Submitted by toaster 1312d ago | article

Today's FPS games need 'awesome multiplayer' - Crytek

Not all games need multiplayer to succeed in today's market, but FPS titles do. (Culture)

Alternative Sources
Tinasumsum  +   1312d ago
So the hyping of these super titles begins.
velocitygamer  +   1311d ago
They won't be saying this if MW2 or CoD 4 didn't come out.
toaster  +   1312d ago
Hm, I love Crytek games but sometimes they say the dumbest shit ever.

This is coming from a dev that has made SP games for the good part of their existence. I honestly hope they don't make a shoddy and gimped SP campaign in favor of tacked on multiplayer, just what we need is another crap MP game right? /s

Long Live Singleplayer!!
#2 (Edited 1312d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
MintBerryCrunch  +   1312d ago
they say this now, but i bet that the MP will be gimped and the SP will be much more interesting since people found the first game could have done a better job at making a more fleshed out SP campaign
Calm Down Sunshine  +   1312d ago
Don't they have Crytek UK working on the multiplayer aspect of Crysis 2?

Crytek UK previously known as Free Radical.. I'm sure they can handle multiplayer.
Jonoc33  +   1312d ago
Crytek hired Free Radical to make Crysis 2's multiplayer. Free Radical spent the good part of their existence making multiplayer games. So don't worry.
Fred-G-Sanford  +   1312d ago
"Free Radical spent the good part of their existence making multiplayer games."

Yeah, but they also made Haze. lol
Jonoc33  +   1310d ago
good point, but everyone makes mistakes, right?
guigsy  +   1312d ago
Most FPS games need MP to keep people playing, especially when the campaign is like 8 hours long. Games like Half-life are an exception to the rule.
DeadlyFire  +   1312d ago
If you think about it though HL provided MP gamers with an option to mod their game and Counter-Strike was born. Game mods keep people playing. MP is nice too, but if gamers can't mod their game, make their own levels, models, tweaks, modifications, and express themselves in a creative way. Then there is no self expression or freedom to Multiplayer and enjoymeant of a boxed in game engine is limited and often makes gamers just jump to another more interesting game when they find it and forget all about that other game.
Shackdaddy836  +   1312d ago
I hope that doesnt mean the Sp sucks. I dont think it will suck but you never know until the game actually comes out.
Quagmire  +   1312d ago
Is there any FPS game this gen which doesnt have a MP?
#4 (Edited 1312d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Solidus187-SCMilk  +   1312d ago
Bioshock 1 and.....
maybe some other game too, cant think of another.
Vorgier  +   1312d ago
Multiplayer in Bioshock Infinite COULD work since its being made by the original developers.

I liked B2 multiplayer a lot, but it could have been so much better. Same goes with the SP.

They could do that in BInf and still focus strongly on the SP.

Or do like most do. End up skimping on the SP because there is MP to worry about.
#4.1.1 (Edited 1312d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report
SnakeMustDie  +   1312d ago
I hope they maintain a balance between SP and MP. I don't want to pay for a game with a great multi but shitty SP.
#5 (Edited 1312d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Solidus187-SCMilk  +   1312d ago
WRONGGGGGGGGGGGG
We need more Single player ONLY FPS that focus all of their attention on the single player game.

I LOVE FPS, my favorite type of games....and my favorite FPS and 2 favorite games ever were for their single player. Half-Life1 and Deus Ex.
enkeixpress  +   1312d ago
Of course.

If there isn't any MP, The consumer sells the game after completion.
fastNslowww  +   1312d ago
why don't these idiots STFU..they have yet to make a killer multiplayer game, these guys brag like they're the best..when all they excel at is graphics. STFU and make Crysis 2 good..less talk fuck heads.
Thrillhouse  +   1312d ago
All they excel at is graphics?

Did you even play Crysis? Because the gameplay in that is incredible.
Vorgier  +   1312d ago
Eh, I thought it was decent. I wouldn't play through it again though.

The story was pretty mediocre, and the gameplay was pretty standard aside from the suit I guess.

OMG ALIENS!

Original.
Tachyon_Nova  +   1312d ago
Omg Aliens worked for Killzone... It sure had nothing else going for it. The only things I remember from kz2 were a nuke going off, fighting a lame arse teleporting final boss, someone saying "Sev, Garza, where the f*ck did you guys get to" (Best line ever though), and fighting off wave after wave of enemies.

The good thing about Crysis is that you get to choose how many enemies you fight effectively. If you go in stealthily picking the guys off one by one then you'll be all good. But if you alert them (ie throwing grenades, getting seen, being heard etc) then they will call in reinforcements.
#8.1.2 (Edited 1312d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(2) | Report
dragonyght  +   1312d ago
@Tachyon_Nova they are no alien in Killzone nice try lol
drsnobby  +   1312d ago
They have some big shoes to fill.they have yet to prove themselves.
#9 (Edited 1312d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Corrwin  +   1312d ago
No, FPSs don't need multiplayer. They need AMAZING Multiplayer.

Singularity, Bioshock 2, Dark Athena are all games that could have benefited from cutting the mediocre multiplayer and devoting those resources to making the best singleplayer experience possible.

A fantastic singleplayer game with middling multi makes an OK game. But a fantastic singleplayer game is still a fantastic game.
TABSF  +   1312d ago
Well Crysis and Crysis Warhead SP were amazing in my opinion and the MP such as power struggle is really good.

I did 7 playthroughs of Crysis
and 3 playthroughs of Crysis Warhead

I only did 2 playthroughs of Halo 3
and 3 playthroughs of Uncharted 2

Crysis is a lot better than people think (most make judgements without playing), its not just about the best graphics to date either.

Also Crysis in no where near as linear as most 1st party console games, sorry just had to add that, I got all Systems and played most of the games, in my opinion I can make that judgement.
(it is no A - B Corridor game)

CryEngine 3 - Realtime, all the time
PC it only does everything
#11 (Edited 1312d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Spinal  +   1312d ago
Yeah Crysis was a Great game not just graphics it had great AI at the time an it was far more Open world than any uncharted an killzone which were Linear games.

I remember in crysis I was being attacked by a helicopter which took me a long while to finally snipe the copter down. The helicopter crashed in the mountain and started to roll down the hill with alot of tree's and debris that came down an killed me. (as i was hiding under a tree) These things u wouldnt see in alot of other games.
#12 (Edited 1312d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
LordLaguz  +   1312d ago
what about half-life 1 & 2? half life 2 only had hl2 deathmatch, and that was a plus, not the main content, most of the online content where mods, such as counter strike, golden eye source, zombie master and synergy

Gecco Ground Zeroes Snake statue shown, details announced

20m ago - Some details on Gecco's Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes Snake PVC statue, set for release next... | Culture

Destiny Game Official Trailer Collection – Continuously Updated

20m ago - I collect the destiny official trailer video, just like a movie, what do you think? | Xbox 360

Get a 3DS XL For Free in Canada When You Activate A Samsung Galaxy S4

20m ago - Nintendo of Canada is giving away Nintendo 3DS XL’s when you activate a Samsung GALAXY S4 at Targ... | 3DS

The Swapper Review | Entertainium

20m ago - Still on the fence about The Swapper? Don't worry, you've got another chance to grab it - it's ou... | PC

Win a Titan One from N4G and ConsoleTuner!

Now - We're giving away three Titan Ones from ConsoleTuner (original inventors of the Cronus and CronusMAX)! The Titan One device makes modded controller... | Promoted post

Gamerscore Whores Podcast EP22: V*gina Paste

44m ago - Don't let the title name fool you, there is a genuine reason why this title is in this weeks epis... | PS4