Submitted by Espio1 1855d ago | news

BioWare 'hasn't even discussed' Old Republic on console

BioWare hasn't "even discussed" bringing Star Wars MMO, The Old Republic to consoles, says lead designer and storywriter, Daniel Erickson. (BioWare, Industry, Knights of the Old Republic MMO, LucasArts, PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

Alternative Sources
8800gtx  +   1855d ago
Hard to do MMOs on an unflexible platform.

8800gtx
Christopher  +   1855d ago
I think the biggest barrier is that there isn't that large of an audience of traditional MMO players who are willing to pay $10-15 a month on the consoles. I mean, yeah, there are MMO gamers on the consoles, but their MMO time is typically spent at the PC with all the other MMOs.

Just look at the responses people here have had to the subscription plans for FFXIV and DCO.
MisterNiwa  +   1854d ago
Hm, it sure is sad to be a PC-only Gamer.
#1.2 (Edited 1854d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
Kurylo3d  +   1854d ago
only sad for console owners.
evrfighter  +   1854d ago
If I was was a console only gamer...I'd be in a depression
catguykyou  +   1854d ago
Part of what makes MMo's popular on the pc is the ability to use mods, the flexibility of communication, and robust tools made available all from the same machine.

In wow, there are guilds what won't even let you run stuff with them unless you meet the requirements for specific mods installed. That way everyone is on the same page in the fight. Also, with the constant massive updates, consoles would have a difficult time keeping up. 360 has no guarantee of a large size hard drive and has to go through an approval process to issue patches with MS. This wouldn't work for MMOs. Not entirely sure about Sony's policies but just looking at hardware limitations, both the 360 and PS3 wouldn't have enough ram. MMO's are huge number crunchers, keeping track of huge amounts of data going on at any given time. A lot of reworking would have to be done on current MMOs to get them to work properly on consoles today. OR they would have to be designed fromt he ground up to support consoles.

Bioware is more concerned with getting the game working and making it fun. They can't afford to spend time worrying about making the game multiplatform. Not if they want to compete against WOW.
NYC_Gamer  +   1855d ago
alot of us console owners would buy.....
zootang  +   1855d ago
In a flash!
MiloGarret  +   1854d ago
Not me, I'm allergic to mmo's.
Xfanboy  +   1855d ago
This game is massive!! They should keep it that way!!
#3 (Edited 1855d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Darkfiber  +   1854d ago
Good, the way it should be. MMOs are about the only thing consoles can't steal. Strategy games, too, but they've tried that more, even though they still fail.
NYC_Gamer  +   1854d ago
steal what?the game would be on pc aswell
#4.1 (Edited 1854d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
T9X69  +   1854d ago
There's a few strategy games on consoles that are pretty good and very fun to play, might not be as quick and snappy like on PC but that doesn't mean they "failed". Also there's a few MMO games coming to PS3...
tommyth3cat  +   1854d ago
I do enjoy a quick round of Civilization Revolution from time to time. That, while a just a shell compared to PC CIV, is still a proper way to bring strategy to a console.
Lou-Cipher  +   1854d ago
If the PS3 would add keyboard and Mouse support to these games, then it wouldn't really be a big problem.

RTS games deserve to played with K & M, and there is no reason Sony cant have that on their games.

I definetly cant see people paying $50 for Live then being asked for an extra monthly fee for an MMO.
#4.3 (Edited 1854d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
HarryM  +   1854d ago
Haha..
You don't know a lot about gaming on a console, do you?
BeaArthur  +   1854d ago
I'd be intrigued but the monthly subscription would ultimately turn me off.
evrfighter  +   1854d ago
It's not stopping ps3 users from paying for a service that's pretty much just steam...

Except steam's discounts are untouchable and you don't have to pay for them.

Borderlands for $10
L4d2 $10
Bioshock 2 $15
Street Fighter 4 $10
Re5 $10
#5.1 (Edited 1854d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
BillOreilly  +   1854d ago
i want it on 360 i prefer games on my big screen played from my couch all the people at my work play pc and mmos so i might get it so i can play with them but im just not a pc gamer but they might turn me
Kahvipannu  +   1854d ago
As much I would love to play real MMO with my X0, I believe they deffinitely work better on PC. But games like APB, which my gamingrig would have difficulties to run good, I would like to have the option to buy it for console.

