Submitted by thegamefanatics 1191d ago | news

Introducing Sony Entertainment Network

Beginning today, Sony will be updating a lot of things in the PlayStation Network, including the introduction of Sony Entertainment Network. Read on to find out what the SEN is all about. (PS3, Sony)

Alternative Sources
JoGam  +   1191d ago
Cool.
GamersRulz  +   1191d ago
nice, Sony seems to get their acts together.
Legion  +   1191d ago
"Sony has reiterated that all of the services on PlayStation devices will be unchanged and that there will be no changes to prices or functionality."

So with that statement then why are people lauding this as something cool or Sony getting their act together? Didn't they basically say... they aren't changing anything?

It is about as cool as WWF changing to WWE.
#2.1 (Edited 1191d ago ) | Agree(22) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
cl1983  +   1191d ago
Well they are trying to stop you from joining a class action lawsuit from them being hacked.
0321  +   1190d ago
Yeah but WWE HAD to change their name because of the World Wildlife Foundation lawsuit. Sony just did this because they wanted to, Is something new going to come out of this? Who knows but its best to not get your hopes up.
Legion  +   1190d ago
And some would say Sony HAD to do this due to the multiple lawsuits that arose after the hacking and data issue.

The main point of this update was consolidating all monetary transactions into an international base, and to setup a new required acceptance of TOS that tries to cover suits brought about by class action lawsuits.
Kurt Russell  +   1190d ago
"It is about as cool as WWF changing to WWE"

lol :D
DragonKnight  +   1191d ago
So is this why I haven't been able to add funds to my account for 2 days? I wish that Sony would send PM's to every PSN account telling us about these things so that people, like me, don't get frustrated and spend hours looking for solutions to these problems. Doesn't frickin' help that the Account Management site has been "down for maintenance" since April. *Sigh*

I love my PS3 and Sony, but sometimes they are just WAY too slow with information.
Szarky  +   1191d ago
Account Management site as in website or the menu on the XMB? I've had no problems at all in the menu through XMB changing and checking different things.

I do like the PM idea though, and not just for service outages but also for big game releases or sales on PSN. I'm surprised they haven't done that ever, sent messages that is.
#3.1 (Edited 1191d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
DarkTower805  +   1191d ago
They don't pm EVER for 1 reason: It takes away the guessing when someone claiming to be a Sony rep is actually a scammer trying to get personal info. This is why Sony only sends emails.
#3.1.1 (Edited 1191d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(0) | Report
Szarky  +   1191d ago
a-ha. Yeap, that'd be it.
Dark_king  +   1191d ago
@DarkTower805 People should know if the message is from Sony its says so in the account name.Sony can and have sent message before and should send them to let people know these things.I would love to get messages telling me that something is on sell.The message can even have a link to the item on the store.
Nitrowolf2  +   1191d ago
@DarkTower
Well the difference between Sony PSN messages and Scammers is that Sony has a Trademark Image in the title
room414  +   1191d ago
"They don't pm EVER"
they have for ps+
DarkTower805  +   1191d ago
Well I stand corrected. I thought I remember reading that if Sony ever wanted to contact you they would do so through email. I've never gotten an email from Sony that I remember, but I've gotten a few from phishing scams.
#3.1.6 (Edited 1191d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
radphil  +   1191d ago
"So is this why I haven't been able to add funds to my account for 2 days? "

Weird, cause I just added funds yesterday with no problem for WKC2 stuff.
DragonKnight  +   1191d ago
@Szarky. Here, check this website out.

That site WAS where you could manage your PSN account settings online without needing to use your PSP or PS3. However it's been down since the PSN hack in April. And I don't know why they haven't done that either.

@radphil: That's exactly what I wanted to buy. Two days ago however I was first met with a "your information is invalid" which only occurs for 2 reasons. Either A) It is invalid, or B) You don't have enough money to add (I use a prepaid credit card that's never failed me and that I don't have to worry about since no one can steal money that isn't there, I used it to renew my DCUO subscription 3 days ago).

So, I deleted my information and re-entered it perfectly down to the last detail. I was then met with the "cannot add funds to your wallet" then eventually "an error occurred (80023120)." I looked up the error and Sony's OFFICIAL explanation is that it means you can't connect to the network, which is false since I can play online. The forums say it's about adding funds, with the general consensus being to just wait it out. I have been having a b*tch of a time finding $20 PSN cards and refuse to buy $50 for $20 worth of DLC. So this is just frustrating the hell out of me.

**EDIT** Also, one time while I was adding to my cart (today actually) it said "this service is under maintenance."
#3.3 (Edited 1191d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Szarky  +   1191d ago
Didn't know about that site, pretty lame it's still down.

Shitty about all your problems. I know when I had problems setting up my account at one point I found out that I was getting errors because of my home address under billing. I had 605-933 (Steet name) but it didn't work so I just went 933 (Street name) and it's been fine ever since.
#3.3.1 (Edited 1191d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report
DragonKnight  +   1191d ago
I tried changing my address info too and nothing. I've seen this happen to others before and the problem can take up to 2 weeks to resolve itself. *sigh*

I just wish it wasn't so damn hard finding $20 PSN cards. No one around here seems to carry them.
egidem  +   1191d ago
It's also been annoying as well. You can't change your password or manage your account on the sony website. The only place you can do that is on their Quriocity website - From there sign in with your PSN credentials and proceed on. This is the only place so far you can add in funds, redeem codes etc.
gamingdroid  +   1191d ago
As far two weeks back, there where sections of the PlayStation website that still list the famous "maintenance" page.

