Try our new beta! Click here
Submitted by jonlynch 1635d ago | opinion piece

5 Most Shocking Game Announcements of E3 2011

GPT: "E3 this year was full of games we knew were coming out but it also had some surprises. Every year some company shocks us with something that came from left field. Valve's Left 4 Dead 2 was not expected to be announced when the first game hadn't even been out an entire year. This year there were less shockers but these are five of the more surprising announcements." (3DS, E3, Kirby Mass Attack, Luigi's Mansion 2, Minecraft, Nintendo DS, PS3, PSP, Street Fighter x Tekken, Tomb Raider 2013, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360)

DuskGolem  +   1635d ago
Shouldn't this list wait until E3 is actually over? Two more days and more conferences with developers still.
Parasyte  +   1634d ago
I was thinking the same thing. Pointless article since the convention isn't even over yet.

This was just done for site hits.
RockmanII7  +   1634d ago
I disagree, all the major E3 announcements happen Day 0/1 of E3 and then are shown off on days 2/3 so we should know all of the major surprises already.
user858621  +   1634d ago
Pikmin for the WiiU got announced AFTER the conference so yh save this list until after E3

on topic luigis mansion completely suprised me, never got a chance to play 1, but I wont make that mistake this time around :) and the fact that its coming THIS YEAR is win!!
#1.3 (Edited 1634d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
BeaRye  +   1635d ago
I've been waiting for a Luigi's Mansions sequel. The original was great and family friendly.
stuntman_mike  +   1634d ago
I loved luigis mansion i think i might get a 3ds to get this.
NukaCola  +   1634d ago
I wish this was a Wii game. The original was outstanding and the Wiimote would of been perfect.
stuntman_mike  +   1634d ago
I would have proffered it on the Wii, or even on WiiU that controller has a lot of possibilities especially for finding the ghosts.
SilentNegotiator  +   1634d ago
And then, BAM! Not on the Wii but instead on a single stick handheld. Now they're going to have to use touchscreen and/or severely limited how the light is controlled. I remember that they had a flash type thing in the trailer, probably so you can just tap the screen.

The original was fun. How they could go without a Wii sequel blows my mind. It's the perfect control input.
#2.2 (Edited 1634d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
etowntwo  +   1634d ago
Yeah.... I don't understand how they could not make the sequel for age Wii.
iamnsuperman  +   1635d ago
I would say Far Cry 3. I know Far Cry 2 was well buggy and rubbish but I wasn't expecting any new far Cry at all. I even forgot it existed. I hope they have done a better job
#3 (Edited 1635d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
trainsinrdr  +   1634d ago
far cry 3 was already announced months ago
nnotdead  +   1634d ago
so was Tomb Raider, and GI had a huge preview of it a few months back.
MrKingofVideoGames  +   1634d ago
Kirby was announced in last month's Nintendo Power, too.
VG_Releaser  +   1635d ago
I just wanted to hear something about Killer Instinct. MS needs a good 1st party fighter.
ShyGuy13  +   1635d ago
Minecraft was the most surprising to me. Like seriously, where the hell did that come from?
AEtherbane  +   1634d ago
I agree, which makes this E3 just seem so underwhelming. Not even Sony's Vita or the Wii U made me jump for joy....
Titanz  +   1634d ago
You must be hard to impress then.
Les-Grossman  +   1634d ago
All of the Conferences are over I believe. Nintendo was the last one
GiggMan  +   1634d ago
It's hard to say what was really surprising to me due to all the leaks and speculation. Halo 4 and Sly 4 would have been a surprise as well as a new smash bros (I think IGN gave that one away due to all the coverage it was getting in the weeks prior).

Cole in Street fighter x Tekken was the surprise for me I guess.
VampiricDragon  +   1634d ago
sly 4
layton 4
dragon quest monsters joker 2
smash bros 4

were the big deals for me

as in brand new announcement
Bolts  +   1634d ago
You call this shocking? This year's E3 totally sucks.
DrillaKid  +   1634d ago
The only genuine surprise this year for me was the price of Vita - I wasnt expecting it to be that competitive. Nintendo could have stolen the show but somehow managed to make the announcement of a new console a low key affair.
#10 (Edited 1634d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
catguykyou  +   1634d ago
Agreed. I will have the 250$ version day one this year. Very excited.
Squall5005  +   1634d ago
Luigi's Mansion a big shock? It would be more shocking if Nintendo came up with a new game instead of recycling their old games and characters over and over.
Knghtz  +   1634d ago
Yeah Nintendo is definitely the only company that recycles their old games... /s
TXIDarkAvenger  +   1634d ago
True, but Luigi's mansion is a sequel not a remake.
jdrman2007  +   1634d ago
Cole on Street Fighter x Tekken was by far the most surprising thing I saw at E3!
sprayNpray  +   1634d ago
was this list made by an 8 year old? I don't agree with a single game on this list.
Septic  +   1634d ago
Haha gotta love this comment:

