Submitted by Xanatos2000 1327d ago | opinion piece

In Defense of Final Fantasy XIII

Paul from DamnLag writes: "Fans had high expectations going into this game, and there were quite a few who felt that their expectations were not met. Not only is this normal for a new installation in a series that’s been around as long as Final Fantasy, but it’s also expected when changes are introduced that are as drastic as those in XIII. I understand where the hate comes from, I just flat out disagree with it." (Final Fantasy XIII, PS3, Xbox 360)

Mastersnake10  +   1327d ago
Seriously. Thank you for this.

People got so caught up in the lack of towns that they ignored how the battle system was more innovative than any other FF (once you got past the auto-battle in the beginning of course).
VersusEM  +   1327d ago
I totally agree, does towns REALLY matter, so I guess if there are no towns in any games means equals automatic fail, or "yeah Final Fantasy XIII didn't live up to my exceptions so it sucks"-yeah great attitude. I personally loved Final Fantasy XIII, the gameplay was fast paced and fun, story was solid and graphics were beautiful.
#1.1 (Edited 1327d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(20) | Report | Reply
LordMe  +   1327d ago
I think the game was decent. But I just wish I could control the entire party, since the computer won't play along with my plans very well.
The story and graphics were great.
#1.1.1 (Edited 1327d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(7) | Report
ikkokucrisis  +   1327d ago
I'm going to have to disagree and hate. Because really, all I was doing for the first 3 hours of my life in this game was pressing 'X' on my controller in battles. Seriously, I understand you want to gradually get the player up to speed with things, but there is such a thing as TOO gradual!

After that though, the game does start to really shine, but very bad game design choice in beginning!!
karl  +   1327d ago
what? with that kind of thought we only press 3 more bottoms

and up down left and right =S wtf

u need to select attacks with this battle system.. of course u would end up using X a lot

it was really complex though...

i still think it was a game lacking a lot... (yeah towns included) but the battle system was really complex and well done..

i died countless times and had to plan a different strategy every time.. and press X like a million times by the end of the game.. LOL
zireno  +   1327d ago
@ikkokucrisis

I'm with you on this one, I managed to get to chapter 11 and I have no idea how I did it, those were the most boring 15+ hours of my life. Once you get past the pretty visuals there's nothing to back this game up. I mean, it plays itself. Got it for 20 bucks and I regret it.
RedDead  +   1327d ago
Same, this is my argument against it a few days ago.

""""& quot ;"""Sorry, Aghost, but I hated FFXIII, it may be my most disliked game in the last 10 years. I think it's the first game I ever conciously/decided to stop playing due to boredom. I was told to wait till chapter 11 till it got good, that was 20 Fu**ing hours and after all that crap it was not any better, it was still the same sh** except the field was now open in one area.

You see the problem is it had no breaks from battles besides cutscenes. And every battle for the first 20 hours besides boss fights was the same thing over and over again. Although Boss battles where good I think, they involved a little more srategy than, libra/Auto/Auto/auto/P.shift. The reason past FF's didn't get boring was because you had breaks from battles, FF10= Temple puzzles, blitzball, towns. FF7= alot of minigames, that Phoenix tower, towns. FF8=cards, towns.

Also, the characters are the most annoying in any RPG i've played, especially that spanner Snow and his crew Nora(thank god they weren't in it for almost the whole game after the first few chapters)

The enemy was truely below other FF standards, Baldanders was an emotionless piece of crap, I just didn't care what so ever for him. I didn't hate him or like him, I just didn't care.

What else have I got for it...? The new sphere grid was linear until ages into it.

THe story was alright, the music was probably the only thing on FF standards. But even that wasn't as good as about half the previous ff's.

Edit----I watched the rest of the game's cutscenes over youtube after I stopped playing by the way(halfway through C11) """"" """"" & quot;"

Battle system was good after a while, but it wasn't good enough to want to do nothing but battle for the whole game. It got boring pretty quickly
#1.1.5 (Edited 1327d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report
BISHOP-BRASIL  +   1327d ago
I think we all agree it isn't a great game but not a crap one too. It just didn't lived up to what we expected from it. And wordt of all, although we'll never know for sure is SE underdelivered because of 360 or not, the 360 space constrains of DVD format can be related to most of what we have complained, plus it made the game get delayed for a multiplat on release status on western.

