Submitted by kube00 1647d ago | article

What was the best fps of the 1990s?

The 1990s was a great time to be a fps gamer. So many great games were released such as DOOM, Half-Life, Descent, Duke Nukem, and Quake III. Who had the time to play them all? But what game from the 1990s was most influential on the industry? Which game laid the groundwork for today's multiplayer experience? (Dark Forces, Doom, Half-Life, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, PC, Quake, Quake 3, Starsiege: Tribes, Unreal Tournament, Wolfenstein 3D)

Letros  +   1647d ago
I have 3 personal favorites
Half-Life- probably takes the cake, not much to say about this, it was just the bomb. Anyone who missed this gem, should wait until Black Mesa HL2 mod is released very soon and relive it with updated tech.

Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight- this game took many hours from me, the online was so fun even on dial-up haha, and those FMV cutscenes were so entertaining, long live Kyle Katarn! One of the first games to choose good vs. evil.

Quake II - It was raw, it was straightforward, and it had some awesome music, I still pop in the Sonic Mayhem OST from time to time.
#1 (Edited 1647d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Solidus187-SCMilk  +   1647d ago
Love those games too
My favorite FPS ever is Half-life 1. Then Deus ex.

DF2: Jedi Knight is awesome and Is the best star wars game ever made to me.

Also love Doom, DN, GE, UT, CS... the list goes on and on.
#1.1 (Edited 1647d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
feelintheflow  +   1647d ago
Redneck Rampage
hahahahahahahhahahhha the best ever.
zagibu  +   1647d ago
It's hard to decide between Half-Life, DF2: Jedi Knight and System Shock 2. Deus Ex wasn't released in the 90s, btw.
xX_JeneraL_Xx  +   1647d ago
This is the JeneraL speaking:
Damn man no Unreal Tournament? It should at least get an honorable mention. That game was the sh*t when it came out in '98

JeneraL OUT.
Army_of_Darkness  +   1647d ago
I only got into FPS's a little this Gen.
If you asked me what ""FPS" means back then, I would of been like "huh?!, what the hell does that mean?!"

yup. back then was all platform, puzzles, RPG's and action/ adventure games only.
D4RkNIKON  +   1647d ago
Not a single person mentioned Tribes and it is the article pic
Did any one other than myself spend hours of their youth playing Tribes? SHAZBOT!!
I had it on PC first and PS2 later, it was 10x better on PC.
#1.6 (Edited 1647d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
gillri  +   1647d ago
To make me choose out of Doom, Half Life, Duke Nukem, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark is just cruel
Johnny Rotten  +   1647d ago
~ Razes Hell
~ Metal Arms - glitch in the system
~ Condemned
HOSe  +   1647d ago
the 90s? Duke nukem 64 .. goldeneye, counter strike. those are all game changers my friend.
pinksteak09  +   1647d ago
pinksteak09 says:
the best fps from the 90's was (drumroll!!!)...goldeneye
Sanchez2010   1647d ago | Spam
Serg  +   1647d ago
Quake 3 hands down, the game I've played the most in my entire life.
despair  +   1647d ago
half life is my favorite really was the greatest.
Unreal Tournament also sucked away a lot of hours
and DOOM still remember the cheat codes
#8 (Edited 1647d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Rageanitus  +   1647d ago
idkfa iddqd
spunnups  +   1647d ago
Doom was the "be all end all" for my and my friends. Nothing was as fun or scary.

I gotta give a nod to Tribes though. My first true PC online game and Dear Lord! was it fun.
#9 (Edited 1647d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
bobrea  +   1647d ago
Counter-Strike, Quake 2, and one of my sleeper favorites, Hexxen :P
Turin  +   1647d ago
Doom, Half-Life and Deus Ex are all outstanding titles. I could debate all night on which is the best and would probably fail to make up my mind. I think I'll call it a 3 way tie and take the cowards way out.
zagibu  +   1647d ago
2-way tie, since Deus Ex was released in 2000.
Turin  +   1647d ago
Then I stand corrected. At least that makes the debate slightly easier.
Vazz  +   1647d ago
The 90's was an amazing time for gaming but I can easily say Doom is number 1.
Rageanitus  +   1647d ago
....
IMO

deathmatch : q3a
rpg/fps :Deus Ex
team based : C&C renegade
best CTF : ummm Unreal Tournament
best ww2 game: medal of honor

I had the most fun out of Doom 1 shareware

its a shame that console fps gamers think halo is the shiznitz when these games have done what is great with the genre.

