Submitted by vgchica 1547d ago | article

Top Five of the Worst Sequels in the History of Video Games

Brandon Thompson writes: "While there are a lot of bad sequels out there, we've decided to single out the top five we think are the worst. Just like every list, not everyone will be happy with our choices. 2K Sports fans will no doubt wonder why the list isn't compiled completely of EA Sports' Madden releases which rarely improve. Fans of series we've chosen will certainly get mad like they always do. However we're sure that many gamers will agree that the list that follows is pretty accurate." (Chrono Trigger , Knights of the Old Republic III , Nintendo DS, PS3, PSP, Sonic, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic & Knucles, Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing, Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, Sonic & The Black Knight, Sonic 2, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic 4, Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic And Mario At The Winter Olympics, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic Black Night, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Chronicles 2, Sonic Chronicles: Dark Brotherhood, Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, Sonic Classic Collection, Sonic Riders, Sonic Riders:Zero Gravity, Sonic Rivals, Sonic Rivals 2, Sonic RPG, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic the Hedgehog 4, Sonic The Hedgehog™ 4 Episode I, Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, Wii, Xbox 360)

callahan09  +   1547d ago
I have yet to see a single article from GoFanboy that wasn't complete trash. KOTOR 2? SMB 2? Chrono Cross? MGS 2? I loved all of those games. How do you put a game that never even got made as the number 1 game on the list? A non-existent game isn't exactly a BAD game, now is it?

Sonic titles since Dreamcast, OK, I'll give you that, they were a definite let-down.

All of the other 5 honorable mentions (Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, Dr3ver, NHL Blades of Steel 2000, Turok: Evolution, Bomberman: Act Zero) SHOULD have made up the actual top 5, because those were some schlock, crap, awful sequels.
vgn24  +   1547d ago
Nice to see such an open-minded gamer. lol. As I see it, Chrono Cross was good, but nowhere near as good as Chrono Trigger on SNES. That B was CLASSIC!

I liked Pitfall the Mayan Adventures. I liked side-scrolling 16-bit titles though. Dr3ver SUCKED!
BeaArthur  +   1547d ago
callahan09...haha, I was thinking the same thing. Just like Old-Wizard, everything from this site lacks substance.
Panthers  +   1547d ago
Driv3r was terrible. I bought it, played it, then gave it away as a gift thinking of how the person was going to hate me after he played it.
ShinMaster  +   1547d ago
What the--
Chrono Cross was amazing!!!
It wasn't titled "Chrono Trigger II or 2" or anything like that, so why so disappointed?
It was a different story and it was great.

MGS2 needed to happen for the story.
#1.4 (Edited 1547d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Rocket Sauce  +   1547d ago
Driver 3 should have sucked, but somehow all the glitches made it ten times more fun. Plus, film director mode was incredibly cool with all the ridiculous things you can do in this game.

Related video
#1.5 (Edited 1547d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Darkstorn  +   1547d ago
KOTOR II wasn't that bad, in fact I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. It just does not match the quality of KOTOR 1.
ico92  +   1547d ago
SMB2 doesnt count because it wasnt actually SMB2 its a redesign of Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic
and adressing the hounorable mention of MGS2, try playing that game overlooking your hate for Raiden and what you get is a pretty amazing game with a bizzare but unique and compelling story, incredible level design, and addictive gameplay, people always label it as one of the most overrated games of all time, the hate for this game has been burning for almost ten years its actually and underrated game IMHO, i mean seriously when will people get over it?
bruddahmanmatt  +   1547d ago
What a trash list. MGS2 as honorable mention? WTF? As someone has already mentioned, look past Raiden and you have a pretty amazing game. I still think that MGS2 is better than MGS4 as the story to GotP was way too convoluted. It tried to tie up every loose end within the span of a single game when in fact the various conclusions comprised enough material to span a 4 and a 5. As far as Super Mario Bros. 2, come on. Everyone loves the wackiness of SMB2 and again as someone pointed out, it was a reskinned YK:DDP. And listing Duke Nukem: Forever is a cop out. You want a list of trash sequels?

Devil May Cry 2
Driv3r
Far Cry 2 (ok game, NOT a sequel in any way sans the name to the original)
Grand Theft Auto IV
Mortal Kombat 4
Need For Speed: Pro Street
Turok: Evolution and Turok (reboot)
Twisted Metal 3 and 4

every Spyro game after the original Insomniac trilogy, and do I even need to mention MW2?
Shepherd 214  +   1547d ago
Kotor 2 was actually one of the best games i have ever played. It had many glitches, but its companion alignment system and added features made it an extremely satisfying experience. The story was also very good, as it made you feel like you really were the last of the Jedi and you could do something about it, bad or good.