The game definetely had it's good points. The graphics are good, the art style is great, the story isn't the worst on a FF game, the battle system is pretty good although many people still prefer the classic gameplay or at least a option to control the entire party.

But we can't deny the cons here, it not only lack towns, it lacks the immersion feel you got from being part of a world. Talking to more NPCs was about getting to know what's going on in their world, have the story's background, taking on simple quests that was about commons citizens needs (not everything have to be about put your neck in danger in a dungeon to get a key story iten and defy a story related boss). In other FF it was interesting to see how what you do interfere with common peoples' lifes as you can go and get the feedback yourself just asking them. The town's situation would usually interfere with what you can do there so it also added complexity of being in a place where, for example, merchants have better of some itens or services while lacking others, were people warmly accept you or places were they want you to leave, places where you have to something else in other place to be able to access,

Towns aren't just towns, they are the people in it, it's culture, it's architeture, it's sounds... They have the potential to make the game's universe a lot more rich and complex.

The simple lack of towns make the game lacks in things to do when not progressing through story. So you are either defeating bosses and progressing or leveling up to be able to defeat bosses and progress. It's very linear objective wise and some people don't consider this too much fun, specially in RPGs, as the gameplay itself isn't the biggest enterteinment of the world (you are basically choosing between limited options).

If were a reviewer I would of had give this a 7~8 (good but no where near from great) judging it for what it is, but as a gamer I don't think it's worthy more than 30 bucks, much less the 60 it costed on release date, so I can understand people's frustation back in the day, it was just natural to be angry at a full priced game that lacked so many former great thing from the franchise. I actually plan on buying it down the road (I just never happened to find it used and most stores here don't have it new anymore too, the few that have still hold it at near full price - around 105 USD, 175 BRL, the full price here is 200 BRL)
AAACE5  +   1327d ago
People bashed FFXIII for everything they could just to make it seem like going multiplat was a bad idea, even though the game sold about 4 million units on Ps3 and about 2 million on 360.

Personally, I liked and still own FFXIII! Truthfully, with the way things are going, it looks like we will hear an announcement about FFXIII Versus going multiplat as well!

Same thing happened with XIII! They pulled it out of the spotlight for a while and then we got the announcement at E3! Same could be in the works for this one as well, except it will release for both consoles in every region.
DaTruth  +   1326d ago
That pretty much says it all! The people who didn't like it, didn't know how to play it! If you feel it was boring and it played itself, you weren't playing it right!

It was on my second playthrough that I realized how bad I was at the game the first time around and I didn't pick it up till near the end!

There actually is two endings to the game. One is the main story ending and one is the trophy hunt that plays more like an RPG and after two 100 hour playthroughs I still haven't finished it. The last guy is a serious b1tch!
Max Power  +   1327d ago
Here is my problem with the battle system...I hate how your medics won't over heal you, they'll try and heal you to you exact max HP instead of over healing you, which is slow and stupid. I also hate the delay between the Paradigms, why do I have to watch a magic field appear on my team one after the other (for the first shift) when the enemy can attack me during that time? I am sure there are more, but right now those are my two major problems with the battle system in Final Fantasy XIII, other than the back and forth in the beginning. Other than those few grips, I am enjoying the game so far, actually I beat it already, but I have two more trophies to get until the Platinum, Treasure Hunter and Superstar, and I should get those tomorrow.
#1.2 (Edited 1327d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Redempteur  +   1327d ago
"why do I have to watch a magic field appear on my team one after the other (for the first shift) when the enemy can attack me during that time?"

please play the game .
the ennemy can't attack you during the shift anmation.
And no you don't even lose you progress with the action bar
Max Power  +   1327d ago
Yes, they can attack you during the shift animation, I get hit all the time against Shoalong Gui when I shift paradigms.
Redempteur  +   1327d ago
in that case you're doing it wrong ...

