Submitted by vgspectrum 1521d ago | opinion piece

Top 10 Games This Generation

MonsterVine.com Editor Zack Chase writes on his ten personal favorite games this console generation and "if you’re wondering where Uncharted 2 is, I didn’t mention it because I don’t care for over-rated garbage." (BioShock, Culture, Gears of War, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Portal, PS3, Sega's Mad World, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Wii, Xbox 360)

dizzleK  +   1521d ago
he didn't list uncharted 2 because he doesn't care for overrated garbage....then picks the dictionary definition of said garbage as his #1. *mind blown*
#1 (Edited 1521d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(15) | Report | Reply
Darkstorn  +   1521d ago
Methinks you've got it backwards.

Uncharted 2 is excellent, and Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best game this generation.
piroh  +   1521d ago
Uncharted 2 - graphical king
that game deserves to be in top 10 at least for me
Information Minister  +   1521d ago
Nothing guarantees web hits as much as some good ol' fashioned controversy. Oldest trick in the book.

BTW, I have an opinion of my own. Do I get to post an article on N4G?
#1.1.2 (Edited 1521d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report
vsr  +   1521d ago
He is jealous about Uncharted 2!
More than 100 press gave this only game 90-100marks
Dsnyder  +   1521d ago
Uncharted 2 was mmkay. MGS4 was just epic.
40cal  +   1521d ago
For me MGS4, Uncharted 2, God of War III, and Heavy Rain are all better games than some on that list.

I do agree with Darkstorn though, Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best game to come out of this generation.
DigitalRaptor  +   1521d ago
He calls Uncharted 2 overrated garbage, but picks Halo 3 and Gears of War for his list. Sorry... which Game of the Year awards did those games receive again?
acronkyoung  +   1521d ago
Dictionary definition? Have you never heard of the word "opinion"?
HelghastKid  +   1521d ago
acronkyoung
sure it's his opinion to think it's overrated, but calling it garbage is something else. A game thats gets praised from high profile developers, which have a much greater say than this one guy, say otherwise.
theEnemy  +   1521d ago
I think his list is crap.

Now that's my opinion.
tehReaper  +   1521d ago

Gears of War won a few.
RadientFlux  +   1521d ago
Someone's trash is another's treasure.
ALFAxD_CENTAURO  +   1521d ago
Uncharted 2 is overrated maybe because it is the most awarded game in the history with more than 140 Awards, probably that is why didn't include U2.
finalblink41  +   1521d ago
No Uncharted 2? This list is a joke, no to mention if YOU had to put a FPS in this list COD 4 shits all over Halo 3 in all aspect, gameplay, graphics, sales, the list goes on. note: mass effect couldn't eat table scraps from UC2.
Capt-FuzzyPants  +   1521d ago
Uncharted 2 is great. The online isnt as bad as everyone says and the singl player is great to.
dkgshiz  +   1521d ago
Of course its great.
Thats why its GOTY king.
BiggCMan  +   1521d ago
who the hell says the multiplayer is bad?? ive never once seen this anywhere. maybe some people dont like the changes from updates, but those people are just whiney bitches. the multiplayer is still amazing. if u love the game enough, u tend to not notice those updates, i know i havnt. its still the same great online experience ive loved since the beta.
ALFAxD_CENTAURO  +   1521d ago
And that is why Uncharted 2 have more than 140 Awards. Not only won the GOTY, it is the most awarded game.
Spenok  +   1521d ago
Pretty much. I was very suprised that he left UC2 off the list. Ninja Gaiden 2? Really?
TheLastGuardian  +   1521d ago
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
epic fail.
Rich1631  +   1521d ago
Uncharted 2 was complete smack dizzle on so many levels...textures, animations, story, voice acting, crazy set pieces, cutscenes, pacing, general gameplay, etc. That game was freakin' perfect, one of the few games ever made truly deserving of a 10/10. To call that overated is a friggin' crime and an insult to Naughty Dog's brillant talent.
#6 (Edited 1521d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
jmallymav  +   1521d ago
Its his opinion, y are people getting on his case, uncharted 2 is not for everyone, it will be in my top 10, but damn sure not number1, probably between 7 and 10, story is wayyy better then the mp, all I had to do was get the shotty or grenade launcher and come in 1st place like 90% of da time, killzone2 is not all that, def if it doesn't have online party lobby for a shooter, msg4...one of da best games I ever played, gameplay and graphically!just an opinion! Please don't hate
Bobbykotickrulesz  +   1521d ago
lol I think it's the fact that he called an excellent game "over-rated garbage".

