In a community where word-of-mouth reigns supreme, the gaming demographic is becoming recognized by retailers as consisting of influencers. And gamers don't just influence gaming-related purchases - but general product purchases, according to a Ziff Davis Media consumer study.
The survey found, not surprisingly, that the gaming community is heavily comprised of technology enthusiasts, music lovers and avid movie watchers. Some highlights (also see series of charts below related to these findings):
• Over 80 percent own a mobile phone, DVD player, and desktop computer; over 50 percent own a digital camera, MP3 player (without video), Wi-Fi products, PC storage/hard drive and flat panel PC monitor.
• 1/3 are considering buying a flat panel/plasma/LCD TVs, HDTVs or high end audio systems in the next 6 months; another 25% is considering purchasing digital camcorders and laptop/notebook computers.
• 93% are enthusiastic about and comfortable with new technology and consumer electronics, with 76% described by their friends as being into the latest technology and 61% being the first among their friends to buy new technology gadgets.
• 71% planning to purchase an Apple iPod in the next six months, 43% Microsoft Zune, 28% Apple iPhone, and 24% Creative Labs.
• 64% going to theaters at least once a month, 91% watching a DVD movie at least once a month, and 76% renting an average of 7 movies in the previous 6 months.
Read the full report for information about the survey and additional numbers.