Submitted by Sandwich Bender 1493d ago | opinion piece

Project Natal is the Future We Didn't Ask For

Ripten's Dylan Duarte takes a look at Project Natal and compares it to other "future" alternative solutions for things that work just fine the way they are now. (Project Natal, Tech, Xbox 360)

dizzleK  +   1493d ago | Funny
soylent green is made of unsold natals!
Parapraxis  +   1493d ago
I find it somewhat amusing that many people think that complex hand gestures (with Natal) will be easy for people to quickly adapt to.

They couldn't be more wrong.

How many people here use mouse gestures in their applications?
A simple click of a button or slight movement of a mouse will always win until we have an interface so responsive that a twitch of a finger can open a context menu or highlight text.
#1.1 (Edited 1493d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
darkmurder  +   1493d ago
Motion controls is the future I didnt ask for.
villevalorox  +   1493d ago
I could not agree more with you.
webeblazing  +   1493d ago
the cheat code is the startrack sign it took me 10 yrs to learn
FrankDaTank  +   1493d ago
I'm sorry but what about this is complicated exactly?

Related video
#1.1.4 (Edited 1493d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report
xDaRkModEx  +   1493d ago
We didn't ask for dual analogues, looks where that got us too.
#1.1.5 (Edited 1493d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report
Triella  +   1493d ago
Here
I repost this very self explanatory video about Natal

Related video
#1.2 (Edited 1493d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
kerrak  +   1493d ago
I agree
By the looks of this video, the experience is fun for somthing as long as 3-5 minutes. Replay value FTW!
The only area where i see natal genuinely owning is dancing games.
wages of sin  +   1493d ago
What a horrible article
How does this trash get approved? Oh wait...
NYPunk88  +   1493d ago
christ can you imagine holding your arms in that position for several hours? bad idea.
#1.4 (Edited 1493d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Nostradavis  +   1493d ago
To be honest, I never got on the Wii bandwagon either. I just don't like playing games that way. Maybe I'm just old, but I prefer games played with a controller that doesn't force me to get up and shake my limbs like an idiot.
knight626  +   1493d ago
To be Honest Wii and Natal are two different things...Wii uses controllers Natal doesnt. Do you get the picture now? but the only thing they have in common is u have to move ur limbs but at least Wii doesnt make you look like an idiot

@nostradavis iam not bashing the Wii iam just saying they are two different things but all iam saying is Wii might make u look like an idiot but at least u have a controller not like Natal that doesnt have a controller and u seen the videos of people looking dumb playing it
#2.1 (Edited 1493d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(13) | Report | Reply
Nostradavis  +   1493d ago
Knight, I understand that there are differences between Natal and Wii, and I am not knocking either one of them in terms of their appeal to others who want that sort of thing. I'm simply not interested in it.

To me, gaming involves your mastery of a controller or keyboard and mouse. It's just the way I grew up playing games. So until they are able to make games that completely submerge you in a VR world I'm going to stick with the old D-pad.
MELMAN26  +   1493d ago
People
This article is wrong, from the beginning. Microsoft never said that Natal is here to take over for the controller. They have said many times that nothing will replace a controller in video games. It is simply a new way to play. Either you decide to be apart of it or not its your choice. No need to hate it.
#2.1.2 (Edited 1493d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(5) | Report
Nostradavis  +   1493d ago
It's an opinion piece MELMAN. And to think that companies who see a huge profit in the casual sector will not dump more money into it, thereby making it the hands-down future of gaming whether we like it or not is just silly. I just hope that when the day comes that a videogame involves flexing your nostrals I am long gone.
poopface1  +   1493d ago
ahah so many people worried about looking dumb
Most of the people in the world think video games are dumb anyways.

Anyways, the stupidest looking videogame players will always be the people who make violent hand gestures while playing games with a regular controller.
you know youve seen em. Like when your friend used to thrust the controller into the air every time mario jumped.

