Submitted by baxy-z 1802d ago | news

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Pre-Sale Surpasses 1.6 Million

Activision is banking on Modern Warfare 2 to sell a lot of copies. Well, if the recent pre-order stats are correct, Activision could be looking at selling more than 2 million copies on the first day. The game has been pre-ordered on the Xbox 360 1.6 million times, and a little less than 600,000 times for the PS3. (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, PS3, Xbox 360)

ape007  +   1802d ago
hahaha
mw2 hater and boycotters,EAT THIS
muddygamesite  +   1802d ago
You shouldn't be so excited that MW2 is selling so well. It will encourage Activision to treat the gaming SHEEP however they like. Ah well, so is life.
GamerPS360  +   1802d ago
@ape
lol at the statement.
I don't hate MW2. It will be solid game but I played cod4 and cod5, to me it's more or less same material. Of course, I am not supporting their price hike. Not even buying used copy. I will wait for battlefield(march).Until then, I will be playing, demon's souls, uncharted2, forza2, assassins creed2, flashpoint2, possibly MAG and many others. In fact, I don't even know if I will be able to play all the good games that are coming out.

In reality, You will be eating their price hike and trail begins. And before you even know it, we will all be eating it as well.
Just like Halo ODST :D and Personally, I will be partially eating L4D2 or I could be wrong.

goes to play Demon's Souls
#1.2 (Edited 1802d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
JeffGUNZ  +   1802d ago
What are you talking about Sheep? You people know in America the price didn't move at all, it was $60 from day one and is still $60. 1.6 million 360 pre-orders are JUST from America, where the price didn't get raised. So, how does that make anyone a sheep?
Lifendz  +   1802d ago
It all stops
on 11/10/09. It's going to be all MOW2 for me.

PSN: Lifendz
sikbeta  +   1802d ago
shadow master is right, kotick b*tch is so happy right now, he is already thinking in rise the price of the next COD or many of overpriced DLC
Xgamerzus  +   1802d ago
WOW this is phenominal!
WOW this is phenominal!
Its like getting a check in the bank and you haven't even finished your job!!
But seriously. I never understood preorders.
Because god knows you can go to any department store and grab a copy of the game.
BUt i guess it helps with shortages and stuff.
BUt WOW this is a definately the game seller of the year!!
AAACE5  +   1802d ago
@shadow Master
Alot of people keep treating the Activision situation like an isolated event! You gotta keep in mind that all of these companies want to try to get away with whatever they can. It's just that Activision was actually stupid enough to make their opinions known.

You ever hear that phrase, "You give someone an inch, they take a yard!"... Same thing applies to all companies. The goal of any company is to make as much money as possible. You want to try to keep the consumer happy, but at the same time you gotta pull a few tricks if you can. Any company who doesn't follow this model runs into financial trouble... and usually end up closing up shop.

Look at McDonalds for example... I can go to McD's and get 2 Double Quarter pounders and eat them both before I feel full. On the other hand, I can go to Culver's and get 1 double cheese burger and feel full. That's strange considering that 2 Culvers meat patties are about the size of 1 McD's quarter pound meat patty. Reason being that McD's puts High Fructose corn syrup in most of their food, which tricks your system into feeling hungry even after you've eaten alot.

Oops, got off topic... i'll leave it at that!
PenisaurisDix  +   1802d ago
@GamerPS360 Are you mad
Have you fallen on your head this is Modern Warfare 2
GamerPS360  +   1802d ago
I am not mad. It is just sad that we gamer can't stick together for our benefits.
N2NOther  +   1802d ago
How does not getting a game that I want to play benefit me? You're the one with the problem. I don't know you so just because we like games doesn't mean I'm going to suffer because of that common interest.
GamerPS360  +   1802d ago
@N2N
Do whatever you want to dude. I don't really care. Have fun.

I am just type of guy who stands up for dignity. So, no buy for me, that's all.
N2NOther  +   1801d ago
How is it undignified to buy what you want. Mind you, if you don't feel like you're going to get your money's worth then that's fine, but considering the fact that I STILL play COD 4 two years later means that I definitely got my money's worth and then some. So I could not care less if Activision raised the price a few dollars. Do you not see movies that play at IMAX either because the price is about $6 more than a regular movie?
MSpence516  +   1802d ago
Less than a month, we are getting so close!!!
lh_swe  +   1802d ago
Hmm...
"pre-sale"?...PRE-OR DER!

