Submitted by kube00 1595d ago | article

What was the best fps of the 1990s?

The 1990s was a great time to be a fps gamer. So many great games were released such as DOOM, Half-Life, Descent, Duke Nukem, and Quake III. Who had the time to play them all? But what game from the 1990s was most influential on the industry? Which game laid the groundwork for today's multiplayer experience? (Dark Forces, Doom, Half-Life, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, PC, Quake, Quake 3, Starsiege: Tribes, Unreal Tournament, Wolfenstein 3D)

Letros  +   1595d ago
I have 3 personal favorites
Half-Life- probably takes the cake, not much to say about this, it was just the bomb. Anyone who missed this gem, should wait until Black Mesa HL2 mod is released very soon and relive it with updated tech.

Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight- this game took many hours from me, the online was so fun even on dial-up haha, and those FMV cutscenes were so entertaining, long live Kyle Katarn! One of the first games to choose good vs. evil.

Quake II - It was raw, it was straightforward, and it had some awesome music, I still pop in the Sonic Mayhem OST from time to time.
#1 (Edited 1595d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Solidus187-SCMilk  +   1595d ago
Love those games too
My favorite FPS ever is Half-life 1. Then Deus ex.

DF2: Jedi Knight is awesome and Is the best star wars game ever made to me.

Also love Doom, DN, GE, UT, CS... the list goes on and on.
#1.1 (Edited 1595d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
feelintheflow  +   1595d ago
Redneck Rampage
hahahahahahahhahahhha the best ever.
zagibu  +   1595d ago
It's hard to decide between Half-Life, DF2: Jedi Knight and System Shock 2. Deus Ex wasn't released in the 90s, btw.
xX_JeneraL_Xx  +   1594d ago
This is the JeneraL speaking:
Damn man no Unreal Tournament? It should at least get an honorable mention. That game was the sh*t when it came out in '98

JeneraL OUT.
Army_of_Darkness  +   1594d ago
I only got into FPS's a little this Gen.
If you asked me what ""FPS" means back then, I would of been like "huh?!, what the hell does that mean?!"

yup. back then was all platform, puzzles, RPG's and action/ adventure games only.
D4RkNIKON  +   1594d ago
Not a single person mentioned Tribes and it is the article pic
Did any one other than myself spend hours of their youth playing Tribes? SHAZBOT!!
I had it on PC first and PS2 later, it was 10x better on PC.
#1.6 (Edited 1594d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
gillri  +   1595d ago
To make me choose out of Doom, Half Life, Duke Nukem, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark is just cruel
Johnny Rotten  +   1595d ago
~ Razes Hell
~ Metal Arms - glitch in the system
~ Condemned
HOSe  +   1595d ago
the 90s? Duke nukem 64 .. goldeneye, counter strike. those are all game changers my friend.
pinksteak09  +   1595d ago
pinksteak09 says:
the best fps from the 90's was (drumroll!!!)...goldeneye
Sanchez2010   1595d ago | Spam
Serg  +   1595d ago
Quake 3 hands down, the game I've played the most in my entire life.
despair  +   1595d ago
half life is my favorite really was the greatest.
Unreal Tournament also sucked away a lot of hours
and DOOM still remember the cheat codes
#8 (Edited 1595d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Rageanitus  +   1595d ago
idkfa iddqd
spunnups  +   1595d ago
Doom was the "be all end all" for my and my friends. Nothing was as fun or scary.

I gotta give a nod to Tribes though. My first true PC online game and Dear Lord! was it fun.
#9 (Edited 1595d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
bobrea  +   1595d ago
Counter-Strike, Quake 2, and one of my sleeper favorites, Hexxen :P
Turin  +   1595d ago
Doom, Half-Life and Deus Ex are all outstanding titles. I could debate all night on which is the best and would probably fail to make up my mind. I think I'll call it a 3 way tie and take the cowards way out.
zagibu  +   1595d ago
2-way tie, since Deus Ex was released in 2000.
Turin  +   1595d ago
Then I stand corrected. At least that makes the debate slightly easier.
Vazz  +   1595d ago
The 90's was an amazing time for gaming but I can easily say Doom is number 1.
Rageanitus  +   1595d ago
....
IMO

deathmatch : q3a
rpg/fps :Deus Ex
team based : C&C renegade
best CTF : ummm Unreal Tournament
best ww2 game: medal of honor

I had the most fun out of Doom 1 shareware

its a shame that console fps gamers think halo is the shiznitz when these games have done what is great with the genre.

