Che Chou, a former 1UP/EGM editor who now works for Turn 10 Studios as a game developer, posted a new hands-on impression of Mass Effect in NeoGAF as "chespace" after ten hours of playing the game. Here are some highlights of his second impression:
• "It just keeps throwing [snip!] at you to do. I'm about 10 hours into the game and I've barely even touched the main quest..."
• "Vehicular combat is also very satisfying. There's also a 'hood view' for the moon buggy... Makes it REALLY immersive when you're exploring new worlds or an ancient ruin..."
• "Different planets have different climate effects. I went to one planet where it was having a meteor shower or something..."
• "Every character in the galaxy has been unique so far, and [snip!] WOW at the graphics/acting/voiceover for the most part... it was like watching a gorgeous CG movie where you can somewhat control the outcome of events."
• "This is next gen RPG folks."
In addition to the second impression, Chou posted a series of short replies to inquiries from other NeoGAF users who had questions about specific aspects of Mass Effect. Highlights:
• "Oh my dear god, this game is amazing so far....wow... I can see myself leaving COD4 in its wrapper until I'm done with Mass Effect." (#58)
• "KOTOR doesn't hold a dying matchstick to Mass Effect so far, simply on the merit of gameplay alone." (#69)
• "Some crappy pics from my crappy phone camera. Seriously does not do Mass Effect justice." (#156)
• "Here's a little note on the space exploration -- it ROCKS. I was jumping around different systems, and I came upon this distress signal. So I decided to check it out..." (#156)
• "The lighting and atmosphere in this game is off the fucking hook. Every planet has its own look, and from what I've seen so far, there are a ton of planets... I've poked around 1 system and have already found 2 really big random worlds." (#156)
• "You can go anywhere. Seriously. Those mountains in the background, you can climb them." (#163)
• "This game is like a modern day Starflight. Except infinitely better." (#169)
• "There are some indoor area backgrounds (like the occasional sign) that might catch your eye, but you will never see jaggies on stuff like character models/faces, vehicles, weapons, etc." (#177)
• "Just another note. The music is fantastic. Total ambient '80s synth a la Vangelis, Cabaret Voltaire and early Front 242 (think Geography LP era). I need this soundtrack!" (#245)
• "Sentinel Worlds is exactly what this game is like." (#265)
See alternative sources for his full replies - his answers to question posted by NeoGAF users are very short except for #156, which includes screenshots from his camera-phone.