never happenned to me
Max Power  +   1326d ago
How am I doing it wrong? I switch my Paradigms when I need to, is there a correct way to do that? Maybe it is because I had the battle speed on fast, not normal? Well, I guess it doesn't matter to me anymore I just got the Platinum this morning.
#1.2.4 (Edited 1326d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
Simon_Brezhnev  +   1327d ago
the story was extremely weak and the most annoying characters i ever played in a video game.
iamtehpwn  +   1327d ago
How to make FFXIII Better:
- Party member switching mid-battle
- Party configuration from start of the game
- Make Gran Pulse and Cocoon one planet. This way Gran Pulse could've served as an Overworld connecting Previous environments allowing you backtrack (requiring a lot of rewriting of the story, but still).
- Remove Autobattle, Manual inputs and add more strategy.
- well.. some Towns, Dammit.
Lionalliance  +   1327d ago
The Battle system was ok.
But the rest was total MEH!
Marceles  +   1327d ago
Honestly the battle system is the absolutely only thing that kept me into the game, if it wasn't for it I would've passed on platinuming it. In most RPGs, you start off by pushing only one button for a long time until you level up. Later on in the game you'll get destroyed for using the auto function.
Turkish   1327d ago | Spam
VersusEM  +   1327d ago
Finally someone is standing up to the haters. I've been saying this for years, all Final Fantasy games are liner except for XII.
#2 (Edited 1327d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(13) | Report | Reply
Godmars290  +   1327d ago
Though linear, all FF games before XIII were able to hide it. Offered world maps you wondered on while going from point A to B of the plot. Were comparable to a degree to Metroid in that vehicles and Chocobos allowed access to priorly restricted areas.
giantchicken  +   1327d ago
I'm sure the game gets great eventually but if it takes me ten hours to get into it it's not worth it. That's what people don't like about this one.
Buffniceguy  +   1327d ago
I disagree with this article sorry I bought the game completed the whole thing and felt so stupid for buying it the writing was god awful the script made me cringe at every word spoken by the cast.
#4 (Edited 1327d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
Bolts  +   1327d ago
Only a blind fanboy would defend this game. It's utter trash. Leave it up to Square to focus on aesthetic designs and absurd emo-meldodramatic nonesense over solid RPG design and gameplay.

Once upon a time JRPGs were just as feature packed and inovative as their western counterparts. It would be nice if a Japanese dev would realize this and crank out something that can compete with the Mass Effect and Fallout that dominate the market instead of making more JRPGs with the pretties boys possible.

So far Demon Soul is the only JRPG that gets it.
#4.1 (Edited 1327d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
HereticDan  +   1327d ago
yes if only they had given us the freedom to wander around and see all the dungeons which are barely distinguishable from each other and had included characters so doped up on steroids and what was with that stupid kid crying just because his mother was murdered 20 feet in front of him? what a pussy. When well SE go back to it's quality days where they give us a plot where nobody is bothered by anything traumatic and responds only with grim indifference or gallows humor. You know, A REAL PLOT
Kinetix  +   1327d ago
loved the game. Few trophys away from a platinum. And I only do that to games that I really like. Battle system and enviroment are great although the story could of definitely been better.
tplarkin7  +   1327d ago
It's "could have" or "could've", not "could of".
HereticDan  +   1327d ago
That was important and needed to be said.
Coolmanrico  +   1327d ago
Don't need to defend it. I loved it from begin to end. I found it better than FF 12. Can't wait for the next one. If anyone was disappointed, Oh well.
BigDollarZoe954  +   1327d ago
I Agree On That One
Kinetix  +   1327d ago
I conpletely agree on the ff12 comment. Ff12 was 100x worse than ff13 in every way. As of matter of fact I only bought it because of scores it received from trusted sites. Oh well, I wonder why this one receieved much more harsh feedback? Hmmmm?
Lionalliance  +   1327d ago
really? I thoguht FFXIII was a huge step back from FFXII.
Buffniceguy  +   1327d ago
I know this sounds mean and you can agree or disagree its fine i know everyone has there preference but to me the game felt like a parody about Final Fantasy.