I think the prime of FPS gaming has gotta be when quake 3 and unrea tournament battled it out for best deathmatch game ever..... I think i put wayyyyyyyy too many hours playing deathmatch games on a daily bases.
#13 (Edited 1595d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Rageanitus  +   1595d ago
oh i forgot
best cheezy humor Duke 3d and Shadow warrior
Turin  +   1594d ago
I normally take a lot of flak from Halo Fanboys when I dare to say it's not the best FPS I have ever played. But there have been so many classic PC FPS's that I feel halo never did as much to advance the genre as many of those that came before.
zagibu  +   1594d ago
Agreed. The only novel thing in Halo was the flood.
kube00  +   1594d ago
Maybe next time I'll have to include console fps
Letros  +   1594d ago
For some awesome 90's nostalgia..
Check this out, amazing how far we've come along, in 1993 a Pentium 1 was hot stuff, 800nm transistor half pitch, we are down to 32nm now =)

#15 (Edited 1594d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Enjoi915111  +   1594d ago
counter strike all the way
aGameDeveloper  +   1594d ago
Counter Strike was released Christmas 2000.

edit: Oops, I meant to reply to post #16, not create a new post.
#17 (Edited 1594d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Solidus187-SCMilk  +   1594d ago
thats when the retail cd came out
the Free DL mod came out in 99 for anyone who had Hl.
Oner  +   1594d ago
CS changed/defined FPS games forever. It will ALWAYS have a place on my PC! But I have to add that Tribes & Golden Eye should get honorable mentions as well.
#17.2 (Edited 1594d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
BigKev45  +   1594d ago
Goldeneye all the way.
baraka007  +   1594d ago
It would be to hard to say one is the best but I liked playing the first Rainbow Six on PC. It was the first FPS that I played where you needed to aim and not just run around jumping like rabbits shooting rockets at everyone's feet.
RockmanII7  +   1594d ago
I've never been a PC gamer, so I would say Goldeneye.
Irnbruguy  +   1594d ago
was born in 1990.. didn't play half-life til 2005 or something. But im gonna go with that probably.
y0haN  +   1594d ago
ಠ_ಠ
Sano64  +   1594d ago
Duke Nukem was the $#it! Come get some! Shake it babby!
SantistaUSA  +   1594d ago
I agree with you! That's an awesome game, plus it was the first game that I played online thru dial-up!!! Good times!
RBdrift  +   1594d ago
Hands Down GOLDENEYE because it revolutionized FPS's for its time.
zagibu  +   1594d ago
What exactly did GoldenEye "revolutionize"? It was a fun game, especially in 4 player split-screen, but it did nothing new.
Letros  +   1594d ago
PC shooters were light-years ahead of Goldeneye when it came out. Decent game though for 4-player split screen.

Dragon Quest X Can Now be Played in North America

4m ago - Hardcore Gamer: People outside of Japan can now play Dragon Quest X. | PC

Naruto Storm Revolution: 50+ Minutes of Footage

13m ago - Ninja Escapades, the Ninja World Tournament Mode, and free battle. | PC

Gravia Tactics is a New Tactical RPG On The Scene

1h ago - Julie Morley writes: "All the combat follows a grid and is turn-based in Gravia Tactics. The enti... | PC

All For One - CLG Swaps Entire LoL Roster When Top Lane Is Forced Back To Korea

1h ago - Counter Logic Gaming, a fan-favorite professional League of Legends team, sends all 5 starters ba... | Industry

IndieMonth: Final Phase

Now - IndieMonth is indie-ing. I mean ending. Maybe both. Today is the last day, and it's a doozy! | Promoted post

From Uncharted to The Last of Us: An Hour with Emilia Schatz, Part II

1h ago - Max Level: With all the hype surrounding the critically-acclaimed game, I recently sat down with... | PS3