How can you use the word "garbage" and Uncharted 2 in the same sentence. The guy is a fucking douchebag looking for hits, as usual.
pippoppow  +   1521d ago
Sure it's an opinion. My opinion is that Halo and Gears are both overrated but I will not call them garbage. Doing so would be ignoring those titles pluses which when added up do not equal garbage material. That statement really reeks of ignorance and scorn.

Obviously it was done to stir up controversy. The author could of simply just not mention U2 at all. It is after all just an oopinion piece with no justification required.
#7.2 (Edited 1521d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
PlayerX  +   1521d ago
This list is ok I guess.
bacano  +   1521d ago
Uncharted 2, mm
I have some friends who own PS3, but when we get together, we always end up playing Gears 2 on splitscreen. Horde mode is the best. And if you want to play online, nothing funnier than Halo.
Poseidon  +   1521d ago
demons souls (BEST RPG THIS GEN.)
folklore
infamous
mgs4)BEST STEALTH GAME THIS GEN)
gtp (BEST RACER THIS GEN, UNTIL GT5)
uc1
uc2 (BEST TPS THIS GEN)
r1
r2
kz2( BEST SHOOTER THIS GEN)
littlebigplanet
motorstorm
heavy rain (INNOVATION AT ITS FINEST)
heavenly sword
god of war 3 (BEST HACK N SLASH)
#9.1 (Edited 1521d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
Bobbykotickrulesz  +   1521d ago
lol ALL your best games are PS3 exclusives?

Come on, fanboy. Even I know that the Wii or 360 has a few games worth being on the top list of best games this gen.
inception123  +   1521d ago
"if you’re wondering where Uncharted 2 is, I didn’t mention it because I don’t care for over-rated garbage." lol yet he has halo 3 and mario the two most overrated franchises in history neither one is any different from their predecessors and also he has glitches of war 2 which everyone says was far worst then the 1st. i just have to laugh at anyone who thinks uc2 is overrated when it won over 150 awards(sweeping every goty award except from gt.com), 96 on mc based off of over 100 reviews, every dev saying it is one of the best games ever and are using it as their inspiration and selling over 3.5 mil is just plain retarded and trying to hard to sound like they matter. no one outside of ps3 owners even thought uc2 would be as good as it was since uc did just ok so if anything it exceed what people expected.
#10 (Edited 1521d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
Colonel-Killzone  +   1521d ago
Its his opinion. Anyway my list for the best this generation

Metal Gear Solid 4
Uncharted 2
Little Big Planet
Demon Souls
God Of War 3
Rich1631  +   1521d ago
Personally, I would swap out Demon Souls and replace it with Mass Effect 2, the rest I agree with.
#11.1 (Edited 1521d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
Colonel-Killzone  +   1521d ago
I agree mass effect is a wonderful game. But I'm just listing games I played etc. But I seen my friends play it I love the elements in it.
dkgshiz  +   1521d ago
Nah
Demons Souls>ME2.
dkgshiz  +   1521d ago
wow
Where are the real gamers? Your list is pretty much exactly the same as mine. LOL @ all the disagrees.
coolbeans  +   1521d ago
Yeah, that's not unfair
Anyone that disagrees with the list (not that I don't, solid list) can't be considered a real gamer? There's more than enough solid games this gen for people to have a compiled list of different games.
greenisgood  +   1521d ago
Agree with the article.

Uncharted 2 is over rated
do is halo and gears
good23   1521d ago | Spam
gamerz  +   1521d ago
Nice to see Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time get some love! It definitely makes my Top 10 this generation and I consider it a nearly a perfect game. 10/10.
nathan_snake  +   1521d ago
I agree with MGS4 being No1, but Uncharted 2 deserves much more credit from you. Maybe he should explain us what makes GeOW a better game than U2.
coolbeans  +   1521d ago
Would.....
Helping reinvent TPS be enough for you?
inception123  +   1521d ago
lol gears reinvent the tps. gears 2 was changed to be like uc buddy so if anyone reinvented anything it was uc. gears is a a complete copy of killswitch while uc actually adds new things never done in the tps genre.
#15.1.1 (Edited 1521d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report
coolbeans  +   1521d ago
^lol?
Yes, lets award only the game that just invents blindfire but doesn't perform any good execution (ie Killswitch). How many tps' have been crafted with Gears background since it's been created? TPS is basically the new FPS on consoles when it comes to range and popularity of them. Although sure I could take the easy way out and hate on anything that's become popular and NOT on my preferred system but in the end....facts are facts.

