Submitted by notimetobeidle 1156d ago | opinion piece

The Great Decline of JRPGs

Trevor of GAMElitist.com - "JRPGs may not be dead, but they sure are getting there. Until Japanese developers find a way to appeal to a wider, more sophisticated audience, JRPGs will be what they once were; a niche style within a niche genre that will simply exist thanks to a few hardcore fans." (3DS, Culture, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XIII, Parasite Eve, PC, PS2, PS3, PSP, Retro, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable, Tales of the Abyss, Xbox 360, Xenogears)

chidori666  +   1156d ago
JRPGS are dying genre because of the new generation of idiot "gamers" who refused to purchase games that doesn't have multiplayer (and in some occasions doesn't have guns)or online co-op FPS.

this make my a sad panda because i LOVE the JRPGS genre... =/
#1 (Edited 1156d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
jc48573  +   1156d ago
I 100% agree with ya.
NewMonday  +   1156d ago
actually JRPGs are having their best time recently, we have just had the classic Xenoblade, and will soon get NiNuKuni, Tales of Graces, FFT-0, Devil Survivor 2, Last Story, Grand Knights History, Frontier Gate, Dragons Crown, and hopefully Tales of Xillia.
#1.1.1 (Edited 1156d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
knifefight  +   1156d ago
And if I may add, these articles always seem to be written by people who do not play JRPGs outside of Final Fantasy and maybe like one odd JRPG here and there. If anyone wants a good JRPG, there are plenty of them coming out rather regularly. Trevor of gamelitist.com needs to up his game.

All the games listed in this article are the super mainstream ones. Just because something doesn't get PR hype in the West doesn't mean a whole genre is "dying." Jeez, what hyperbole.
#1.2 (Edited 1156d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
TruthbeTold  +   1156d ago
I'm still on board for games like the Tales series, Dragon Quest, Demon's souls, Valkyria Chronicles, and Fire Emblem. Unless something amazing happens though, I'm pretty much done with Final Fantasy and the like. Also, with these IP's that I'm hanging in there with, I'm getting pretty damned tired of waiting a year and two years after the Japanese release to get a version that I can play too.

Edit: And none of that is to say that I think the WRPG is any better most of the time. It's the R.P.G. itself that's in decline I think, only the JRPG is falling fastest when it comes to entertainment value.
#2 (Edited 1156d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
rambler  +   1156d ago
There has still been a good number of great JRPG's released, and it doesn't take a lot of digging to find them. The problem in my opinion, is that they haven't occurred in any big name or hyped titles (final fantasy and some of the earlier titles in the generation). This has caused the greater general gaming populace to miss out on the better examples of the genre, instead playing some average ones (ffxiii, infinite undiscovery etc) and ultimately no new fans are being added to the existing.
#3 (Edited 1156d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
FlashXIII  +   1156d ago
As the poster above me said, there is still plenty of great JRPGs to play. For me though, the decline started the moment they tried to fix what wasn't so broken. I kind of stopped playing JRPGs back after FF10 but started to get back into them recently. The most obvious difference for me is the amount of games where you only play as one character and the computer controls the rest.. I can't emphasize how much I bleeding hate this and how it detracts from the awesomeness of having new characters joining your group.
SDF Repellent  +   1156d ago
I am currently replaying all 3 scenarios OF Shining force 3 on Sega.Saturn. I play it once a year because it is my favorite game. Wish they had made a version for current generation.
#5 (Edited 1156d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Inception  +   1156d ago
Not this article again -_-

This month i played Resonance of Fate a lot (the game was bloody f*kin hard), and i enjoyed it
Also in the next few month there's Fate/Extra, Grand Knight History, Ni no Kuni, Graces F, and The Witch and Hundred Calvarymen

Darn, i even missed some tittles like Disgaea 4, Ar Tonelico 3, and WKC II >.<

The great decline of JRPG? yeah right -_-
#6 (Edited 1156d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Louis_Guzman  +   1156d ago
Pokemon
KingofGambling  +   1156d ago
Suikoden VI will bring back the good old days of JRPG.
klecser  +   1155d ago
Radiant Historia was a fantastic JRPG that came out THIS YEAR. But, it was on DS, and since most people ignore handheld consoles they missed out.

Why Isn’t Steins;Gate Available On Steam?

6m ago - Siliconera got in touch with JAST USA founder Peter Payne to ask if he could share any insight as... | PC

We eat the Resident Evil curry, discover it’s very tasty, not at all itchy [Taste test]

7m ago - RN24: It might be hard to imagine, what the guns-blazing nature of its live-action film adaptatio... | Culture

Capcom On Ultra SFIV’s PC Netcode: “New Steam network API should help improve matters”

27m ago - Since its migration to Steamworks, Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition and Ultra Street Fighte... | PC

Destiny – How to Cheese Crota’s End Raid Final Boss

40m ago - Showing you the exploit which allows you to cheese Crota in Destiny, the final boss of the Crota’... | Xbox 360

Win a PS4!!

Now - Join us on Filmwatch to find out how you can win a free PS4 this holiday season! | Promoted post

The 12 Games of Christmas

47m ago - SheAttack: Wondering what to play this holiday season? Erica of SheAttack has you covered with th... | Xbox 360