Still wondering when the next "BIG" firmware update will drop ? Well then wonder no more, Patrick Seybold, the Senior PR Manager for Sony has confirmed in a post that, there is infact something special planned for the PS3 firmware update next.
well I hope that isn't the entire list cause that's just plain ordinary. One never knoew though....we'll see.
Nothing exciting there.
Could the "special" feature be access to XMB while you're playing games?
Bit of a yawnsome list if that's to be believed, but hey, an update is an update.
Still can't wait till next Thursday for Heavenly Sword demo tho :D
- You can now password-protect user accounts.
- [Dynamic Normalizer] has been added as an option under [Sound Settings].
- [Energy Saver] has been added as an option.
- [Equalizer] has been added as a feature under [Music Settings].
- [Full] has been added as an option for [DVD Wide Display] under [BD / DVD Settings].
- [Photo Settings] has been added as an option.
- [PS / PS2 Settings] has been added as an option.
- [RSS Channel Settings] has been added as an option.
- [Sample Rate] has been added to [Audio CD Import] under [Music Settings].
- [Screen Saver] has been expanded under [Display Settings].
- The method of selecting an output resolution has been changed in [Video Output Settings] under [Display Settings].
- [Theme Settings] has been added as an option.
- [Zero Unused Disk Space] has been added as an option under [System Settings] > [Format Utility].
- Additional slideshow effects have been added.
- [Photo Effects] have been added as a feature.
- Wallpaper feature has been added.
- [Zoom] has been added as a feature.
- Additional visualization effects have been added.
- CD information can now be entered.
- Three-speed fast forward and fast reverse has been added as a feature.
- Files can now be played sequentially.
- Three-speed fast forward and fast reverse has been added as a feature.
- You can now select [Zoom] under [Screen Mode] when playing video files saved on the hard disk or storage media.*.
*An appropriate USB adapter (not included) is required to use storage media with some models.
- Support for PlayStation 3 format software titles has been expanded.
- XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) is now accessible during gameplay.
- [RSS Channel] has been added as a feature.
- You can now have multiple chat sessions.
- You can now select an image to use as your Avatar from [Photo].
- Date and Time is now shown when the PS button is pressed.
- File sorting has been changed.
- [Help] has been added as a feature.
- Playability status with the PS3™ system has changed for some PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 format titles.
To check on the latest status, visit the search site for compatible titles.
- [Secure Delete] has been added as an option.
- Some PlayStation Network features have been revised
if the next update will be this list I will kiss my ps3 on the mouth (disk player) hahaha.. its gon be awsome...
It was the old "Firmware 2.0 Rumor" before. Can't find a link though because its pretty old. Now that we're getting a update, i guess then we're pretty close with this 2.0 rumor.
If this is the Update im goanna jump to the sky!!
Well, it's not a "Major" firmware udpate, but Sony kept the PS3 firmware regulary updated.
I'm just waiting for the "Big" firwmare update like 2.0 with XMB game access, personal music on every game, allow users to choose their wallpaper.
P.S: Hey guys, I'm french and i just don't understand how can i submit news ^^ Can you help me please ?
Well you have to pass the Contributor test to be able to post news. If you look at the right side of the n4g page, you'll see "Site Features". Click on the "Test". It will help if you will read the "Guidelines, Tutorial, and Tips" pages first. If you're ready then you can take the test. You have to get a perfect score though, but its a piece of cake if you read first the 3 pages I stated.
is this so hard to do
You got me. You've played with my emotions long enough. Give some in game XMB and music already.
If we have XMB ingame maybe they is ingame music.
I'd just like to take screenshots (to be saved as jpegs) during game or movie playback. Its not just so I can take screenshots of a Jessica Alba BR, I swear. That, and DivX support of course.
No Xvid or Divx....f**ken joke, I'm getting tired of waiting.
If you get TVersity.com, you can stream from your divx from your PC on the fly. I watch all my divx movies with that. It should hold you over till there is compatability.
Please give me RSS channel Sony. i have it on my psp but now i want it on ps3...oh and also give EUROPE N USA PREPAID CARDS
- HTML has been added under network allowing users to view HTML documents saved on the PS3 HDD.
- Save HTML has been added as an option in the PS3 web browser. allowing users to save the source of the document to there PS3 HDD.
- Priority can now be set to Background downloading. allowing you to changes the order of when a download is active.
- New Sideshow Option [Effects Show] added.
- Picture Options added [Black&White, Old, Worn, Overexposed] added under the options menu.
- Animated GIF Image support added.
- Added Graphic Equalizer added under Music Options menu. all 7.1 channels are configurable independently.
- Keyboard Mapping has been added to the sections Keyboard section of settings. shortcuts such as the disk in drive, or a particular game can be set to a shortcut on the keyboard with a key not currently in use.
At least i get to see goku destoying cell (gif animation)
How about wallpapers? Is that to much to ask Sony? Psp had this for so long.
be happy that we're even getting ANOTHER firmware update. when has any other console made firmware updates regularly? people are too spoiled with these firmware updates. people are like man wtf is this, small update... youll probably end up using these extra additions like HTML and GIF.
for example, i didnt care which PS3 to get. though, i happened to get a 60 gb wit the previous unnecessary memory card reader and WiFi. i had never thought about using any of those components. 2 weeks later, im using them all. At the time, i didn't even know what this WiFi junk was and found that it's fin sweet to see my photos through memory card reader on a 56" DLP HDTV
"Early next week, we’ll have something on the firmware."
NO mention of an actual update, but rather seems like only INFO on the next one will be coming within the next week.
I could be wrong but, wasn't the Open Beta slated for July? And now we are nearing the end of the month.