It may have been rushed a bit with many glitches, but it is forgiven in my eyes. Its just too good.
#1.9 (Edited 1547d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
glennc  +   1546d ago
driver 2 sucked so i disagree driver 3 was the worst.
evildeli  +   1547d ago
Metal Gear Solid 2, huh? Guess it sucked enough to make MGS3,4, Portable OPS, MGS Ac!d, Peacewalker, itouch. I would have really added Spy Hunter 2 to the real list. Boy did that game suck.
ThatArtGuy  +   1547d ago
Spy Hunter II (Arcade)
is one of the worst sequels in all of gaming history. Such a let down and such a horrible, horrible "game".
George Sears  +   1547d ago
DMC2 sucked. Even Dante's melo dumbass personality sucked. The game deserves a sequel.
#3 (Edited 1547d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
N4BmpS  +   1547d ago
I knew someone would say it, I agree DMC 2 was such a dissapointment
Infernostew  +   1547d ago
I'm not trying to stick up for DMC2 in any way but the game that we know today as DMC2 was not originally that at all. After DMC's popularity they turned a game in previous development into DMC by adding Dante and a few other tweaks and story elements.
N4BmpS  +   1547d ago
Yeah I heard about that with DMC2. If you think back that's how the original DMC was created since it was supposed to be an RE title. But for DMC2 I think it was going to be a "House of the Dead" installment
Ironfungus  +   1547d ago
Wow, just wow. WOW. WOOOOOOOW. Brandon Thompson is an absolute f*ckin' retard. I think he might actually be the stupidest person I have ever seen in my life. I can't emphasize enough how truly impaired he is.

I can understand Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II. I can understand the Sonic sequels, and even Duke Nukem Forever.

Chrono Cross? Are you f*cking serious? What...really? Really? It was a worthy sequel (if that, the stories were unrelated from each other with some slight references to Chrono Trigger) - one of quality, a dying breed. We don't get games of this quality anymore. Everything about that game SPOOGED excellence. The story was amazingly in-depth. From a logical standpoint, Chrono Cross' story was more in-depth than Chrono Trigger's could ever hope to be because it was made for the SNES. When RPGs went to discs, the discs allowed MUCH more data to be stored, allowing for longer, more intricate storylines. To think otherwise would make you ultimately ignorant as hell. THINK. More so, the battle system was unique from any other RPG ever made and no other RPG or game has managed to replicate its success. Do I even need to mention the score, composed by Yasunori Mitsuda? It was a masterpiece that sealed the deal and topped this game off as one of the greatest we'll ever have the privilege of seeing.

Brandon Thompson should not ever, under any circumstances, be allowed to speak his opinion ever again. In fact, people whose idiocy reach a level this high should, by law, have their speaking privileges revoked immediately.

Sorry, but this definitely needs to be said here. It's because of people like him is why we don't get games of quality anymore. Because people like him, the bottom feeders, demand "quick-buck" games instead of works of art. Because of these rejects, our games over the years have turned to absolute sh*t. Seriously, Brandon Thompson, don't speak. Ever again. You. F*cking. Idiot.

Furthermore, why isn't MODERN WARFARE 2 on this list? That is by far the worst sequel in video gaming history. Bar none.
#4 (Edited 1547d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
GunShotEddy  +   1546d ago
wow
Did you nuts shoot right back up into you as you ranted and whined about an article someone wrote?
ChickeyCantor  +   1547d ago
Super mario bros USA was actually a good platformer, it was unique as well.

I seriously hope Nintendo pulls a number 2 on that one.

And duky nuky is vaporware so what is he on about.
dillydadally  +   1547d ago
I think this is the biggest FAIL article I've seen on N4G
I mean, everyone deserves their own opinion, but with all the hundreds of options, he actually chose GOOD games to put on the list! Our version of SMB2 was much better than Japan's game (look it up if you don't believe me - it was just a rehash of the first), and Chrono Cross is a better game than any RPG I've played in the last 5 or so years. Heck, it's one of the only games in history to get a PERFECT 10 on Gamespot. Whether you're a Gamespot fan or not, that alone should tell you it doesn't deserve to be on a list of worst sequels.

