is pleased to announce a contest for an exclusive Ghorgon miniature hand-painted by Dave Taylor! | Promoted post

Submerged Review – Shadowed by the Colossus (PS4) -- PlayStation LifeStyle

1h ago - PlayStation LifeStyle writes: Submerged tries to be something memorable but misses the mark. Read... | PS4

Top 5 PlayStation Executives

1h ago - In this episode of Top 5 Tuesdays, PSLS takes a look at the top five (currently active) PlayStati... | Culture

Squares set to release in Europe next week

1h ago - Leap Game Studios have been in touch to let us at The Vita Lounge know that their fast-paced puzz... | PS Vita