I will always prefer a normal pad to ANY type of motion controls.
#2.1.4 (Edited 1493d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report
niceguywii60  +   1493d ago
Ridiculous article. Just more ANGRY garbage before E3 from angry and scared haters
Only Ps3 fanboys take this gripe at face value. Natal is its own future its not suppose take over traditional gaming. If you don't like it don't buy it no one is forcing you to buy Natal nor is Natal forcing Sony and PS3 fanboys to copy or buy it.
#2.1.5 (Edited 1493d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(5) | Report
xDaRkModEx  +   1493d ago
lmfao at 2.1.4 poopface1

I know people who play like that in fps games. xDD
sickbird  +   1493d ago
hahaha the 3 people who disagree must like waiving their limbs like idiots haha.
xxLuckyStrike  +   1493d ago
As opposed to what...
waving around a lit up dill rod that is simply a wii remote in desguise...good one guy ....if it was sony you guys would be all for natal....lol but its not...so many sony fanboys in denial...lmao
#2.2.1 (Edited 1493d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(6) | Report
Parapraxis  +   1493d ago
@ greeneagle, are you blissful in your ignorance?

I wanted to dismiss Move as a mere rip-off as well, but I couldn't, because it isn't.
You can have your smoke & mirrors though, I'll go with a new input format that will allow me to play games like SOCOM 4 and RE5 with as much if not more accuracy than a DS3.
;)
Bigpappy  +   1493d ago
Finally. A Natal Hate blog
This will show the haters that not all the bloggers in the world are M$ fanboys.

M$ is going to draw casuals that Wii could not. Natal is more casual and has a greater "WOW" factor than the Wii.

The Move is more of a direct Wii competitor, as it looks and plays similar. My feeling with the Move though, is that it will need games that apeal more to the Wii crowd that the current Wii games, or it will end up just selling to current PS3 owners who what to play FPS in a different way. I don't believe that is what Sony is really hoping for, but that is what I am sensing will happen.

Natal on the other hand is completely new and approachable to the casuals. They just walk up to it and start doing magical stuff. I predict that this will be what people are trying to get for fun and keeping in shape this Holiday season. Casuals don't want to play for 10 hours at a time. A good fun 2 hr workout will be move that enough to make it worth the cash. Nothing to figure out, just buy it and use it. For Natal to fail M$ will have to screw this up in a major way.
#2.3 (Edited 1493d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
strickers  +   1493d ago
Completely new?Seems a bit like the old Eyetoy to me.It may be much,much better but it's not a new concept.Good luck playing for 2 hrs.You really never played eyetoy,did you?
MELMAN26  +   1493d ago
@Nostradavis
ummm I understand that this is an opinion piece but the author is basing his opinion under false pretense. While feeding off the hits of ps3 fanboys (oops maybe I shouldn't have said that word), but everyone knows that anything anti-microsoft will get a whole lot of hits from this site.

Anyway get with the program, there will always be games that use buttons, if not then I agree with you, I will be long gone too, but for now I am enjoying all of my games on both consoles as well as the ones to come!!
#2.4 (Edited 1493d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
knight626  +   1493d ago
i find that slogan stupid IMO "no controllers required for the future" a game is no fun without the controller is like imagine a tv without a controller have to move ur arms waving them to try and chance the channel...take more movement compare to a controller
Sandwich Bender  +   1493d ago
Hahaha, I actually added the "for the future" part. But the fact that you thought it was part of the original slogan means I did a good job picking the font!

And I agree, "no controller required" is silly.
knight626  +   1493d ago
i guess u got me there but i still think M$ wants this to be the future for gaming only reason i said its stupid

@MastermindPS360 you might be waiting for Natal but i know for sure Millions of poeple arent waiting for this its to costly that people might not buy it
#3.1.1 (Edited 1493d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report
MastermindPS360  +   1493d ago
Knight.

I agree.

but same goes for move. 4 more controllers and 4 nunchuck parts plus the pseye....(if you have a family) vs one camera that reads 4 ppl at once....move will be extremely more expensive than natal...thats just a fact.
cycofoo831  +   1493d ago
haters gonna hate.
Parapraxis  +   1493d ago
Realists gonna...realize?
SOAD  +   1493d ago
It doesn't matter if by the end of this you are right.

The fact is that ever since Natal was announced a year or so ago, the PS3 fanboys were constantly bashing it and hating it.