Sorry, but these games are just all around poorly selected - Sonic's the only one on the whole list that deserves to be there. Be more careful when doing further lists because if you don't put legitimate things on the list, people will call you on it.
eagle21  +   1547d ago
Super Mario Bros. 2 moved 11 million copies. I think it's safe to say word of mouth made the game sell back in the day. SMB2 is a solid 9/10 everywhere I go on the internet. ;)
cmrbe  +   1547d ago
Big hit and Big misses
SMB2 indeed was a big dissapontment for me personally.

Crono Cross is one of the best PS1 game i have played. Heck i like Cronos Cross better than FF8.

MGS2 might not have been as good as MGS1 but it still was better than 95% of games out.
Anorexorcist  +   1547d ago
Another Big Miss: No Deus Ex 2: The Invisible War.
Anyone who has played the first Deus Ex remembers how amazing that game was back in the day. Deus Ex had a real sense of right and wrong with regard to the decisions and actions gamers made in the game and it is I believe a better template for FPS-RPGs then the Fallout games. It still holds up pretty well today (the gameplay and story, not graphics, obviously.) DE 2 was a big letdown, comparable to Devil May Cry 2.

Deus Ex 2 was a far more worthy example of a "fall from grace" than Super Mario Bros 2 or Duke Nukem Forever (BTW, why include a damn game that was never even released? The author clearly had little knowledge of unworthy sequels.)
#8.1 (Edited 1547d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Jammaniaclord  +   1547d ago
Is it just me, or did anyone else care about the truth of Super Mario Brothers 2? The game was freaking fun as hell in my opinion, but i do agree Nintendo should have made their own true sequel, BUT, meh, i still loved that game back then.
The Dixie Flatline  +   1547d ago
For me personally it would have to be Alundra 2. It cannot even hold a candle to the original; they didn't even have Alundra in it. I still have the game though, I guess some day it might be worth something.
BannedForNineYears  +   1547d ago
Halo ODST/3?
xeromedia  +   1547d ago
I'm sick of the SM2 hate
I'm sick of hearing about how SMB2 is somehow not legitimate. If you look up the game, you see that Miyamoto produced it and Kōji Kondō did the sound. Here is a Wikipedia quote -

"Even though it was not originally conceived as a Mario game, Shigeru Miyamoto had a larger involvement in this game than he did with the original Super Mario Bros. 2 (known outside Japan as The Lost Levels) which was released in Japan. Some elements from the Mario universe already existed in Doki Doki Panic, such as Starmen, coin and jumping sound effects, the POW blocks and level warping. Also, the game's soundtrack was already composed by Kōji Kondō, the original Super Mario composer, and upon the conversion needed only a few alterations such as removing most of the Arabian elements, replacing them with original Super Mario tunes."

He had more involvement with Doki Doki Panic than he did with the Japanese SMB2. And if you don't believe the wiki page, the sources are listed.
#12 (Edited 1547d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
zekks2k9  +   1547d ago
ummm...let me see blacksite area 51 on the next gen console was bullllllllllllshiiiiiiiiit.... i was expecting a better game bcuz the first one was great.
llMurcielagoll  +   1546d ago
My opinion
I played KOTOR 2 and I liked it, I haven't played KOTOR 1 yet but I am going to soon since I own it now and based on what I read from comments here KOTOR 1 is way better.

I disagree with the Sonic Sequel bit. Technically Sonic The hedgehog franchise isn't always sequels to previous games as far as I know. For example Sonic 3D is an adventure and Sonic Adventure one and two for example is a COMPLETELY different adventure and story.

Nintendo Rants: Project CARS Screws Wii U Owners

9m ago - In the latest edition of Nintendo Rants, Shawn Long takes issue with the Wii U version of Project... | Wii U

10 of the world’s wealthiest game developers

28m ago - For those of you wanting to make it in the video games industry, here's an inspiring list of some... | Industry

Smooth McGroove turns his voice into the best instrument

29m ago - The Internet is full of individuals trying to make a living doing something unique that appeals... | Culture

Take a look at H1Z1's dynamic weather

30m ago - SOE recently unveiled a batch of images on Twitter, featuring the dynamic weath for the upcoming... | PC

Xbox One Game Release Dates

Now - For the most up-to-date release date info for Xbox One games check VGReleases.com | Promoted post

StarCraft II in Battle.net price drop

31m ago - Pixel Dynamo report Blizzard's price slash on Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swa... | PC