On topic this game is going to sell like hot cakes.
#4 (Edited 1802d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Halo3 MLG Pro  +   1802d ago
Damn that's a lot of 360 pre-orders. This one is going to be HUGE.
spirited  +   1802d ago
like we didnt know
MajestieBeast  +   1802d ago
Next cod will cost 90$ thanks to this.
JeffGUNZ  +   1802d ago
Do you even read the articles? This is AMERICA pre-orders. Guess what DIDN'T happen in America? They didn't raise the price. In America, it's still $60.
sikbeta  +   1802d ago
So what, If people in other countries don't want to pay for an overpriced COD and start to lose sales, Activision will raise the price in America, basic law supply and demand
#7.2 (Edited 1802d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
N2NOther  +   1802d ago
Actually no, it's not supply and demand. Supply and demand is when the supply is low and the demand is high. This is not the case.
sikbeta  +   1802d ago
You can take it that way when you see this games is going to be one of the best sellers of this gen, really I don't saying that this is the case, but Activision can take it as an excuse to raise up the price
TheDeadMetalhead  +   1802d ago
*cue Kotick laughing maniacally* -_-
BuffaloBill  +   1802d ago
Xbox owners, nothing else to play?
Seems odd they all have to flock to a particular title. Clearly PS3 owners have enough quality titles to keep them occupied and not have to flock to a particular title.
lindquist  +   1802d ago
Hm.
Or perhaps its just that xbox360-owners tend do buy more games than ps3-owners? Just a thought.
JeffGUNZ   1802d ago | Spam
BuffaloBill  +   1802d ago
Uncharted 2 preoders are half a million in the US, which should easilly equate to a million globally. So your BS about MW2 pre-orders being double is clearly nonsense. (unless you mean across both platforms, which would be a moronic claim).

It's clear my comment upset the Xbots, I can only imagine it was a bit too close for comfort.

I have both consoles, but I haven't switched my 360 on in about 6 months, there is nothing worth playing that I can't already ger on PS3, and I don't need to worry that my PS3 will fail due to playing those games too much.
Sez  +   1802d ago
@ BuffaloBill
"It's clear my comment upset the Xbots" ah no. it's clear that JeffGUNZ upset you. because MW2 has more pre-order sales than UC2 in america. and then you try to bring up global sales of uncharted 2. when you know MW2 still out sold it.

i have both console too. and i haven't turned on my ps3 to play anything. because nothing on it interest me.the last game i played on the ps3 was KZ2. and sold it 3 days later. back in march. i play games on my PC and my 360.i not interested in UC2 cuase i wasn't impreesed with the first. the only game i'm waiting for is GoW3. that it.

see what i did there.
#9.4 (Edited 1802d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
JeffGUNZ  +   1802d ago
@ BuffaloBill
Hate to do this to you, but I am going to prove you're a liar.

1 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 X360 1,653,246
2 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 PS3 570,015
3 Uncharted 2: Among Thieves PS3 297,004

Those are America's 3 top pre-orders in America. Please tell me how you get half a million from that number? Please? MW2 for the PS3 is exactly ahead 273,011 units than the UC2. MW2 is 17,993 units away from being EXACTLY DOUBLE the amount of pre-orders. Stop being a fanboy. MW2 is big deal and EVERY platform, including PC is eagerly awaiting it's arrival.

Here's the link, just in case your dumb*ss doesn't believe
me.

Please, show me some global figures for pre-orders? I want to see if what you say is just pure guess or you have numbers to back it up. What I presented are ACTUAL current numbers, you just make sh*t up.
#9.5 (Edited 1802d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
condemmedman  +   1802d ago
Lol yeh nice one thats why i've got loads more games for my xbox than my ps3. only new game this year for ps3 is Uncharted 2. Dont talk bull it makes you look childish. Both machine's do just fine.
#9.6 (Edited 1802d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
BubbleSystemSuck  +   1802d ago
did MW2 surpase GTA4 first week sales?
tdogchristy90  +   1802d ago
I may be wrong on this but wasn't halo 3 pre-order sales 3million? Anywho I'm definately looking forward to this game, and yes I agree with the people who said that this isn't "sheeping" given prices didn't rise in america. I will say however that activisions talk as of late does worry me.
bjornbear  +   1802d ago
The beast is being fed
by the very people that hate it =P but considering the game i'm not surprised =) def gna pick it up
xg-ei8ht  +   1802d ago
vega75 - i see what you did there.