It wasn't due to realism that they did this. Fanboys are irrational. This time, they may happen to be right in their assessment, but a broken clock is right twice a day, so it doesn't matter.

If I predicted that every product a company would introduce would fail, I would be right 50 percent of the time. Then I'd be like, "See, guys? I told you so. I'm not a hater, I'm just a realist."
#4.1.1 (Edited 1493d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(3) | Report
MastermindPS360  +   1493d ago
I look forward to natal and MILLIONS also....just some on n4g that hate but that .000000001 % will be unheard so meh
Nostradavis  +   1493d ago
I think you are missing the point Mastermind (assuming you even read the article). This is not about hate, it's about an assumption that this is what we as gamers "need" or "want." I'm just not sure the majority (or even the minority for that matter) of gamers actually want this darn thing.
MastermindPS360  +   1493d ago
i read the article..that was just to the haters on n4g man.

I just found out there was a new gow coming out on psp!!!!

seriously i hate the my wallet is coughing up dust for all theses games
crapgamer  +   1493d ago
Actually, 3-D is the future we didn't ask for.
Natal is more then just gaming, it's media, voice recognition, scan abilities, solid A.I. and throw on top of it the gaming aspects. It's more futuristic then a rehash of the Wii. Now I hate 3-D, but just think Natal with 3-D. I mean it's as virtual reality as you can get honestly. No bulky controllers and one Natal is all you need for everyone to play. It's a day one purchase for me.
Doc Sony  +   1493d ago
We didn't ask for 3D but AVATAR grosses 3 billion in box office sales.

But we didn't ask for it, rrright...
SOAD  +   1493d ago
1 billion.

And Natal has nothing to do with AI so that guy above you is deluded.
#6.1.1 (Edited 1493d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(5) | Report
strickers  +   1493d ago
AI??People talk about how voice recognition is this big new thing.Do you realise that PS3 has it already and it's no big wow.What are you going to play.My guess.No one who is looking forward to Natal ever owned the novel but ultimately disappointing Eyetoy.You can talk about how it is better but core gameplay will be the same.It has to be based on the inputs involved.
marioporter  +   1493d ago
I agree with you... mostly
I don't know if I want 3D gaming on any level. That being said, I always see people slaying Natal as a gaming option. I'm more excited about it as an interface. I don't know if I'll ever be ready to put my control down, but I am ready to walk in a room, and have my entertainment center turn on, and use hand gestures and phrases to navigate it. That's some futuristic type ish right there.
darkride66  +   1493d ago
I asked for 3d.
Hell, I've been waiting my entire adult life for videogames and movies to be in my home, in full color 3D. It's the holy grail of gaming, and something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime. Now it's just around the corner.

You might not think 3D is a big deal, but tell a guy with only one eye that 3D is just a gimmick. I'm sure he'll differ with you.

Can't wait!
ChronoJoe  +   1493d ago
Nice to see someone positive, and not just because the technology is on 'their' console.
Campy da Camper  +   1493d ago
I'm with nostradavis
To each their own but I am not gonna flail around to game. Ass in recliner, feet up, headset on. I will add accessories to my still body like glasses for 3-d but that is it.
Citizen_King  +   1493d ago
Well a controller is whatever interface you use to interact with what's on screen. Technically Natal is the controller if you think about it, just not a conventional one you are use too.
cycofoo831  +   1493d ago
Nostradavis don't be so conservative, everything starts off somewhere and to think of since the beginning of video games, people always envisioned a future of virtual reality and always tried to incorporate that with the old 8bit games to the 32 bit games etc. and now you look at our present generation with a shot at virtual reality, the future that we envisioned back in the 70's,80's and 90's is getting pretty damn close now.

Short words: The world does not revolve around you.
ChronoJoe  +   1493d ago
This isn't the right way to go about a 'virtual reality' not even in the right line of technology so it's not going to bring us any closer to a 'virtual reality' either.

