Today's edition of the portuguese newspaper "Diário de Notícias" includes an article where the console wars are discussed, and sales numbers are given.
Babelfish translation - now working (I hope).
Here are the main points:
- Sony has sold 20,000 PS3's in Portugal since launch (2007-03-23). That's 20x PS1 and 4x PS2 for the same period. Lifetime sales for the PS2 are 750,000.
- According to Sony, PS2+PS3 accounts for a 92% quota of the portuguese home console market.
- Sony wants to sell a total of 75,000 PS3's until the end of 2007.
- Nintendo has sold 17,000 Wii's (10,000 in 2006, 7,000 in 2007). For comparison, lifetime sales for the Gamecube are 60,000-70,000.
- DS lifetime sales are 90,000.
- They speculate about a DVD-enabled Wii scheduled for September, picking up on Sonic Solutions' 2006 announcement.
- Microsoft won't release national sales numbers.