I think the prime of FPS gaming has gotta be when quake 3 and unrea tournament battled it out for best deathmatch game ever..... I think i put wayyyyyyyy too many hours playing deathmatch games on a daily bases.
#13 (Edited 1647d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Rageanitus  +   1647d ago
oh i forgot
best cheezy humor Duke 3d and Shadow warrior
Turin  +   1647d ago
I normally take a lot of flak from Halo Fanboys when I dare to say it's not the best FPS I have ever played. But there have been so many classic PC FPS's that I feel halo never did as much to advance the genre as many of those that came before.
zagibu  +   1646d ago
Agreed. The only novel thing in Halo was the flood.
kube00  +   1647d ago
Maybe next time I'll have to include console fps
Letros  +   1647d ago
For some awesome 90's nostalgia..
Check this out, amazing how far we've come along, in 1993 a Pentium 1 was hot stuff, 800nm transistor half pitch, we are down to 32nm now =)

#15 (Edited 1647d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Enjoi915111  +   1647d ago
counter strike all the way
aGameDeveloper  +   1647d ago
Counter Strike was released Christmas 2000.

edit: Oops, I meant to reply to post #16, not create a new post.
#17 (Edited 1647d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Solidus187-SCMilk  +   1647d ago
thats when the retail cd came out
the Free DL mod came out in 99 for anyone who had Hl.
Oner  +   1646d ago
CS changed/defined FPS games forever. It will ALWAYS have a place on my PC! But I have to add that Tribes & Golden Eye should get honorable mentions as well.
#17.2 (Edited 1646d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
BigKev45  +   1647d ago
Goldeneye all the way.
baraka007  +   1647d ago
It would be to hard to say one is the best but I liked playing the first Rainbow Six on PC. It was the first FPS that I played where you needed to aim and not just run around jumping like rabbits shooting rockets at everyone's feet.
RockmanII7  +   1647d ago
I've never been a PC gamer, so I would say Goldeneye.
Irnbruguy  +   1647d ago
was born in 1990.. didn't play half-life til 2005 or something. But im gonna go with that probably.
y0haN  +   1646d ago
ಠ_ಠ
Sano64  +   1647d ago
Duke Nukem was the $#it! Come get some! Shake it babby!
SantistaUSA  +   1647d ago
I agree with you! That's an awesome game, plus it was the first game that I played online thru dial-up!!! Good times!
RBdrift  +   1646d ago
Hands Down GOLDENEYE because it revolutionized FPS's for its time.
zagibu  +   1646d ago
What exactly did GoldenEye "revolutionize"? It was a fun game, especially in 4 player split-screen, but it did nothing new.
Letros  +   1646d ago
PC shooters were light-years ahead of Goldeneye when it came out. Decent game though for 4-player split screen.

2014 Japan Game Awards - Games of the year announced

58m ago - The Computer Entertainment Supplier’s Association announced the winners of the 2014 Japan Game Aw... | Culture

Review: Frederic – Resurrection of Music (Pure Nintendo)

1h ago - Pure Nintendo: "I think Frederic Ressuresction of Music is a good bargin for the $6 the eshop is... | Wii U

Behind Closed Doors, Tabata Talks Final Fantasy XV, Type-0 HD at TGS

1h ago - The author was invited for a special post-Tokyo Game Show meeting with Hajime Tabata of Square En... | PS4

Weekend Gaming Hardware Sales - $188 4690 CPU, $188 GTX 760

2h ago - GamersNexus: "This week, we feature a GTX 760 for $188, a 10-button laser gaming mouse for $35, a... | PC

Destiny The Game

Now - Explore Mars, Rediscover Venus, Reclaim the moon, Protect Earth. Become Legend. The wait is over! Destiny is now available to play, Pick up your... | Promoted post

The Stomping Lands Developer Returns - Still Refuses To Provide Reasoning For 4 Month Absence

2h ago - Following a period of silence stretching almost 4 months, developers of the thought-to-be debunke... | PC