Ima keep my fingers crossed ;)
Well all i can say is that its about time. I am happy the update isnt coming thursday but early next week. having a specific day for updates is lame, i hope they realize this with the ps store too. I also hope this is a FULL update and not 1.83. Give us sumthin nice, somethin cool, I really really want pasword protected accounts. XMB in game would be great though. Really anything that qualifies as a full update will be well appreciated. We are finally nearing the big 2.0 people
* Theme Setting with backgrounds PLEASE!!!
XMB in game would be cool but so going to take them longer then this next update. Mabe by end of year.
Nothing in this update really catches my eye. I really want in game chat, listen to music while you play games & the infamous XMB in game. That would be the ultimate firmware update for this week. ALSO I WANT HOME DAMN IT!!!!!
What exactly is everyone dying to do on the XMB while playing a game?
Because then we can go chat with friends while playing. we can talk with friends useing bluetooth headset while playing any games. we can listen to any music we want during games. the possebilitys are Endless with. XMB accses while playign games!
Until I played Warhawk. I had never been big on online gaming before, but Warhawk got me hooked. Once I did start playing, I got pretty frustrated when I would get a message from a friend trying to get together and I had to exit out of the game just to see what he wanted. Sometimes it was a simple "Hey, how's it going" and then I would get really pissed. Not at the person who sent the message, but because I couldn't just pause the game and see what the guy wanted.
Still nothing on additional video codec. What the hell man!
Is it me or does it seem like there's always something new and exciting every week for the PS3.
I can't recall the last exciting thing for the 360 was, other than the warranty increase. Which IMO is more like something to be embarrassed of.
They are always adding something and its always a mistery.
And pretty much everything we want we pretty much get...And sony usally goes with the industry standards...
in game music sony.
People always seem to find out there surprises like firmware updates, price cuts before they get to announce them publicly or officially. lol
They did pretty well keeping Killzone quiet and Home up until a few days before they anounced it.
I've read something like this before. Maybe this update will add Rumble support for PS2 games. And custom sound tracks maybe?
in my games just by pressing the PS button. changing the wallpaper for my BG, and BG music, and Cross chat, and longer buddy list. everything esle is means squat. but an update is an update. i guess. and sony is continuing to update
:l This is gonna be the longest download ever, when I get my PS3 it's gonna take a bottle of rum and some Raven Riley to pass the time :[
am i the only other sicko who got the RR referance. hilarious. and i prefer Jack Daniels
why havent they added the ability to invite and join friends games or to invite friends toy our games, while playing a game etc.. hopefully adding the xmb bar during play solves that?
If these become reality then the sony online service is getting much better but its still missing the key features that make xbox live so special.
also the multiple chat is something i hope it gets becuase then theres no excuse for xbox live to not have it.
if sony keeps up and actually adds the key features even this list is missing then in about 1 year sonys service will trump live in every way plus being free, if it gets all the features the 360 has and its free then the only difference is in style versus how live looks vs how sony's service looks. and if thats the case then free sony service wins.
Its funny how people get off knowing that they have some sort of power by being able to add or remove bubbles from aposter on the internets, girlfriends and a life must be such a afterthought compared to what a poster says about oyur system which hurts you and causes you to take someones bubble away, but in real life you would coward into a ball and run away like a girl if you saw me in real life. Trolls are funny people. But if it rocks your socks then go for it, i dont mind losing bubles here and there, as long as i know i sleep with my girl at night and not my console like you.
People who are obssessed about bubbles are dumbasses. People who think that having real life tangibles like a girlfriends and a family would preclude one from caring about stuff like bubbles and post counts are dumbassed noobs.
The top three issues still haven't been addressed.
1. 1080i support for peeps with crap TV sets.
2. A web browser that doesnt' suck. Why not just use Firefox? This PS3 browser is a POS.
3. Dedicated server support. Peer to peer gaming belong in the stone age.
actually my point was i could care less about them, but since this bubble system is forced and is part of our accounts its there and noticable when you loose or gain one.
so your point is invalid.
But there is a valid point when you make posts and can see that you lost a bubble and can pin point to whom might have done so and why. nothing more nothing less.
It seems to me you mixed up the 360 with the PS3 for your part 3.
PSN has dedicated servers, Xbox-Live uses peer2peer networking for online games. But good luck on your other minority claims.
On Topic: As some people still fail to get Sonys Firmware naming scheme i'll post it again for your education:
The Firmwares are named after a simple scheme:
x. = mayor releases, huge added features considered new versions
y = minor releases, small additions to existing parts, some bugfixes
z = bugfix release, small updates to fix found bugs in a minor release
so 1.8 was a minor release, adding some stuff. 1.81 was a bugfix for 1.8, and 1.9 will be another minor release.
Expect big changes with 2.yz and big means considered big by Sony, not necessarily by you. And don't hold your breath for DivX or Xvid support. Both MS and Sony shun these codecs like the plague. Prolly cause of the movie piracy that they are mostly used for. Not that it is a problem to recode an avi to mp4 at all.
I always love updating my PS3; it's come a long way in a little amount of time. A PS button clock would be hella nice. I think the PS3 is the only electronic device in my home that has a hard time telling me the time! I just wanna log into the PlayStation Store and see the Home Beta sitting there. Then I'll be excited.
Man if that is true thats the one thing I would love to have. Because being able to chat to only one friend at a time in private chat gets on my nerves. And if what you meant by being able to chat to more than one friend while playing seperate games, thats just awesome. Now why the hell the Xbox 360 seems to refuse to do that I dont know.. But at least tell us why. I can live without a web browser on my console now. But interacting with friends online is my main concern and limiting chat to 2 is a pain.
N4G is a community of gamers posting and discussing the latest game news. It’s part of NewsBoiler, a network of social news sites covering today’s pop culture.