How many there is out there? FF XI,and.. hmm.. Mag? I would call it MMO, and coming FF XIV, and Agency for PS3. Rumored/delayed ports AoC, and APB, and what was it, Underworld? Or something like that coming for X0. This gen consoles have what it takes to MMO's, but I doubt there will be many near future, since they are massive to do, and console owners are new audience to them..
#7 (Edited 1854d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
lnrrff   1854d ago | Spam
Bluemaster77  +   1854d ago
It needs to stay on PC just like all other MMOs
Spenok  +   1854d ago
FFXI did well. And i have a sneaking suspicion FFXIV will as well..
PirateThom  +   1854d ago
Yeah, keep it on PC, MMOs suck.

Bring it to consoles as an offline RPG instead.
#10 (Edited 1854d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Drazz  +   1854d ago
Well they need to discuss it!!
This game originally came from a console, so why wouldn't the other sequel be on a console?
tobebech  +   1854d ago
This is not a sequel to KOTOR, this is a new game in a new genre.
Drazz  +   1854d ago
Ummm.. this IS a sequel, this is kotor 3-7+ they said it in a interview. It also sucks that I have to play this on my laptop instead of on my console where it started.
#11.1.1 (Edited 1854d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report
GrilledCheeseBook  +   1854d ago
how it could be KOTOR 3 never made sense to me as it is 300 years after KOTOR

best bet is still for a KOTOR 3 since the most TOR can do is come conversation or book ingame that explains what happened. Maybe some quick cutscene montage

only character from the original series that could make an appearance outside of references are the Droids and even then it will probably only be HK since he shows up 1000's of years later again
Seafort  +   1854d ago
Erm no they said that it has the same amount of dialogue and overall gameplay in total compared to all their other games put together.

This isnt a sequel to any game on consoles.

Its a different time frame in the star wars universe and an mmorpg which is completely different to a normal rpg.
tobebech  +   1854d ago
Sad for console only gamers, i think it would have fitted well on consoles.
bcooper56  +   1854d ago
Some games will never go consoles
First off rts games and simulation/ realstic games like arma 2 will never sell or be good on console also mmo's.

It because console gamers like action and shooters and nothing else sells good.
geth1gh  +   1854d ago
no sh#t
Why are people still expecting mmos to appear on consoles? MMOs just don't work on a console period. Mainly because of the controller. a console controller has 10-12 buttons.

A keyboard and mouse has 100+ buttons.

I would hate to try and play a mmo on a console.
#14 (Edited 1854d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Drazz  +   1854d ago
I played FFXI for 4 years, 2 years on my pc, 2 on my 360, I had no problem playing with a controller.
GrilledCheeseBook  +   1854d ago
it really depends on how hardcore PVP I need the fastest reaction out there and the quickest shortcut to my spell and abilities you are

it depends on the player
geth1gh  +   1854d ago
yea, well that mmo just dosent have the in-depth controls that a mmo should have. a good mmo with all the controls needed won't work on a console.
QQcrybaby  +   1854d ago
How on earth would a game like this work on a console? An mmo without a keyboard sounds ridiculous to me. Also consoles die and the PC never does which is needed for mmos to have a long life.

New Digimon World Re-Imagining Gets Gorgeous Teaser Trailer

24m ago - Bandai Namco has revealed the first teaser trailer for its recently announced game Digimon World:... | PS Vita

Phoenix Down 40.3 – Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

27m ago - Phoenix Down is hosted by Drew Leachman and Matt Quinn. Each segment focuses on an older game the... | PS3

VII Things That Final Fantasy VII Cannot Lose!

Now - We’re going to see a lot of changes before the upcoming FFVII - Remake sees the light of day and we should be okay with that. But here is our list... | Promoted post

AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 Driver Released - Official Driver For Win10, Offers Full DX12 & WDDM 2.0 Support

1h ago - AMD has also released a new driver for its graphics cards that supports Microsoft’s Windows 10. | PC

Q.U.B.E: Director’s Cut Review (PS4) - punkandlizard

1h ago - Northlander writes for P&L:"So you could say QUBE saved itself towards the end, and as for our pr... | PS4

Outlast An Infinite Source Of Horror

1h ago - ReviewOrigin- Outlast is something where hell won't survive, it’s one of the most horrible games... | PS4