E3 doesn't just afford the media the opportunity to check out which upcoming games are looking hot, it also serves as a great indicator of trends and gives the chance to view the bigger picture within the gaming industry.
Here is the list, for the details see the article.
1. Everyone wants to go mass-market
2. Nintendo is back in the Console Wars
3. Shooters are dominant
4. Familiarity breeds lots of great games, but not much originality
5. Community is everything
6. Sony's not The Daddy anymore
7. Exclusives, exclusives, exclusives
8. Online has finally come of age
9. It's definitely going to be worth attending Leipzig Game Convention