Submitted by jonlynch 1514d ago | opinion piece

5 Most Shocking Game Announcements of E3 2011

GPT: "E3 this year was full of games we knew were coming out but it also had some surprises. Every year some company shocks us with something that came from left field. Valve's Left 4 Dead 2 was not expected to be announced when the first game hadn't even been out an entire year. This year there were less shockers but these are five of the more surprising announcements." (3DS, E3, Kirby Mass Attack, Luigi's Mansion 2, Minecraft, Nintendo DS, PS3, PSP, Street Fighter x Tekken, Tomb Raider 2013, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360)

DuskGolem  +   1514d ago
Shouldn't this list wait until E3 is actually over? Two more days and more conferences with developers still.
Parasyte  +   1514d ago
I was thinking the same thing. Pointless article since the convention isn't even over yet.

This was just done for site hits.
RockmanII7  +   1514d ago
I disagree, all the major E3 announcements happen Day 0/1 of E3 and then are shown off on days 2/3 so we should know all of the major surprises already.
user858621  +   1514d ago
Pikmin for the WiiU got announced AFTER the conference so yh save this list until after E3

on topic luigis mansion completely suprised me, never got a chance to play 1, but I wont make that mistake this time around :) and the fact that its coming THIS YEAR is win!!
#1.3 (Edited 1514d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
BeaRye  +   1514d ago
I've been waiting for a Luigi's Mansions sequel. The original was great and family friendly.
stuntman_mike  +   1514d ago
I loved luigis mansion i think i might get a 3ds to get this.
NukaCola  +   1514d ago
I wish this was a Wii game. The original was outstanding and the Wiimote would of been perfect.
stuntman_mike  +   1514d ago
I would have proffered it on the Wii, or even on WiiU that controller has a lot of possibilities especially for finding the ghosts.
SilentNegotiator  +   1514d ago
And then, BAM! Not on the Wii but instead on a single stick handheld. Now they're going to have to use touchscreen and/or severely limited how the light is controlled. I remember that they had a flash type thing in the trailer, probably so you can just tap the screen.

The original was fun. How they could go without a Wii sequel blows my mind. It's the perfect control input.
#2.2 (Edited 1514d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
etowntwo  +   1514d ago
Yeah.... I don't understand how they could not make the sequel for age Wii.
iamnsuperman  +   1514d ago
I would say Far Cry 3. I know Far Cry 2 was well buggy and rubbish but I wasn't expecting any new far Cry at all. I even forgot it existed. I hope they have done a better job
#3 (Edited 1514d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
trainsinrdr  +   1514d ago
far cry 3 was already announced months ago
nnotdead  +   1514d ago
so was Tomb Raider, and GI had a huge preview of it a few months back.
MrKingofVideoGames  +   1514d ago
Kirby was announced in last month's Nintendo Power, too.
VG_Releaser  +   1514d ago
I just wanted to hear something about Killer Instinct. MS needs a good 1st party fighter.
ShyGuy13  +   1514d ago
Minecraft was the most surprising to me. Like seriously, where the hell did that come from?
AEtherbane  +   1514d ago
I agree, which makes this E3 just seem so underwhelming. Not even Sony's Vita or the Wii U made me jump for joy....
Titanz  +   1514d ago
Damn
You must be hard to impress then.
Les-Grossman  +   1514d ago
All of the Conferences are over I believe. Nintendo was the last one
GiggMan  +   1514d ago
It's hard to say what was really surprising to me due to all the leaks and speculation. Halo 4 and Sly 4 would have been a surprise as well as a new smash bros (I think IGN gave that one away due to all the coverage it was getting in the weeks prior).

Cole in Street fighter x Tekken was the surprise for me I guess.
VampiricDragon  +   1514d ago
sly 4
layton 4
dragon quest monsters joker 2
smash bros 4

were the big deals for me

as in brand new announcement
Bolts  +   1514d ago
You call this shocking? This year's E3 totally sucks.
DrillaKid  +   1514d ago
The only genuine surprise this year for me was the price of Vita - I wasnt expecting it to be that competitive. Nintendo could have stolen the show but somehow managed to make the announcement of a new console a low key affair.
#10 (Edited 1514d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
catguykyou  +   1514d ago
Agreed. I will have the 250$ version day one this year. Very excited.
Squall5005  +   1514d ago
Luigi's Mansion a big shock? It would be more shocking if Nintendo came up with a new game instead of recycling their old games and characters over and over.
Knghtz  +   1514d ago
Yeah Nintendo is definitely the only company that recycles their old games... /s
TXIDarkAvenger  +   1514d ago
True, but Luigi's mansion is a sequel not a remake.
jdrman2007  +   1514d ago
Cole on Street Fighter x Tekken was by far the most surprising thing I saw at E3!
sprayNpray  +   1514d ago
was this list made by an 8 year old? I don't agree with a single game on this list.
Septic  +   1514d ago
Haha gotta love this comment:

"Although Lara does sound like she's being raped the action is intense."