Final Fantasy 13= Vampires Suck
#7 (Edited 1327d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
BigDollarZoe954  +   1327d ago
Why So Much Hate On This Game I Thought It Was A very good game i played all final fantasy this was different but still good
Lionalliance  +   1327d ago
I can't barely call it good.
It was a huge step back from FFXII.
Not to mention the storytelling was mediocre.
Buffniceguy  +   1327d ago
Its silly to say "Why So Much Hate On This Game" clearly people bought the game and didn't like it and then they are those who do like it. Nothing wrong with a discussion :)

The post below i paid 60$ :(
#9 (Edited 1327d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Dac2u  +   1327d ago
My expectations weren't that high, I had read about the game and thought people were probably being too hard on it. So, I decided to give it a try about a month ago. I didn't have some preconceived notion that the game would rock my socks off, but felt it would be good. The main complaint I heard was that the game was linear until the 20-30 hour mark, I knew I could deal with that. People said it would open up afterward.

There are so many problems with the game, from the characters to the dialogue to the insane linearity and more. I only paid like $13 for the game and I felt cheated. The gameplay isn't the only reason I play an RPG, so stop using that as an excuse to glorify a game. The story was pretty bland, the dialogue was way over dramatic and the deaths of Vanille and Hope would have made the game much, much more pleasant.

I liked the way combat system worked for the most part. However, the combat system was heavily dependent on the AI and the AI was awful. When one of my NPC's was in Saboteur mode, they would cast their usual round of spells, then just stop. Instead of casting to build up to stagger on an enemy, they would just sit there maybe casting one spell at a time. Healing was also a problem, they would never try to keep us at full health. They'd cast a single heal rather than a group heal when we're all less than full health. It was idiotic.

Now, onto the game's linearity... I felt the missions were an after thought. They only appear in the last couple sections of the game. There are barely any cinematics or dialogue involved with them. Other games in the series allowed you to go on far reaching quests into other dungeons with full story lines. In FF6, you could even gain new playable characters. So, no, the earlier games were not linear. Yes, you could run straight though and not do any side quests, but that lessens the enjoyment of the whole game. FFXIII doesn't allow for any of this, it forces you through and near the end says, I guess we'll throw you a bone, have some missions.

FFXIII: 6/10
OddBoxx  +   1327d ago
I applaud you Mr. Paul Cross, great read! I freakin loved Final Fantasy XIII, it was so different from all the other Final Fantasy's, it really felt fresh, and the story was top notch!
RBLAZE1988  +   1327d ago
Fresh is not the word i'd use. After 3 years of non stop hallway shooters, i was not expecting nor did i desire a hallway ff game with a story as dull And predictable as mw2 or a comparable shooter.
#11.1 (Edited 1327d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Lionalliance  +   1327d ago
Story top notch?!
Really?!
Was that sarcasm?!
OddBoxx  +   1327d ago
Umm... it wasn't intended to be sarcasm, idk, I really liked FF13, I'm just easily impressed I guess, it's not very often I find a game I don't like, I can always find a pro amongst all the con's that ends up keeping me playing
SeraphimBlade  +   1327d ago
I do still want to play this. I can't say very much in defense, but it kept striking me as odd when people would say it's too linear. and FFX, which everyone likes (at least in terms of design and gameplay), was...? Granted, the older FFs opened up much more from the get-go, but you still had to go to these places in this order. Until you got an airship, there really wasn't much point to exploration.
R6ex  +   1327d ago
FFXIII: 0/10

Why?

Game was touted to be available on Xbox 360.

Never came to the Asian region.