Any decent virtual reality would require you to be quite the opposite, and motionless utterly. Not flailing your arms around like a spastic.
cycofoo831  +   1492d ago
Virtual Reality technically exists in our generation of games. Games such as Playstation Home (which is a step into VR) to games like Sims and the upcoming All Points Bulletin. In fact, you can consider a lot of MMORPG games as a step into virtual reality. All those mentioned are just the base of the VR without the full body interactiveness.

So now add the body interaction between video games and the person itself will give you virtual reality.

Your mindset on Virtual reality I'm guessing is something like Tron and I'm guessing you're trying to point out something such as linking yourself neurologically to the actual video game, having control over the game with your nervous system.

No, Virtual Reality does not require your brain and soul to be placed into an alternate reality virtually.
#9.1.1 (Edited 1492d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
mattman111  +   1493d ago
Te article forgot to put it was a waste of time and sucks and the move is better
Sarobi  +   1493d ago
No matter how much people hype it
Natal is not the future, never was, the normal controller will never phase out versus a full body motion detecting device, i think its just a rough gamble for people to hype it so much, because the odds of it flopping is just as great as it being a success,
Drjft  +   1493d ago
I want gaming to always stay physical controller based.
Lirky  +   1493d ago
natal = the future leaps ahead with motion technology.
blu ray = the future gives gaming devs space for hd and uncompressed content.. plus bonus things on the same disc.
#13 (Edited 1493d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
strickers  +   1493d ago
No one seems to be noticing one of the biggest problems with Natal.When sony had no rumble the 360 fans crowed loudly about how it is missed.I was thinking about the Move fighting game.Every hit the pads will rumble(more than Wii according to Edge).Now having played a lot of Eyetoy I know how doing this stuff with no feedback is disconnecting.A fighting game on Natal could not match this with no feeling of contact.Same with all tactile things and humans are tactile by nature.When the novelty wears off Natal becomes the next balance board.It will get put in the cupboard.Save your money,and no controlling a menu with it will not be better.This will also be turned off after the first hour and only turned on to show people how cool it is when they come round to visit.
ChronoJoe  +   1493d ago
If it is the future you didn't ask for, don't buy it. Simple.

Just don't be a jackass and 'try it out' then leave it in the back to collect dust with a load of shovelware.

Either way, it's not the future. It's pushing nothing that hasn't been done before, just refining existing techniques by furthering accuracy. It's not that eyetoy isn't accurate, or functional that no one aside kids enjoy using it.
Hallmark Moment  +   1493d ago
What I hear when reading crap like this day after day is: I hate that Microsoft has come up with something that excites the world and the console war will end for my favorite platform. Every thing that comes out of PS3 fanboy mouths says this, it's all I here when they troll for these articles or troll the comment section.
#16 (Edited 1493d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
pwnsause  +   1493d ago
prettyboy1  +   1493d ago
wow dude when u talk do
lil kids die?
jack_burt0n  +   1493d ago
Damn that article is a decisive smackdown.
prettyboy1  +   1493d ago
anyways the only people hyping natal
is 360 fanbois.no one else is.hell half the media think its jus a gimick,to make a quick buck.that my friends sounds a lot like ms.peace and gaming
mookins  +   1493d ago
Here we go again, nobody can criticize Natal without getting a billion disagrees and being called a PS3 fanboy.

All I have to say is that Microsoft is screwed if this project turns out to be mush.

Best of the Rest: Most Anticipated Games for 2014 - Game Buzz #83

1h ago - Dealspwn writes: Having cast our minds back across the past six months, we talk about the games s... | PC

Bastion on 360 at £2.49 Leaves You No Excuse

1h ago - Dealspwn writes: Confession time: I've never played Bastion. I only picked up a 360 a few years a... | Xbox 360

Gamerscore Whores Podcast EP17: Whores in HD

1h ago - Gamerscore Whores write "Relaunched and filmed in a studio, we are back with Episode 17 of our po... | PS4

Happy 14th Birthday Final Fantasy IX

1h ago - Can you believe it's been 14 years since the original release of Final Fantasy IX? 14 years since... | Retro

Study Game Design at DeVry

MouseCraft Review | Coin-Op TV

1h ago - The look and feel of MouseCraft is charming enough and the puzzles are engaging if not challengin... | PC