Where is the internet po-po!
04soldier  +   1514d ago
yea thats what put me off from that demo of tomb raider... lara was too freightened about everything..

shes supposed to be mummy killing, merc but she ended up sounding like a 12 year old girl in a spooky cave..
kneon  +   1514d ago
While I found her incessant whining highly annoying, you have to keep in mind that at this point in the game she hasn't yet developed into the hardened adventurer we expect of Lara Croft.

She's just a young woman recently shipwrecked and alone on what appears to be a not so friendly island.
#14.1.1 (Edited 1514d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
HINDERIZATION  +   1514d ago
bring The Last Story to the U.S. please!
eagle21  +   1514d ago
Luigi and his darn brother will always get my money...lol. Nintendo gets kudos for LM2!!!
ChronoJoe  +   1514d ago
Half of these weren't announced at E3. They kirby titles been around for months, so has Lara.
alousow  +   1514d ago
how is a mario game shocking its there is always a new mario game
Silly Mammo  +   1514d ago
For those shocked that a new Mario game is coming out, will have their socks blown off when they hear that MW and Madden will have new iterations out next year as well!! =)
Valk  +   1514d ago
You forgot Uncharted
Krakn3Dfx  +   1514d ago
The most shocking thing about E3 so far is how quickly Microsoft abandoned their hardcore gamer base in favor of casual gaming through motion control.

Enjoy Gears 3 and a Halo 1 remake, we're outta here!
SpinalRemains138  +   1514d ago
It's 2011 for fuck sake!
Can G4 TV please get with the time and go HD already!

How can a network which advertises itself as a tech network, only broadcast shows in SD?
DaBadGuy  +   1514d ago
G4 does have an HD channel, I know because I was watching it. It's 1080i. Check your local listings.
TheLastGuardian  +   1514d ago
@Spinal Remain

I have 2 separate channels for G4 TV. Channel 149 is called G4 TV and channel 1149 is G4 HD. Did you just see Stashawk on G4? That game looks like a must buy.
#20.2 (Edited 1514d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
RockmanII7  +   1514d ago
Biggest surprise for me was the MGS HD Collection having Peace Walker and going PS360.
TheLastGuardian  +   1514d ago
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time was my favorite E3 announcement. I've been waiting for Sly 4 since 2005.

I was a bit devestated when I found out Sanzaru games are developing it instead of Sucker Punch but I am still very happy Sly Cooper will finally get a PS3 sequel.
#22 (Edited 1514d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
joshpoppedyou  +   1514d ago
tomb raider was hardly an announcement at E3, its been in magazines for a month or so atleast
Tempjf  +   1514d ago
HALO 4 end of story!

Guild Wars 2 Making Drastic Changes to Fractals With Heart of Thorns Release

1h ago - ArenaNet will be making some drastic changes to Fractals of the Mists with the release of Guild W... | PC

I Appreciate the Arkham Knight's Origin (Spoiler Alert)

1h ago - When Liam first heard the premise of Rocksteady’s then-highly anticipated supposed finale in the... | PS4

VII Things That Final Fantasy VII Cannot Lose!

Now - We’re going to see a lot of changes before the upcoming FFVII - Remake sees the light of day and we should be okay with that. But here is our list... | Promoted post

Final Fantasy Explorers Out January 29th 2016 in Australia

1h ago - Final Fantasy Explorers will be available on January 29th, 2016 in Australia for the Nintendo 3DS. | 3DS

Relic Hunters Zero Targets August Steam Launch

1h ago - Here’s some pretty sweet news for folks who would rather not spend money on Steam at the moment.... | PC

10 Dead Franchises We Hope Rise From The Grave

1h ago - From G4/SyfyGames: Video game franchises are like comic book characters, vampires, and Madonna: t... | Culture