I still can't reset my password: https://store.playstation.c...

I had to go through an alternate site via qriocity.com

How lame is that?
M-Easy  +   1191d ago
Maybe you couldn't add funds is because you're broke.
DragonKnight  +   1191d ago
Yeah, that must be it. *rolls eyes*

Why would you bother making stupid responses? Seriously.
gamingdroid  +   1191d ago
Maybe you couldn't provide a proper response because you are d*mb?
DebateMaster  +   1191d ago
or they got priority issues
Solidus187-SCMilk  +   1190d ago
I not sure if this will help you but you can buy an online PSN money card( I got my code from amazon.com) and add the funds to your wallet through the store. I did this yesterday and bought resident evil 2.

Heres one, they will give you the code right away and you enterit in the store by clicking the thing that looks like a pencil next to your cart in the top right corner:

Never mind it said my link "looks like spam." But you can find it on amazon/target/bestbuy etc. They recently started selling online PSN money cards. Ive gotten 3 of them from amazon over the last 2 weeks and it works fast and great.
#3.6 (Edited 1190d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
iamnsuperman  +   1191d ago
Good idea to build up a bigger playstation brand.
SuperStrokey1123  +   1191d ago
I guess we will see what comes from this in the future, as of right now the only thing thats actually happened is that people are simple saying the wont get in on class action lawsuits which in reality does nothing for gamers yet... We shall see though.
maverick1191  +   1191d ago
omg cross game chat is here!!!!

sorry just had to say it
hiredhelp  +   1191d ago
So is home. And 4 way video chat sorry. Had to say it ;)
#6.1 (Edited 1191d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Huwmor  +   1191d ago
Soooo, no actual changes? They just want us to agree to not sue them in the future. Makes sense to me. I wouldn't want everyone suing me either.
#7 (Edited 1191d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Neomic  +   1191d ago
Thanks for all of the feed back guys. I appreciate it!
outwar6010  +   1191d ago
they have been updating aot of things as of late some things not for the best
Agent_hitman  +   1191d ago
Is sony improving the online service to compete with xlive?
MeNoRasta  +   1191d ago
So for now on if you take Sony to court for what ever reason you will no longer be allowed to go online.So Sony can do what ever they please now cos you cant do anything like a dog and its owner lol Enjoy :)
#11 (Edited 1191d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
Legion  +   1191d ago
Not exactly... but if you opt into a class action lawsuits against Sony then they have the option to deny access to PSN.

But not seeing that as an issue because you can always create another account under another name... but hey then you loose those trophies.

But yea... they are sticking that thumb out in a threat to push it down and squeeze your head to see if you will scream mercy.
scottd  +   1191d ago
Its to prevent you from joining a class action lawsuit, you can still sue individually. Also call it what you want its a name change just like last time when they were fixin to go to court over the removal of other OS.In that case they actually said " it wasn't us that removed other OS it was that other company" ( mysteriously named Sony also). Now they can do it again with the upcoming class action suit over the PSN hack. " Oh we didn't get hacked it was that other Sony company" LOL what bull****.
Nitrowolf2  +   1191d ago
Link to where they said something like that about the other OS.

Also they really can't use that as an excuse as records would show that they were indeed named that (countless ToS versions from them are available online)
#12.1 (Edited 1191d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
scottd  +   1190d ago
To make things worseSony managed to slip in on the new TOS that were only buying a license FOR ANYTHING ON PSN!!!! so lucky us everything is now officially rented. Movies, Music, Games DLC and so on and so on.

Heres a link for the Source whores.
Magnus  +   1191d ago
A PS2 emulator would have made a great cool feature to add to the PSN instead of a new terms of service agreement.
KaiokenKid  +   1191d ago
Um, I don't get it. What are they actualy giving us other than new ToS?
Dannehkins  +   1190d ago
Didn't Sony announce this at the IFA conference in Berlin last month or so?

They said they would be bringing all things Sony into one. Howard Stringer was basically saying that we have Sony music and Sony films and Sony Tvs etc and that they would be brought together and the Sony Entertainment Network is part of this.

Makes sense really. I remember them promising this a couple of years back so it goes to show how long it has took to actually start bringing together all things Sony.

Yes, Virginia, There Is Solo Mode For Evolve

6m ago - Solo mode is designed around multiplayer, and surprisingly, this opens up new opportunities. | PC

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 Brand New Screenshots, Coming on PS3, PS4 and PS VITA

6m ago - The new screenshots of the upcoming One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 is here. The game is making its... | PS3

Predicting the next Telltale Games series

7m ago - Destructoid: "So, what's next? The people at Telltale Games are wizards. There's no other exp... | PC

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Review: Going For The Gold I Play Legit

7m ago - "Captain Toad features Colors that pop, and more detail to environments than expected. If this wa... | Wii U

Start Making Games for the PS4

Alien: Isolation Now Available For A Reduced Price On Greenman Gaming

35m ago - Alien: Isolation, the recently released new game based on the Alien franchise, is now available f... | PC