Submitted by Espio1 992d ago | opinion piece

Uncharted 3's linearity is a strength, not a weakness

Naughty Dog's adventure shouldn't be slated for being straightforward, argues CVG's Chris Schilling (Naughty Dog, PS3, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception)

NukaCola  +   992d ago
Using linear as a con for Uncharted 3 is just a biased pile of bullcrap. Any game that plays in levels is linear. Gears of War is linear(A split in paths is not variety), any 2D Nintendo game is linear, newest Casltevania is linear, tomb raider will be linear. 90% of previous gen is linear. Since when is linear bad? I have no idea.
coolbeans  +   992d ago
Linear: of, or relating to, a straight line

Although your post is sensible, Gears of War is, by definition, not linear.

"A split in paths in not variety"

Variety: the quality or condition of being various or varied; diversity. By defintion...it is. But of course, give me disagrees despite being right.
#1.1 (Edited 992d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(26) | Report | Reply
DigitalRaptor  +   992d ago
By the definition, the type of concise story Naughty Dog tells with the Uncharted games is linear. The gameplay offers a lot of dynamism and there are multiple ways to attempt a level, but in its nature it always leads to the same conclusion.

But I think where much of the variety that comes with Uncharted is in the environments and locations, weapons, and styles of play: Stealth, melee, gun combat, platform traversal, swimming etc. These are its strengths in variety. The way the story is told is a strength in linearity. None should be considered drawbacks!
#1.1.1 (Edited 992d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(1) | Report
Blastoise  +   992d ago
You forgot one. FINAL FANTASY XIII! To answer your question "When is linear bad?" In RPG`s, thats when.
#1.2 (Edited 992d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
miyamoto  +   992d ago
Agree. absolutely. i have played tons of fun linear games since the NES and Genesis. This is like nitpickin on U3 for things it was not designed for, right Eurogamer?
#1.3 (Edited 992d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
cgoodno  +   992d ago
A better title would be "Linearity is not a weakness". This isn't just about Uncharted, though it seems Uncharted is an unfair target for complaints about it.

Books are linear. Movies are linear. TV shows are linear. More than 90% of games are linear. And yet, in each of these arenas, linearity is oftentimes greatly awarded for their stories and gameplay.

BioShock, Uncharted, God of War, Half-Life, Resident Evil 4, and so on.

I can't believe I'm doing this, but even Jim Sterling knows this: http://www.destructoid.com/...

The problem is that people mistake open world with decision when the main storyline is 99% of the time just as linear as a closed world. They mistake the decision of side content for making it non-linear, when in reality it's a choice in where you put additional content. Uncharted 3 has additional content in the form of Co-op and Multiplayer, not in their single-player game.
#1.4 (Edited 992d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Max Power  +   992d ago
Choose your own adventure books aren't linear. Wink---> ;)
foryouonly   992d ago | Spam
Optical_Matrix  +   992d ago
Exactly. Tell me one open world game that delivers it's narrative and characters as perfectly as Uncharted does?
wicko  +   992d ago
Mass effect is probably the closest - but they tell a bunch of completely seperate stories for each of the squad mates you recruit, so that's easy to allow player choice. The story is still linear - you can't make any major changes early in the game that twist the story in another direction. You mainly affect the end of the game. It would be impossible to do otherwise, with the time constraints to make games like these.

When it comes to story, all games are pretty much linear.
barkingspace  +   992d ago
The Uncharted franchise will always be one of the pinnacles of storytelling. You're not going to find a better integration of game-play and narrative. Linearity is a great way to maintain control.
Ezio2048  +   992d ago
well personally i dont find any fault in Uncharted series...i mean it keeps getting better and my jaw bigger!!! =D
Son_Lee  +   992d ago
People have no problem praising Uncharted when it's linear, yet they took a huge pile of dump all over FFXIII for being linear. I don't get it.
foryouonly   992d ago | Spam
RedDead  +   992d ago
Problem with FFXiii wasn't that it was linear, it's just that it was shi*. Boring crap. FFX was also linear but it had a better battle system and gave you breaks from battles. Linearity isn't a problem anyway imo.
#6.2 (Edited 992d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
sashimi  +   992d ago
So true...I've replayed every single FF i've owned with much enjoyment but..i can't even get past the first hour or 2 of FF13 when i replayed it. I almost fell asleep seriously. Then the battle system o god, its all automatic. Linearity is fine and all but sh!t they made the game like its a shooter always going from one battle field to the next, no towns to explore, shops to spend gil on.

