Blizzard is sitting pretty at the moment. Having just announced that the world's most popular MMO, World of Warcraft, has got even more popular, with an astonishing 9.3m subscriptions across the world, the US developer can afford to employ its famous mantra "it will be ready when it's ready" whenever it's asked about games in development. And clearly its legion of fans wouldn't want it any other way.
VideoGamer.com sat down for a chat with executive vice-president of product development Frank Pearce to talk World of Warcraft 2, StarCraft 2 and the mystery surrounding StarCraft: Ghost.
Tidbits from the interview:
- They are not yet ready to talk about the release date of Wrath of the Lich King.
- Warhammer Online, Age of Conan and Tabula Rasa are bringing some great new ideas to the MMO space, according to Frank Pearce.
- No concrete relase date for StarCraft 2. They're prepared to spend as much time as required to ensure StarCraft II lives up to expectations.
- They share the desire of the community in seeing the Diablo series continue, but their focus remains on StarCraft II and Wrath of the Lich King.
- They not looking to restart console development in the near future.
- They have no plans to continue StarCraft: Ghost' development on next-generation consoles.