"Although Lara does sound like she's being raped the action is intense."

Where is the internet po-po!
04soldier  +   1634d ago
yea thats what put me off from that demo of tomb raider... lara was too freightened about everything..

shes supposed to be mummy killing, merc but she ended up sounding like a 12 year old girl in a spooky cave..
kneon  +   1634d ago
While I found her incessant whining highly annoying, you have to keep in mind that at this point in the game she hasn't yet developed into the hardened adventurer we expect of Lara Croft.

She's just a young woman recently shipwrecked and alone on what appears to be a not so friendly island.
#14.1.1 (Edited 1634d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
HINDERIZATION  +   1634d ago
bring The Last Story to the U.S. please!
eagle21  +   1634d ago
Luigi and his darn brother will always get my Nintendo gets kudos for LM2!!!
ChronoJoe  +   1634d ago
Half of these weren't announced at E3. They kirby titles been around for months, so has Lara.
alousow  +   1634d ago
how is a mario game shocking its there is always a new mario game
Silly Mammo  +   1634d ago
For those shocked that a new Mario game is coming out, will have their socks blown off when they hear that MW and Madden will have new iterations out next year as well!! =)
Valk  +   1634d ago
You forgot Uncharted
Krakn3Dfx  +   1634d ago
The most shocking thing about E3 so far is how quickly Microsoft abandoned their hardcore gamer base in favor of casual gaming through motion control.

Enjoy Gears 3 and a Halo 1 remake, we're outta here!
SpinalRemains138  +   1634d ago
It's 2011 for fuck sake!
Can G4 TV please get with the time and go HD already!

How can a network which advertises itself as a tech network, only broadcast shows in SD?
DaBadGuy  +   1634d ago
G4 does have an HD channel, I know because I was watching it. It's 1080i. Check your local listings.
TheLastGuardian  +   1634d ago
@Spinal Remain

I have 2 separate channels for G4 TV. Channel 149 is called G4 TV and channel 1149 is G4 HD. Did you just see Stashawk on G4? That game looks like a must buy.
#20.2 (Edited 1634d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
RockmanII7  +   1634d ago
Biggest surprise for me was the MGS HD Collection having Peace Walker and going PS360.
TheLastGuardian  +   1634d ago
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time was my favorite E3 announcement. I've been waiting for Sly 4 since 2005.

I was a bit devestated when I found out Sanzaru games are developing it instead of Sucker Punch but I am still very happy Sly Cooper will finally get a PS3 sequel.
#22 (Edited 1634d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
joshpoppedyou  +   1634d ago
tomb raider was hardly an announcement at E3, its been in magazines for a month or so atleast
Tempjf  +   1634d ago
HALO 4 end of story!

Want to Stream PC Games to Mobile? Use Moonlight Game Streaming App

1m ago - SegmentNext - If you’re looking for a solution to stream PC games to your mobile devices, give M... | PC

Anxiety: Lost Night - Start Your Car. Stay Alive.

1m ago - Something's outside your car, slowly plodding toward you. It'll kill you. You know that. The car... | PC

HotLiked - What the Internet is talking about right now

Now - Kill some time at You will regret it... | Promoted post

This Fallout 4 Exploit Gets You 10,000 XP Every Minute on Consoles

1m ago - SegmentNext - So you are playing Fallout 4 on consoles but are feeling bad about the fact there w... | PS4

Best Levels in Gaming History - Volume Fifteen

2m ago - SPC writes, "Happy Thanksgiving from SuperPhillip Central! If you recall last Thanksgiving, Super... | Wii

Gears Of War Is 50% Off on Xbox One

2m ago - Gears Of War Ultimate Edition is 50% on Amazon this Black Friday weekend. At just $20 you can get... | Gears of War: Ultimate Edition