Submitted by Simonkey75 1057d ago | news

David Cage: From the brink

“I’m not in this business to make money,” says David Cage, who says there will be no follow up to his PS3 masterpiece because he’s determined to make his name a brand rather than “Heavy Rain 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, 12″. (David Cage, Heavy Rain , PS3, Quantic Dream)

Credit url: beefjack.com
Alternative Sources
NukaCola  +   1057d ago
uh this is how he is supposed to be. Like team ico. There is a similarity in a way, but each game is a new experience. I loved Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain. I look forward to something fresh. That space idea sounds cool. I would love to see him tackle a 2001: A Space Odyssey style game.
DarkTower805  +   1057d ago
Never played Indigo Prophecy, they should bring it to the PSN store.
ksense  +   1057d ago
everyone please read the entire interview at develop. it is very interesting

"Obviously today you’re still independent. If Sony approached and asked you to join their WorldWide Studios group – perhaps as their literary arm – would you be tempted?
Of course I would. Of course. I really like Sony, honestly I do. They’ve made some bets with developers like Fumito Ueda and Media Molecule. I kind of feel loyal to them."

Please do it Sony!!
wenaldy  +   1057d ago
You got bubbles for only mentioning 2001: Space Odyssey
Gamer3000  +   1057d ago
Of course I would. Of course. I really like Sony, honestly I do. They’ve made some bets with developers like Fumito Ueda and Media Molecule. I kind of feel loyal to them. "

after
the amazing Heavy Rain
"one of the best games of this gen"
don't worry sony will buy you soon enough
sony won this gen
when it comes to the games
they deliver
Prophet-Gamer  +   1057d ago
Sony should totally buy them up, it'd be great. Besides, Cage's games would never sell as good on the 360, their just no crowd for it (or at least a very, very small crowd). And being a first party studio would give them all the advantages that come with having access to tech and help from 20 other studios.
stonecold3  +   1057d ago
sony should buy quantic dreams heavy rain was my favourite game ?
bumnut  +   1057d ago
I preferred Indigo Prophecy because I had never played a game like it before and was blown away.

Heavy Rain was cool too.
Moebius69  +   1057d ago
Yeah i liked Fahrenheit more than Heavy Rain but i liked Omikron more
coolbeans  +   1057d ago
You should play the Shenmue series.
bumnut  +   1057d ago
I loved Shenmue, hope we get a new one soon. Id like a hd remake of the first 2 games too.
DigitalRaptor  +   1057d ago
Agree with the Shenmue sentiment. Unfortunately, Sega have been too disappointing for their own good for a long time.

A disc-based Shenmue HD Collection would be ideal, but I doubt it would happen. PSN/XBLA release maybe. Or PS Vita port maybe? We can dream!
Sunhammer  +   1057d ago
If Quantic Dream's next IP, which is PS3 exclusive, ends up like Heavy Rain in terms of quality and sales, Sony will acquire them. Same as they did with Sucker Punch.

I agree with Cage on not making a sequel. No room for it after seeing what happened, imo.
iamnsuperman  +   1057d ago
If the original story doesn't warrant it why bother. Its like Infamous series. The end of Infamous 2 was perfect for the series and to be honest should be left there. I am a gamer who is into story and story driven games and series. Some stories shouldn't be extended.
nickjkl  +   1057d ago
Screw you i want infamous 3
WiIIiam  +   1057d ago
Yeah, the ending of Infamous 2 really brought things to a beautiful close, but I enjoyed the gameplay so much that I can't help but to want more of it. Hopefully, Sucker Punch will find a way to build on that gameplay with whatever they're working on next.
zireno  +   1057d ago
What are you guys talking about?!! I tought inFamous 3 was a given, both endings imply Cole is still alive >_>.
WiIIiam  +   1057d ago
Oh yeah, I forgot about the lightning bolt haha. But still, I'd like to think Cole went on to a higher form of existence. It would be hard to see him return to scrambling over rooftops after that.
cogniveritas  +   1057d ago
Heavy Rain doesn't need a sequel, but it was disappointing to see them build in a section for DLC episodes that wasn't truly capitalized on.
Godchild1020  +   1057d ago
Blame Sony for wanting Move support in the game. Not a bad thing at all, since the game was fun to play with the move. I hope their next game has move support along with the standard controller.