I'm really interested to hear your idea about how Gears 2 was changed for Uncharted or how UC offers originality that we've never seen. Not to be too hurtful but you should be disappointed in yourself IF you call yourself a Sony fan (or adventure fan for that matter) for practically white-washing an entire series called Tomb Raider. That's what brought great new things to the adventure fanbase. Uncharted builds upon it with a greater set of characters but no one can really call it new or that it brought anything new (unless you want to count machinma mode? lol?)
coolbeans  +   1521d ago
*claps at someone in press calling U2 overrated*
*slaps that someone for calling it garbage* :P. I'll be one of the first to tell you U2 isn't that good but c'mon "overrated garbage"? That's way too harsh but the list is pretty good overall (except for certain lower ones)
#16 (Edited 1521d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
zhangzhangAB   1521d ago | Spam
zhangzhangAB   1521d ago | Spam
MrAwesome  +   1521d ago
Here is my list
10.Gears of War 2. 9.Halo 3. 8.God of War 3. 7.LittleBigPlanet. 6.Call of Duty 4. 5.Fallout 3 4.Mass Effect 2. 3.Super Smash Bros Brawl. 2.Uncharted 2. 1.Metal Gear Solid 4. If you don't agree make your own.
jmallymav  +   1521d ago
I agree that him sayin uc2 is garbage and overrated is a pretty stupid opinion, even a blind man can tell u uc2 is sweet, but its his opinion, personally for me, I have 4 games that will be tied as my number1, geow1, gow3, MGS4, and orangebox, with me its battle bcz all those games basically changed the way I look at video games, and I been gaming since nes days.
spektical  +   1521d ago
no uncharted 2? epic fail.. just another homer looking to say "overrated".. the game was close to perfect. MGS4 is up there too.
dkgshiz  +   1521d ago
No UC2?
LOL! How many GOTY awards did UC2 get again?
BillOreilly  +   1521d ago
mass effect 2
lost odessey
resonance of fate
mgs4
ff13
tales of vesperia
the orange box
bioshock
magna carta 2
the last remnant
i love rpgs as you can see id probably put gears 2 and odst up there but these had the biggest impact on my gaming life
Calvin_D   1521d ago | Spam
magus  +   1521d ago
How many top 10 games articles are these people going to make. Good grief.
NateCole  +   1521d ago
Always agree
with any list with MGS4 on top.

Uncahrted 2 while it is a truly amazing game. It is not on the same level as MGS4. Uncharted 2 just took everything and make it better but for those that played U1 before. It was just a bigger and better U1 which is actually a good thing as i rate U1 as one of the best games that was made.

For me.
1.MGS4
2.U2
3.GOW3
4.DS
5.U1
6.VC
7.HR
8.Infamous
9.KZ2
10.LBP
#26 (Edited 1521d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
asgharagha  +   1521d ago
my list is absolutely like nate cole but mass effect 2 instead of ds at number 4
finalfantasymaster  +   1521d ago
My Top 10 Games this Gen
1.Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
2.Uncharted 2 : Among Thieves
3.Final Fantasy 13
4.Lost Odyssey
5.Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess ( Wii Version )
6.Demon Souls
7.God of War 3
8.Killzone 2
9.Super Mario Galaxy 2
10.Gears of War 2
Anon7349  +   1520d ago
Article's List is garbage, well sorta.
I can understand that Uncharted is overrated, heck it got so many awards and it's only a shiny, Generic TPS with some repetitive linear platforming, and some really, really crappy puzzles but saying that then including gears and halo? Well at least it didn't claim it as "Best top 10 games this generation" or something similar because that's BS. Since he actually included 'my' in his title, it means it just his opinion and he's allowed to have one of those.

I kinda like his list in a sense though, since it has some more obscure games and not all generic, overrated, crappy games like MW2 or madden.

Well here's my list anyways, it's not the best since I'm just coming up with it on the spot but it'll do.

1.Demon's Souls
2.MGS4
3.Bayonetta
4.Blazblue: Continuum Shift
5.LittleBigPlanet
6.Persona 4(It was still released this gen)
7.Nier
8.Monster Hunter Tri
9.Crysis
10.Mass Effect

Gamer Goodwill: Can PS4 Use the Same Tactics in 2015 That It Used in 2014?

5m ago - PSLS: "If you haven’t noticed, gamers adore Sony right now. As they well should. The company has... | PS3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Now Available on Maingear PC Gaming Desktops

10m ago - Looking for the ultimate graphics card? Now the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 is available on Maingear g... | PC

Gang Beasts is a Must-Have Party Game (Preview)

10m ago - When it comes to PC party games choices aren't as good as we'd expect. Gang Beasts may very well... | PC

Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited Review | GodisaGeek

10m ago - Sean Smith: "This is undoubtedly the finest handheld version of the Disgaea-verse that you could... | PS Vita

Study Game Design at DeVry

Why the GameJournoPros Secret Mailing List is Important

11m ago - Earlier this week journalist Milo Yiannopoulos exposed a secret mailing list between top gaming j... | Culture