Damn you, SE!!!
RBLAZE1988  +   1327d ago
What a jack off... Go back to playing gears of war and mass effect 2. Stop trying to change every game to gears or COD because you think every game should be the way you want it instead of having an open mind. FF is FF and for square enix to bastardize the series like that for an extra 1.5 million units is a travesty. It's like if they took halo and turned it into a turn based rpg game. How do you think fans would react to that? You're all hypocrites for defending this game. You only like it because it's closer and closer to what you want. Every game doesn't have to be a corridor game with a lackluster story. Get some standards people and stop demanding every game in every genre conform to the same mechanics. Jeez!!!
#14 (Edited 1327d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
BigDollarZoe954  +   1327d ago
well said
Godmars290  +   1327d ago
FFXIII was a failure of presentation and platform
Simply put, if story plot and characters had been well presented, the linear aspect of the game could be forgiven. People who defend it were able to get involved in it, forgive its flaws, everyone else couldn't.

Likewise as an HD console title, people expected more than a Monster Hunter rip. Where FFVII airships, subs and even cross dressing, XIII was only about fighting with leveling up caps. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon offered more.
Arknight  +   1327d ago
The only way you can like FFXIII is if you didn't experience the earlier entries on the SNES or PS1. FFXIII isn't even in the same league as FFVI....it didn't even feel like Final Fantasy.

I can honestly see how it could have been incredible...you can tell they had to cut out tons of storytelling and background cinematics and replace it with those horrible journal entries. Not to mention that it's just way to convenient that the whole game is linear with no backtracking ever until you get to the end.

I don't have a 360 but I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the whole part at the end of the game where you can actually do missions falls on the last disc of the 360 version....that was the only point in the game where they could let you backtrack without changing discs.

I'm sorry but I will never buy their excuse that the game was not changed to make it work on the 360.
RBLAZE1988  +   1327d ago
Sadly most people won't see the writing on the wall because they don't know how good the games were back then. I also like how people compare no towns in this game to no towns in other games...smh. You guys are all current or last gen gamers if you honestly think this was a superb Final Fantasy installment.
HereticDan  +   1327d ago
Yes if only they had the benefit of your nostalgia filter they'd be able to be more objective
RBLAZE1988  +   1327d ago
Sorry for having expectations of a long standing franchise... You're right, as a fan I should have known they were going to pull the rug out from under me to appeal to the new ADD generation and forget about the rest of the fanbase. When a company only develops a entry to a bestselling franchise every 4-5 years it should be something that the fans have been waiting for.
Lionalliance  +   1327d ago
FFXIII was a huge disappointment.
The lack of towns and the tremendous linearity of the maps was just plain...boring.
guitar_nerd_23  +   1327d ago
thats crap, my expectations wernt that high after 12

i really hope mistwalker give square a good learning on the jrpg with the last story

sure that battle system was kind of ok but quite inflexible at times, unless you knew the exact stratergy b4 going into most bosses you couldnt win there was little oportunity to figure it out on the first go and recover

the story was undeveloped the characters unloved with one exception sash who was cool and ff charm was missing

it wasnt the lack of towns it was the lack of scenario, the lack of freedom to develop characters as you saw fit and the lack of continuity between locations making it feel like patchwork with not much of sense of the scope of the actual game world

im just so glad i have my snes cart of vi, i just need an amneisia pill and then i can rerelease that to myself once ever couple yrs haha

edit: just to come back to 12 a sec im replaying it at the moment and that is better the 2nd time with no expectations, i cant see myself replaying 13 tho once was more than enough
#18 (Edited 1327d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
xGrunty  +   1327d ago
The game still sucks compared to all other Final Fantasy games.

I'll play FFVI again thank you very much.
j-blaze  +   1327d ago
to be honest...
Some people like certain things...I actually DO miss some the old stuff...but i happily embrace the new additions as well. The game is great overall and FFXIII is one of my favorite games this year ...but it certainly could have been better.
#20 (Edited 1327d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
edonus  +   1327d ago
I have no idea of what you guys are playing but FFXIII super sucked. Not having towns had nothing to do with it. It was so vague. In most role playing games and just games in general you get an organic feel to what works and what doesnt. In FFXIII the balance was totally distorted by so many things I would need to right and 3 page essay just to explain.