Whenever it comes, I know it will be great.
dangert12  +   1057d ago
I will not slightly blame SONY I to want more Heavy Rain but DAMN PLAYING THAT GAME WITH MOVE!!!
yeah its a godsend
Saladfax  +   1057d ago
There is something to be said about spiritual successors. For instance; Demon's Souls to Dark Souls. No overlapping story, no contrived need to drag characters back together for one last adventure (not that such a thing could even make sense in those games anyways).

Infamous could continue, but if the story arc is concluded, they would be better off starting a new one with a brand new character. Heck, maybe they could keep the "Infamous" brand and explore different types of superpowers.
#3.4 (Edited 1057d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Godchild1020  +   1057d ago
Like how Cole is becoming a vampire next month?
badz149  +   1057d ago
The vamp Cole is like a spin-off
Many other franchises did it even MGS, so why not inFAMOUS? The gameplay is great and if they are willing to offer more? Hell yeah, come to momma
#3.4.2 (Edited 1057d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
GoldenPheasant  +   1057d ago
I agree and disagree. The end of infamous 2 was indeed great (I'm talking about "evil" side) and should be left there...for now. I think it makes a pretty good foundation for a MMO STYLE game for the PS4. I'd go into more detail but that would give away the ending for people that have not played it yet.
TreMillz  +   1057d ago
SPOILER!!!!!!!!!
um what? The good ending showed a 3 made of lightning...no one caught that? The bad was,well hes a dictator with a hot Asian chick at his side.
#3.6 (Edited 1057d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Shojin1  +   1057d ago
Good to hear. New IP's with high quality are in demand.
CGI-Quality  +   1057d ago
Much respect Mr Cage!
halocursed  +   1057d ago
As much as I'd like to see Heavy Rain 2...I'd prefer Cage work on a new game, but please similar game mechanics. Heavy Rain was AWESOME!!!
Ghost101  +   1057d ago
Doesn't matter if he doesn't make a sequel, he will still use the mechanics of Heavy rain in his next game. So it will be a spiritual successor in a way and will play very similar. Well that's my guess anyway. It's stupid to throw out a winning formula or game because you're to cool for sequels.
CGI-Quality  +   1057d ago
He isn't "too cool" for sequels (if you read the article), his story in HR is already told. I'm glad he doesn't want to drag it on just "for the sake" of a sequel; there are enough sequels out there as it is.

However, I agree that he's use many of HR's assets in his next title(s).
jriquelme_paraguay  +   1057d ago
Just name the game similar :)
Like Demons Souls, and Dark Soul... Soul Calibur, Soul Edge

Heavy Snow, or, Bloody Rain
#7 (Edited 1057d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
WhiteLightning  +   1057d ago
The only down side to this though is that they could make a game with a great memorable character and we wouldn't see him/her again because they don't do sequels. Imagine seeing the characters in Uncharted for the first time and ND said they wern't going to do a sequel. Great potential characters...wasted.
CGI-Quality  +   1057d ago
It's not necessarily potential wasted if the story is already told. In Uncharted, the story wasn't finished, allowing for Among Thieves and now Drake's Deception. HR was a completely different beast, therefore the scenarios aren't really comparable.
#8.1 (Edited 1057d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
WhiteLightning  +   1057d ago
I think you could class the ending of Drakes Fortune as an ending if there was only going to be one.

The games don't really continue from each other because it's not one big story, each game has a differen't story that Drake goes on. The only thing they do is reference past games.

In Drakes Fortune he defeated the bad guy, got the girl and became rich with the treausre they found. Seems like a good ending to me if that game was a one off.

EDIT:

"Still, that's even more of a reason why HR doesn't need a sequel."

Never said there needed to be a sequel to HR, I;m just talking about characters that they COULD create in the future.
#8.1.1 (Edited 1057d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report
cogniveritas  +   1057d ago
A great surprise would be to see a character from a previous game show up in a completely differently titled game as a lesser character or antagonist if the timeline and setting allowed it. That would allow a compromise for seeing someone memorable again.
CGI-Quality  +   1057d ago
HR truly is one shot story, Uncharted's story wasn't even as powerful, although sure, you could have ended it after Drake's Fortune. Still, that's even more of a reason why HR doesn't need a sequel. Frankly, it's good that it isn't getting one; the story's told.
#8.3 (Edited 1057d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
CGI-Quality  +   1057d ago
There's no need to introduce characters from one game into an entirely different IP just for the sake of saving characters. Why create characters from HR to put into a new IP? You aren't making sense. Where's the point in that? Where would they fit? Makes no sense.
Kran  +   1057d ago
Then at least make another game, different story, different atmosphere (maybe even a comedy horror or something) with the same controls.
mook1022  +   1057d ago
Any game with Madison in it and I'm sold...Tiger ggggrrrroooowwwllll!!!! ;-)
Relientk77  +   1057d ago
This generation needs new IPs anyway (no more shoooters) we need adventure games, platformers, rpg, action, anything thats not a shooter were overstocked in that genre lol