You are basically saying that you like FPS the most.

Strangely most of us do.

I'm getting Uncharted 2.

Because i like a good story inbetween the mayhem.

But lets be totally honest here.

Most people who plays FPS, plays the online first. and play the sp when they can be bothered.

I do it the other way around, i like to enjoy the story, the way the guns handle and then play the online.

The thing is, alot want to reach the top in rank and online leaderboards. But it proves nothing.

Too many variables in online gaming anyway.

Ping,Hops,rank,perks,etc.

People with sh^te cons get more assists, then killz.
Sez  +   1802d ago
@xg-ei8ht
No offense. but you don't know me. so in that sense you don't know what i like. people need to stop assuming what people like and don't like. i never said i like FPS the most. so why would you assume that. i like all games except sports games. uncharted didn't do anything for me. the graphic was good. but the gameplay and story just wasn't my cup of tea.

@below.

For me. It wasn't. I don't speak for anyone else. Just my opinion
#13.1 (Edited 1802d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
solidjun5  +   1802d ago
REally?
"while most sony fanboys claim a game is great because they have good graphics. i rely on gameplay. thats why i didn't like KZ2. and uncharted felt like tombraider to me. like i said i'm waiting for GoW3 (which isn't a FPS). "

That's funny. Gameplay is more important to me too and I think KZ2 was amazing and uncharted doesn't feel like Tombraider. Are you implying that it just wasn't great?
bjornbear  +   1802d ago
I also put gameplay above anything
as any real gamer should...and i loved killzone 2's. Its weird, but i found it great! I'm tired of FPS's that feel like you're on roller blades...it felt authentic =) and i love that about it because theres nothing like it
Some hate it, others love it, it shows it makes a difference =)
EVILDEAD360  +   1802d ago
@ Soljun

Why knock Vega when he is dead on. How can you pretend the original Uncharted didn't feel anything like Tomb Raider? Uncharted completely took what was good about Tomb Raider added phenominal production values and better controls (weapon play etc) and came away with a franchise. But at the end of the day those gameplay ements don't appeal to everyone. In fact, I've heard it more than once a out that game from people outside of the Internet.

On subject, it's clear that the people trying to paint MW2's mass preorder success as a negative are just haters and you'll notice how a bunch of them are PS3 f-boys, even though MW2 will be the top selling game on their system when it's all said and done.

Great news for infinity ward!! Now back to picking up my Uncharted 2 and finished getting my @ss handed to me in Demons Souls.
solidjun5  +   1801d ago
yea...
whatever you say buddy. @_@
#13.5 (Edited 1801d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
cyberwaffles  +   1802d ago
everyone being addicted to noob games this gen is starting to get annoying.

Final Fantasy XV’s Trailer: A Shiny Road Trip

9m ago - CCC Says: "Millions of Final Fantasy fans watched the brand new Final Fantasy XV trailer released... | PS4

Everything wrong with Destiny, and how Bungie can fix it

10m ago - VGFirst presents their in-depth, component by component analysis Destiny while providing their re... | Xbox 360

The Player That Destiny Forgot

10m ago - Paul's overriding experience with Destiny has been one of isolation, exclusion and, if he's hones... | Xbox 360

The Glorious Return of the CRPG

11m ago - A terrific feature about the return of great RPGs following in the spirit of games like Baldur's... | PC

Destiny The Game

Now - Explore Mars, Rediscover Venus, Reclaim the moon, Protect Earth. Become Legend. The wait is over! Destiny is now available to play, Pick up your... | Promoted post

Destiny Crucible Tips: Simple Guide For Succeeding In Bungie's Competitive Multiplayer Mode

12m ago - The Crucible offers your standard deathmatch and objective-based game modes, but there are many v... | Xbox 360