Basic things that made it (stupid as all hell). You have direct access to one character at a time during battle....this defeats the purpose of leveling everyone up if you find a favorite set up and like them the others have no use. And if the character you use dies the game is over, the way this was implemented is one of the stupidest thing I have ever seen in video game history....I won't even embelish its so many reasons that was wrong it would take to long.

You can't access more than the one character you decided to be summons.

Now call me old school but I always considered summons to be your boost...a super power...something that when called upon kichs @$$. In FFXIII you can call one down against a standard enemy say a dragon walking or a group of goo monsters. Why in the hell doesnt why summon kill these things in one sitting...and in most cases get defeated themselves. What is the purpose of having this big graphic presentation when the danm thing does nothing.

Last one i'll mention (and believe me there are tons) what the F%&$ is up with the garbage leveling system. It seemed like you are just dumping garbage (expensive garbage at that) to slightly level up a weapon that has some kind of basic ability. Nothing meant nothing sure if you used like 3 chipped fangs youed get a multiplier but why and the fiber optic cables and bomb fragments were just numbers they didnt facilitate any real enhancement. You find yourself dumping 20,000 gil worth of parts into a weapon to get 2 extra attack points. Why not give fire materia that adds fire to my sword, instead you got some weird abstract system that you cant really direct what your weapon will become.

We only scratched the surface of the turd which is FFXIII.
xsymbiot  +   1327d ago
I too am a fan of final fantasy xiii. I read through the posts but did not see (could be mistaken) anyone mention anything about the weapons development in this game. Absolutely horrible!!! Its also the only thing stopping me from receiving a completion trophy. The combat started slow, became great, and then repeatative. I personally liked the characters, and as I do agree about towns and the ability to back track I also feel like the lack of towns was justified given the nature of the story. However I hope never to see this again. My only other major gripe is with the music. With other Final Fantasy's up until 12, I found the music very engaging and memorable. I often find myself humming or playing songs from those games in my head. However with FF12 and FF13, although the music is good there is also nothing that truly stands out to me.
Greek God  +   1327d ago
The battle system was bad
Lannient  +   1327d ago
Ridiculous, some Final Fantasy fanboys will eat up anything square throws at them, that or its someone just getting into the FF series. The hate for this game has nothing to do with high expectations, the game was linear point blank(and was missing a ton of content), compare it to the rest of the series, people have legitimate reasons to dislike this game. A whole games worth of content was cut from the game due to it going to the xbox 360 and I will never be cool with that bs http://www.thekoalition.com... how people can just be OK with that is beyond me. If Versus is exclusive I can pretty much guarantee that it will blow FF 13 away in terms of quality(and it wont be a linear game).

The only other FF game that was linear that I actually loved was 10(even that game was able to include towns, and it wasn't a straight up line like majority of 13 was), and don't even try to compare these two games in terms of story, 10 had a MUCH better story line. If you've ever even played FF 10, compare the beginning of that game to the beginning of FF 13. Unlike 13, within the first few minutes of playing 10 I got hooked. Most peoples excuse for this game is "well just wait until you get about 10 hours into the game it'll get better" no fuck that, why should some one have to wait 10 hours for a game to catch their attention?

Bottom line FF 13 was a shitty excuse for a Final Fantasy game.
#24 (Edited 1327d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Redempteur  +   1327d ago
the only thing missing is the lack of mini games. the interraction with npcs was slim to none and this is what make a game world unique.

when you know the world you're in thanks to some talk with npcs .. however in FF13 , they all hate you for a not-so-good reason but that wasn't quite hard to do.

Besides .. we barely know the cast even after the ending .
Snow loves lighting's sister , alright i get it ..but what was he doing before these unfortunate events ?this way to telling the story was nice because the story never felt flat ( for me ) but i don't know anything about the character themeselves.
Fang and vanille lived in the icy town 500 years ago .. but what were they doing ?mining ? i was waiting for some insight to know the characters better but i didn't get that ..yes my true problem with FF13 is that the character develloppement is rushed and incomplete .