Maybe eventually they can go back to Heavy Rain, but for now make a new IP
showtimefolks  +   1057d ago
I guess in a way this is how its suppose to be for some developers
Because every publisher prefers Sequels because they are name brand and sell well even if you don't advertise, because people kind of feel attached to them(uncharted 1,2,3,gears1,2,3,halo etc,,,,)

I still have my copy of indigo prophecy and heavy rain 2 of my fav games. Did you know David Cage approached Microsoft for heavy rain IP and the answer was NO.

Look at over the past year how many developers say great things about being sony's 1st party studios or having a great partnership with sony because of how open PSN and how sony is willing to take HUGE risks with some of these IP's(heavy rain,infamous,little big planet etc,,,,)

One thing i wish we would have gotten more was DLC for heavy rain INSTEAD of MOVE support. But whatever David cage is working on i am sure it will be ps3 exclusive there was already some old news about his new game being also for sony so can't wait to check it out even if its ps3,xbox360 and pc. David cage brings something new and fresh and i personally can't wait to check it out.

Last but not least heavy rain sold over 2 million which is a great number for the kind of game it was. If you have not played it go buy it NEW for under 20 bucks to support the devs and enjoy one of the better games on any console
Acquiescence  +   1057d ago
It's a good mentality to have...
The industry is overly reliant and inundated with sequels, and too few studio heads are willing to take the risk with a new IP and just go for the easier option of trying to establish a franchise instead. Video games need more people like David Cage and I wholly support him in his next venture, just like I did with Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain.
Magnus  +   1057d ago
Heavy Rain was a great game great story I wouldn't mind a sequel to Heavy Rain like do one sequel call the game done. Seriously the game warrants a sequel shame it's not coming.
Venjense  +   1057d ago
Good luck to this guy, that's exactly was publishers don't want - big name developers. They want big name studios that they can control completely, where no one person makes or breaks it.
ZBlacktt  +   1057d ago
When something is "really" good. You support it. Doesn't mean milk it dry. But people come to love characters, movies, themes. novels and series. Starting over every time is going to lead to a lot of disinterest. He'll figure that out very quickly.
#16 (Edited 1057d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
smashcrashbash  +   1057d ago
They need to make a SIMS like game only more adult and gritty like HR. Imagine a SIMS game with the same realism of HR where you can get married, have children, try to keep your spouse happy, get a divorce, comit adultery, murder your neighbor, steal, commit crimes, have a mistress, become either a loving parent or a low life scumbag, become big business man or a failure.Even have nudity and violence just like HR.

@ ZBlacktt their are novels that have diffferent characters in every book and that doesn't stop people from buying them. A mature person doesn't cling to characters and throw a tantrum when the author decides to take a character away or do a different story. HR's story was finished and its time for a new one not to try and drag out the story like so many developers do. Do you think they should make a SOTC 2 where the boy fights 16 more Colossuses? No, because that cheapens the experience.
#17 (Edited 1057d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
gillri  +   1057d ago
preferred HR to farenehit

but Shenmue was incredible
theunleashed64  +   1057d ago
great interview and i wouldn't mind them being first party. in the end it means more resources meaning more better games. greatly interested in what quantic is brewing up.

M15 Intro Pack Review: Will of the Masses | VGU

43m ago - With the core set of Magic the Gathering now available, bringing some new and old cards into the... | Culture

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax-Sho, Minazuki, and Shadow Labrys Trailers

1h ago - Sho, Minazuki, and Shadow Labrys take center stage in the newest Persona 4 Arena Ultimax trailers. | Xbox 360

Red Baron Kickstarter Postmortem & Damon Slye Interview

1h ago - Brad Jones writes: "Late last year, flight simulator legend Damon Slye returned to the genre with... | PC

Australia getting “Xbox, on” command in September

1h ago - In just a few weeks, Australians will be able to experience the joy that is your console being wo... | Xbox One

Start Making Games for the PS4

Former Dota 2 Champs Na'Vi Continue to Lose Players, Announce Puppey as a Free Agent

1h ago - After Na’Vi, former champion of Dota 2′s International Tournament, announced Monday that they wer... | PC