Fails pretty hard as a rpg.
#6.2.1 (Edited 992d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
MasterCornholio  +   992d ago
It's suppose to be linear because that way they can provide a movie like experience.

XperiaRay
TopDudeMan  +   992d ago
There are some excellent linear games out there. Uncharted being just one of them. Of course it isn't a weakness.
Fishy Fingers  +   992d ago
I love linear games. Perhaps it's my style or whatever, but I'd rather everything centred around me, it provides a more personal experience. I'm just no good at "making my own fun", I enjoy sandbox as much as the next guy, but from an out and out single player experience, it maybe shorter, but linear suits me down to the ground.
UltimateIdiot911  +   992d ago
Exactly how I feel. I have a friend who loves open world/sandbox type of games which I understand but what I play for is something more like cinematic experience.

I get that from Uncharted especially when it feels like an Indiana Jones movie. Had the game been open world, I don't think I would have gotten the same joy I get from playing Uncharted games as I do now.
Freshnikes  +   992d ago
I don't want every game I play to be like red dead, ride a horse for 10min. To get to the other town, oh but the trees are so beautiful...lol......... c'mon son uc3 is perfect the way it is.....,let's not forget rage drive here, come back, and drive here again lame ....but but but the scenery ...lol u can keep ur scenery

The games I mentioned are good in their own way.....I just don't want every game open world
#10 (Edited 992d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Noticeably_FAT  +   992d ago
I get tired of excuses when it comes to high profile games. "Campaign isn't THAT bad". "Game being linear isn't so bad". Just deal with the fact that games aren't perfect and you cant please everyone.
Lol thats a BS excuse. Story should never take priority over gameplay. And that's what happens in uncharted.
Ultr  +   992d ago
I have had more hours of pure gameplay in a game like uncharted compared to other games
50+h played in Uncharted 2 Singleplayer, let alone the Multiplayer, this is pure gameplay.
If I get a wonderfull and perfectly executed Story in that game too. Wich Uncharted does. You get a nearly perfect game.
So story did not take priority over gameplay, like you are saying, its a great story. and great gameplay.
Thats what happens in Uncharted.
callahan09  +   992d ago
No it doesn't. The gameplay is great in Uncharted. Story does not take priority over gameplay, but there is an effective balance between the two. If you don't think a story-gameplay balance is necessary, then don't play games that try to tell a story, but don't come complaining like you're some kind of God of Game Design and claim that games shouldn't even TRY to tell stories. Some people like a good story to go along with their gameplay, and Uncharted most certainly does one of the better jobs of implementing that.
I wouldnt call "press X to glue yourself to a wall despite the distance gap between platforms" great gameplay.

Its an average game for dummies of this generation who aren't familiar with the expression "player input" and are obsessed with pretty graphics and doing as little as possible in a game.
#13 (Edited 992d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
BABY-JEDI  +   992d ago
You just can't please everyone, especially the whiners
; P
Rageanitus  +   992d ago
ummm most single player games have to be linear. now if u have a game like quake 3 or unreal tournament.......
Venjense  +   992d ago
I like linear, open world and open-ish games, as all have there merits.

The major advantage of linear games is that you can have a wide number of varied environments and tell a cohesive, engaging story more easily. Open world games are fairly limite in terms of environment variety.

Reviewers shouldn't take off points for linearity or add for openness, all that matters is how good the experience is.

The Walking Dead Season 2: Episode 4 — Amid the Ruins Review | Hardcore Gamer

15m ago - Grotesque, inhumane events occur in the fourth episode, along with choices that contain drastic o... | PC

This PlayStation Vita Visual Novel Is About Anti-Terrorism With A Touch Of Sci-Fi

36m ago - Visual novel makers Minato Soft have had a few of their titles ported to console, but they’ll be... | PS Vita

It’s A Bear Beatdown, But How Bearable Is Fist of Awesome?

36m ago - Greg Micek writes: "We've got 30 minutes of Nathaniel’s beard playing First of Awesome; a side sc... | PC

Game Industry Salary Survey Shows 2% Industry Dip in 2014

36m ago - Gamesutra has released their 2013 earnings survey. The numbers show an industry that is past its... | Industry

Start Making Games for the PS4

Windy Valley Put Back into Sonic Adventure DX Where it Belongs

37m ago - Carl Williams writes, "What if I told you that there is another level, an inaccessible one before... | PC