Aside from that this is a good game
#25 (Edited 1327d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Razgriz  +   1327d ago
Each FF has its share of haters that say "WORST GAME EVER". FF13 hate doesn't surpise me at all since I've been playing FF series for 10 years already. Most JRPGs won't ever get as musch attention as FF. Last Rebellion or Unlimited Saga Saga are really sub-par JRPGs but no one would constantly troll them by saying "WORST GAME EVARRR". More attention and popularity = more trolls
RBLAZE1988  +   1327d ago
"FF13 hate doesn't surpise me at all since I've been playing FF series for 10 years already."

10 years...well that explains a lot. Go back and play the FF series from the 90's and compare them to the installments from the past decade. Most rpg's from the 90's were better than ff12 and ff13.

@ Lannient...well said. Seriously. Most people these days don't have half the attention span or patience to play the real FF games, and most rpgs from before the ps2.
#26.1 (Edited 1327d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Arknight  +   1326d ago
Actually, nobody started having problems with any Final Fantasy games until right around 10.

You also need to compare FFXIII with SquareSoft's other older franchises which were coming out at the same time back in the '90s. Games like ChronoTrigger and Xenogears make FFXIII look like Pac-Man.
HereticDan  +   1326d ago
Did you sleep through the last five years of the nineties? FFVIII took an incredible amount of flak, hell they've had articles on this website discuss how much flak it took
hintonmj  +   1327d ago
The author seems to believe that it's naive to want the illusion of non-linearity. I think it's a very reasonable criticism. What are games except one big illusion? Half of the fun is tricking ourselves into believing there's more to a game than their actually is. I want to feel like I am exploring even when my choices are limited. You can have an extremely linear game and make it feel like you're in a real world with real choices, even if it's just an illusion. That's why we play games in the first place, isn't it?
Tex117  +   1327d ago
I will say that the battle system did try something different...It was fine...no complaints...(well, complaints until they actually let you use the system)

The world was beautiful.
The music was solid.
The story was at least decent.

But the lack of exploration or at least the feeling you have some control of what you do next is inexcusable for a Final Fantasy game.

The game to me is a 7.5...Its great once you hit Gran Pulse...If they could have made the game like that the whole way through...goodness...would have been an excellent game.

Here is a thought...

Think character design here....Are JRPGS just to Japanese? How many times do we play the emo, the spikey hair, the pip-squeak girl....

Can we not have a FFVI cast again? Was there something wrong with the sketched out art style? Something wrong with actual manly characters? Some of you thing Norma (bad sp) is the answer. I believe he is part of the problem.
guitar_nerd_23  +   1327d ago
its funny cause every1 always says when you get to gran pulse its great

i got there- loved the herds of wilderbeasts legging it about and such but there was crap all to do there (scenario-wise im not talking about all the optional bosses you cant even try to beat till youve finished the game)

totally agree about the ffvi cast- ithink it would be better if they did mario in the sense the game elements characters look like souped up 3d sprites maybe if they did that like box art for ff5 as their style theyd have time to make the game good
#28.1 (Edited 1327d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply

Version Control: Virtua Fighter 2

20m ago - Hardcore Gamer: When games jump from platform to platform, changes are inevitable. Be they small... | Xbox 360

Brashcast: Episode 46 – Strong Men Also Cry

21m ago - Ross sheds a single tear and Liam, well, Liam can’t handle it. Once he gets over it though, th... | PS4

SRN: 'Rogue Legacy' Review

47m ago - SonyRumors: We review 'Rogue Legacy,' the very challenging platformer that's available on PS3, PS... | PS3

The Legend Of Heroes: Trails In The Flash 2 Theme Song to Release on August 6

47m ago - Falcom have announced the release of The Legend Of Heroes: Trails In The Flash 2 theme song in Ja... | PS3

Sniper Elite III (PS4) Review

Now - Ken holds his breath and takes the shot with the latest Sniper Elite title. | Promoted post

Lovely Planet Review | GIZORAMA

47m ago - Tim Allen, GIZORAMA - "We’re now at the point in gaming as a medium where we can begin to canniba... | PC